UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bananapeanutbutter

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Presumption Acquired wrote:Section G has 0.

Didn't think it was possible, but....congrats to them!

LOL. That section is so weak. Did you ever see them at the gym? They can't crush it on exams or at Northgrounds if their lives depended on it. It's like they don't even lift or something.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Is being annoying ban worthy?

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Br3v wrote:Is being annoying ban worthy?

There's be like 10 posters if it was.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm

1. agreed, bananapeanutbutter's shtick is tired.
2. what do we think about the fact that career services doesn't include any curve info on the transcripts anymore? it seems that that could be a disadvantage. If there's a firm that's not familiar with our curve and that firm has another candidate from a different school with some indication on their transcript of where the student falls, wouldn't they be tempted to go with the known quantity?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm

jacksonmead wrote:what do we think about the fact that career services doesn't include any curve info on the transcripts anymore? it seems that that could be a disadvantage. If there's a firm that's not familiar with our curve and that firm has another candidate from a different school with some indication on their transcript of where the student falls, wouldn't they be tempted to go with the known quantity?

this seems paranoid. you can put a version of the 25%/3.48 blurb on a resume or cover letter if you're really worried. but it takes 2 seconds to google the median at any law school. if lack of familiarity with uva's curve is a concern, it's mostly to the extent that it signals they prefer to hire students from other schools. the transcript blurb won't change that.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Anyone in Charlottesville have a copy of Getting to Maybe that they would like to lend/sell/give to me? Going out of town tomorrow and would like to read it while I'm gone

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm

I know you won't believe me, but I'll say it anyway--there's really no point in reading GTM until mid-September at least (before your small section 'mid-term' happens)

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 pm

sundance95 wrote:I know you won't believe me, but I'll say it anyway--there's really no point in reading GTM until mid-September at least (before your small section 'mid-term' happens)

Disagree. Reread it then.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Ok, did anybody get another email about the social security numbers? I was joking before, but I think this one is targeted specifically at me. But I don't have health insurance from the school? I am alright with people knowing my SSN as long as they don't abuse the privilege, but how do I know if they will behave?

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Ok, did anybody get another email about the social security numbers? I was joking before, but I think this one is targeted specifically at me. But I don't have health insurance from the school? I am alright with people knowing my SSN as long as they don't abuse the privilege, but how do I know if they will behave?

I got it too, along with a few others in the UVA2016 thread. Doesn't seem like there's much we can do other than sign up for that credit protection thing and cross our fingers. Word is that it affected ~1000 0L+ law students and a ton of undergrads.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Ok, did anybody get another email about the social security numbers? I was joking before, but I think this one is targeted specifically at me. But I don't have health insurance from the school? I am alright with people knowing my SSN as long as they don't abuse the privilege, but how do I know if they will behave?

I got the same email - the one telling me I was one of the 18,700 students. Also don't have health insurance with the school, so no idea how my info got mixed up in this. Does anyone know what brochures they're talking about? They mention that they have names and addresses on them, but I don't really get the context.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 pm

envisciguy wrote:I got the same email - the one telling me I was one of the 18,700 students.

i.e., damn near every U.Va. student. From http://www.virginia.edu/Facts/Glance_Enrollment.html:

University of Virginia wrote:Current On-Grounds Enrollment

Total Student Enrollment, 2012-13 (On Grounds)
Undergraduate: 14,641
Graduate: 6,454
Total on Grounds: 21,095

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 pm

envisciguy wrote:

I got the same email - the one telling me I was one of the 18,700 students. Also don't have health insurance with the school, so no idea how my info got mixed up in this. Does anyone know what brochures they're talking about? They mention that they have names and addresses on them, but I don't really get the context.

It's a brochure from Aetna/UVA that they sent everyone, looks like just to explain the details of their program. Right above your name and address in the address box is your SSN. It's not labeled as such and there are no dashes, but that's it alright.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 pm

When did they send the brochures to 0Ls? With acceptance letters?

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:41 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:

LOL. That section is so weak. Did you ever see them at the gym? They can't crush it on exams or at Northgrounds if their lives depended on it. It's like they don't even lift or something.

No Section G reps on here? Im surprised. Ill be of some help, I noticed 2 names from G on VLR. Could be more than 2?

Cant help them with gym...99% of law students are sadly small, I only see like 2-3 dudes in the gym who can rep 225 on bench or 315+ on squat...its just sad.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:17 pm

BigLawer wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:

No Section G reps on here? Im surprised. Ill be of some help, I noticed 2 names from G on VLR. Could be more than 2?

Cant help them with gym...99% of law students are sadly small, I only see like 2-3 dudes in the gym who can rep 225 on bench or 315+ on squat...its just sad.

I live for 2 things.

I crush exams, and then I crush it at the gym.

All other sections are screwed.....

.....BUDDDY!

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:52 pm

HAHAHAHAHA

1.) I don't really lift at all, and don't talk about it. I have no interest in it.
2.) I weigh 130 pounds fyi. I would prob be 80th percentile of girl lifters, not below median.
3.) I'm clearly making fun of something very specific, and the person knows anonymously what I'm talking about.
4.) How is it not obvious that I am joking? What does weight lifting have to do with any of the conversation?
5.) Initials bro, really?

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:18 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

1.) I don't really lift at all, and don't talk about it. I have no interest in it.
2.) I weigh 130 pounds fyi. I would prob be 80th percentile of girl lifters, not below median.
3.) I'm clearly making fun of something very specific, and the person knows anonymously what I'm talking about.
4.) How is it not obvious that I am joking? What does weight lifting have to do with any of the conversation?

Alright, I'll bite! What are you making fun of?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:22 pm

People who tell others they're screwed on exams, and proceed to discuss how they destroyed the exam and power lifting.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 pm

That's not good, I go into many exams thinking I'm in trouble then feel like I did well lol

North

Postby North » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:49 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:People who tell others they're screwed on exams, and proceed to discuss how they destroyed the exam and power lifting.

Now that you've made your point to whoever you were trying to make it to, can you stop?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:56 pm

He just wants attention. Foe him or stop responding

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:52 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

Mr. bananapeanutbutter, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent responses were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

dylanfan90

Postby dylanfan90 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey so I was just wondering, when is the best amount of time before classes/orientation to move to uva? I'm planning on moving in a week before orientation, and was wondering if, in 2Ls and 3Ls experience, this is too far on the late side in terms of getting to know the area and all that. Also if any incoming 1Ls have some advice on this lemme know. Appreciate the help.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm

dylanfan90 wrote:Hey so I was just wondering, when is the best amount of time before classes/orientation to move to uva? I'm planning on moving in a week before orientation, and was wondering if, in 2Ls and 3Ls experience, this is too far on the late side in terms of getting to know the area and all that. Also if any incoming 1Ls have some advice on this lemme know. Appreciate the help.

For a single person who is not familiar with Charlottesville, a week should be fine, although I think two weeks would be better. You want to move in early enough so that you're able to familiarize yourself with CVille and get moved in/settled comfortably. CVille isn't that big, so it shouldn't take long to learn the basics. I don't know where you're living or how much you're bringing (single person, moving a family, etc.). My personal anecdote: I had to move in 2 days before orientation. I was familiar with CVille and I didn't have that much stuff, and I was able to do it with no problem.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”