UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
swampman

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Last edited by swampman on Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digifly

Postby digifly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:22 pm

danitt wrote:Every time the Pavilion comes up people get so pressed. There are reasons to live there. They may not be your reasons, or reasons you understand but living there isn't without merit. I have a pet. I wanted my own bathroom. I don't have a car. I couldn't get all of those things anywhere else.

You're going to be here for 3 years. Live where you think you'll be comfortable.

I agree with this. I will add some insight so that this doesn't continue to be an anti-Pavilion echo chamber from those who do not live here and may not be aware of all of its pros (and cons). First of all, you can basically ignore the Yelp reviews for the Pavilion. Most seem to have been written within the first few weeks that people moved in, which was not quite a fair assessment of the structure. A minority of people had issues with 1) some messed appliances 2) some scratched floors or 3) the fire alarms that went off for two nights. These things were troublesome, but the staff addressed the issues pretty quickly. Plus, because of the errors, they aren't charging for things that they know were their fault when we moved in (I've confirmed this multiple times). Also, w/r/t the fire alarms - it's a new building. They went off two nights in a row and cost me about 1hr of sleep total. Judge for yourself how terrible that is.

Here is the breakdown of my costs living here:

$825 - Room (in a 2 bedroom)
$30 - Electricity
$15 - Gas

That's literally all I pay. Water is included. High speed internet is included. Cable is included (cable can be fuzzy on some stations, but most sports are in HD, and so was AMC so I didn't care). ALL appliances and furniture came with the apt., including a washer and dryer (which, thanks to free water, cost next to nothing to operate). My friends who live in Ivy routinely do laundry at my place and my bills have not fluctuated at all. All appliances are energy efficient (keeps costs way down).

The building's gym is like a small hotel gym. Not great. Not terrible. Just gets you by. But it saves me from walking to North Grounds, which isn't much better, so how can that not be a "pro?" In addition, there is free coffee (Keurig cups) and multiple flavors of creamer in the "lounge" downstairs. Again, not a huge plus, but I have probably saved around $40-50 on coffee this semester because of it (well, it and the library).

The quality of the rooms in the Pavilion is NOTICEABLY better than the quality of rooms elsewhere. It depends on how much you notice the small things, I guess, but things like lighting and bathrooms are great, especially when compared to somewhere like Ivy.

Finally, there are special signing deals that you get depending on the promotions they are running. I got my apartment with ZERO fees, ZERO deposit, and it came with a 42" TV. All-in-all, with the money I saved on furniture, appliances, and small monthly bills like internet, the difference is not as dramatic as people are claiming it is. And if you want the convenience of moving into your apartment on day one with everything pretty much ready to go, that might (contrary to popular belief) be a reason to choose it.

(Also, the fact that there isn't a "resident manager" means that I don't have to face my landlord if I want to drink and play music. Just food for thought.)

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:00 am

To be fair the above poster makes it look like those prices are really reasonable. $825 for a bedroom in a 2 bedroom is quite expensive for Charlottesville. You can google around to find more information about pricing of the other complexes, enough has been said about price here.

The poster also acts like the Cable situation is OK. You basically can't get the vast majority of channels in HD. Maybe having 15 HD channels is OK with some people, but for me it entirely cancels out the point of having free cable. This isn't 1995.

The gym there is fine, its the same as all the other gyms in many of the other apartment complexes in the area. I think it is definitely misleading to tell 0Ls that its not much worse than North Grounds though. North Grounds is a real gym (approx. 5 minute walk from all the apartment complexes on Arlington, Ivy, or the law school). As someone who frequents the gym - the pavilions gym is useless to me for anything but using a cardio machine. The situation is similar to the cable situation in that its nice to have it for free, but you get what you pay for.

