UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sprezz

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 pm

tldr if local = charlottesville, then local 1L most likely = a research assistant job with professor; richmond firm 1L is a long shot but a few will get it. richmond firm 2L is a bit more likely but probably need some degree of ties to have a shot. local 2L is mostly going to be a few PI opportunities, not much by way of 2L firm jobs in cville.

typical 1L summer is probably judge internship i guess, although people are doing a bunch of random things all over the place including firms and PI.
typical 2L summer is probably summer at a firm somewhere, although that's not guaranteed [grades interview skills etc etc]. again people who aren't doing this are doing a bunch of random things all over the place.

hard to paint with strokes this broad. a lot depends on what each individual is pushing for and in what market(s).

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Anyone have any great supplement recommendations for Schwartzman's con law?

smartypants2014

Postby smartypants2014 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Could someone comment on living at the Jeffersonian? Seems to be the closest apartment complex to the law school

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

smartypants2014 wrote:Could someone comment on living at the Jeffersonian? Seems to be the closest apartment complex to the law school

Unless you've got a specific question about the Jeffersonian, you'll get much more information by just searching through the thread, it's been talked about dozens of times. Look for the "Search Forum" button at the bottom of the page.

LadyMary

Postby LadyMary » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Can someone share advice on how to do well on Sinclair's evidence exam?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:47 pm

LadyMary wrote:Can someone share advice on how to do well on Sinclair's evidence exam?

That question seems really vague. Is there something unique about Sinclair's exams that prevent normal exam techniques from being applicable?

lzack

Postby lzack » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:29 am

Hi all, just wrapping up my UVA visit and I'm pretty sure I'm joining you in the fall!

I just wanted to check in about housing. I've read a lot of the housing discussion that happened on this thread back in January, but now that it's April I don't seem to have a lot of the same options. When should I start looking? Is it already too late to find a place on Arlington?

I'd prefer to live alone and I want to live within walking distance of both the school and a grocery store, but other than that I'm honestly pretty flexible on living conditions and not too concerned about cost (as everything in C-ville seems crazy cheap to me).

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

lzack wrote:Hi all, just wrapping up my UVA visit and I'm pretty sure I'm joining you in the fall!

I just wanted to check in about housing. I've read a lot of the housing discussion that happened on this thread back in January, but now that it's April I don't seem to have a lot of the same options. When should I start looking? Is it already too late to find a place on Arlington?

I'd prefer to live alone and I want to live within walking distance of both the school and a grocery store, but other than that I'm honestly pretty flexible on living conditions and not too concerned about cost (as everything in C-ville seems crazy cheap to me).

While I've expressed negative opinions about the value of the pavilion, that is likely to be your best option. Jeffersonian is full and the Grad Center or whatever its called doesn't have one bedrooms to my knowledge. You could try to check Craigslist often for an Arlington Condo.

Generally, I'd suggest you live in Ivy but at least I personally wouldn't consider that walking distance from the grocery store. Not because the walk to the grocery store is onerous, but carrying back groceries the whole way would be.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Heat wrote:
lzack wrote:Hi all, just wrapping up my UVA visit and I'm pretty sure I'm joining you in the fall!

While I've expressed negative opinions about the value of the pavilion, that is likely to be your best option. Jeffersonian is full and the Grad Center or whatever its called doesn't have one bedrooms to my knowledge. You could try to check Craigslist often for an Arlington Condo.

Generally, I'd suggest you live in Ivy but at least I personally wouldn't consider that walking distance from the grocery store. Not because the walk to the grocery store is onerous, but carrying back groceries the whole way would be.

If you want a one bedroom, there's literally no point in getting one at the pavilion, though. You could get a two bedroom townhouse on Arlington (Woodard properties) all to yourself for less than the cost of a one bedroom at the Pavilion.

--LinkRemoved--

It's directly across from the pavilion

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I think Ivy Gardens has gotten a bad rap in this thread. It's cheap, it's close, everyone has balconies unlike pavilion, management is responsive.

