UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rachellen
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rachellen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 pm

manillabay wrote:Are undergrad girls into 1L's with nice car?


For real?

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:08 pm

lololololol

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:14 pm

rachellen wrote:
manillabay wrote:Are undergrad girls into 1L's with nice car?


For real?



ALL girls are into guys with nice cars. Where have you been living?

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby patogordo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:17 pm

manillabay wrote:Are undergrad girls into 1L's with nice car?

hate to break it to you but girls in c-ville care way more about what gang you're repping than what car you're driving

rachellen
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rachellen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rachellen wrote:
manillabay wrote:Are undergrad girls into 1L's with nice car?


For real?



ALL girls are into guys with nice cars. Where have you been living?


Hahahaha, well I meant something very different with that "for real?" but alright. ;)

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6422
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Heat wrote:Personally 10,000 would not be anywhere near enough for me for 10 months.


I just want to add that Mr. Heat is a relatively frugal individual. Like, I have to twist his arm every time I want to have dinner at a restaurant fancier than Buffalo Wild Wings. You should know that if $1k a month is not enough for him, it's probably not enough for you, either. Even if you have roommates, $1k a month is hard. It's not just about eating out and buying drinks. Incidental expenses come up throughout the year. If you own a car (and it ever needs repairs), if you pay your own phone bill, if you buy your own clothes (especially interview clothes), if you have a pet, $1k a month is just not going to cut it.

But my understanding is that you can take less than the maximum amount of loans and then apply for more if you find that you're strapped for cash. So maybe try that!

Gonna add to this - Insurance. If you're not on your parent's insurance, UVA Aetna's insurance is like 2300 bucks for the year. It's excellent insurance (low deductible/co-pay), but that will probably put you North of the 10k estimate.

I live frugally, but with insurance I'm definitely north of 10k.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 am

First Offense wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
Heat wrote:Personally 10,000 would not be anywhere near enough for me for 10 months.


I just want to add that Mr. Heat is a relatively frugal individual. Like, I have to twist his arm every time I want to have dinner at a restaurant fancier than Buffalo Wild Wings. You should know that if $1k a month is not enough for him, it's probably not enough for you, either. Even if you have roommates, $1k a month is hard. It's not just about eating out and buying drinks. Incidental expenses come up throughout the year. If you own a car (and it ever needs repairs), if you pay your own phone bill, if you buy your own clothes (especially interview clothes), if you have a pet, $1k a month is just not going to cut it.

But my understanding is that you can take less than the maximum amount of loans and then apply for more if you find that you're strapped for cash. So maybe try that!

Gonna add to this - Insurance. If you're not on your parent's insurance, UVA Aetna's insurance is like 2300 bucks for the year. It's excellent insurance (low deductible/co-pay), but that will probably put you North of the 10k estimate.

I live frugally, but with insurance I'm definitely north of 10k.


While I will say I didn't even think of other living expenses beyond rent and food (I was just thinking of room and board, literally), health insurance is separated out from cost of attendance. They say like $16,300 for living expenses with a separate 2400 for health insurance.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Would you guys recommend living in University Place as a law student? The price, amenities, and free shuttle all look pretty great, but is this more for undergrad students?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

monsterman wrote:Would you guys recommend living in University Place as a law student? The price, amenities, and free shuttle all look pretty great, but is this more for undergrad students?


I've known law students who lived there, but its pretty far out of the way from school and any socializing. Given the lack of nearby amenities, I think you'd be frustrated living there.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 am

Okay thanks, I kinda figured being so far wouldn't be so great. What about the range? Is this a realistic living option? Assuming I got accepted to it.

User avatar
sunsheyen
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sunsheyen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 am

monsterman wrote:Okay thanks, I kinda figured being so far wouldn't be so great. What about the range? Is this a realistic living option? Assuming I got accepted to it.


Not a current UVA Law student, but went there undergrad. You could catch a bus (Free UTS) from Central Grounds to the law school. This is probably about 7-10 minute ride. If you walk to North Grounds, maybe 20 minutes? There are also a couple of significant hills that way.

Keep in mind for the Range, you are in a single room on the rear of the Lawn. The restrooms/shower areas are spaced out between Pavilions, so there will be outside walking to bathe or poop. Fireplace and sink, no A/C. There will also be the noise that comes with Central Grounds and the Lawn. Traffic, events, etc. But it is the Range, so there's that.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 am

monsterman wrote:Okay thanks, I kinda figured being so far wouldn't be so great. What about the range? Is this a realistic living option? Assuming I got accepted to it.
If you're concerned about distance, Arlington condos are the way to go - or Ivy at the very least. Check craigslist for listings. If you get a roommate you can pay as little as $350 in some Arlington condos before utilities. Ivy will be a little pricier. Pav will be way pricier. The Jeff isn't really an option at this point.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:11 pm

sunsheyen wrote:
monsterman wrote:Okay thanks, I kinda figured being so far wouldn't be so great. What about the range? Is this a realistic living option? Assuming I got accepted to it.


