UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
InferenceOptional

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Legitimate question: I'm interested in learning how to do my own taxes, and help family with theirs. What class would be useful?

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

InferenceOptional wrote:Legitimate question: I'm interested in learning how to do my own taxes, and help family with theirs. What class would be useful?

Fed income tax. But the most helpful thing would be to join VITA

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 pm

chem wrote:
InferenceOptional wrote:Legitimate question: I'm interested in learning how to do my own taxes, and help family with theirs. What class would be useful?

Fed income tax. But the most helpful thing would be to join VITA

+1. A lot of the accounting kids at my undergrad did Vita. You get practical experience but I imagine that doing all of those repetitive tax returns for free are annoying. Note: you won't learn anything advanced as VITA is catered to doing SIMPLE tax returns for tax payers who are not making much money. I'd take a federal taxation class if I were you.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 pm

1 last question - which professors of these classes tend to be racehorse oriented?

Kordana for corporations?
Who for fed tax - worth 8:30 AM for Ruth Mason?

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:00 am

InferenceOptional wrote:1 last question - which professors of these classes tend to be racehorse oriented?

I think Mason is brand new to UVA.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 am

InferenceOptional wrote:1 last question - which professors of these classes tend to be racehorse oriented?

If you can I'd wait for Yin in the spring

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 am

InferenceOptional wrote:
sprezz wrote:johnson also historically tended towards wide curves in both 1L classes he taught, dunno if same holds for electives

I know how to do well with Johnson, but I was just wondering if the course was a lot of work. His property was half my work load last time (bec what he teaches wasn't sufficient to learn what I knew I'd need for the test). Just wanted to know if T and E is equal.

It wasn't that much of a workload. He certainly taught everything that we needed for the test.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
InferenceOptional wrote:
sprezz wrote:johnson also historically tended towards wide curves in both 1L classes he taught, dunno if same holds for electives

I know how to do well with Johnson, but I was just wondering if the course was a lot of work. His property was half my work load last time (bec what he teaches wasn't sufficient to learn what I knew I'd need for the test). Just wanted to know if T and E is equal.

It wasn't that much of a workload. He certainly taught everything that we needed for the test.

For prop or T+E? It was hard to follow him in property because the class was very big, lots of people towards the back would have loud conversations during it that at least equaled his volume and he'd always go into these minute details about cases that could not have possibly been relevant. I taught it to myself, and it worked out but at least for prop the class was not at all sufficient.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:01 pm

InferenceOptional wrote:
blahblewblah wrote:
InferenceOptional wrote:

For prop or T+E? It was hard to follow him in property because the class was very big, lots of people towards the back would have loud conversations during it that at least equaled his volume and he'd always go into these minute details about cases that could not have possibly been relevant. I taught it to myself, and it worked out but at least for prop the class was not at all sufficient.

For T&E. First, the class was pretty small when I took it. He does go deep into cases, and a lot doesn't matter on the test. The test is only UPC and UTC (Uniform Probate/Trust Code), which is easily learnable. I mean of it was on the lower end of all of law school as far as difficulty. Test was half multiple choice, half short answer, closed book. Also no computers, but as you probably know he is entertaining enough that an hour goes by relatively quick. He also doesn't care about attendance too much it doesn't seem.

biglawww

Postby biglawww » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Can someone comment on the level of difficulty or grade distribution for Securities Regulations with Mahoney? 2L thinking about the class but I don't want to fail myself.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm

biglawww wrote:Can someone comment on the level of difficulty or grade distribution for Securities Regulations with Mahoney? 2L thinking about the class but I don't want to fail myself.

I thought it was one of the more difficult classes I took in law school. It's different from a typical class--there's very little case law, and instead you mostly study the 1933 and 1934 Acts and SEC regulations.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 pm

So Corporations is full - are there any other courses that would be somewhat like that to employers? As it stands the lottery will make me appear as a money hating hippy to employers, which is great for everything but my desire to not become a money deprived hippy.

What classes are like corporations? Accounting? Secured transactions? Anything? I also didn't get any of the 4 one credit short courses I put so the best part is I'm on pace to do an extra semester for this garbage, which gives me another 35k I can borrow - all splendid.

Anything anybody recommends that is businessy? Preferably with an E & E, and a fact patterned examination.

Thanks!

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 pm

InferenceOptional wrote:So Corporations is full - are there any other courses that would be somewhat like that to employers? As it stands the lottery will make me appear as a money hating hippy to employers, which is great for everything but my desire to not become a money deprived hippy.