The pavilion seems like prison to me.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Ivy is fine, but if you don't have a car,
Getting groceries is a pain

danitt

Postby danitt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:58 pm

jacksonmead wrote:I think Ivy Gardens has gotten a bad rap in this thread. It's cheap, it's close, everyone has balconies unlike pavilion, management is responsive.

Who in the pavilion doesn't have a balcony?

But seriously though, a one bedroom in the pav makes zero sense.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Pavilion is nice if amenities are something you're looking for - pool, club house, gym, etc. Otherwise, I think 5ky's suggestion is a great one. I had never considered it before, but Arlington Park is pretty much the same price and you get more space plus a (very small) backyard. Pavilion will feel cleaner and nicer though since it's much newer.

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm

5ky wrote:Ivy is fine, but if you don't have a car,

I just found this:

http://www.zipcar.com/uva/compare-plans

It would make Ivy a pretty good option.

Has anyone used a zip car in Charlottesville?

How soon does one have to reserve a room at the Ivy? Do you guys know whether there is a long waitlist?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Cocoblues wrote:

I just found this:

How soon does one have to reserve a room at the Ivy? Do you guys know whether there is a long waitlist?

I think there is surplus demand at Ivy. Not to say it deserves that to be the case, just that there are other options in town now. (See, e.g., The Pavilion)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Can someone on Libel post the 2014 vids already btw

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 pm

Cocoblues wrote:

I just found this:

that seems like more hassle than it's worth. there's a bus line you can take from getting groceries to near ivy. it's not perfect but if you are carrying a bunch of stuff it does the job okay.

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:10 am

5ky wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:

I just found this:

that seems like more hassle than it's worth. there's a bus line you can take from getting groceries to near ivy. it's not perfect but if you are carrying a bunch of stuff it does the job okay.

Oh, ok. That too would work.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 pm

FWIW - one of my favorite parts of living in Cville was ability to take an afternoon drive to the countryside/winery/brewery outside of town. Having a car allows you to experience amazing autumn colors of the Blue Ridge, the majesty of spring-time patio beers at Blue Mountain Brewery. Damn, I miss it. Especially when stress of 1L finals come around, a 30 minute drive into the country-side is invaluable. That being said, you could also do that with a friend who has a car.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:53 pm

danitt wrote:
jacksonmead wrote:I think Ivy Gardens has gotten a bad rap in this thread. It's cheap, it's close, everyone has balconies unlike pavilion, management is responsive.

Who in the pavilion doesn't have a balcony?

But seriously though, a one bedroom in the pav makes zero sense.

Thought everyone had a balcony. And yeah, the one bedroom is duuuuuuumb. Get a two and hope they don't match you with anyone haha.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:16 pm

desertlaw wrote:FWIW - one of my favorite parts of living in Cville was ability to take an afternoon drive to the countryside/winery/brewery outside of town. Having a car allows you to experience amazing autumn colors of the Blue Ridge, the majesty of spring-time patio beers at Blue Mountain Brewery. Damn, I miss it. Especially when stress of 1L finals come around, a 30 minute drive into the country-side is invaluable. That being said, you could also do that with a friend who has a car.

seconding this -- i think most people are fine with cville, but i think falling in love with cville is way, way, way more likely with a car or access to a friend with a car who's down for whatever.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Br3v wrote:Can someone on Libel post the 2014 vids already btw
They've been posting them slowly - check the Libel Show YouTube channel. There's only one left to go up (expect it by the end of the week at the latest). One video that was shown at the show won't be posted online for obvious reasons.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:50 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
They've been posting them slowly - check the Libel Show YouTube channel. There's only one left to go up (expect it by the end of the week at the latest). One video that was shown at the show won't be posted online for obvious reasons.

Huh? I'm dense, what are the obvious reasons? I was at the show, but don't know what you mean.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

Huh? I'm dense, what are the obvious reasons? I was at the show, but don't know what you mean.
The video I'm referencing is the one that all the guys laughed at but none of the girls got. For professional reasons it won't be posted. Enough on that.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 pm

[/quote]The video I'm referencing is the one that all the guys laughed at but none of the girls got. For professional reasons it won't be posted. Enough on that.[/quote]

ah, gotcha

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”