UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
envisciguy

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby envisciguy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:07 pm

North wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:How'd 45 get on? Don't only 25 grade on? This makes me feel like I'm f'd and the median is really like a 3.6.

25 grade on + 15 write on + 5 Virginia Plan = 45.

What's Virginia Plan?

Diversity plan - top 1/3 grades + top 1/3 writing + diversity. They can pick up to 5 people based on that formula.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I just got reeeaaaaallll intimidated with that last page. I thought UVA wasn't all that competitive... :?

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Wow, imagine getting the call like 2 weeks after LR calls go out saying "hey, someone transferred, you were #26 grades/#16 writing, want it?"

Presumption Acquired

Postby Presumption Acquired » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:I just got reeeaaaaallll intimidated with that last page. I thought UVA wasn't all that competitive... :?

You're screwed, buddy.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Presumption Acquired wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:I just got reeeaaaaallll intimidated with that last page. I thought UVA wasn't all that competitive... :?

You're screwed, buddy.

Haha, thanks for the words of encouragement!

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:

You're screwed, buddy.

I can't wait till you take a class with §L. The dude chewing tobacco is gonna spit some in your face during the exam. #RoadToC+

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:

You're screwed, buddy.

I can't wait till you take a class with §L. The dude chewing tobacco is gonna spit some in your face during the exam. #RoadToC+

Unless... wait... what if I'm the one chewing tobacco :shock:

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm

0Ls — don't misread the law review talk. The one thing that all law students care about, even if they pretend they don't, is Law Review. But they care for about five minutes, when the list first comes out, and then forget about it for the next two years.

Softball, on the other hand, is a different story.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Unless... wait... what if I'm the one chewing tobacco :shock:

just make sure you've eaten some. tobacco+empty stomach didn't work out for anastasia last night, and now she'll never make law review.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm

sprezz wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Unless... wait... what if I'm the one chewing tobacco :shock:

just make sure you've eaten some. tobacco+empty stomach didn't work out for anastasia last night, and now she'll never make law review.

Rumor is §L would have had even more than 9, but they got cocky during finals. About forty minutes into Johnson's property final, one girl from L pulled out a hackey sack and next thing we knew it was a full on LitiGator hackey sack party. They shut their computers off, and were joking how they only needed 1/2 the allotted time to get A's. They turned them back on like forty minutes later, and typed away but my guess is they might have given themselves too little time. I'll tell you one thing though. I was intimidated enough what with the tobacco kid and Bentham and all, but the hackey sack just made it unbearable. I threw up my whole breakfast. The lesson is don't take classes with L, and don't eat pork chops for breakfast before an exam.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:32 pm

sprezz wrote:

Rumor is §L would have had even more than 9, but they got cocky during finals. About forty minutes into Johnson's property final, one girl from L pulled out a hackey sack and next thing we knew it was a full on LitiGator hackey sack party. They shut their computers off, and were joking how they only needed 1/2 the allotted time to get A's. They turned them back on like forty minutes later, and typed away but my guess is they might have given themselves too little time. I'll tell you one thing though. I was intimidated enough what with the tobacco kid and Bentham and all, but the hackey sack just made it unbearable. I threw up my whole breakfast. The lesson is don't take classes with L, and don't eat pork chops for breakfast before an exam.

this shtick is already tired, and you only started it today

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

sundance95 wrote:
sprezz wrote:

this shtick is already tired, and you only started it today

Get back to me after you take a class with L brah.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 pm

WTF is this shit

Student Records wrote:Non-Classroom Credits: The ABA limits the number of non-classroom
credits students can apply towards their JD degrees. Heretofore, this has
not been a concern. Given the advent of externships and the increase in
clinical credits in recent years, we now need to alert you to these limits
so you can plan your third-year course schedules accordingly.

Here are the main points:

• Of the 86 credits needed for the JD degree at Virginia, a maximum of 22
credits can be “non-classroom” credits.
• The attached grid displays which courses have non-classroom credits as
part/all of their credits. For example, students who complete the Criminal
Defense Clinic earn five credits, two of which are deemed non-classroom
clinics. Similarly, four of the seven credits earned in the First Amendment
Clinic are non-classroom credits.
• All credits earned in directed and independent research, part-time and
full-time externships, and non-law courses applied towards the JD degree are
non-classroom credits.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Seems fine to me. FYI almost all of UVA's class requirements are structured in such a way that you'll meet the requirements to apply to sit for the bar. For example, in NY you need 2 credits of PR, minimum of like 80 credits, etc. I'm almost positive that there was a minimum of classroom (vs. clinics, etc.) credits as well.

They do that so you don't sit down to register for the bar in spring of 3L and realize you're fucked because you didn't take the right classes.

edit: yeah, here's NY requirements to sit for the bar. Note how it requires 64 in-class credits to sit for the bar, which is conveniently exactly what UVA requires to graduate.

Overview of Instructional, Credit Hour and Course of Study Requirements (Applicants should read Rule 520.3 in its entirety for all requirements):

Program and course of study at ABA approved law school must be completed no earlier than 24 months and no later than 60 months after commencement of all law study.
A student is not permitted to enroll in coursework that exceeds 20% of total coursework required for graduation.
At least 83 credits hours must be required for graduation.
At least 64 of the 83 credit hours must be earned in classroom study.
At least 2 credit hours must be earned in a course in professional responsibility.
Up to 30 credits hours may be granted for clinical courses, field placements programs and externships (including classroom components), within defined parameters, toward the 83 credit hours.
Up to 12 credit hours may be awarded toward the 83 credit hours (but not the 64 classroom credit hours) for joint degree or other courses taught at another school within the university or at a school affiliated with law school.
Up to 12 credit hours of synchronous distance education courses, within defined parameters, may be included in the 83 credit hours and the 64 classroom credit hours.
No more than one-third of total credits required for graduation may come from study in a foreign country.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm more wondering why we're being alerted to this as a potential issue while the 3L class lottery is going on, and not, say, months ago. Someone who is doing one of the externship options and had done some independent study/direct research could already be caught out by this.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 pm

sundance95 wrote:I'm more wondering why we're being alerted to this as a potential issue while the 3L class lottery is going on, and not, say, months ago. Someone who is doing one of the externship options and had done some independent study/direct research could already be caught out by this.

On the bright side, your social security number might not be public knowledge right now.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
sundance95 wrote:I'm more wondering why we're being alerted to this as a potential issue while the 3L class lottery is going on, and not, say, months ago. Someone who is doing one of the externship options and had done some independent study/direct research could already be caught out by this.

On the bright side, your social security number might not be public knowledge right now.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Can't wait for some other dude to file my tax return for me next year using my SSN. Thanks UVA.

digifly

Postby digifly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I hope whoever steals my SSN builds up my credit and qualifies me for more aid!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am

sundance95 wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:How'd 45 get on? Don't only 25 grade on? This makes me feel like I'm f'd and the median is really like a 3.6.

25 grade on + 15 write on + 5 Virginia Plan = 45.

Doesn't necessarily mean that 5 were Virginia Plan. Dual degree students (i.e. JD/MBA) are deferred during their year at Darden and get added on the year they return to the law school (their 2L year / 3d year in the JD/MBA program).

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am

digifly wrote:I hope whoever steals my SSN builds up my credit and qualifies me for more aid!

If TLS had a "like" button, I would click it.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:53 pm

StanleyF wrote:0Ls — don't misread the law review talk. The one thing that all law students care about, even if they pretend they don't, is Law Review. But they care for about five minutes, when the list first comes out, and then forget about it for the next two years.

This reminds me of how bad I wanted to be on LR as a 1L, then after I landed my SA position as a 2L, how happy I was that I am not on law review. Most SAs at my firm are on LR, some are EIC. They are constantly complaining about all the work they have had to do this summer and everything they'll have to do this year as 3Ls. Meanwhile, I sit quietly revelling in the glory of having no journal responsibilites as a 3L. VLBR FTW.

Seriously, if you make LR, that's awesome. You should be happy about it. However, if you don't make LR but you still land whatever 2L summer job you were hoping for, it's probably all the better.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Did anyone hear about the 10th person from §L added to LR? It's enough already.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 pm

pjo wrote:
StanleyF wrote:0Ls — don't misread the law review talk. The one thing that all law students care about, even if they pretend they don't, is Law Review. But they care for about five minutes, when the list first comes out, and then forget about it for the next two years.

This reminds me of how bad I wanted to be on LR as a 1L, then after I landed my SA position as a 2L, how happy I was that I am not on law review. Most SAs at my firm are on LR, some are EIC. They are constantly complaining about all the work they have had to do this summer and everything they'll have to do this year as 3Ls. Meanwhile, I sit quietly revelling in the glory of having no journal responsibilites as a 3L. VLBR FTW.

Seriously, if you make LR, that's awesome. You should be happy about it. However, if you don't make LR but you still land whatever 2L summer job you were hoping for, it's probably all the better.

I'm convinced the best place to be is at a 3.65 and basically get all the opportunities as LR students but not the same obligations. None of my friends on LR (here or at other schools) enjoyed their experience. But gunners be gunnin, I suppose.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 pm

desertlaw wrote:
pjo wrote:

I'm convinced the best place to be is at a 3.65 and basically get all the opportunities as LR students but not the same obligations. None of my friends on LR (here or at other schools) enjoyed their experience. But gunners be gunnin, I suppose.

This sounds like a §G philosophy - settling for defeat because we can't go against the elite sections.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”