UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
slider wrote:1Ls: Halfway through your second semester, which semester (1st or 2nd) do you feel was harder in terms of workload and/or general difficulty of the material?

First semester was a lot harder in terms of workload. LRW took up a lot more time, and not knowing what you're doing adds a lot of time to the reading.

I think it really depends on your class load . . . while conceptually most classes are easier, I have more reading this semester and, because of that, I spend about the same amount of time this semester as last semester on reading . . .

That said, I don't recommend taking as heavy of a load as I'm taking this semester

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:41 pm

1Ls,

I just got back from the ASW and I had a question I was a little embarrassed to ask for fear of sounding lame (I promise I'm not).

I understand that UVA is a fun law school. I want to a "party school" undergrad and don't necessarily regret it, but at times I often felt ostracized when I had work to do and it was time for everyone else to have "fun". I'm by no means a workaholic, I love to drink and I love to have a good time, but I often felt pressure to be going out four nights a week which got a little old after a while. I got the feeling after visiting UVA today that the student body, despite UVA's incredible reputation, might be a little too similar to where I went to undergrad.

I guess my question is: How serious are students at UVA law and is there a stigma attached to people who might turn down a party or two?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. In case any of my future classmates are reading this, I promise I'm not as lame as I sound.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm

wackjickham wrote:1Ls,

I just got back from the ASW and I had a question I was a little embarrassed to ask for fear of sounding lame (I promise I'm not).

I understand that UVA is a fun law school. I want to a "party school" undergrad and don't necessarily regret it, but at times I often felt ostracized when I had work to do and it was time for everyone else to have "fun". I'm by no means a workaholic, I love to drink and I love to have a good time, but I often felt pressure to be going out four nights a week which got a little old after a while. I got the feeling after visiting UVA today that the student body, despite UVA's incredible reputation, might be a little too similar to where I went to undergrad.

I guess my question is: How serious are students at UVA law and is there a stigma attached to people who might turn down a party or two?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. In case any of my future classmates are reading this, I promise I'm not as lame as I sound.

I had the same concerns last year after visiting. However, I can assure you that it's okay to decide your own level of involvement in social stuff. Folks don't care. There's no stigma attached to not partying, at least not that I've noticed. I don't go out nearly as much as a lot of my classmates do but I still enjoy being here and get along really well with everyone.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 pm

wackjickham wrote:1Ls,

Thanks in advance!

If I had to guess, I'd say most people go out about 3x a week early in the semester (August/September), about 1x or 2x per week in October, and rarely if not at all in November/December, with the exception of the PILA Auction which is basically the last big blast of the semester.

This semester I haven't really gone out at all. I still have friends. I don't feel ostracized at all.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 am

wackjickham wrote:I guess my question is: How serious are students at UVA law and is there a stigma attached to people who might turn down a party or two?

You can attend as many or as few parties as you want to. Some people literally don't go out at all and they get along just fine with everyone else. You came to visit the day our appellate briefs were due, which partially explains why everyone was eager to go out.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 am

I visited these past couple days and had similar concerns. We went to Pong for PILA, which basically felt like a frat party. I've been out of school a few years and have sort of moved on from that scene, and I am afraid that going to UVA might feel too much like going back to undergrad, except more locked into that scene because there's not as much else around. I am not opposed to drinking - I go out at least one weekend night right now and drink, but I prefer small house parties where we play drunken Taboo or Apples to Apples, or going out to bars with a group of 5-10 friends. Is there a lot of that at UVA, or is it mostly big parties where everyone hangs out with everyone?

I like that everyone seemed so friendly and I loved how collegial the atmosphere was, but I'm a little awkward in big social situations and I can get a little hyper and high-strung. So I'm worried I might not be "chill" enough for UVA. Can any current students speak to that?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 am

democrattotheend wrote:I visited these past couple days and had similar concerns. We went to Pong for PILA, which basically felt like a frat party. I've been out of school a few years and have sort of moved on from that scene, and I am afraid that going to UVA might feel too much like going back to undergrad, except more locked into that scene because there's not as much else around. I am not opposed to drinking - I go out at least one weekend night right now and drink, but I prefer small house parties where we play drunken Taboo or Apples to Apples, or going out to bars with a group of 5-10 friends. Is there a lot of that at UVA, or is it mostly big parties where everyone hangs out with everyone?

I can attest that this happens here. Law school will probably not greatly change your social habits. You'll find people who share your view, and it will lead to Apples to Apples.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:40 am

FWIW, I didn't go to a single Feb Club party, and no one cared. The nice thing about UVa is that these events are open to people, but there is no expectation to be there. I'm definitely on the end of spectrum of not going out much at all, and I get along with everyone. I think the only disadvantage you have of not going out is that you miss out on easy opportunities to get to know people who aren't in your section/classes.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:44 am

So, essentially, what you all are saying is that if the green card says "friendly" "sociable" or "intelligent" I could play a red card that said "UVA law students"

In all seriousness though, thanks guys. I love to have a good time but I'm excited to be able to go to a school where the people are into both drinking and stimulating conversation (oh, and softball).

