UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Yardbird » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:46 pm

First Offense wrote:
lemons wrote:so... is it true that every thursday there is a keg or two in the main quad? :lol:
Yeah, but honestly 1L year you'll probably have class while it's out there, so you will probably only catch the tail end of it (at least in my experience).
Very true, all the 1L sections this year had some class in the fall when the keg came (usually between 3:30 and 4:00). This semester none of the 1L doctrinals are during that time but people's electives can interfere with the keg (luckily mine don't!). Also I wouldn't grab a beer and take it to class - pretty sure that's at the very least frowned upon and at the most it could be an honor code violation.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:01 pm

What kind of beer is it? From local breweries?

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
lemons wrote:so... is it true that every thursday there is a keg or two in the main quad? :lol:
Yeah, but honestly 1L year you'll probably have class while it's out there, so you will probably only catch the tail end of it (at least in my experience).
Very true, all the 1L sections this year had some class in the fall when the keg came (usually between 3:30 and 4:00). This semester none of the 1L doctrinals are during that time but people's electives can interfere with the keg (luckily mine don't!). Also I wouldn't grab a beer and take it to class - pretty sure that's at the very least frowned upon and at the most it could be an honor code violation.
please don't tell me you actually believe that

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
I was joking, chill

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
I doubt this is true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Gooner91 wrote:What kind of beer is it? From local breweries?
It varies - sometimes domestic stuff, sometimes local stuff.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
that still sounds kinda awesome haha this kinda confirms that uva is a super chill school

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:58 pm

lemons wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
that still sounds kinda awesome haha this kinda confirms that uva is a super chill school
TBF quite a few schools have something like this

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 pm

chem wrote: TBF quite a few schools have something like this
To be fair, the company is better at the Virginia Law keg.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scc1986

New

Post by scc1986 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:24 am

Any advice on International Law with Setear? I'm assuming supplements won't help since he creates his own materials. Focus on the readings or just mainly class notes? Thanks

GeneralFile(s)

New

Post by GeneralFile(s) » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:19 am

Can anyone comment on the necessity of submitting needaccess to receive merit scholarships? I spoke with a contact in the admissions office who said it was required for any scholarship consideration whatsoever, and am wondering if there is any anecdotal evidence otherwise, or if anyone knows this to plainly not be the case?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:37 am

GeneralFile(s) wrote:Can anyone comment on the necessity of submitting needaccess to receive merit scholarships? I spoke with a contact in the admissions office who said it was required for any scholarship consideration whatsoever, and am wondering if there is any anecdotal evidence otherwise, or if anyone knows this to plainly not be the case?
From what I gather, UVA is doing scholarships differently this year than in years past. I received my merit award the day of acceptance - now they're waiting.

Seriously, it's annoying paperwork but just do it. If they say you need it, you probably need it.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:29 pm

First Offense wrote:
GeneralFile(s) wrote:Can anyone comment on the necessity of submitting needaccess to receive merit scholarships? I spoke with a contact in the admissions office who said it was required for any scholarship consideration whatsoever, and am wondering if there is any anecdotal evidence otherwise, or if anyone knows this to plainly not be the case?
From what I gather, UVA is doing scholarships differently this year than in years past. I received my merit award the day of acceptance - now they're waiting.

Seriously, it's annoying paperwork but just do it. If they say you need it, you probably need it.
If you anticipate taking out loans (even a small amount), then definitely fill out the Need Access.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 am

For those who have taken PR with hylton... did anyone get an A, who didn't go to class very much?

Trying to figure out how unimportant attendance is...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am

LadyMary wrote:For those who have taken PR with hylton... did anyone get an A, who didn't go to class very much?

Is there a seating chart in here?

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 pm

LadyMary wrote:For those who have taken PR with hylton... did anyone get an A, who didn't go to class very much?

Yes, I skipped a lot of class. Its been a year so its hard for me to remember how much, but I know there was at least one period where I missed 4 classes in a row (so two weeks straight). You don't need to go to class, just read the model rules. He pretty much tells you that Day 1.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:17 pm

I went to class but didn't take notes or prepare for class. I got an A by outlining all of the rules and then also outlining all of the comments to the rules and doing some practice problems based on that. Making my outline probably took about 5-6 hours, then some memorization and practice.

I would highly suggest not going to class; I regret going to most of them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:23 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote: Yeah, but honestly 1L year you'll probably have class while it's out there, so you will probably only catch the tail end of it (at least in my experience).
I was joking, chill

scc1986

New

Post by scc1986 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:57 am

Any tips on International Law with Setear?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm

lemons wrote: that still sounds kinda awesome haha this kinda confirms that uva is a super chill school
I understand that, even with the school being closed, the keg's still happening today. Catering for the 80+ who have RSVP'd to this afternoon's snowball fight.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Can confirm the keg was there. Good turnout even in the snow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:Can confirm the keg was there. Good turnout even in the snow.
Yeah that was a lot of fun.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Any tips on how to perform better for the write on competition?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Br3v wrote:Any tips on how to perform better for the write on competition?
Accept the fact that you aren't going to write on to law review and thus shouldn't spend too much time on the essay. My journal only looked at the bluebooking part.

Also realize that nearly everybody gets on a journal whether initially or in part 2

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 pm

5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:Any tips on how to perform better for the write on competition?
Accept the fact that you aren't going to write on to law review and thus shouldn't spend too much time on the essay. My journal only looked at the bluebooking part.

Also realize that nearly everybody gets on a journal whether initially or in part 2
Seems like a positive attitude

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”