UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

envisciguy wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:On an entirely different note, when in the semester should we start wondering about what to take second semester (when is registration for the Spring?). I think I'm barred from taking corporate finance/accounting because of my undergrad degree.

October or November I think? And getting your courses is lottery based, unlike some undergrad course signups. So don't worry at all about the classes - there's no time crunch.
My undergrad WAS lottery based...I unfortunately always seemed to draw bad luck.

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey current students,

For the pre-entrance health form you filled out before your 1L, did you simply photocopy your insurance card or did you give a photocopy with some type of other health insurance card information? If the latter, what kind of "information" did you provide? Thanks :D

North

Postby North » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 am

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to establish VA residency during 1L, and then cop dat in-state tuition 2L and 3L?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 am

North wrote:I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to establish VA residency during 1L, and then cop dat in-state tuition 2L and 3L?

almost assuredly no

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 am

5ky wrote:
North wrote:I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to establish VA residency during 1L, and then cop dat in-state tuition 2L and 3L?

almost assuredly no

I have heard apocryphally that some folks with working spouses have been able to do it, but otherwise, no.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
5ky wrote:

almost assuredly no

I have heard apocryphally that some folks with working spouses have been able to do it, but otherwise, no.

yeah if you're married to a resident of va, it is possible i believe. i am not sure how it works if your spouse is not working.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 am

5ky wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
5ky wrote:

almost assuredly no

yeah if you're married to a resident of va, it is possible i believe. i am not sure how it works if your spouse is not working.
It doesn't. That much I can attest personally.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:54 am

Geis or Kordana for Corporations? Any insight on differences between professors?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Geis or Kordana for Corporations? Any insight on differences between professors?
I don't think you can go wrong there. I don't think Geis has taught Corporations before (at UVa, at least), but he was great as a Contracts professor: clear, entertaining, fair exam, etc. Kordana teaches a pretty straightforward Corporations class and has a fair exam as well. With Geis, you get stories about his crazy mother-in-law. With Kordana, it feels like you're being taught by an NYC cabbie who talks this friggin' way because screw you, that's why.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:35 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Geis or Kordana for Corporations? Any insight on differences between professors?
I don't think you can go wrong there. I don't think Geis has taught Corporations before (at UVa, at least), but he was great as a Contracts professor: clear, entertaining, fair exam, etc. Kordana teaches a pretty straightforward Corporations class and has a fair exam as well. With Geis, you get stories about his crazy mother-in-law. With Kordana, it feels like you're being taught by an NYC cabbie who talks this friggin' way because screw you, that's why.

I think Geis has taught Corporations a few times at UVA. Isn't Kordana the one with the completely random grading (even moreso than usual)? I have heard a few less than pleasant stories about one corporations professor, and I think that was him

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 am

5ky wrote:I think Geis has taught Corporations a few times at UVA. Isn't Kordana the one with the completely random grading (even moreso than usual)? I have heard a few less than pleasant stories about one corporations professor, and I think that was him

hmmm i thought this was kitch. if i'm wrong please advise before...whenever this matters

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 am

Everything I've heard about Geis as a teacher has been positive. I've heard positive things about Kordana's teaching, but I've heard conflicting opinions on his exams. Kitch is on a completely different level from both of them. I haven't heard many good things about him as a teacher, though he reportedly is quite the scholar in the area of intellectual property.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 am

Legislation with Gilbert for 2l fall... thoughts?

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 am

I'd like to get negotiation institute, pretrial litigation, and trial ad next semester. Rising 2l. Bad idea? Are any of these challenging to get into?

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am

Also-- would people recommend advanced lrw?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 am

chem wrote:I'd like to get negotiation institute, pretrial litigation, and trial ad next semester. Rising 2l. Bad idea? Are any of these challenging to get into?

Trial Ad's difficulty/amount of work will depend on the prof, but that's usually a good 2L class to take, along with other once per week classes (like Hallmarks of Oral Advocacy). Negotiation Institute is hard to get into as a 2L, from what I understand. It's an easy credit though as long as you show up those 2 days (you're giving up 2 Saturday's in the semester though, so that's something to consider).

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 am

Kitch is supposed to be terrible. Read some of his course evals.

Negotiation Institute will be almost impossible to get as a 2L. Think there were maybe about 4-5 in a class of 120. You do have to be there for 2 Saturdays, as desertlaw notes, which sucks. However, you only have to be there physically, and not mentally. Just stream college football the whole time, the guy they bring in to teach it openly says you don't have to pay attention. Most people take him up on this.

North

Postby North » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am

jediknight2424 wrote:Also-- would people recommend advanced lrw?

Also interested in this despite being nowhere close to taking it. Seems like a bonafide skill course that would come in handy post LS, wondering if that's right.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I'd recommend advanced LRW if you plan to do any litigation assignments as an SA. I took it as a 3L and wish I'd have taken it as a 2L. But you might be better off waiting under spring semester because there are usually weekly, time-consuming research assignments that you might have trouble keeping up with if your callbacks linger deep into September.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

0L here. Just moved to C-ville because my lease started early. Any other law students in town for the summer? PM me if you'd like to get together for a drink or something 8)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Question: Best bar within walking distance of the Jeffersonian? Corner is a bit too far for drunken stumbles home.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Question: Best bar within walking distance of the Jeffersonian? Corner is a bit too far for drunken stumbles home.

Just chance it at Buffalo Wild Wings. Few shootings there this past year, good times. Cab might be your best bet

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 pm

5ky wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Question: Best bar within walking distance of the Jeffersonian? Corner is a bit too far for drunken stumbles home.

Just chance it at Buffalo Wild Wings. Few shootings there this past year, good times. Cab might be your best bet

Sad. Still, location can't be beat, I suppose.

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 pm

You can walk to ABC and drink at home. Thats what the popular kids do. Thats what I do

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Related question: Does that grocery store at the shopping center have a decent beer selection? If not, where can I grab some good craft beers?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”