UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:12 pm

If professor says you can use outline and casebook/notes etc on exam, can we assume we can use electronic outline? Or only in paper? Would you suggest having both?

cfr1225
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cfr1225 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm

shibby wrote:If professor says you can use outline and casebook/notes etc on exam, can we assume we can use electronic outline? Or only in paper? Would you suggest having both?


Ask the professor. In my experience, almost every professor who says that you can use an outline allows it be electronic. A few come to mind who I know require paper (Harmon, Jeffries, Martin), but my impression has always been that they are the exception and not the norm.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6383
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Some people swore by electronic outlines, but it seemed slower than having a double sided and tabbed outline in a small three-ring binder that opened up like a book (this is what I did). That way, you could see two full pages at any time and keep one hand on the keyboard at all times.

That being said, if allowed, I would always open up an electronic version to ctrl-f if necessary, but I only did that once or twice in 3 years.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

5ky wrote:double sided and tabbed outline in a small three-ring binder that opened up like a book

Yeah this is what I'm planning to do. Barring ctrl-fing a case name or something, switching between windows mid-exam doesn't sound good.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:31 pm

I control + f pretty constantly during exams (when allowed). I just use the snap feature so that half the screen is my test and half is my outline.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks guys! This seems so fundamentally obvious a thing to mention, but pretty sure none of my professors have. Either way, agree that having it in physical form in front of you sounds much easier.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I doubt it makes a difference on way or the other. Seconds don't matter on these tests. Just know the material, and don't be an idiot. Many times it will be apparent who gets the A, and who gets a B on page one.

playpowerball
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby playpowerball » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:33 pm

.
Last edited by playpowerball on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

playpowerball wrote:so does anyone actually fail lrw?

Solid first post.

1L, but no, not from what I've heard.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

When is typically too late to ED @ UVa?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 pm

North wrote:
playpowerball wrote:so does anyone actually fail lrw?

Solid first post.

1L, but no, not from what I've heard.


It might be possible to fail, but I think you'd be on pretty clear notice from your Prof if that was going to be the case. I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

albanach wrote: I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.

This happened to more than a couple people in my section (that I know about, I'm sure there are more), myself included. I think (and I've read on TLS) that they're pretty liberal with spooking people who are obviously toeing the line by putting in minimal effort. I don't think they're actually going to fail anybody, though, provided you put a little more effort into your subsequent memos. I'll report back if I'm wrong and they torpedo our careers.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby danitt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

North wrote:
albanach wrote: I don't doubt there have been a few students told they'll fail unless their memo sees more work.

This happened to more than a couple people in my section (that I know about, I'm sure there are more), myself included. I think (and I've read on TLS) that they're pretty liberal with spooking people who are obviously toeing the line by putting in minimal effort. I don't think they're actually going to fail anybody, though, provided you put a little more effort into your subsequent memos. I'll report back if I'm wrong and they torpedo our careers.

I think your professor more than communicates with you when you're straddling that line. They don't WANT you to fail. Even when it feels like they do.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:45 pm

It must be completely demoralizing to have to re-take LRW with next's years 1Ls. That alone was enough to motivation for me to try.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Rumor is that have a ~speshul LRW~, you don't retake it with 1Ls.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I spoke to a 3L last year who says her LRW class had a retaker in it, but they never really talked to him so didn't get the story.

Anyway, they'll let you know if you're walking the line. "Right now this isn't a passing memo" is your alert. That's accompanied by a fairly detailed explanation of what you need to do to change that. Second semester, I didn't hear anyone saying they even got that close, it was just easier and less time consuming.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Worrying about a class you're definitely going to get the best grade you can get (i.e. pass) right before finals is a losing proposition. Think of it as being in a battle during which the medic attends to a fallen comrade. Sure, you want him/her to be okay and there is a time to worry. However, if you don't focus on the remainder of the battle you may join your fallen comrade. There is a time to worry. Now is not it.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 am

anon sequitur wrote:I spoke to a 3L last year who says her LRW class had a retaker in it, but they never really talked to him so didn't get the story.

Anyway, they'll let you know if you're walking the line. "Right now this isn't a passing memo" is your alert. That's accompanied by a fairly detailed explanation of what you need to do to change that. Second semester, I didn't hear anyone saying they even got that close, it was just easier and less time consuming.
My LRW section has a retaker in it FWIW. He wasn't cold-called so we don't know his name.

BigLawer
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BigLawer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Has anyone ever heard of anyone taking the exam home and doing it there? Is this not allowed? I heard someone talking about doing that, but just assumed there was a rule against it.

Also, why in the world waste the time it takes to get home when thats time you could be typing?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:53 pm

BigLawer wrote:Has anyone ever heard of anyone taking the exam home and doing it there? Is this not allowed? I heard someone talking about doing that, but just assumed there was a rule against it.

Also, why in the world waste the time it takes to get home when thats time you could be typing?


Some J-term courses have take-home exams. I guess it's possible another course could also have a take-home exam, but I'm not aware of one. Take-home exams come in a big yellow envelope with the cover sheet taped to the front.

Other than those, the email everyone got from SRO says:

Approved Exam Locations

Exams must be taken in a lecture classroom on the first floor of Withers-Brown Hall or the second floor of Slaughter Hall. Students may not sit exams in any other location unless specifically instructed to do so.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Snow half day on Monday

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 pm

North wrote:Snow half day on Monday


You know, as a 3L who was planning to take an exam on Monday and whose schedule is not a bit messed up, I actually support this. The forecast is pretty awful, and exams for 1Ls are a bigger deal. It's certainly better to know now than at 7am on Monday.

That said, I do hope they manage in on Monday afternoon. Otherwise that Tuesday afternoon session will be a bit busy for my liking.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:20 pm

albanach wrote:That said, I do hope they manage in on Monday afternoon. Otherwise that Tuesday afternoon session will be a bit busy for my liking.

Yeah, 1L here and Monday at 1:00 is the perfect time for the exam, IMO (I wish all the exams were at 1:00...). But pushing it back to Tuesday would screw up my plans for the Thursday Crim exam.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Question about Professional Responsibility (with Balnave): worth $25 to get an online version of the rules for the exam? I assumed they would be available for free online like the rules of civpro and evidence, but apparently that isn't the case. I haven't done any prep for this class at all, except sitting through class a few times.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Question about Professional Responsibility (with Balnave): worth $25 to get an online version of the rules for the exam? I assumed they would be available for free online like the rules of civpro and evidence, but apparently that isn't the case. I haven't done any prep for this class at all, except sitting through class a few times.


These rules, or something else?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests