UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Madmen321

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Madmen321 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Assuming one has a car, would it still be recommended to live within walking distance of the law school as opposed to a 5-10 min drive? Does anyone have any insights on how much this would matter? Do most students live within walking distance?

shibby

Postby shibby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Madmen321 wrote:Assuming one has a car, would it still be recommended to live within walking distance of the law school as opposed to a 5-10 min drive? Does anyone have any insights on how much this would matter? Do most students live within walking distance?

I would definitely advocate the 5-10 minute walk because it makes it easier to go back and forth between classes, and you're more likely to make the trek to the library. But plenty of people live farther away and drive. It would be absolutely fine. One consideration, though, is that assigned parking is expensive, and street parking is scarce.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Madmen321 wrote:Assuming one has a car, would it still be recommended to live within walking distance of the law school as opposed to a 5-10 min drive? Does anyone have any insights on how much this would matter? Do most students live within walking distance?

I have a 5 min drive from school. The parking by the park (which is about a one minute walk from the school) is very affordable, though the lots right next to the school (like a 30 second walk) are pricey. Most students live within walking distance, though, and it is a pretty big barrier socially. I can't really decide to hit up a pregame at the last minute and if I want to I have to take a cab or walk for about 20-25 minutes, just to turn around and head back my direction to go to bars. It actually makes me stay in the library more, because I figure that I am already here, might as well stay and work rather than go home just to come back for class later.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 am

So I think we find out what our classes (1L spring) are tomorrow. As in what we got from the lottery. Regardless, when we do find out (if not tomorrow some day next week I think) when does drop/add start? Like immediately? Or another deadline?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 am

i live a short drive from the LS (midtown) and highly recommend it. unless you're mostly social by inertia, you probably won't miss out on things you wouldn't have missed out on otherwise. there's tow-free parking sufficient for pregame deposit and next morning retrieval near both ivy and arlington boulevard if cabs aren't doable; getting a cab is cheap and easy; and i still haven't had "i'll buy your first round if you pick me up before the pregame" turned down.

if you want the option of stepping outside the law school bubble, living in not-arlington-or-ivy can be great. none of my roommates are law school people, so we're never all stressed at the same time for the same reason (barring, like, charlottesville hurricanes) which is refreshing. but this had nothing to do with my decision ex ante. i lived in north grounds before and it was my least favorite charlottesville "neighborhood" by an extremely wide margin. was never doing that again.

don't worry br3v... if you haven't gotten three emails detailing your add/drop period, it hasn't started yet. #uvalawday

shibby

Postby shibby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 am

So presumably, we are bound to the top choices we selected that are available, and the only way out is to attend the class before drop/add? Or can you do it before then? how the eff are we supposed to know what we'll like.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:46 pm

shibby wrote:So presumably, we are bound to the top choices we selected that are available, and the only way out is to attend the class before drop/add? Or can you do it before then? how the eff are we supposed to know what we'll like.

You can drop during the add/drop period.

You're supposed to figure out what you'll like from personal/career interests, asking other students, and reading the reviews of almost every professor on LawWeb. Then you can always chop and change during the first week of classes if you decide you really dislike a course or really want to be on another course.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm

albanach wrote:
You're supposed to figure out what you'll like from personal/career interests, asking other students, and reading the reviews of almost every professor on LawWeb. Then you can always chop and change during the first week of classes if you decide you really dislike a course or really want to be on another course.

Where are the professor reviews located on LW? All I'm finding are their little bio sections.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Has anyone got an email about what classes they got in the lottery? I'm worried it went to spam or something.

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Mack12 wrote:
albanach wrote:

Where are the professor reviews located on LW? All I'm finding are their little bio sections.

I think he was referring to the course evaluations. As far as I know there aren't standalone reviews of professors (outside of stuff like ratemyprof, of course).

Br3v wrote:Has anyone got an email about what classes they got in the lottery? I'm worried it went to spam or something.

Nah not yet.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

North wrote:I think he was referring to the course evaluations. As far as I know there aren't standalone reviews of professors (outside of stuff like ratemyprof, of course).

Wow wish I would have seen this before I ordered my classes :? . Oh well, thanks North!

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Br3v wrote:Has anyone got an email about what classes they got in the lottery? I'm worried it went to spam or something.

They're supposed to start coming out tomorrow I think?

shibby

Postby shibby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Law Reg said 11/11 I'm pretty sure

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:47 pm

shibby wrote:Law Reg said 11/11 I'm pretty sure

The SRO email said no later than tomorrow so I guess they have until then.

turquoiseturtle

Postby turquoiseturtle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 pm

I've heard that Cohen is the much harder PR class, which partly has to do with a very wide curve. But can anyone who has taken him explain what is so hard and/or different about his exams?

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:16 pm

turquoiseturtle wrote:I've heard that Cohen is the much harder PR class, which partly has to do with a very wide curve. But can anyone who has taken him explain what is so hard and/or different about his exams?

Imagine a two page long fact pattern about securities fraud, with about a dozen parties, all interspersed with important dates but not presented chronologically. Then remember many classmates have been gunning since day one in this class because A+s are on offer.

Just

Postby Just » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 pm

so I only got one 4 credit course for 1L spring, how effective can the add/drop be?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Just wrote:so I only got one 4 credit course for 1L spring, how effective can the add/drop be?
You're allowed only 7 credits, so its one 4 credit + a 3 credit (or 2+1 or 1+1+1). I've heard add/drop can be risky, though there seems to be a lot of good 3 credits still open

Just

Postby Just » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:54 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Just wrote:so I only got one 4 credit course for 1L spring, how effective can the add/drop be?
You're allowed only 7 credits, so its one 4 credit + a 3 credit (or 2+1 or 1+1+1). I've heard add/drop can be risky, though there seems to be a lot of good 3 credits still open

is there another round of lottery, or is it on first come first serve basis?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Just wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

There will be an add/drop period. Check your past emails for SRO dates

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Just wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

There will be an add/drop period. Check your past emails for SRO dates

The add/drop period is first come, first served. There's usually a bit of movement in all but the most popular courses during the first week of term.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm

desertlaw wrote:
shibby wrote:Did anyone brave a long distance relationship in LS? How did it go, especially if it was taking place during 1L?

Long distance naturally makes you speed things up. People either break up or get engaged or it just really strains things (which usually leads to break up). But it's really only the last 4-5 weeks that are super stressful.

shadowofjazz wrote:
shibby wrote:Did anyone brave a long distance relationship in LS? How did it go, especially if it was taking place during 1L?
I'll let you know in May of 2014November =P

Just thought I'd update since people were asking back in July. The above quote from desertlaw is very true.

North

Postby North » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Long distance naturally makes you speed things up. People either break up or get engaged or it just really strains things (which usually leads to break up). But it's really only the last 4-5 weeks that are super stressful.

shadowofjazz wrote:
I'll let you know in May of 2014November =P

Just thought I'd update since people were asking back in July. The above quote from desertlaw is very true.

+1.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah, November 1L year is when I either get engaged or had a fiery hilarious break up with my college girlfriend too :lol:

Legal_Padawan

Postby Legal_Padawan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Can anyone shed some light on what Harrison's exam will be like? He's completely hiding the ball right now and refuses to answer any questions. He refused to even say whether or not we could use an outline...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”