UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Daily_Double

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schulte212

Postby Schulte212 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if VLR write on/diversity invitations have gone out? I am pretty sure grade-ons have been notified, just not sure about the others.

auburnbelle89

Postby auburnbelle89 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Schulte212 wrote:Does anyone know if VLR write on/diversity invitations have gone out? I am pretty sure grade-ons have been notified, just not sure about the others.

Could be wrong, but I think write on/diversity/grade-on went out at the same time based one what I've heard.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Schulte212 wrote:Does anyone know if VLR write on/diversity invitations have gone out? I am pretty sure grade-ons have been notified, just not sure about the others.

I know write ons have gone out, friend got an invite no where close to even a 3.6. I am sure they send them all out at the same time so you dont know that the only reason you got on was because of diversity.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

has anyone here taken Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy? Any thoughts on the course/workload?

Thanks.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:01 pm

albanach wrote:has anyone here taken Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy? Any thoughts on the course/workload?

Thanks.
You do one speech per week. Unless you're the one particularly gifted speaker in the class, you get a B+. It's a useful class, and the workload's very reasonable. Very.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 am

when is class signup what r da racehorses dis tyme?

Just

Postby Just » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 am

How is the transfer out scene like at UVA? Like how many transfer out and what kind of gpa has worked for people transferred to schools such as columbia? Thanks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am

Just wrote:How is the transfer out scene like at UVA? Like how many transfer out and what kind of gpa has worked for people transferred to schools such as columbia? Thanks.

I don't know anyone that transferred up, though that's not to say it hasn't happened. I can't imagine why anyone would though, if you have those sort of grades you'll be on law review. I can't see any doors being closed to a law review member at UVA that are open to a non law review student at Columbia.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:when is class signup what r da racehorses dis tyme?

I really hope this was an example of drunk TLSing and not an attempt to be funny. 2Ls can sign up for upper level classes on July 10th and the rest starting on the 24th.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:35 am

albanach wrote:
Just wrote:How is the transfer out scene like at UVA? Like how many transfer out and what kind of gpa has worked for people transferred to schools such as columbia? Thanks.

I don't know anyone that transferred up, though that's not to say it hasn't happened. I can't imagine why anyone would though, if you have those sort of grades you'll be on law review. I can't see any doors being closed to a law review member at UVA that are open to a non law review student at Columbia.
I'll go a step further and say that I can't see any doors closed to a law review member at UVa that are open to a law review member at Columbia. Any non-HYS transfer is at best a lateral move.

If you want to talk to someone who has gone through the process, you might want to PM vanwinkle, who started this thread before moving on to Harvard. He's the only person I know of who has transferred.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am

You could probably transfer out to Columbia or NYU without LR grades. That said, I'd agree that it's more or less a lateral move, and I don't know why you'd do it unless you had family in NYC you wanted to be closer to. Giving up the friendships you've made 1L year and starting fresh seems like it'd need a pretty strong justification.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am

bgdddymtty wrote:If you want to talk to someone who has gone through the process, you might want to PM vanwinkle, who started this thread before moving on to Harvard. He's the only person I know of who has transferred.

Shudder. I completely forgot about Vanwinkle which is quite inexcusable. Clearly a move to HYS is somewhat different to Columbia though.

Vanwinkle and others have commented on a thread about this here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=144847

Just

Postby Just » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks guys. Also, has it ever happened that one's promised scholarship got reduced for reasons not listed on the scholarship letter? I'm still waiting for undergrad final grades to come out...

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 am

Anyone have a clue how much the Paris j-term course costs extra out of pocket? Not much information on the site.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 am

Just wrote:Thanks guys. Also, has it ever happened that one's promised scholarship got reduced for reasons not listed on the scholarship letter? I'm still waiting for undergrad final grades to come out...

If you clearly mailed in your last semester and got a C,D,C-,F, then I could see them addressing it. Other than that I can't think of why that would happen. It certainly wouldn't be for a minor or even moderate GPA drop off.

Just

Postby Just » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:38 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Just wrote:Thanks guys. Also, has it ever happened that one's promised scholarship got reduced for reasons not listed on the scholarship letter? I'm still waiting for undergrad final grades to come out...

If you clearly mailed in your last semester and got a C,D,C-,F, then I could see them addressing it. Other than that I can't think of why that would happen. It certainly wouldn't be for a minor or even moderate GPA drop off.

are they allowed to do that? there is no indication of that in the scholarship letter.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:04 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
albanach wrote:has anyone here taken Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy? Any thoughts on the course/workload?

Thanks.
You do one speech per week. Unless you're the one particularly gifted speaker in the class, you get a B+. It's a useful class, and the workload's very reasonable. Very.

It is a fantastic class. The professors are nationally recognized and very good. While the workload is very reasonable, it still takes some time each week for most people to prepare a good speech.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 am

Has anyone taken or heard anything about Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn? It is a seminar that meets once a week in the evenings and seems to require a lot of class participation. Think it's too much for a 2L doing OGI?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 am

I'd caution against a course that meets only once a week in your OGI semester. Stick to classes where you can afford to miss a class without the prof getting bent out of shape.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Does anyone know how to get UG loans on to deferment? I know that loan servicers are different, but it seems that mine is saying that an official at UVA needs to sign some confirmation for me. Has anyone been able to do this without actually being in Virginia yet? Thanks!

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 am

digifly wrote:Does anyone know how to get UG loans on to deferment? I know that loan servicers are different, but it seems that mine is saying that an official at UVA needs to sign some confirmation for me. Has anyone been able to do this without actually being in Virginia yet? Thanks!

They automatically defer when you're back in school.

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:20 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
digifly wrote:Does anyone know how to get UG loans on to deferment? I know that loan servicers are different, but it seems that mine is saying that an official at UVA needs to sign some confirmation for me. Has anyone been able to do this without actually being in Virginia yet? Thanks!

That's what I thought, but a friend at UCLA said he had to make sure the law school sent in deferment forms. I suppose I'll just pay for now and then see if it happens automatically. Thanks for the help.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am

digifly wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:

That's what I thought, but a friend at UCLA said he had to make sure the law school sent in deferment forms. I suppose I'll just pay for now and then see if it happens automatically. Thanks for the help.
You shouldn't need to pay for now if you haven't been out of school before. Federal student loans have an automatic six-month deferment on graduation.

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

You shouldn't need to pay for now if you haven't been out of school before. Federal student loans have an automatic six-month deferment on graduation.

Sorry, I should have made my situation more clear. I finished school in December of last year, and I haven't been enrolled since then. Because of that, I've reached the end of the automatic deferral period, and they are now asking for payment.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”