UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
albanach

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 pm

5ky wrote:There's plenty of non-Jeffersonian and non-Pavilion places on Arlington that are great spots. Woodard Properties has some townhomes that are pretty good.

I agree. I think a lot of students end up in overly priced, poor quality or small apartments, thinking they need to be next door to the school. I can get to school in under ten minutes even in morning traffic, but have a nice townhouse in a nice neighborhood.

That said, the Jeffersonian prices are pretty decent. If you've no interest in a garden and don't mind being surrounded by other law students it's hard to criticize.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:Is the PILA Auction a can't miss event? Family is going to be in town that weekend and bought tickets for the basketball home opener on the same night. Was wondering if any 2Ls or 3Ls could advise as to whether I would absolutely regret skipping the PILA Auction or if it's not a big deal.

Thanks guys.

fam + basketball >>>>>>>>>>>> pila auction

sincerely,
joe "swoon" harris

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 pm

PILA is fun, but not so different from all the other major boozing opportunities over the years.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:PILA is fun, but not so different from all the other major boozing opportunities over the years.

What is it? I keep hearing about it but don't really know what it entails outside of being a (silent?) auction for like parking spaces and lunch with people.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 pm

It appears UVA might start the basketball season ranked in the top 25, so you should go to that.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Br3v wrote:
What is it? I keep hearing about it but don't really know what it entails outside of being a (silent?) auction for like parking spaces and lunch with people.

Yeah, that's it. It's at a nice hotel (Omni?) with a cash bar, tickets are like $40. It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be, but since it's PILA's big fund raising event of the year, they go nuts with publicity.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 pm

It's like highschool prom + a funny auction. Dancing and boozing and a chance to buy a date with your rollerbag wielding friends ;)

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:52 pm

This post is about housing for 0Ls

If you read the previous posts in this thread on housing (as I did last year), it appears that a LARGE majority of people live at Ivy. This is no longer the case because pavilion opened this year. Other reasons not to live at Ivy:

BAD internet
The walk can be pretty long depending on what part of ivy you're in (it's huge)
Everyone and everything is on Arlington (law school, barracks shopping center, grocery store)
My friends who live there hate living there
99% of pre-games are at Pavilion

Please do yourself a favor and try to find housing on or near arlington. It's the best way to go.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:This post is about housing for 0Ls

If you read the previous posts in this thread on housing (as I did last year), it appears that a LARGE majority of people live at Ivy. This is no longer the case because pavilion opened this year. Other reasons not to live at Ivy:

BAD internet
The walk can be pretty long depending on what part of ivy you're in (it's huge)
Everyone and everything is on Arlington (law school, barracks shopping center, grocery store)
My friends who live there hate living there
99% of pre-games are at Pavilion

Please do yourself a favor and try to find housing on or near arlington. It's the best way to go.

Agree with this. When I was applying it was either go for the max convenience (some place on Arlington) or go for the social life (Ivy). With the Pavilion now up and running, however, the social life has moved over to Arlington and I would highly recommend that 0Ls look into something on Arlington Blvd.

I'll do a personal plug as well for the Jeffersonian. Can't beat the location, don't believe you can beat the price, apartments are good enough, and I happen to like the landlord as well. Incredibly tough to get (you have to apply when the ball drops New Year's Eve) but absolutely worth it if you're on a budget.

If you happen to be on a full ride or something or just have tons of savings/help from your parents, the Pavilion is indeed very nice and has a lot of cool things (gym, computer lab, lounge, pool, etc.).

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:45 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Yeah, that's it. It's at a nice hotel (Omni?) with a cash bar, tickets are like $40. It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be, but since it's PILA's big fund raising event of the year, they go nuts with publicity.

PILA is fun, but Barristers is better. Slightly more expensive but with an open bar. Miss PILA and go to Barristers in the Spring.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

memaha wrote:
PILA is fun, but Barristers is better. Slightly more expensive but with an open bar. Miss PILA and go to Barristers in the Spring.

Yeah, Barrister's was great.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:12 pm

memaha wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
Br3v wrote:

credited

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Okay I'm not an idiot when it comes to MS Word, but I'm having an issue and I'm about to throw my mac against the wall. I'm so unbelievably frustrated. If you think you could help, could you message me?

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Okay I'm not an idiot when it comes to MS Word, but I'm having an issue and I'm about to throw my mac against the wall. I'm so unbelievably frustrated. If you think you could help, could you message me?

Go see IT at the school

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:11 pm

anyone know anything about Choi? He is teaching an M&A class and a legal issues in corp finance.

Anyone know anything about him? Organized? grade distribution? etc

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:35 pm

BigLawer wrote:anyone know anything about Choi? He is teaching an M&A class and a legal issues in corp finance.

I thought he was mediocre for corporate finance. Grade distribution was normal.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Go to PILA and buy $2000 off Barbri for like $500. Or a dinner for 6 at the Local for $75. Seriously, your classmates get super drunk and miss out on some serious deals. Gunning PILA is a great decision.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

desertlaw wrote:Go to PILA and buy $2000 off Barbri for like $500. Or a dinner for 6 at the Local for $75. Seriously, your classmates get super drunk and miss out on some serious deals. Gunning PILA is a great decision.

Standing by the PILA table just before the auction closed, not just drunk by TheSeaLocust is on a Mission drunk, clutching a pen, my checkbook, and the "get out of a cite check free" bid list daring anybody who walked past to try and outbid me.

Good times.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 am

BigLawer wrote:anyone know anything about Choi? He is teaching an M&A class and a legal issues in corp finance.

THANKS A LOT CARY

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:20 am

Has anyone had Kordana for Corporations? Any advice? I havent done a single reading, but I have been to (almost) all the classes. Wondering if there is anything I can do to not be screwed besides go back and do the readings.

rustyyoda

Postby rustyyoda » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:12 pm

Does anyone have a halfway decent PR outline?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

rustyyoda wrote:Does anyone have a halfway decent PR outline?

Depends who you have. For some/most, all you need to do is copy/paste all the rules into a document and then if you're feeling ambitious, outline the comments to the rules as well. Takes like 5 hours total

Madmen321

Postby Madmen321 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Can anyone comment on UVA's placement in Boston, other than what is listed on their website?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”