UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Apple Tree » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Another question: does UVA rank its students? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see any.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Another question: does UVA rank its students? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see any.

Nope. The top 25 grade on to law review, but that's about it.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Another question: does UVA rank its students? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see any.

No, but I'm not sure how relevant that is in today's world. Anyone with the desire could find our curve info and calculate rankings. I'm sure firms do since they establish grade cutoffs.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Apple Tree » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah you are right. Thanks! Speaking of jobs, how good is the career service office? I know the chance of an individual landing an internship/job depends on his/her grades and interview skills for the most part, but how helpful is the CSO? Also, this probably doesn't make much difference anyway since firms set min GPA requirement anyway, but do the firms do lottery OCI or prescreen at UVA?
Thanks a lot!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Yeah you are right. Thanks! Speaking of jobs, how good is the career service office? I know the chance of an individual landing an internship/job depends on his/her grades and interview skills for the most part, but how helpful is the CSO? Also, this probably doesn't make much difference anyway since firms set min GPA requirement anyway, but do the firms do lottery OCI or prescreen at UVA?
Thanks a lot!


At least since Dean Donovan has been here, CS has been good I think. At least on the "helpful" part. I've e-mailed him about pretty personal summer employment issues and he's responded within an hour. This was at maybe 6pm EST over spring break. He and most of the other CS advisors also have tons of hours set aside for half hour counseling sessions. They're probably as helpful as you allow them to be.

Traditionally, UVA was the only top school to allow pre-screening. The last two years have seen some experimentation with a hybrid system. Last year was a 50-50 pre-screen/lottery system for the class of 2011. Early word is that there is some reversal coming, and the class of 2012 will have a system that is more heavily weighted toward the pre-screen side. I think firms in the past appreciated the UVA pre-screen system and not having to sit through blowoff interviews. Anything to please employers is probably a good thing ITE and I think it's a fair judgment that if a firm's not interested after having seen your resume and transcripts that they most likely were never going to hire you anyway, no matter who special a flower you might be.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby slider » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Yeah you are right. Thanks! Speaking of jobs, how good is the career service office? I know the chance of an individual landing an internship/job depends on his/her grades and interview skills for the most part, but how helpful is the CSO? Also, this probably doesn't make much difference anyway since firms set min GPA requirement anyway, but do the firms do lottery OCI or prescreen at UVA?
Thanks a lot!


At least since Dean Donovan has been here, CS has been good I think. At least on the "helpful" part. I've e-mailed him about pretty personal summer employment issues and he's responded within an hour. This was at maybe 6pm EST over spring break. He and most of the other CS advisors also have tons of hours set aside for half hour counseling sessions. They're probably as helpful as you allow them to be.

Traditionally, UVA was the only top school to allow pre-screening. The last two years have seen some experimentation with a hybrid system. Last year was a 50-50 pre-screen/lottery system for the class of 2011. Early word is that there is some reversal coming, and the class of 2012 will have a system that is more heavily weighted toward the pre-screen side. I think firms in the past appreciated the UVA pre-screen system and not having to sit through blowoff interviews. Anything to please employers is probably a good thing ITE and I think it's a fair judgment that if a firm's not interested after having seen your resume and transcripts that they most likely were never going to hire you anyway, no matter who special a flower you might be.


This was a very informative post. Thank you for sharing.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Apple Tree » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Thank you very mich JSUVA! That was very informative.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby thesealocust » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:22 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Cons:
[..]
Only one refrigerator and freezer for 4 people - my suite-mates and I may end up splitting the cost of a minifridge for more space


wtf? Since when? The last time I checked I moved my minifridge into the common area because I couldn't fucking fit any groceries in the fridge because you people are animals and each need like 50 gallons milk and 1,000,000 potatoes in the fridge at all times. :lol:

You're supposed to put potatoes in the fridge?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Cons:
[..]
Only one refrigerator and freezer for 4 people - my suite-mates and I may end up splitting the cost of a minifridge for more space


wtf? Since when? The last time I checked I moved my minifridge into the common area because I couldn't fucking fit any groceries in the fridge because you people are animals and each need like 50 gallons milk and 1,000,000 potatoes in the fridge at all times. :lol:

You're supposed to put potatoes in the fridge?