Not a current UVA Law student, but went there undergrad. You could catch a bus (Free UTS) from Central Grounds to the law school. This is probably about 7-10 minute ride. If you walk to North Grounds, maybe 20 minutes? There are also a couple of significant hills that way.

Keep in mind for the Range, you are in a single room on the rear of the Lawn. The restrooms/shower areas are spaced out between Pavilions, so there will be outside walking to bathe or poop. Fireplace and sink, no A/C. There will also be the noise that comes with Central Grounds and the Lawn. Traffic, events, etc. But it is the Range, so there's that.


I'm a current UVA student, and I take the bus from main grounds to north grounds twice a week. It's generally pretty painless.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live on the range. Rooms are tiny. People have been known to pee in their sink rather than go outside. Twin beds, if you're having company over. It's old, sure, but no thanks.

Legen..waitforit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Legen..waitforit » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Can you accept offers from two journals?

User avatar
UVAIce
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby UVAIce » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes, but why?!? One journal can be more than enough to ruin some nights.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 pm

accepting offers from two secondary journals is a net negative, don't do it

double the work, and journal work does not give you relevant lawyering skills beyond flipping through the bluebook a few extra times. you're more likely to confuse an interviewer as to why you're the one person who couldn't find a way to spend time on something more interesting/stimulating than a second journal than you are to wow them with your work ethic. no upside to this call.

klm550
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby klm550 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:21 am

Can anyone comment on what Schragger exams are like?
Last edited by klm550 on Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legen..waitforit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Legen..waitforit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 am

VTR or VLBR? How should I decide? Leaning toward VLBR b/c it has the words "Virginia," "Law," and "Review" in it. I'd appreciate any helpful comments, except for "It doesn't matter bro, just pick one." Thanks

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

which one has fewer cite checks? --> that one

although, i think VLBR makes everyone grade 1L tryouts, which is like a cite check and a half. my assumption from talking to my friend on VTR is that only the editing board does that for them. so maybe put an extra cite check on the scale for VLBR, unless someone can confirm VLBR doesn't require that.

alternatively: which label would you rather have on your resume? --> that one.

alternatively (my approach): uh, shit, uhhhhm, which one has a better website? okay i'll --> that one.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 am

VTR made the 3Ls grade 1L tryouts last year.

cfr1225
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cfr1225 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Legen..waitforit wrote:VTR or VLBR? How should I decide? Leaning toward VLBR b/c it has the words "Virginia," "Law," and "Review" in it. I'd appreciate any helpful comments, except for "It doesn't matter bro, just pick one." Thanks


VTR is nationally ranked in its subject area. If you actually want to do tax law, I've heard from a few of my friends on VTR that during OGI season one or two tax partners would be familiar with the journal and actually view it as a plus, which is exceedingly rare for any journal (even being on VLR has no substantive benefits in terms of interviews - it's just a proxy the interviewers can use to figure out just how high in the class in you are).

Also, VTR has a pretty good softball team.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
Legen..waitforit wrote:VTR or VLBR? How should I decide? Leaning toward VLBR b/c it has the words "Virginia," "Law," and "Review" in it. I'd appreciate any helpful comments, except for "It doesn't matter bro, just pick one." Thanks


VTR is nationally ranked in its subject area. If you actually want to do tax law, I've heard from a few of my friends on VTR that during OGI season one or two tax partners would be familiar with the journal and actually view it as a plus, which is exceedingly rare for any journal (even being on VLR has no substantive benefits in terms of interviews - it's just a proxy the interviewers can use to figure out just how high in the class in you are).

Also, VTR has a pretty good softball team.


Do not pick based on which is ranked higher.

Only pick VTR if you want to do tax. Other than that there's no reason for it.

Legen..waitforit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Legen..waitforit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:50 pm

thanks

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Cocoblues » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:01 am

Does anyone here (current UVA students) have a kid? Please PM me. I'm interested in parental stuff. Thanks. :D

raetheon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby raetheon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 am

What does typical summer employment look like for 1l and 2l summers? Is local and/or Richmond possible?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hgtv, MattiaLeone, tomwatts and 2 guests