There are benefits to living at the Pavilion: It's clearly the nicest complex in walking distance to the law school and it seem to allow all pets. But there are also pretty big trade-offs with price not being the only one of them. A benefit that's worth noting is that the pool is actually fairly nice compared to the cheaper complexes.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:35 am

Heat wrote:To be fair the above poster makes it look like those prices are really reasonable. $825 for a bedroom in a 2 bedroom is quite expensive for Charlottesville. You can google around to find more information about pricing of the other complexes, enough has been said about price here.

The poster also acts like the Cable situation is OK. You basically can't get the vast majority of channels in HD. Maybe having 15 HD channels is OK with some people, but for me it entirely cancels out the point of having free cable. This isn't 1995.

The gym there is fine, its the same as all the other gyms in many of the other apartment complexes in the area. I think it is definitely misleading to tell 0Ls that its not much worse than North Grounds though. North Grounds is a real gym (approx. 5 minute walk from all the apartment complexes on Arlington, Ivy, or the law school). As someone who frequents the gym - the pavilions gym is useless to me for anything but using a cardio machine. The situation is similar to the cable situation in that its nice to have it for free, but you get what you pay for.

There are benefits to living at the Pavilion: It's clearly the nicest complex in walking distance to the law school and it seem to allow all pets. But there are also pretty big trade-offs with price not being the only one of them. A benefit that's worth noting is that the pool is actually fairly nice compared to the cheaper complexes.

I also agree with what you've said. I think my point is that there's nothing really "wrong" with the Pavilion, other than the fact that it is pricier (which, of course, is a huge factor). It's just unfair to people scouting housing to make it seem like it's a bad living option. It's not. If you don't mind the price increase and are willing to pay for the upgrades, it's certainly a fair option, I think.

EDIT: And yeah, I don't watch much TV so I can't really provide too much feedback on how that's affected me. Jeopardy comes in on HD, though, so that's nice :P

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 pm

digifly wrote:
Heat wrote:To be fair the above poster makes it look like those prices are really reasonable. $825 for a bedroom in a 2 bedroom is quite expensive for Charlottesville. You can google around to find more information about pricing of the other complexes, enough has been said about price here.

I also agree with what you've said. I think my point is that there's nothing really "wrong" with the Pavilion, other than the fact that it is pricier (which, of course, is a huge factor). It's just unfair to people scouting housing to make it seem like it's a bad living option. It's not. If you don't mind the price increase and are willing to pay for the upgrades, it's certainly a fair option, I think.

EDIT: And yeah, I don't watch much TV so I can't really provide too much feedback on how that's affected me. Jeopardy comes in on HD, though, so that's nice :P

Definitely nothing "wrong" with Pavilion. But where one can pay what appears to be $870/month to live in a 2BR in Pavilion, I pay a hair under $500/month for a 2BR in the Jeffersonian (that's including a high speed internet/cable package from Comcast). That's a difference of about $4,500.00/year I guess. While there are undoubtedly great things about living in Pavilion, I'm just trying to point out to 0Ls that there are other great options that can save you a ton of money, and $115,000 vs. $100,000 in debt over 3 years is a big deal to many people.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Has Pavilion ceased its $60 per month for parking rule or is everyone here just neglecting to mention it? That boosts the 870/2br cost to 930/2br. It's pretty easy to find something at Ivy, Arlington, or the Jeff that, after utilities (for a 2br) you're only paying 530. So, at a $400 difference per year, x 12 months = 4,800, x3 years = almost 15k. That's hardly a trivial, "live where you're comfortable", type of difference.

danitt

Postby danitt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Has Pavilion ceased its $60 per month for parking rule or is everyone here just neglecting to mention it? That boosts the 870/2br cost to 930/2br. It's pretty easy to find something at Ivy, Arlington, or the Jeff that, after utilities (for a 2br) you're only paying 530. So, at a $400 difference per year, x 12 months = 4,800, x3 years = almost 15k. That's hardly a trivial, "live where you're comfortable", type of difference.

