UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

Is there a best place to rent a locker for 1Ls, or are classes spread out by section and thus we won't know until we get assigned to our sections? Choices are Hunton & Williams Hall, Withers-Brown Hall, or Slaughter Hall (1st or 2nd Floor).

Thanks guys.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:Is there a best place to rent a locker for 1Ls, or are classes spread out by section and thus we won't know until we get assigned to our sections? Choices are Hunton & Williams Hall, Withers-Brown Hall, or Slaughter Hall (1st or 2nd Floor).

Thanks guys.


If you live on Arlington, get Withers Brown, just so it's on your way in and out of campus. If you live in Ivy, anything but Withers Brown. Even though you'll probably have several classes upstairs, I think Slaughter 2nd floor is a terrible place for a locker, since it's inconvenient for everything except going to class in Slaughter.

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am

anon sequitur wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Is there a best place to rent a locker for 1Ls, or are classes spread out by section and thus we won't know until we get assigned to our sections? Choices are Hunton & Williams Hall, Withers-Brown Hall, or Slaughter Hall (1st or 2nd Floor).

Thanks guys.


If you live on Arlington, get Withers Brown, just so it's on your way in and out of campus. If you live in Ivy, anything but Withers Brown. Even though you'll probably have several classes upstairs, I think Slaughter 2nd floor is a terrible place for a locker, since it's inconvenient for everything except going to class in Slaughter.


Signing up now, thanks!

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Is there a best place to rent a locker for 1Ls, or are classes spread out by section and thus we won't know until we get assigned to our sections? Choices are Hunton & Williams Hall, Withers-Brown Hall, or Slaughter Hall (1st or 2nd Floor).

Thanks guys.


If you live on Arlington, get Withers Brown, just so it's on your way in and out of campus. If you live in Ivy, anything but Withers Brown. Even though you'll probably have several classes upstairs, I think Slaughter 2nd floor is a terrible place for a locker, since it's inconvenient for everything except going to class in Slaughter.


Signing up now, thanks!


Where do we sign up?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Br3v wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Is there a best place to rent a locker for 1Ls, or are classes spread out by section and thus we won't know until we get assigned to our sections? Choices are Hunton & Williams Hall, Withers-Brown Hall, or Slaughter Hall (1st or 2nd Floor).

Thanks guys.


If you live on Arlington, get Withers Brown, just so it's on your way in and out of campus. If you live in Ivy, anything but Withers Brown. Even though you'll probably have several classes upstairs, I think Slaughter 2nd floor is a terrible place for a locker, since it's inconvenient for everything except going to class in Slaughter.


Signing up now, thanks!


Where do we sign up?

lawweb. Sadly, I'm broke right now... paypal needs to clear!

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm

There is enough lockers for everyone right? It's just location may be "bad"?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah, they won't run out, though I believe that slaughter 1st floor goes quick, since that's closest to Ivy and many have a prestigious view of the courtyard. For what is worth, I waited until orientation and got my first choice spot.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Cool, thanks. I mean the school isn't that big anyways, add that to the fact that I would have no idea where a good locker spot would be leaves me feeling ok about it.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Just » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:16 am

How to sign up for lockers on lawweb?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby danitt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 am

Just wrote:How to sign up for lockers on lawweb?

It's under the Student Life tab. Just look for Locker Rentals/Renewals.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Just » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 am

What does 1234 under each building refer to?

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 am

Just wrote:What does 1234 under each building refer to?


Are you referring to the locker rental process? You're just supposed to rank your preferences 1-4.

User avatar
BammBamm
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:20 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BammBamm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm

So it appears there is an interim Executive Director of Student Health now. I've gotta believe it's because of our personal info being leaked. The email we got after that happened was from James C. Turner, Exec. Dir. of Student Health, and now online it says the interim Ex.Dir. is Chris Holstege. And they just hired a new Executive VP for Student Health from UPenn. It was a huge slip-up, but it is unfortunate he had to lose his job.

A Parliment of Owls
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi all, I'm deferring a year but have a lease at Pavilion. I've spoken to them and they are completely unwilling to negotiate any fee in return for breaking the lease (offered 3 months rent). The lease has no exit clause, but is there any right to mitigate in VA? Does it matter that I won't be taking possession?

