UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:54 am

Apple Tree wrote:Is it too much work to take Crim Pro + Sec Reg + Sec'd Trans at the same time? My other classes are supposed to be easy/fluffy.

You'll be alright

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 am

Apple Tree wrote:Is it too much work to take Crim Pro + Sec Reg + Sec'd Trans at the same time? My other classes are supposed to be easy/fluffy.

Crim pro survey? That class had a lot of material to learn. I took it with rachel Harmon, I know its bowers this semester so I don't know if that makes a difference

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 am

If anyone has the book for negotiation institute, I'll pay you $30 for it.

I'm also selling the Bankruptcy book for Walt's class, with no marks whatsoever (I'm asking $160 because it's the equivalent of buying a brand new book).

BammBamm

Postby BammBamm » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:06 pm

On to the important questions... when does softball start?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:34 pm

At the end of the first week of 1L, where should we "be"?

I kind of just have a collection of long winded notes talking about cases and have been trying to look forward as to how that info might play into big picture stuff. As in: oh this contract was bad because there was no meeting of the minds > cotracts need a meeting of the minds.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Br3v wrote:At the end of the first week of 1L, where should we "be"?

I kind of just have a collection of long winded notes talking about cases and have been trying to look forward as to how that info might play into big picture stuff. As in: oh this contract was bad because there was no meeting of the minds > cotracts need a meeting of the minds.

Just have thorough notes at this point. It will all come together in the end.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Just have thorough notes at this point. It will all come together in the end.

Ok. I keep trying to tell myself to take less notes however because things like LEEWS or TLS guides seem to always say its impossible to read that many notes.

But maybe I should just quit worrying about that and take down as much as I want.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Br3v wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

But maybe I should just quit worrying about that and take down as much as I want.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Confused, anxious, hopelessly out of your element, drinking heavily, and doing your best not to be annoying and gunnery even though it's fine for everybody to be hoping to do well and trying hard.

FWIW, a lot of classes cover pointless ground or cover ground REALLY slowly at the beginning of 1L. Stuff you covered two weeks before the exam might make up 50% of the questions, stuff you spent a month on up front might not grace it at all.

(civ) Pro tip: Pennoyer v. Neff is just hazing and not even good law anymore.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Confused, anxious, hopelessly out of your element, drinking heavily, and doing your best not to be annoying and gunnery even though it's fine for everybody to be hoping to do well and trying hard.

FWIW, a lot of classes cover pointless ground or cover ground REALLY slowly at the beginning of 1L. Stuff you covered two weeks before the exam might make up 50% of the questions, stuff you spent a month on up front might not grace it at all.

I think I'm starting to figure out the shit that's worthless and the shit that matters. All of Crim Law so far has been theoretical "why do we punish" shit. Think I might have learned some important stuff in Torts though about agency and vicarious liability, though.

chem

Postby chem » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I think I'm starting to figure out the shit that's worthless and the shit that matters. All of Crim Law so far has been theoretical "why do we punish" shit. Think I might have learned some important stuff in Torts though about agency and vicarious liability, though.

Careful. Why do we punish rationales featured strongly in my crim law exam.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 pm

chem wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Careful. Why do we punish rationales featured strongly in my crim law exam.

... Noted.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 am

thesealocust wrote:

Dude thanks for this. I had been hoping literally all of this was the case.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:34 am

NoodleyOne wrote:... Noted.

I think a lot of the 1L crim courses are quite theory heavy.

The good stuff that you think you'll get in crim law doesn't come until the upper classes in Criminal Investigation/Criminal Adjudication or Crim Pro Survey.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm

albanach wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:... Noted.

I think a lot of the 1L crim courses are quite theory heavy.

The good stuff that you think you'll get in crim law doesn't come until the upper classes in Criminal Investigation/Criminal Adjudication or Crim Pro Survey.

Well I'm glad I learned that now. Crim was my first class, so my notes were naturally a little too in depth, but since then I've had a few and my notes have been trimmed a lot, so I'm glad I didn't go in there Monday and ignore all the theory stuff.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Any advice on getting involved somewhat in extracurriculars/ doing the Pro Bono challenge for us 1Ls? Wondering if upperclassmen would recommend getting involved on a limited basis or just focusing exclusively on class.

Any groups specifically recommended? Thoughts on doing the Pro Bono challenge?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm

yes, get involved. a lot of 1L study time is spent aimlessly spinning your wheels anyway (have yall noticed that yet?), and depending on what kind of pro bono work you seek out you can get some early albeit rudimentary exposure to law outside of the typical 1L stuff. if you start before winter break you'll have something to talk about in 1L summer associate interviews, which occur as early as christmas break, which is well before you'll get any of your grades. like, SO EARLY COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WILL GET ANY OF YOUR GRADES

anyway i wouldn't care about the "pro bono challenge" personally, that title is pretty vacuous especially the way the school has decided to run it. but you might as well log any pro bono stuff you do in the system because it takes two minutes. so for example i wouldn't choose a pro bono program over something that interests you way more but isn't pro bono--but i might do both.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Less helping people, more beer and softball.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:Less helping people, more beer and softball.

Lol. Beautiful way of putting it.

North

Postby North » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 am

BammBamm wrote:On to the important questions... when does softball start?

hooma

Postby hooma » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am

North wrote:

I don't think they've announced that yet, but dandelion is 9/6 and the 1L tournament is 9/28. I think we played one game before the tournament last year, but I could be wrong.

See http://ngsl.com/ for more info.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 pm

sprezz wrote:yes, get involved. a lot of 1L study time is spent aimlessly spinning your wheels anyway (have yall noticed that yet?), and depending on what kind of pro bono work you seek out you can get some early albeit rudimentary exposure to law outside of the typical 1L stuff. if you start before winter break you'll have something to talk about in 1L summer associate interviews, which occur as early as christmas break, which is well before you'll get any of your grades. like, SO EARLY COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WILL GET ANY OF YOUR GRADES

anyway i wouldn't care about the "pro bono challenge" personally, that title is pretty vacuous especially the way the school has decided to run it. but you might as well log any pro bono stuff you do in the system because it takes two minutes. so for example i wouldn't choose a pro bono program over something that interests you way more but isn't pro bono--but i might do both.

And, for those who don't secure a 1L summer associate position, Pro Bono hours will help massively toward your chance of getting a PILA grant that can help fund you through the summer. Not something to rely upon, but fall semester hours give you a big leg-up over anyone who only has 40-80 hours from the winter break.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:08 pm

What's pro bono?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Anyone want to guess whether or not there'll be enough movement in Balnave's PR so that the 7th person on the waitlist will get in? There's 108 enrolled, but I imagine few if any 3L's or LM's are going to drop.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm

hooma wrote:
North wrote:

I don't think they've announced that yet, but dandelion is 9/6 and the 1L tournament is 9/28. I think we played one game before the tournament last year, but I could be wrong.

See http://ngsl.com/ for more info.

I'm going to miss dandelion! This is very disappointing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”