UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bgdddymtty

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 am

digifly wrote:
You shouldn't need to pay for now if you haven't been out of school before. Federal student loans have an automatic six-month deferment on graduation.

Sorry, I should have made my situation more clear. I finished school in December of last year, and I haven't been enrolled since then. Because of that, I've reached the end of the automatic deferral period, and they are now asking for payment.
Gotcha. In that case, either pay or ask for a forbearance. They'll definitely grant you one if you're starting school in a month or two and aren't making huge money. Either way, they will automatically re-defer the loans once they get the update from the Law School that you're enrolled, which will probably be around the beginning of September.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:20 am

olive16 wrote:Has anyone taken or heard anything about Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn? It is a seminar that meets once a week in the evenings and seems to require a lot of class participation. Think it's too much for a 2L doing OGI?

Any other input?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 am

olive16 wrote:
olive16 wrote:Has anyone taken or heard anything about Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn? It is a seminar that meets once a week in the evenings and seems to require a lot of class participation. Think it's too much for a 2L doing OGI?

Any other input?

i suspect nobody's taken that class with that professor. rottenborn was with kirkland and ellis in chicago until 2012 and doesn't appear to have taught anything at uva law before now.

send the guy an email if you want to know how bad missing a few classes for ogi would be in his class?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:45 pm

0L etiquette question. I have no internet at my apartment at the moment and want to know if it would be in any way untoward if I went up to the law school and used a study room to do some tutoring over Skype.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:18 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:0L etiquette question. I have no internet at my apartment at the moment and want to know if it would be in any way untoward if I went up to the law school and used a study room to do some tutoring over Skype.

Would not be a problem.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:37 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:0L etiquette question. I have no internet at my apartment at the moment and want to know if it would be in any way untoward if I went up to the law school and used a study room to do some tutoring over Skype.

Wow. You asshole. Just kidding haha

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Definitely not a problem, considering the law school is relatively empty right now.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I just didn't want to come off as one of those law school wannabes or anything. Glad to know it isn't an issue.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:29 pm

envisciguy wrote:

Definitely not a problem, considering the law school is relatively empty right now.

dem bar studiers, tho

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:36 pm

5ky wrote:
envisciguy wrote:

dem bar studiers, tho
Yeah, and it about to get cray-cray up in the libes. Not many people, but you'll be able to cut tension with a knife.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm

No one would care as long as you're quiet, and there's plenty of private space if you poke around a little, even with bar studiers, but I don't know if you can use the school's wifi network at this point.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:38 am

What do most people do for cable/internet? Comcast? Verizon Fios? I wanted to get Verizon but when I entered my address I was told it wasn't available in the area. That seems rather unlikely to me but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks guys.

memaha

Postby memaha » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:17 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:What do most people do for cable/internet? Comcast? Verizon Fios? I wanted to get Verizon but when I entered my address I was told it wasn't available in the area. That seems rather unlikely to me but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks guys.

HAHA, have fun with Comcast... Or if you are living in Ivy, have even more fun with whatever they have there.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 am

memaha wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:What do most people do for cable/internet? Comcast? Verizon Fios? I wanted to get Verizon but when I entered my address I was told it wasn't available in the area. That seems rather unlikely to me but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks guys.

HAHA, have fun with Comcast... Or if you are living in Ivy, have even more fun with whatever they have there.

Jeffersonian actually. Verizon's website couldn't find my exact address and accordingly told me that no service was available. Hoping this isn't the case lol.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:14 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:
memaha wrote:

Thanks guys.

Jeffersonian actually. Verizon's website couldn't find my exact address and accordingly told me that no service was available. Hoping this isn't the case lol.

Fios? In Charlottesville? You still can't get Fios in plenty of major cities (just checked my summer address in DC...no dice). I suppose you could do DSL, but everyone I know just deals with Comcast.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 am

dixon02 wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
memaha wrote:

Thanks guys.

Fios? In Charlottesville? You still can't get Fios in plenty of major cities (just checked my summer address in DC...no dice). I suppose you could do DSL, but everyone I know just deals with Comcast.

Didn't realize that, we've had it up by me for a while I believe. Alright thanks guys, Comcast it is.

chem

Postby chem » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:
memaha wrote:

Thanks guys.

Centurylink is decent and very cheap

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 am

I had a similar process of anger, denial, bargaining, depression and then acceptance when I found out there's no FIOS in Richmond.

Your only options for internet are Comcast or CenturyLink (lol, DSL).

For TV, just want to let everyone know that from most parts of Charlottesville, you can get free HD over the air with a decent antenna. Just networks and PBS, but free is hard to beat.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 am

You may not be able to get on UVa's wifi yet. But if you already have your student ID, and have trouble getting online, go see the incredibly nice people at IT, on the third floor of Withers Brown (take the elevator across from the library).

Also, if people are going nuts studying for the bar in the library, just find an open, empty classroom and use that.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Eh... place locks at five and tutoring is at 6... to Starbucks with me.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:09 pm

For anyone who has renewed their lease at Ivy Garden in the past, has the manager ever sent you an updated lease or a confirmation of renewal? I sent in the renewal form sometime in late February and have not heard anything since.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Eh... place locks at five and tutoring is at 6... to Starbucks with me.

The library closes at 5, but the law school itself is still open. You could always sit in Scott Commons and it would be fine, although the posters pointing out the wifi problems might be right. It's a pain to connect to the wifi the first time and you might need to visit IT.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm

envisciguy wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Eh... place locks at five and tutoring is at 6... to Starbucks with me.

The library closes at 5, but the law school itself is still open. You could always sit in Scott Commons and it would be fine, although the posters pointing out the wifi problems might be right. It's a pain to connect to the wifi the first time and you might need to visit IT.

the law school locks, though, if he/she doesn't have his ID yet

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 pm

5ky wrote:
envisciguy wrote:

the law school locks, though, if he/she doesn't have his ID yet

Oh right, good point.

North

Postby North » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 pm

So, we're about a month out from starting. What are the first couple weeks of orientation and 1L going to be like? How was the getting acclimated/settled period for you guys? Vague Q, but I've been wondering more about it as August has started creeping up.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”