UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shibby

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by shibby » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:12 pm

If professor says you can use outline and casebook/notes etc on exam, can we assume we can use electronic outline? Or only in paper? Would you suggest having both?

cfr1225

New

Post by cfr1225 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm

shibby wrote:If professor says you can use outline and casebook/notes etc on exam, can we assume we can use electronic outline? Or only in paper? Would you suggest having both?
Ask the professor. In my experience, almost every professor who says that you can use an outline allows it be electronic. A few come to mind who I know require paper (Harmon, Jeffries, Martin), but my impression has always been that they are the exception and not the norm.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Some people swore by electronic outlines, but it seemed slower than having a double sided and tabbed outline in a small three-ring binder that opened up like a book (this is what I did). That way, you could see two full pages at any time and keep one hand on the keyboard at all times.

That being said, if allowed, I would always open up an electronic version to ctrl-f if necessary, but I only did that once or twice in 3 years.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

5ky wrote:double sided and tabbed outline in a small three-ring binder that opened up like a book
Yeah this is what I'm planning to do. Barring ctrl-fing a case name or something, switching between windows mid-exam doesn't sound good.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:31 pm

I control + f pretty constantly during exams (when allowed). I just use the snap feature so that half the screen is my test and half is my outline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks guys! This seems so fundamentally obvious a thing to mention, but pretty sure none of my professors have. Either way, agree that having it in physical form in front of you sounds much easier.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I doubt it makes a difference on way or the other. Seconds don't matter on these tests. Just know the material, and don't be an idiot. Many times it will be apparent who gets the A, and who gets a B on page one.

playpowerball

New

Post by playpowerball » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Last edited by playpowerball on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

playpowerball wrote:so does anyone actually fail lrw?
Solid first post.

1L, but no, not from what I've heard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

When is typically too late to ED @ UVa?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 pm

North wrote:
playpowerball wrote:so does anyone actually fail lrw?
Solid first post.

1L, but no, not from what I've heard.
It might be possible to fail, but I think you'd be on pretty clear notice from your Prof if that was going to be the case. I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

albanach wrote: I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.
This happened to more than a couple people in my section (that I know about, I'm sure there are more), myself included. I think (and I've read on TLS) that they're pretty liberal with spooking people who are obviously toeing the line by putting in minimal effort. I don't think they're actually going to fail anybody, though, provided you put a little more effort into your subsequent memos. I'll report back if I'm wrong and they torpedo our careers.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

North wrote:
albanach wrote: I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.
This happened to more than a couple people in my section (that I know about, I'm sure there are more), myself included. I think (and I've read on TLS) that they're pretty liberal with spooking people who are obviously toeing the line by putting in minimal effort. I don't think they're actually going to fail anybody, though, provided you put a little more effort into your subsequent memos. I'll report back if I'm wrong and they torpedo our careers.
I think your professor more than communicates with you when you're straddling that line. They don't WANT you to fail. Even when it feels like they do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:45 pm

It must be completely demoralizing to have to re-take LRW with next's years 1Ls. That alone was enough to motivation for me to try.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Rumor is that have a ~speshul LRW~, you don't retake it with 1Ls.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I spoke to a 3L last year who says her LRW class had a retaker in it, but they never really talked to him so didn't get the story.

Anyway, they'll let you know if you're walking the line. "Right now this isn't a passing memo" is your alert. That's accompanied by a fairly detailed explanation of what you need to do to change that. Second semester, I didn't hear anyone saying they even got that close, it was just easier and less time consuming.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Worrying about a class you're definitely going to get the best grade you can get (i.e. pass) right before finals is a losing proposition. Think of it as being in a battle during which the medic attends to a fallen comrade. Sure, you want him/her to be okay and there is a time to worry. However, if you don't focus on the remainder of the battle you may join your fallen comrade. There is a time to worry. Now is not it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 am

anon sequitur wrote:I spoke to a 3L last year who says her LRW class had a retaker in it, but they never really talked to him so didn't get the story.

Anyway, they'll let you know if you're walking the line. "Right now this isn't a passing memo" is your alert. That's accompanied by a fairly detailed explanation of what you need to do to change that. Second semester, I didn't hear anyone saying they even got that close, it was just easier and less time consuming.
My LRW section has a retaker in it FWIW. He wasn't cold-called so we don't know his name.

BigLawer

Bronze

Post by BigLawer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Has anyone ever heard of anyone taking the exam home and doing it there? Is this not allowed? I heard someone talking about doing that, but just assumed there was a rule against it.

Also, why in the world waste the time it takes to get home when thats time you could be typing?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:53 pm

BigLawer wrote:Has anyone ever heard of anyone taking the exam home and doing it there? Is this not allowed? I heard someone talking about doing that, but just assumed there was a rule against it.

Also, why in the world waste the time it takes to get home when thats time you could be typing?
Some J-term courses have take-home exams. I guess it's possible another course could also have a take-home exam, but I'm not aware of one. Take-home exams come in a big yellow envelope with the cover sheet taped to the front.

Other than those, the email everyone got from SRO says:

Approved Exam Locations

Exams must be taken in a lecture classroom on the first floor of Withers-Brown Hall or the second floor of Slaughter Hall. Students may not sit exams in any other location unless specifically instructed to do so.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Snow half day on Monday

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 pm

North wrote:Snow half day on Monday
You know, as a 3L who was planning to take an exam on Monday and whose schedule is not a bit messed up, I actually support this. The forecast is pretty awful, and exams for 1Ls are a bigger deal. It's certainly better to know now than at 7am on Monday.

That said, I do hope they manage in on Monday afternoon. Otherwise that Tuesday afternoon session will be a bit busy for my liking.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:20 pm

albanach wrote:That said, I do hope they manage in on Monday afternoon. Otherwise that Tuesday afternoon session will be a bit busy for my liking.
Yeah, 1L here and Monday at 1:00 is the perfect time for the exam, IMO (I wish all the exams were at 1:00...). But pushing it back to Tuesday would screw up my plans for the Thursday Crim exam.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Question about Professional Responsibility (with Balnave): worth $25 to get an online version of the rules for the exam? I assumed they would be available for free online like the rules of civpro and evidence, but apparently that isn't the case. I haven't done any prep for this class at all, except sitting through class a few times.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Question about Professional Responsibility (with Balnave): worth $25 to get an online version of the rules for the exam? I assumed they would be available for free online like the rules of civpro and evidence, but apparently that isn't the case. I haven't done any prep for this class at all, except sitting through class a few times.
These rules, or something else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”