UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
californiabeauar

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by californiabeauar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:39 pm

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 pm

So we've got 1L career counseling appointments coming up. Any general advice on how to get the most out of our 30 minutes with a CSO person?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 pm

North wrote:So we've got 1L career counseling appointments coming up. Any general advice on how to get the most out of our 30 minutes with a CSO person?
Hope you don't get my counselor who, a few weeks before my first round of law school exams, advised me to consider something other than law school.

casparks

New

Post by casparks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Last edited by casparks on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:19 pm

North wrote:So we've got 1L career counseling appointments coming up. Any general advice on how to get the most out of our 30 minutes with a CSO person?
Any other advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm

North wrote:
Any other advice?
Is that new? I never had a meeting with CSO until summer after 1L, to get the list of firms around my GPA. I don't know what you would really discuss.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Is it pretty much guaranteed that you can secure a judicial summer internship if you want one? That's kind of how CS presented it. Is there a specific grade threshold you have to meet? Thanks.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm

5ky wrote:
North wrote:
Any other advice?
Is that new? I never had a meeting with CSO until summer after 1L, to get the list of firms around my GPA. I don't know what you would really discuss.
It seems to be centered around helping us get (eta: maybe closer to telling us what to go out and get for ourselves) 1L summer work that will put you in a better position to hustle for what we really want when OGI comes around. That's how I'm using it at least, didn't know it was a new thing.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 pm

5ky wrote: Is that new? I never had a meeting with CSO until summer after 1L, to get the list of firms around my GPA. I don't know what you would really discuss.
I don't think so. They certainly did it two years ago and everyone I know participated.

The email from career services said:
"Under guidelines established by the National Association for Law Placement (NALP), first-year law students may apply for summer legal jobs beginning on December 1, 2011. The guidelines also provide that students may begin receiving job search counseling after November 1, 2011. Accordingly, the Office of Career Services (OCS), the Mortimer Caplin Public Service Center (PSC), and the Office of Judicial Clerkships (OJC) look forward to offering you career counseling services next month. This memorandum describes the process for initial job counseling, and we ask that you read it carefully to avoid confusion about the process."
Are you sure you didn't participate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 pm

I went to a group meeting in the auditorium, but I never met with somebody from Career Services for 1L. Maybe I was supposed to. Oops.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

5ky wrote:I went to a group meeting in the auditorium, but I never met with somebody from Career Services for 1L. Maybe I was supposed to. Oops.
In the group meeting they say sign up for the individual meeting.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 pm

5ky wrote:I went to a group meeting in the auditorium, but I never met with somebody from Career Services for 1L. Maybe I was supposed to. Oops.
And therein lies the lesson as to how much 1Ls should prepare for this session with Career Services. Without grades, there is very little they can do, other than tell you to apply for everything and anything.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

shibby wrote:Is it pretty much guaranteed that you can secure a judicial summer internship if you want one? That's kind of how CS presented it. Is there a specific grade threshold you have to meet? Thanks.
Bump, think it got lost in the mix. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:46 pm

shibby wrote:
shibby wrote:Is it pretty much guaranteed that you can secure a judicial summer internship if you want one? That's kind of how CS presented it. Is there a specific grade threshold you have to meet? Thanks.
Bump, think it got lost in the mix. Thanks.
No. They're not hard to get, but "pretty much guaranteed" is a stretch and the timing of your application, pre-law school background, and geographic ties will matter a lot. It's just not a grade/credential shoot out and there are lot of positions every year so it's relatively easier to snag than a lot of other gigs.

I applied to ~25 judges the first day of NALP hiring as a 1L, got 2 interviews, 2 rejections and a lot of silence.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Did any of those interviews work out TSL?

Change gears

Am I misunderstanding what people mean when they say law school is different than college in that you don't cram the law in your head then spit it out on the exam? Because it kind of seems that's what you do with the added step of recognizing which issues the professor wants you to parrot back.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Yep, first interview turned into an offer.

Re: exams vs. college: There's 0 value in regurgitation, it's incredibly different from college. Closest college course I had to law school was a 700 person organic chemistry lecture taught by a sadist.

It's best to think of the exam as exclusively a skills test you will fail if you haven't learned the material, but (to parrot the conventional wisdom) knowing the material isn't enough to perform well.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:47 pm

How portable is a UVA JD compared to similar tier T14s? I have some ties to a few secondary markets (PNW, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston, Milwaukee) — how does UVA compare to NU or Georgetown in cities outside of DC/NYC?

What about Chicago with no ties?

What about California with no ties?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aldiddy

Bronze

Post by aldiddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Has anyone been in the patent & licensing clinic? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts of the experience? Thanks!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:What about Chicago with no ties?

Chicago probably wouldn't be easy. Definitely possible as a law review grade on though. Can't speak for Cali, but probably about the same.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Any general advice for 1Ls picking our 2 electives for the Spring? Specifically if we're thinking corporate and want to get a better feel for it?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:49 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:Any general advice for 1Ls picking our 2 electives for the Spring? Specifically if we're thinking corporate and want to get a better feel for it?
You won't get a better feel for what corporate/transactional is like in law school, generally, but Corporations or Accounting/Corp finance are good choices

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:48 pm

5ky wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Any general advice for 1Ls picking our 2 electives for the Spring? Specifically if we're thinking corporate and want to get a better feel for it?
You won't get a better feel for what corporate/transactional is like in law school, generally, but Corporations or Accounting/Corp finance are good choices
Corporations w/ J. Mahoney and PR w/ J. Hylton sound okay?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:How portable is a UVA JD compared to similar tier T14s? I have some ties to a few secondary markets (PNW, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston, Milwaukee) — how does UVA compare to NU or Georgetown in cities outside of DC/NYC?

What about Chicago with no ties?

If I wanted Chicago, I'd probably go to school in Chicago. I'm speculating, but I doubt there's much difference in the other markets (unless you score Cal and want west coast). Like other t14s, the brand will make you competitive but it's not going to result in auto-job.

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Can anyone comment on whether Nelson (for civ pro) or Coughlin (for crim law) want you to mention case names on the final?

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Hello, UVA website says that 1Ls "5-9 hours" electives with other "9" required courses(Con, Property, LRW) for the Spring. Does it mean that students SHOULD take at least "2" electives?

Is it okay to take only 'one' 3 credit course(a total of 12 credits)? What's the pros and cons of taking 12 credits in the Spring if possible? I frequently took 12/13 credits for the GPA and other stuffs in undergrad and felt comfortable with the minimum course load :oops: Thank you for your comments in advance :mrgreen:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... iculum.htm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”