What classes are like corporations? Accounting? Secured transactions? Anything? I also didn't get any of the 4 one credit short courses I put so the best part is I'm on pace to do an extra semester for this garbage, which gives me another 35k I can borrow - all splendid.

Anything anybody recommends that is businessy? Preferably with an E & E, and a fact patterned examination.

Thanks!

Fed Tax

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Acct/corp finance is always good. Secured transactions. SecReg (re:above, it is a lot to digest/memorize, but it's fairly mechanical). Bankruptcy (same as SecReg).

A spot in corporations will almost assuredly open up, although that won't help you much with OGI. But you'll get plenty of credits, don't worry.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 pm

5ky wrote:Acct/corp finance is always good. Secured transactions. SecReg (re:above, it is a lot to digest/memorize, but it's fairly mechanical). Bankruptcy (same as SecReg).

A spot in corporations will almost assuredly open up, although that won't help you much with OGI. But you'll get plenty of credits, don't worry.

Corporations is a pre req for sec reg, fyi

shibby

Postby shibby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

Can anyone describe their January term experiences? Would you recommend taking them as a 1L? Or are you burnt out enough by them to just want to go home and relax? Thank you!

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 am

shibby wrote:Can anyone describe their January term experiences? Would you recommend taking them as a 1L? Or are you burnt out enough by them to just want to go home and relax? Thank you!

J-term is only a week, so there should be plenty of time to relax.

I've enjoyed the two courses I've taken. It's an opportunity to dabble in an area of law that's interesting but without committing to an entire semester of it. Both the courses I took were graded by exams. I'm not sure I'd want to take on a course that requires a paper, simply because that seems like more work.

At least for some professors, J-terms are absolutely not a guaranteed B+. Be aware of what's expected by the professor.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

shibby wrote:Can anyone describe their January term experiences? Would you recommend taking them as a 1L? Or are you burnt out enough by them to just want to go home and relax? Thank you!

I took a J-term as a 1L and enjoyed it. I don't know what the schedules for each class looks like this year, but the one I took was about a week before Spring semester started, so I had plenty of time to go home and relax between finals and the course.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

One thing to think about--Jterms give you a lot of flexibility with setting your class schedule in your 2L and 3L years. If you do one every year, you basically have taken a whole class out of a semester, and if one of them is the two credit ungraded trial ad college, then you've take a four-credit class out of a semester.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm

supposedly the main j-term week this year is 1/13-17. classes start 1/20

is j term really free for law students? i had to pay in undergrad. #firegroh

DMXdawg

Postby DMXdawg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes, J-terms are free. and for what it's worth, i really enjoyed the consulting course that esterhay/geis taught.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 pm

The Sedona Taphouse, on Milmont just round the corner from the school is going to be an interesting addition to bar review.

Over 50 draft beers and about 450 bottles in this bar/restaurant that opened over the summer.

I struggle to comprehend how busy this place is going to be in a few weeks' time.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:43 pm

One of the things that most surprised me about UVA was that the only bar within walking distance was the incredibly shitty BW3 at Barracks. Glad to see someone's fixed this. That little shopping center on Milmont is the perfect location. Hopefully they will cater to the law school crowd.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:57 pm

albanach wrote:The Sedona Taphouse, on Milmont just round the corner from the school is going to be an interesting addition to bar review.

Over 50 draft beers and about 450 bottles in this bar/restaurant that opened over the summer.

I struggle to comprehend how busy this place is going to be in a few weeks' time.

christ, 6.50 for 12oz of allagash white on tap? that's worse than downtown mall pricing for a bar in barracks's butthole. have you been?

eta: brixx is also in barracks and the new development at the old shell station in barracks was slated for a burger/wine bar last i saw. but, yeah, live by the corner if you want to walk to bars.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:40 am

sprezz wrote:christ, 6.50 for 12oz of allagash white on tap? that's worse than downtown mall pricing for a bar in barracks's butthole. have you been?

eta: brixx is also in barracks and the new development at the old shell station in barracks was slated for a burger/wine bar last i saw. but, yeah, live by the corner if you want to walk to bars.

I didn't claim it was cheap. To be fair though, the interior is up to that of anywhere on the downtown mall, and the beer selection almost certainly better.

If you want it cheaper, go on a Thursday. Growlers are half price.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”