UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon sequitur

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

anyone have experience finding a professor to sponsor independent research? Do you just go by office hours and ask? Seems weird, like asking someone on a date. I'm doing an externship next semester and part of that is doing an independent research project so we can all pretend that the point of law school is to produce legal scholars. Do I just ask professors I like, or professors with background in the area I'm going to do research in (problem, I have no idea what kind of research I want to do)? Seems most of the professors I like are the popular ones and I don't know if their dance cards are already filled.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Is there anything worse than a 0L gunning while sitting in on a 1L class?

LadyMary

Postby LadyMary » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Is there anything worse than a 0L gunning while sitting in on a 1L class?

One of those bomb threats could have been real. That would probably be worse :shock:

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Is there anything worse than a 0L gunning while sitting in on a 1L class?

Share, please

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:53 am

anon sequitur wrote:

Share, please
0L was visiting my ConLaw class. Was quiet for most of the class but raised his hand super quick when the prof asked an open ended question. My class usually has one guy who answers all those open ended questions so it was a shock to most of us that Mr. 0L beat him out. Prof was kind of surprised too. The answer wasn't bad but still. Why would you do that? If the kid was in at UVA already, there's no benefit and if the kid wasn't, it's not like my prof was going to write a recommendation based on class participation.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Anyone have any info on how helpful it is to be a Dillard Scholar? How valuable is the faculty mentor aspect?

Also, I am currently in Charlottesville and if anyone wants to grab breakfast tomorrow, my wife and I would love to meet some more UVA students and get your perspective on what UVA has to offer. PM me if you are interested.

EDIT: I have not visited a class at UVA so I am not THAT 0L :)

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:09 pm

anon sequitur wrote:anyone have experience finding a professor to sponsor independent research? Do you just go by office hours and ask? Seems weird, like asking someone on a date. I'm doing an externship next semester and part of that is doing an independent research project so we can all pretend that the point of law school is to produce legal scholars. Do I just ask professors I like, or professors with background in the area I'm going to do research in (problem, I have no idea what kind of research I want to do)? Seems most of the professors I like are the popular ones and I don't know if their dance cards are already filled.

You've already got it. Look around and find a professor with relevant background (ones you like aren't going to want to supervise an independent study in an area they have no clue about). In any given area, there are probably a few different profs who could plausibly do it. Ask around to see who's easier to work with, then just shoot that prof an email, explain what you're hoping to do, and ask if you can swing by office hours to discuss. Most are pretty amendable to it. Shouldn't be a big deal.

North

Postby North » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:06 pm

So what's this I hear about a second round journal tryout? Because I'm pretty sure that what I'm writing/bluebooing ATM is garbage.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 pm

North wrote:So what's this I hear about a second round journal tryout? Because I'm pretty sure that what I'm writing/bluebooing ATM is garbage.

There's a first round of journal selection based on your preferences. If you don't get one/don't get one you really want, you can submit preferences for "second round" to journals that under-subscribed their membership in the first round.

Basically, you're not boned if you REALLY want a journal but don't get one after round 1. That situation is relatively common, while being totally shut out is relatively rare. Regarding Journals generally, as with most things, the best thing you can do is stop freaking out.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm

What you write doesn't even matter for most journals, I think. They only care about the bluebooking and editing portion.

Law review excluded, obviously. Maybe a few others.

Cheerios2014

Postby Cheerios2014 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 am

Posted this in the UVA application thread, but might be better here.

I'm waitlisted at UVA and am coming to visit at the end of March. Would any current students be willing to meet for coffee or something with me? Please PM me if so.

Thanks!

persia1921

Postby persia1921 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Do many law students live in Woodlands? The apartments seem nice especially for the price... Is the commute doable and or is parking at the law school a pain?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:51 pm

i know of a few that lived in the woodlands at one point or another. commute to/from law school isn't a problem, and there's plenty of close parking to the law school. might be annoyed living that far away from everything that's not the woodlands, though..there isn't anything going on there. but if that doesn't bother you, you'd probably be just fine there.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Gambini room has become my favorite study room.

Two windows? Yes please.

persia1921

Postby persia1921 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone else who has lived there/spent time there have any other comments? My biggest concern was the commute, but from what has been posted so far that does not seem to be and issue.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:53 pm

persia1921 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Does anyone else who has lived there/spent time there have any other comments? My biggest concern was the commute, but from what has been posted so far that does not seem to be and issue.

I don't live at the Woodlands but live very close to it. The commute is not a problem at all. It's less than 15 minutes, and there is almost never any traffic. Unless you absolutely despise driving, the commute from the Woodlands shouldn't be a factor at all in your decision on where to live.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
persia1921 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Does anyone else who has lived there/spent time there have any other comments? My biggest concern was the commute, but from what has been posted so far that does not seem to be and issue.

I don't live at the Woodlands but live very close to it. The commute is not a problem at all. It's less than 15 minutes, and there is almost never any traffic. Unless you absolutely despise driving, the commute from the Woodlands shouldn't be a factor at all in your decision on where to live.

This is accurate. The major issue is just being able to go out and drink without paying for a very expensive cab fare. There are a solid amount of law students out here though. (Off the top of my head I know about 10)

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I have asked this a few times in other threads but would like to get other perspectives so I know what to prepare for.

How do you guys feel about living say 30-40 min away from the law school? Would you say this is a terrible idea? Do any of you live this far from the school?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 pm

again, i know others that chose to do it and didn't move any closer for years 2-3-etc, so it's doable. if you're the kind of person that doesn't see any warning signs that scare you when making your own pro/con list, you're probably the kind of person that would be fine doing it because the cons are pretty damn obvious so you're not missing any. you're giving up some social flexibility and some free time that could've gone to studying, but it's not like there's a shortage of available study time in law school.

anyway, a glance in the direction of the top of my class would suggest that it certainly doesn't restrict academic upside.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm

sprezz wrote:again, i know others that chose to do it and didn't move any closer for years 2-3-etc, so it's doable. if you're the kind of person that doesn't see any warning signs that scare you when making your own pro/con list, you're probably the kind of person that would be fine doing it because the cons are pretty damn obvious so you're not missing any. you're giving up some social flexibility and some free time that could've gone to studying, but it's not like there's a shortage of available study time in law school.

anyway, a glance in the direction of the top of my class would suggest that it certainly doesn't restrict academic upside.
TITCR. For the current 1L class, most love in the Ivy/Arlington area and a few near the corner. The ones I know who live further away happen to also have families. Just wanted to add some perspective. I'm guessing that most 1Ls next year will split between the Pavilion, Arlington, and Ivy.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Gooner91 wrote:I have asked this a few times in other threads but would like to get other perspectives so I know what to prepare for.

How do you guys feel about living say 30-40 min away from the law school? Would you say this is a terrible idea? Do any of you live this far from the school?

Do you have a really good reason? I've no doubt that it would be doable, but I can't really imagine a good reason unless you have a spouse/partner working in Richmond and you want to split the commute.

Plenty of folk work at UVA and commute that sort of distance/time. Big downsides are when the school is open but the weather isn't good. I'd imagine you'd want to read ahead on weekends. And you'd be excluding yourself from many social activities - those are important for forming things like study groups that can help with exams, as well as making your time at UVA more fun.

tl;dr - it could be done, but I'd advise against it.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Gooner91 wrote:I have asked this a few times in other threads but would like to get other perspectives so I know what to prepare for.

I know several people that do it. Its not unlike commuting for work, annoying but not a indicator of performance or anything like that. It would be harder during 1L, but not an issue by 2L or 3L.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 am

albanach wrote:

Do you have a really good reason? I've no doubt that it would be doable, but I can't really imagine a good reason unless you have a spouse/partner working in Richmond and you want to split the commute.

Plenty of folk work at UVA and commute that sort of distance/time. Big downsides are when the school is open but the weather isn't good. I'd imagine you'd want to read ahead on weekends. And you'd be excluding yourself from many social activities - those are important for forming things like study groups that can help with exams, as well as making your time at UVA more fun.

tl;dr - it could be done, but I'd advise against it.

Honestly it is probably not what most people would call a good reason but it is important to me and my soon to be wife. So for us it is a good reason.

Missing out on the social events is probably what I am most worried about. But I guess I can't have it both ways so I will just need to decide what is most important. Thanks for the advice.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

Gooner91 wrote:Honestly it is probably not what most people would call a good reason but it is important to me and my soon to be wife. So for us it is a good reason.

So do you have somewhere specific you need to live to make this work? Unless you're trying to live near someone or someone's work, there's not much 30-40 minutes away from the school that you couldn't also find 10-15 minutes closer.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 am

there is a sonic in waynesboro... :wink:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”