UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
desertlaw

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:09 pm

North wrote:So, we're about a month out from starting. What are the first couple weeks of orientation and 1L going to be like? How was the getting acclimated/settled period for you guys? Vague Q, but I've been wondering more about it as August has started creeping up.

Fun. Lots and lots of fun. First few weeks of 1L are like nothing else. Meeting a ton of super interesting/cool people, drinking/partying/socializing nearly every night, and being challenged in a new intellectual way. Or it's an overkill of meeting weird gunners, seeing too many people acting immaturely, and thinking 1L material/cases is way too difficult. Some mix of the above.

But typically, most people would tell you that first month of 1L is pretty fun, generally stress-free once you grasp how to read a case, and usually the time where you start making some good friends.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:43 pm

desertlaw wrote:
North wrote:So, we're about a month out from starting. What are the first couple weeks of orientation and 1L going to be like? How was the getting acclimated/settled period for you guys? Vague Q, but I've been wondering more about it as August has started creeping up.

Fun. Lots and lots of fun. First few weeks of 1L are like nothing else. Meeting a ton of super interesting/cool people, drinking/partying/socializing nearly every night, and being challenged in a new intellectual way. Or it's an overkill of meeting weird gunners, seeing too many people acting immaturely, and thinking 1L material/cases is way too difficult. Some mix of the above.

But typically, most people would tell you that first month of 1L is pretty fun, generally stress-free once you grasp how to read a case, and usually the time where you start making some good friends.

I'm pretty excited

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Br3v wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

I'm pretty excited

10/10, would do 1L all over again. You are about to start the best 3 years of your life.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Anyone have any pre-law school books they might want to recycle to me? I'm going on vacation soon and would like to bring a couple books with me. I am interested in anything that might help with exams/legal writing/1L year in general. I'm in Charlottesville already, so I guess this only applies to those who are actually in town. PM me if you have anything you think might be useful. Thanks!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Anyone have any pre-law school books they might want to recycle to me? I'm going on vacation soon and would like to bring a couple books with me. I am interested in anything that might help with exams/legal writing/1L year in general. I'm in Charlottesville already, so I guess this only applies to those who are actually in town. PM me if you have anything you think might be useful. Thanks!

I literally left about 15 hornbooks by the Ivy Gardens back left corner dumpster today, go nuts

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 am

Br3v wrote:I'm pretty excited

Me too. Even more now with those posts.

KdRw19

Postby KdRw19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 am

desertlaw wrote:
Br3v wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

I'm pretty excited

10/10, would do 1L all over again. You are about to start the best 3 years of your life.

I think you might have done undergrad wrong.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 am

Orientation was fun. The first few weeks of school were very exciting, but stressful. During your first couple of weeks, your emphasis should be on meeting people, socializing, and getting very comfortable with the law school and Charlottesville. Most professors will try to slowly break you in and get you comfortable reading and understanding cases, and so the substantive material that you will learn in your first 1 to 3 weeks of 1L Fall is so basic that it can literally be mastered in (at most) an hour or two at the end of the semester.

During the stress/fast pace of the first few weeks, my above advice will almost surely go unpracticed, but it's advice I wish I had listened to.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 am

KdRw19 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Undergrad at large state university known for attractive women/flipflopsinfebruary/partying was great, but UVa law provided plenty of social shenanigans to accompany actually being challenged in coursework. I admittedly drank all of the Virginia law kool-aid and am plenty happy to serve it to anyone willing to drink it up.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 am

important ogi question: can anyone tell me about drunk league softball? seems like the perfect thing to finish out that second page of my resume

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am

I can attest that 1L at UVA Law was more fun than any one year of undergrad. Like desertlaw said, it's just a great combination of academics and having a good time.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am

sprezz wrote:important ogi question: can anyone tell me about drunk league softball? seems like the perfect thing to finish out that second page of my resume

Drunk league softball is amazing. I'm still sad that I was not involved as a 1L. But, we did drink a lot of beer during our regular softball games.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...

UVAs budget includes 1800 for books and supplies, which would be 900 per semester. Do books/supplements really come close to that number? :shock:

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...

UVAs budget includes 1800 for books and supplies, which would be 900 per semester. Do books/supplements really come close to that number? :shock:

Yes at the bookstore; not necessarily if you shop around online.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Here's a tip that will save you a few dollars-do NOT buy The Lawyer's Craft for LRW. Every year incoming 1Ls are given this advice and ignore it (as I did), only to realize at the end of the year that they have not read a single page of it, nor even opened it. These 1Ls become 2Ls, who then pass along this sage advice to the next generation to be ignored. And so the circle of life continues.

Srsly tho don't buy it

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:05 pm

desertlaw wrote:
KdRw19 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Undergrad at large state university known for attractive women/flipflopsinfebruary/partying was great, but UVa law provided plenty of social shenanigans to accompany actually being challenged in coursework. I admittedly drank all of the Virginia law kool-aid and am plenty happy to serve it to anyone willing to drink it up.

I'll have a sip!

KdRw19

Postby KdRw19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:37 pm

sundance95 wrote:

Here's a tip that will save you a few dollars-do NOT buy The Lawyer's Craft for LRW. Every year incoming 1Ls are given this advice and ignore it (as I did), only to realize at the end of the year that they have not read a single page of it, nor even opened it. These 1Ls become 2Ls, who then pass along this sage advice to the next generation to be ignored. And so the circle of life continues.

Srsly tho don't buy it

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm so going to buy it. You guys are just trying to sabotage us 0Ls.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:14 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I'm so going to buy it. You guys are just trying to sabotage us 0Ls.

You are joking I assume, but the sad thing is I have never heard of this book outside of this thread but I can already tell that when they tell me to buy the book day 1 I will :oops:

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Please, if you must buy the book, at least make this compromise, do not open it even once. In a moment of weakness I looked at the weekly LRW reading assignment and thought about it for a good 6-7 minutes, so I can't even honestly claim to have never opened it. Thus, I can't get into any of the good clubs or parties.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Br3v wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm so going to buy it. You guys are just trying to sabotage us 0Ls.

You are joking I assume, but the sad thing is I have never heard of this book outside of this thread but I can already tell that when they tell me to buy the book day 1 I will :oops:

Eh... I never bought text books in undergrad. Why start now? Don't want to change my habits too much.

Twiqbal

Postby Twiqbal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 am

The VLR announced its new members this week:

--LinkRemoved--

Anyone know which sections are best represented?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Is anyone else unable to log into LawWeb right now?

chem

Postby chem » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:05 pm

sundance95 wrote:Is anyone else unable to log into LawWeb right now?

I can get on

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Now I can too, hmm. Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”