That was my first thought too. According to the National Potato Council, refrigerating potatoes causes the starch to turn into sugar and forms dark spots.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby napolnic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 am

im_blue wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Cons:
[..]
Only one refrigerator and freezer for 4 people - my suite-mates and I may end up splitting the cost of a minifridge for more space


wtf? Since when? The last time I checked I moved my minifridge into the common area because I couldn't fucking fit any groceries in the fridge because you people are animals and each need like 50 gallons milk and 1,000,000 potatoes in the fridge at all times. :lol:

You're supposed to put potatoes in the fridge?

That was my first thought too. According to the National Potato Council, refrigerating potatoes causes the starch to turn into sugar and forms dark spots.

Once again, our lives made better by... the National Potato Council.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby slider » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

1Ls: Halfway through your second semester, which semester (1st or 2nd) do you feel was harder in terms of workload and/or general difficulty of the material?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 pm

slider wrote:1Ls: Halfway through your second semester, which semester (1st or 2nd) do you feel was harder in terms of workload and/or general difficulty of the material?

First, if only because nobody knew how the hell they were doing then. Now that I've actually been through exams it's a lot easier, I know what to expect and have some idea what works and what doesn't. It makes your working much more efficient.

User avatar
gmail
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby gmail » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:25 am

Worst thing about the law school?
Worst thing about Charlottesville?

Grad09
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Grad09 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 am

As far as placement is concerned, how well does UVA place in the government sector? (emphasis on national security or domestic/intl policy)
I.E. Department of Justice, FBI, etc.

How about the international arena?
I.E. IMF, World Bank, UN, etc.
Would the LRAP terms apply to these?

Thanks!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 am

slider wrote:1Ls: Halfway through your second semester, which semester (1st or 2nd) do you feel was harder in terms of workload and/or general difficulty of the material?


First semester was a lot harder in terms of workload. LRW took up a lot more time, and not knowing what you're doing adds a lot of time to the reading.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

slider wrote:1Ls: Halfway through your second semester, which semester (1st or 2nd) do you feel was harder in terms of workload and/or general difficulty of the material?

The difficulty of the material stays the same, but after a semester of reading cases I can read through them faster and quickly identify the important rules and rationales. That, and the fact that our LRW assignment is based on the research we did last semester, makes this semester seem easier. The first part of the semester was stressful because I didn't have a job lined up, but since that's over with, I feel the next few weeks will go a lot more smoothly than last semester.

First semester can also be rough because you have absolutely no idea how your grades will turn out. You have a good sense of how well you know the material and how well you can answer an exam question, but you don't know if everyone else can answer exam questions just as well as you can. I think that caused me to waste a lot of time doing things that were completely unnecessary - formatting outlines to make them "perfect," reading all of the note cases carefully, etc. Now that I've learned that getting above the median doesn't involve knowing the obscure rules from cases not covered in class or having a super detailed outline to refer to during exams, I think I'm spending my time more efficiently this semester, which means I have more time for other things (always a plus).

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby bluejayk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am

any recommendations for a hotel this weekend in C-Ville for Thursday and Friday night?

Hope to see some TLS'ers at ASW, I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the only dessicated 80-year old Chinese man in a Mao suit.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

i'll be lookin fo da gold!!!!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:58 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:Where's a decent, inexpensive gym a guy visiting for ASW can work out this weekend?

I think Snap Fitness 24/7 (it's on US 29 just north of Hydraulic Rd) is still doing their one-free-day membership trial. Get the address of your host and put it down as a local address and they'll probably give you a free membership. This might be a little immoral, but hey, you are trying them out and you would probably use it to decide whether to join there in the fall, so why not? :wink:

User avatar
thepunisher24
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm

dgouzoul wrote:i'll be lookin fo da gold!!!!


could be a crackheeaaad

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:i'll be lookin fo da gold!!!!


could be a crackheeaaad



As an Alabama native, I proudly support that video and the picture it paints of our state.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm

i was born in Mobile :)

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 pm

dgouzoul wrote:i was born in Mobile :)



Nice... Montgomery here. Birmingham's the only city in this state I would ever live in after school, though.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:i'll be lookin fo da gold!!!!


could be a crackheeaaad


That was probably one of the funniest viedoes I saw on youtube. Leprechaun. :D




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests