UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WalnutSurprise

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WalnutSurprise » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Question: Best bar within walking distance of the Jeffersonian? Corner is a bit too far for drunken stumbles home.

No it isn't. I've done it a few times, but always felt like an idiot the next morning. The corner and downtown are really the only areas with bars, but the cabs are plentiful and cheap. I guess you could go to Buffalo Wild Wings if you're just looking to get drunk around other people and don't mind the gunshots

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Gunshots? Shootings? What?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Related question: Does that grocery store at the shopping center have a decent beer selection? If not, where can I grab some good craft beers?

Yeah, that place is pretty good.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:43 pm

btw don't forget to sign up as a UVA student at both Harris Teeter (the grocery store in Barracks closer to the law school) or Kroger (also in Barracks, by the ABC store at the very end). You get 5% off groceries with your shoppers' card. That shit seriously adds up over 3 years.

Probably need your student ID though.

re: Buffalo Wild WIngs. There's been I think two shootings there this past year. One was described as a "melee", including some stabby-ness. The townies go there and get a little out of control. Also, Barracks gets a little sketchy after 11 or so. I wouldn't wander around there if you were a girl and alone. But I don't mean to scare anybody, the BWW stuff is something people just joke about. I've never felt unsafe

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Related question: Does that grocery store at the shopping center have a decent beer selection? If not, where can I grab some good craft beers?

Sounds like we need to hang out. My friend sent me this a while back: http://www.sedonataphouse.com/. Looks amazing, but I probably won't be able to afford it while in school haha.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm

digifly wrote:

Sounds like we need to hang out. My friend sent me this a while back: http://www.sedonataphouse.com/. Looks amazing, but I probably won't be able to afford it while in school haha.

that looks pretty slick, actually.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:57 pm

digifly wrote:

Hnnnngggg.......

I do love my beer. I had to give up two beers I was aging to the guy who helped me move. He's a true bro, though, so I don't mind.

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
digifly wrote:

Hnnnngggg.......

I do love my beer. I had to give up two beers I was aging to the guy who helped me move. He's a true bro, though, so I don't mind.

I'd recommend buying a growler from starr hill. You can get draft fills in it for 7.50. Cheap and crafty

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Harris Teeter has a pretty good selection. Might also want to check out Foods of All Nations on Ivy. I went there the other week and was able to find a Michigan craft brew I was looking for and they had a ton of other beers I haven't really seen before.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm rather encouraged by the past 10 or so posts in this thread.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:58 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:I'm rather encouraged by the past 10 or so posts in this thread.

Beer is the answer.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:I'm rather encouraged by the past 10 or so posts in this thread.

Beer is the answer.

Just avoid beer run. It sounds like a good place, and i'm generally all about over paying for booze, but been run crosses the line

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 am

When I visited the Krogers had a really good craft selection (for a grocery store)

The cabs weren't that cheap though, but maybe because that's because I am cheap.

Also, and I like it better this way because I am looking for a more relaxed atmosphere anyways (read: sit outside and chill with some drinks listening to music) but for allegedly being "fratty" I was surprised that there was really only 2 main bar scenes, and really only the one that seemed to openly welcome students.

Then again maybe my few days in Charlottesville doesn't qualify me to have an opinion on any of this yet.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 am

Br3v wrote:When I visited the Krogers had a really good craft selection (for a grocery store)

The cabs weren't that cheap though, but maybe because that's because I am cheap.

Also, and I like it better this way because I am looking for a more relaxed atmosphere anyways (read: sit outside and chill with some drinks listening to music) but for allegedly being "fratty" I was surprised that there was really only 2 main bar scenes, and really only the one that seemed to openly welcome students.

Then again maybe my few days in Charlottesville doesn't qualify me to have an opinion on any of this yet.

You're on Arlington, right? If you have a porch, I'll come bring a six pack and we can chill.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:29 am

bww in barracks was my study hall for one full year in undergrad. just outed self, if any of you are employees there. stayed there til close multiple times. would have no problems taking my hypothetical child with me there late into any night. not winning any hypothetical parenting awards, but whatever it's safe

growler fills can be had at fry's spring station or mellow mushroom last i heard, whole foods, and even at the everyday shop on 240 rolkin road (pantops area). link to that last one: http://growler-station.com/everydaycafe3543/

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 am

Related Q to the shootings: My mother lives there and was telling me about how the opposite side of campus is "dangerous"; a lot of reported rapes and general crimes. Is it actually that bad (& if it is, where? where should I be avoiding?) or is it just over-protective parent-ness?

WalnutSurprise

Postby WalnutSurprise » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 am

polkij333 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Beer is the answer.

Just avoid beer run. It sounds like a good place, and i'm generally all about over paying for booze, but been run crosses the line

0Ls, disregard this post. I know from plenty of experience that polkij is full of shit here. Beer Run's drafts are standard prices and they also lets you make your own six pack, which is a pretty sweet deal

North

Postby North » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:34 am

Are the local brews easy to come by? Some of the stuff at open house was legit.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 am

Speaking of alcohol, not that this is a big deal, but it sort of threw me when I found out: the VA ABC stores ONLY sell Virginia wines. And apparently Virginia doesn't allow private package stores. So if you want a specific brand of wine that isn't from Virginia you have to hope that one of the grocery stores carries it. If not you're out of luck.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

Local brews are fairly easy to come by. Heck, even the Walmart sells Devils Backbone, Starr Hill, and other Virginia craft brews. I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of beer at the majority of the grocery stores, but then I'm from Minnesota and grocery stores cannot sell booze there.

Also, as a previous poster stated, you can always grab a growler at one of the local breweries and have it filled on the cheap. I'm a BIG fan of the Blue Mountain Brewery, but Starr Hill is great too. Oh, and before I forget, Legend out of Richmond has some good stuff too. As I'm currently not in Charlottesville, I really miss the beer.

On the wine front, the grocery stores here actually have a pretty good selection. If there is a particular vintage you like you can talk to the employee in charge of procurment at the store and they'll order something particular for you if you want it. This has been offered to me before, but I've never actually done it personally, so I can't guarantee 100% success here.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am

Ixiion wrote:Related Q to the shootings: My mother lives there and was telling me about how the opposite side of campus grounds is "dangerous"; a lot of reported rapes and general crimes. Is it actually that bad (& if it is, where? where should I be avoiding?) or is it just over-protective parent-ness?
It seems like every couple weeks or so we get a message from the police that there's been some sort of attempted sexual assault (and occasionally just a regular assault) in the area on either side of Main (which is the same street as both University and Ivy, FYI) between The Corner and the Amtrak station. The victims are almost always co-eds walking home alone well after midnight, who are accosted by some dude who jumps out of the bushes or runs up behind them. In most of the reports, yelling and fighting back have been enough the dissuade the perpetrator, although there was a report of actual rape a month or two ago.

I doubt that a law student would have much reason to be walking in one of these neighborhoods in the wee hours of the morning, but if you're going to do so, take a friend.

2LatUVA

Postby 2LatUVA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 am

I'm about to head into OGI in the next couple weeks and am looking for advice on transactional work vs litigation work

In my head, I would like to be a litigator. At my 1L SA, I enjoy drafting the motions, writing research memos, meeting with clients, and attending depositions. I like drafting contracts, navigating tricky T&E issues, and responding to patent office actions less.

However, during oral arguments 1L, I got really nervous and kind of bombed. At my 1L SA, I was nervous again, but less so, and feel like I did a good job. I've confidently and competently given public speeches before, but the novelty, stakes, and being unused to interruptions threw me off these past few times.

Thrust of the question: will I be able to have a successful career at a shop like Kirkland & Ellis or QE if I am not very aggressive and at best lukewarm to public speaking? Or should I stay away from lit

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 am

You will not speak in open court for at least a few years (at best), and at any rate, 95% of litigation work is writing. So long as you feel that you could get comfortable speaking in court with experience (i.e., you don't have some kind of crippling anxiety disorder or something along those lines) then I wouldn't worry about it.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am

WalnutSurprise wrote:0Ls, disregard this post. I know from plenty of experience that polkij is full of shit here. Beer Run's drafts are standard prices and they also lets you make your own six pack, which is a pretty sweet deal

polkij's right in that they do charge a noticeable premium. if what you want is at teeter, it'll be cheaper there. if what you want is to look at a shitton of beers, you pay the shitton of beer tax at either beer run or wine warehouse. ymmv

Ixiion wrote:Related Q to the shootings: My mother lives there and was telling me about how the opposite side of campus is "dangerous"; a lot of reported rapes and general crimes. Is it actually that bad (& if it is, where? where should I be avoiding?) or is it just over-protective parent-ness?

heh. over protective parent ness.

she could be talking about a few different neighborhoods. most likely based on how she worded it are those on the "wrong side of the tracks" e.g. the fifeville neighborhood along cherry avenue. i live there and one of my intended roommates had to cancel his lease when his mom found out where it was. there is basically one street in fifeville that she's right and you should stay away from these days (prospect avenue). the rest of fifeville is gentrifying somewhat quickly. i feel safe living there and stumble home from bars more often than i grab a cab.

or she could be talking about 10th and page. there were some isolated gang busts in that area a few years ago and uva folks lost their shit. but like fifeville, you're never gonna have any reason to be there..and it's not terribly close to the school, just to the wertland block party / undergrad housing off university avenue.

more importantly for your purposes, i'm pretty confident that you have "more crime" to worry about when you go to the corner or date a men's lacrosse player (rip yeardley) than you do anywhere near-ish grounds except prospect avenue after midnight.

by the way, the emails we get from the university police chief...most of them occur where undergrads live (rugby, 14th, corner, brandon...and one indecent exposure in clemons library) not in the midtown area described above. obviously there is some crime in midtown, but to me you're more likely to be the victim of a crime around the corner or grounds..and everyone feels safe there except theresa sullivan..so being leery of midtown at night just seems silly to me.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am

PS-I also bombed my 1L oral args, mostly because I (like everyone else) realized that they didn't matter and that I had more important things to work on.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”