UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dylanfan90

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dylanfan90 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:33 pm

olive16 wrote:
dylanfan90 wrote:Hey so I was just wondering, when is the best amount of time before classes/orientation to move to uva? I'm planning on moving in a week before orientation, and was wondering if, in 2Ls and 3Ls experience, this is too far on the late side in terms of getting to know the area and all that. Also if any incoming 1Ls have some advice on this lemme know. Appreciate the help.

For a single person who is not familiar with Charlottesville, a week should be fine, although I think two weeks would be better. You want to move in early enough so that you're able to familiarize yourself with CVille and get moved in/settled comfortably. CVille isn't that big, so it shouldn't take long to learn the basics. I don't know where you're living or how much you're bringing (single person, moving a family, etc.). My personal anecdote: I had to move in 2 days before orientation. I was familiar with CVille and I didn't have that much stuff, and I was able to do it with no problem.

Great, thanks for the advice and your personal experience, I'll keep that in mind. I am single student straight out of undergrad and living very close to the law campus, so logistics are not a big issue.

If any of my fellow 1Ls (and 2Ls and 3Ls) want to offer some input as well on when they plan to move in/when they moved in for 1L and the like, lemme know (I also posted this message in the class of 2016 thread).

PS: Im thinking of setting up poll of when 1Ls plan to move in on the c/o 2016 thread, does anyone think it would get even remotely accurate results?

DMXdawg

Postby DMXdawg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:42 pm

A week before is definitely more than fine.

shibby

Postby shibby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Did anyone brave a long distance relationship in LS? How did it go, especially if it was taking place during 1L?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:53 pm

shibby wrote:Did anyone brave a long distance relationship in LS? How did it go, especially if it was taking place during 1L?

Long distance naturally makes you speed things up. People either break up or get engaged or it just really strains things (which usually leads to break up). But it's really only the last 4-5 weeks that are super stressful.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

shibby wrote:Did anyone brave a long distance relationship in LS? How did it go, especially if it was taking place during 1L?
I'll let you know in May of 2014 =P

chem

Postby chem » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 pm

A lot of people in my section did and did so successfully. I don't think there was a single breakup, and at least 7 were in long distance relationships

shibby

Postby shibby » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:53 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
I'll let you know in May of 2014 =P

Good, we can check in with each other then :)

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:55 pm

What about for single folks? How's 1L treat them?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

digifly wrote:What about for single folks? How's 1L treat them?

:lol:

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Question about 2L course capacities; I'll use PR with Cohen as an example.

The max capacity in that class is 80 students. The 2L capacity is 58. There are currently 55 people enrolled in the class. Does that mean that there are only 3 spots open for 2Ls?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:18 pm

yea

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Is there a cap of 4 classes? Can you sprinkle on a 1 credit class to get up to 14 ( want to pace out graduating on time). Are J-term courses free if it comes to that?

chem

Postby chem » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 pm

InferenceOptional wrote:Is there a cap of 4 classes? Can you sprinkle on a 1 credit class to get up to 14 ( want to pace out graduating on time). Are J-term courses free if it comes to that?

J-term are free and I highly recommend

Twiqbal

Postby Twiqbal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 am

I'm a rising 2L trying to figure out my classes for next semester. Any thoughts on the following classes/professors? I am specifically interested in the difficulty of exams, whether the class attracts gunners, and what the grade distribution is like.

Crim Pro - Bowers
Con Law II Speech and Press - Kendrick
Antitrust - Nachbar
Con Law II Religious Liberty - Schwartzman
Remedies - Laycock
Jurisprudence -Schauer
Class Actions -Rutherglen

Thanks in advance.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:38 am

InferenceOptional wrote:Is there a cap of 4 classes? Can you sprinkle on a 1 credit class to get up to 14 ( want to pace out graduating on time). Are J-term courses free if it comes to that?

There's no four class limit.

J-term is free and counts toward graduation but doesn't count toward the minimum 12 credits per semester.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

Twiqbal wrote:I'm a rising 2L trying to figure out my classes for next semester. Any thoughts on the following classes/professors? I am specifically interested in the difficulty of exams, whether the class attracts gunners, and what the grade distribution is like.

Crim Pro - Bowers
Con Law II Speech and Press - Kendrick
Antitrust - Nachbar
Con Law II Religious Liberty - Schwartzman
Remedies - Laycock
Jurisprudence -Schauer
Class Actions -Rutherglen

Thanks in advance.

rutherglen is 2 10page papers instead of an exam i think. seems like one was due around finals time based on course reviews (people griping that they didn't know how to improve on their final paper)

schwartzman is one of the guys they mentioned to prospective students when they were talking about certain teachers being big helps as far as nailing down clerkships, i dunno if that's enough to attract gunners or anything. i doubt anybody else remembers that tbh (edited because i worded it vaguely first time around)

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am

Can someone provide feedback on both Trusts & Estates and Laylock's Remedies.

I heard Remedies is gunner heavy because he is good with clerkship recommendations.

Is Trusts & Estates easier/harder than prop in terms of work load?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

I didn't take T&E so I can't directly answer your question. However, learning it for the bar is seriously painful, so I highly recommend taking it.

Also, bowers for crimpro is definite 180

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Remedies is a tough class which combines a lot of torts and contracts. No single concept is hard to understand; it's just that there is a lot of material. Remedies is also a very useful class *if* you are looking to do private litigation. (I wouldn't take it otherwise.) I've definitely used what I learned in Remedies in my summer work more than any other class, except maybe CivPro.

My year it was pretty gunner heavy, but there were not a lot of other gunner classes that semester for some reason, so everyone went into it. FWIW, Laycock has a very wide curve.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 pm

johnson also historically tended towards wide curves in both 1L classes he taught, dunno if same holds for electives

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

On SIS, my financial aid is showing the loan fees to be more than I anticipated. I thought it was 1% for unsubsidized and 4% for grad plus? Are there additional fees that I don't know about?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Did anyone get substantial monies? Close to full tuition? Insights on application process? I am assuming 17X and 3.9 already, but what else is needed?

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:On SIS, my financial aid is showing the loan fees to be more than I anticipated. I thought it was 1% for unsubsidized and 4% for grad plus? Are there additional fees that I don't know about?

no you were just under false impressions.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm

sprezz wrote:rutherglen is 2 10page papers instead of an exam i think. seems like one was due around finals time based on course reviews (people griping that they didn't know how to improve on their final paper)

Originally it was three ten page papers with the final one due on the last day of exams. He dropped a paper, reducing the work by a third. And people were still complaining?

The way the course is structured, there'd be no problem completing the final paper a few weeks before exam time. Worse case scenario is you might edit a few lines. That said, I wrote most of my final paper on the final Friday of the exam period, having taken a Friday morning exam, and did okay. It's ten pages, with no research outside the assigned cases required or expected.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm

sprezz wrote:johnson also historically tended towards wide curves in both 1L classes he taught, dunno if same holds for electives

I know how to do well with Johnson, but I was just wondering if the course was a lot of work. His property was half my work load last time (bec what he teaches wasn't sufficient to learn what I knew I'd need for the test). Just wanted to know if T and E is equal.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”