Someone should make a table. If you're fine with X live at Ivy. If you want Y, live at the Jeffersonian or Arlington Park. If you want Z, live at the Pavilion.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Has Pavilion ceased its $60 per month for parking rule or is everyone here just neglecting to mention it? That boosts the 870/2br cost to 930/2br. It's pretty easy to find something at Ivy, Arlington, or the Jeff that, after utilities (for a 2br) you're only paying 530. So, at a $400 difference per year, x 12 months = 4,800, x3 years = almost 15k. That's hardly a trivial, "live where you're comfortable", type of difference.

At Ivy you're going to pay well more than 530 all inclusive. Pavilion parking is optional, I think it's a rip off too.

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:47 pm

I didn't mention parking because I was assuming these people didn't have cars.

If you have a car and you are trying to live in luxury apartments, especially if you have pets, I highly recommend Jefferson Ridge. (Downside: You are far from the corner and cabs aren't cheap, so if you drink a lot and don't have a SO that wants to designate drive you, its not an amazing option.)

North

Postby North » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Heat wrote:I didn't mention parking because I was assuming these people didn't have cars.

If you have a car and you are trying to live in luxury apartments, especially if you have pets, I highly recommend Jefferson Ridge. (Downside: You are far from the corner and cabs aren't cheap, so if you drink a lot and don't have a SO that wants to designate drive you, its not an amazing option.)

(Seeks out luxury apartment)

(Concerned about $4 cab rides adding up)
Last edited by North on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 am

Heat wrote:
I didn't mention parking because I was assuming these people didn't have cars.

Explain yourself

Heat

Postby Heat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:24 am

The hypothetical people hoping to keep costs low while living in luxury.

And to North - a cab ride to Jefferson Ridge is closer to $25 than it is to $4.

North

Postby North » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 am

The bottom line is that, outside of a few special situations (pets, ability to drink ~$400 of free coffee every month, aversion to walking laundry down the street, etc.), it makes very, very little sense to pay double market rate when there's comparable housing right next door.

The idea that anyone needs to "live in luxury" while in law school is just absurd to me. Especially if you're riding loans or having someone else pay for it. You're a student with no income. Minimize your costs, FFS.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:48 am

I don't have a car here so I don't pay for a parking spot.

Just because it "makes no sense" to you doesn't mean people don't have reasons to do it. I've received multiple messages now from prospective students saying they had written the pavilion off because they figured no law students lived there. It's not fair to them to give a one-sided picture based only on your opinion. Some people have some disposable income / scholarships etc that they may want to use for housing. If that's the case, the added amenities and convenience could be worth it (and apparently is to a hefty portion of the 1L class).

Also, the "living in luxury" line is a bit tired. Depending on where you're coming from, this place is a pretty standard apartment complex.

North

Postby North » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 pm

With the amount of advertising Pavilion does and its replacing Ivy as what 2Ls and 3Ls will rightly describe to incoming classes as the 'center of the LS universe,' I think Pavilion will do just fine if the TLS echo chamber negs it. The students with reasons are going to live there anyway. The students without reasons need to hear that they can get almost everything Pavilion offers and still be at the center of the LS social scene, but at half the price.

ETA: It's weird arguing with you on TLS when I know you IRL. :lol:

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Can anyone who has taken the trial advocacy college comment on (a) how much work is involved and (b) whether they think it's worthwhile for someone who plans to litigate and who will have some practical court experience, a clinic and hallmarks of distinguished advocacy by the time they graduate?

Thanks.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:28 pm

North wrote:With the amount of advertising Pavilion does and its replacing Ivy as what 2Ls and 3Ls will rightly describe to incoming classes as the 'center of the LS universe,' I think Pavilion will do just fine if the TLS echo chamber negs it. The students with reasons are going to live there anyway. The students without reasons need to hear that they can get almost everything Pavilion offers and still be at the center of the LS social scene, but at half the price.

ETA: It's weird arguing with you on TLS when I know you IRL. :lol:

After careful consideration I have decided that maybe I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of neurotic 1Ls next year anyway. Everyone should move to Ivy! :P

And don't worry, there are absolutely zero hard feelings. Personally, I think the "debate" helped frame the pros/cons more clearly anyway. Maybe you'd like the building more if we did a poker tournament in the lounge after finals sometime :D

shibby

Postby shibby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:51 pm

How many 1L's typically get firm summer jobs? Mainly contingent on having connections? Sorry if this is available on the CS website, I just cannot bring myself to navigate those dreary depths at this point in time.

Edit: 25%. Second question still stands--connections a must?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:10 pm

shibby wrote:How many 1L's typically get firm summer jobs? Mainly contingent on having connections? Sorry if this is available on the CS website, I just cannot bring myself to navigate those dreary depths at this point in time.

Edit: 25%. Second question still stands--connections a must?

Very very few, and it's nearly all based on connections and geography. There really are just a few openings every year for 1Ls that are grade/credentials shoot-outs (as is more the case for 2L year), so it's pretty random. You see people going to firms in smaller/home markets especially, major markets don't hire 1Ls to nearly the same extent. Texas is particularly big on the practice, FWIW.

North

Postby North » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Should I be gunning hard to have everything done and out for 1L job stuff at midnight on December 1? Or would it be alright to wait until after finals to give it 100%? I was going to crank it out today, but perfecting a resume, a bunch of different cover letters for different employers/markets, and my TTT writing sample looks like it'd take a week of solid work to do right. Should I put it off until after finals?

shibby

Postby shibby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Last edited by shibby on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:15 pm

North wrote:Should I be gunning hard to have everything done and out for 1L job stuff at midnight on December 1? Or would it be alright to wait until after finals to give it 100%? I was going to crank it out today, but perfecting a resume, a bunch of different cover letters for different employers/markets, and my TTT writing sample looks like it'd take a week of solid work to do right. Should I put it off until after finals?

Lots of people put it off and get jobs, but you'll have better odds - especially if looking for competitive 1L gigs - if you fire on Dec 1. It's not a week's worth of work, but totally understandable if it's work you'd rather not do with everything else on your plate.

North

Postby North » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
North wrote:Should I be gunning hard to have everything done and out for 1L job stuff at midnight on December 1? Or would it be alright to wait until after finals to give it 100%? I was going to crank it out today, but perfecting a resume, a bunch of different cover letters for different employers/markets, and my TTT writing sample looks like it'd take a week of solid work to do right. Should I put it off until after finals?

Lots of people put it off and get jobs, but you'll have better odds - especially if looking for competitive 1L gigs - if you fire on Dec 1. It's not a week's worth of work, but totally understandable if it's work you'd rather not do with everything else on your plate.

If I were to prioritize, would it go:

1. Paid FedGov (Because I've heard these go crazy fast)
2. Unpaid FedGov (Same but less so, because no $)
3. All Biglaw SA's (Because I've heard they'll wait for grades to make decisions anyway)
4. Judicial internships (Because they'll get to it when they feel like it anyway, and because this is a guaranteed zero income 1L job)

Think any of this is out of order? (I'm a DC/ATL gunner if it matters.)

chem

Postby chem » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:51 am

North wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

If I were to prioritize, would it go:

1. Paid FedGov (Because I've heard these go crazy fast)
2. Unpaid FedGov (Same but less so, because no $)
3. All Biglaw SA's (Because I've heard they'll wait for grades to make decisions anyway)
4. Judicial internships (Because they'll get to it when they feel like it anyway, and because this is a guaranteed zero income 1L job)

Think any of this is out of order? (I'm a DC/ATL gunner if it matters.)

Move up biglaw SA's to 2 at least, maybe even 1. Even though they will wait for grades for a final decision, they will give interviews over christmas break, so you want to a) give them time to read your resume and b) let them know when you would be available for an interview.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Could anyone ITT who lives in the Jeffersonian take and post(or link) some pictures of what the place looks like from the inside? I tried to find pictures online but it seems like there's nothing out there, and their website is pretty spartan. TYIA

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”