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:30 pm

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:38 pm

napolnic wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I visited these past couple days and had similar concerns. We went to Pong for PILA, which basically felt like a frat party. I've been out of school a few years and have sort of moved on from that scene, and I am afraid that going to UVA might feel too much like going back to undergrad, except more locked into that scene because there's not as much else around. I am not opposed to drinking - I go out at least one weekend night right now and drink, but I prefer small house parties where we play drunken Taboo or Apples to Apples, or going out to bars with a group of 5-10 friends. Is there a lot of that at UVA, or is it mostly big parties where everyone hangs out with everyone?

I can attest that this happens here. Law school will probably not greatly change your social habits. You'll find people who share your view, and it will lead to Apples to Apples.

LOL, I hope my post didn't make me sound like a total loser. But glad to know that there are more small group events.

Like I said, I really liked the camaraderie among the students. Just not sure frat parties are quite my scene.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I like that everyone seemed so friendly and I loved how collegial the atmosphere was, but I'm a little awkward in big social situations and I can get a little hyper and high-strung. So I'm worried I might not be "chill" enough for UVA. Can any current students speak to that?

This. But it only seemed a little odd to me because that was actually the first large kind of party where people drinked that I've been to. It was fun, certainly, but I'm a square by nature and was probably the only person there who wasn't old enough to drink anyway (and would rather not do so once I do). I think it was the collegial atmosphere and the laid back nature that pervaded the fun that gave me a good impression of the people and the campus life that made it okay.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:05 am

If it makes you feel better, I have this semester (a) attended Pong for PILA, (b) played Apple to Apples at a small house party, and (c) gone to bars with a group of 5-10 friends. I've also not gone out at all for several weeks in a row because I didn't particularly feel up to it, and people still seem willing to hang out with me. There's something to your observation, though, because I think people here do make a conscious effort to avoid projecting themselves as "hyper" or "high strung," which I, personally, view as a positive thing, but may require a bit of adjustment for some.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 pm

To largely echo everything that's been said, if you don't like softball and don't like undergrad style parties, it doesn't mean you won't like UVA Law. If you do like those things, it's hard to find a better school than UVA. While a larger percentage of the student body somewhat resembles a giant fraternity, there are still plenty of students that are going to be looking for a lower key lifestyle. I can say that I personally have been on both sides of the spectrum from Feb Club parties to small gatherings and they're easy to find. As was said earlier, the best part of going out and being involved in softball is that it makes it easier to meet people in other sections that you wouldn't normally meet during the school day.

The Admitted Students weekend might be a bad sample because I'm guessing most of the hosts pushed the beer, softball, and partying culture as a way of selling the school since it's what we do best and you had the official ASW events to tell you about the academic side of the school.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 am

After visiting, I get the feeling that there are a lot of conservative students, whereas I am pretty liberal. I don't think I'd be bothered by the fact that there is more political diversity at UVA versus other schools, but does the conservative viewpoint seem to dominate among students?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am

Amelie wrote:After visiting, I get the feeling that there are a lot of conservative students, whereas I am pretty liberal. I don't think I'd be bothered by the fact that there is more political diversity at UVA versus other schools, but does the conservative viewpoint seem to dominate among students?

You found a law school where that isn't true?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Amelie wrote:After visiting, I get the feeling that there are a lot of conservative students, whereas I am pretty liberal. I don't think I'd be bothered by the fact that there is more political diversity at UVA versus other schools, but does the conservative viewpoint seem to dominate among students?

Is this a joke? Other than UVA and Chicago, most law schools seem to have a more liberal feel (at least those I've visited). All law schools will obviously have some conservative students, but UVA seemed to have more of a "southern conservative" feel if that makes sense.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am

Amelie wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Is this a joke? Other than UVA and Chicago, most law schools seem to have a more liberal feel (at least those I've visited). All law schools will obviously have some conservative students, but UVA seemed to have more of a "southern conservative" feel if that makes sense.

I haven't visited any place except for Berkeley that I would consider having a liberal feel.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Amelie wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I haven't visited any place except for Berkeley that I would consider having a liberal feel.

The main other school I'm considering is Michigan - which I wouldn't necessarily say is liberal, but it definitely doesn't strike me as conservative. Whereas Virginia seemed decidedly conservative to me. Would you say that is true?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:18 pm

There might be more conservatives here than other schools but I would hardly call UVA conservative.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

gladiator wrote:There might be more conservatives here than other schools but I would hardly call UVA conservative.

This is what I was hoping - I guess I just met a few very conservative people while there and got a bit freaked out.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 am

confuzzled888

Postby confuzzled888 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:02 pm

is it possible to get better deals on apartments if you wait until the last min. in August?? i am new to cville next year, and I was just wondering!!!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:05 pm

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:42 am

Amelie: I am in no way making fun of you, but it is kind of intriguing to hear a liberal talk about feeling awkward in an academic environment because of apparent conservative dominance. That's the way we conservatives feel at, well, just about every university in the country. I hope it doesn't deter you from attending.

Kohinoor: It is possible I may be speaking out of ignorance, given that I have not yet started law school. That said, law school is an environment dominated by members of one of the most liberal groups in America (academics), and it produces one of the Democratic Party's most stalwart constituencies (trial lawyers). I find it hard to believe that such places tend to be bastions of conservatism. Could it be that your views are just really far to the left on the American spectrum? (Again, I don't mean offense. I don't believe that the quality of an idea is necessarily correlated with its popularity. Just suggesting an explanation for your perception.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”