And of course, if anyone wants a really good deal on a double in Pavilion send me a pm :)

Looking forward to seeing you all next year,

Owl

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

I doubt very many people who read this thread are admitted to the Virginia bar. You should speak to a local attorney.

A Parliment of Owls
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I doubt very many people who read this thread are admitted to the Virginia bar. You should speak to a local attorney.


True, but I imagine anyone who has dealt with leasing issues while at UVA Law knows the answer to this and/or could share an informative/helpful anecdote.

That said, your point is well taken, I'll give some local attorneys a call and see about a free consultation.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:12 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:That said, your point is well taken, I'll give some local attorneys a call and see about a free consultation.


Seeking legal advice is exactly what you should do. You may wish to ask your lawyer about this section from the Code of Virginia: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... +55-248.35 and find out whether or not it is applicable to your particular circumstances.

Even if someone has direct experience, they are not going to speculate as to whether the circumstances are analogous. To do so would risk engaging in the unauthorized practice of law which could leave someone subject to criminal sanctions and - importantly - a very hard time when it comes to actually joining The Bar.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'm not a lawyer and nothing in this post is intended as legal advice.

A Parliment of Owls
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 pm

albanach wrote:
A Parliment of Owls wrote:That said, your point is well taken, I'll give some local attorneys a call and see about a free consultation.


Seeking legal advice is exactly what you should do. You may wish to ask your lawyer about this section from the Code of Virginia: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... +55-248.35 and find out whether or not it is applicable to your particular circumstances.

Even if someone has direct experience, they are not going to speculate as to whether the circumstances are analogous. To do so would risk engaging in the unauthorized practice of law which could leave someone subject to criminal sanctions and - importantly - a very hard time when it comes to actually joining The Bar.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'm not a lawyer and nothing in this post is intended as legal advice.



Fair enough, thanks.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby californiauser » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:08 pm

To all current UVA 0Ls, when'd you get your fee waivers (if you did) last cycle?

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Trout et al » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 pm

californiauser wrote:To all current UVA 0Ls, when'd you get your fee waivers (if you did) last cycle?


I asked for one (and received) in early August.

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WahooLaw24 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:57 am

Any advice re: book buying? I'm sure it varies by professor, but just wondering in terms of picking up every book on the list/waiting to see if you'll actually need some books. Some sections had like 13 books/supplements listed, others only 7, and I'm hoping not to break the bank on books.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:Any advice re: book buying? I'm sure it varies by professor, but just wondering in terms of picking up every book on the list/waiting to see if you'll actually need some books. Some sections had like 13 books/supplements listed, others only 7, and I'm hoping not to break the bank on books.


You need to buy all the case books. Check if it's a new case book or if it's over a year old. If it's older and the professor also taught the course last year, then the book is probably available at the PILA book sale if you get there early. Alternatively, you can buy used on Amazon. If it's new(ish) you can rent from Amazon or buy new from Amazon and sell it in a year.

Some people get buy with an old edition of the case book. personally I'd think that's more trouble than its worth, unless you're sharing a room with someone that has the same class and a current edition that you can borrow to quickly scan for changes.

For rule books you'll need rule books like the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure for CivPro and the UCC supplement for Contracts. You can probably get away with last year's edition though - also likely available from the PILA sale or very cheaply on Amazon.

For other books, you'd probably need to list them and the professor for folk to advise.

ncc5
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby ncc5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Section Assignments are up and a picture is posted on the facebook group, though a lot of the pictures are blurry. You can also use Lou's list to figure out which sections correspond to each Prof.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm in Section G:

Ks - Kordana, Crimlaw - Low, Torts - G.E. White, CivPro - Nelson, LRW - Moran

Any specific supplements I should get? Also how are the profs in general and do they all allow laptops?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:10 pm

What can you guys tell me about this section?

Section CivPro K's CrimLaw Torts ConLaw Property
D Mitchell Hynes Forde-Mazrui Kendrick Schauer Mahoney




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests