UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tom Joad

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 pm

5ky wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Can somebody post the link the the 2012 OGI thread if they know how to find it? I have seen it before, but I can't find it now.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=186875

I suppose it's about the time to start the 2013 version. Best to not have it clutter up this thread.

Thank you good sir. Let the non-hypothetical 1L gpa studying begin.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 pm

olive16 wrote:Hey guys, I did a forum search but didn't find much. What's the cutoff for VLR and when do invites go out? From what I've found, seems to range from 3.71-3.75, but I can't find anything more specific than "early to mid July."

Early to mid July is about as specific as you'll get, I think

syd625

Postby syd625 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I have a question about parking and could only find info from a couple of years ago. I'm considering an apartment that's ten minutes away but have no idea clue about parking beyond it's difficult. Do 1Ls generally have to park at U-Hall/arena? Or are there generally spaces in the blue lot by the Park area? (I'm also considering an apartment on Arlington but it's a bit dingy.). Thanks!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:46 pm

syd625 wrote:I have a question about parking and could only find info from a couple of years ago. I'm considering an apartment that's ten minutes away but have no idea clue about parking beyond it's difficult. Do 1Ls generally have to park at U-Hall/arena? Or are there generally spaces in the blue lot by the Park area? (I'm also considering an apartment on Arlington but it's a bit dingy.). Thanks!

I have never had to park by U-Hall and I only had a blue permit. Occasionally there will be some kind of event where it is mostly full, but you can always park somewhere you aren't supposed to be and risk the ticket (first one is forgiven). You will be fine.

But if it is a 10 minute walk, you might as well walk since the blue lot is probably a 10 minute walk to the classroom.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm

syd625 wrote:I have a question about parking and could only find info from a couple of years ago. I'm considering an apartment that's ten minutes away but have no idea clue about parking beyond it's difficult. Do 1Ls generally have to park at U-Hall/arena? Or are there generally spaces in the blue lot by the Park area? (I'm also considering an apartment on Arlington but it's a bit dingy.). Thanks!
You can get a permit for the D3 lot in front of the JAG School. I don't know that there are more applicants than spots, but in any case priority is given to people who live some distance from the Law School. If there are no spaces in that lot on a given day, you can park in the blue lot with any UVa parking pass.

Also, great avatar. We'll get 'em next year, right?

syd625

Postby syd625 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

bgdddymtty wrote:You can get a permit for the D3 lot in front of the JAG School. I don't know that there are more applicants than spots, but in any case priority is given to people who live some distance from the Law School. If there are no spaces in that lot on a given day, you can park in the blue lot with any UVa parking pass.

Also, great avatar. We'll get 'em next year, right?

Thanks to you and Tom Joad!

I'm a Philly girl, so this season was really painful. The Kings are my favorite Western conf. team though and seeing Gagne win the Cup last season was amazing.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
You can get a permit for the D3 lot in front of the JAG School. I don't know that there are more applicants than spots, but in any case priority is given to people who live some distance from the Law School. If there are no spaces in that lot on a given day, you can park in the blue lot with any UVa parking pass.

There is a lottery for the D3 spots that is only open to 2Ls and 3Ls in the first round, then, if there are extra spots (which there have been for the last three years) they open it to 1Ls. So some 1Ls probably won't get a D3 parking permit. They cost more (somewhere around $400 for the year, but my memory is foggy).

If you can't get a D3 sticker, you can always get a blue lot sticker and park by the intramural fields. The blue lot is only like a 3 minute longer walk than the D3 lot, and there are (virtually) always spaces. You will not need to park at U-Hall.

Edited to add that the first parking ticket each year is free, but NOT if you park in the metered spaces behind the school. Those cost $40 and aren't forgiven. The metered spots are something like $1.50 for two hours, and you have to feed the meter every two hours.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm getting ready to accept my loans. For the first semester, should I just take the full amount for books and living expenses? I though I'd gauge my costs and then if I have some left over, I'd use that money to pay down my loans and adjust my disbursements for the next semester. Good plan?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm

RSterling wrote:I'm getting ready to accept my loans. For the first semester, should I just take the full amount for books and living expenses? I though I'd gauge my costs and then if I have some left over, I'd use that money to pay down my loans and adjust my disbursements for the next semester. Good plan?
The only reasons you wouldn't take the full amount are 1) you're an undisciplined spender, and 2) you're worried about the amount that will accrue in interest. If your concern is #2, the amount of extra interest that will accrue by having the money a few weeks/months before you need it is pretty much a drop in the bucket as compared to the entire cost of your education, and the flexibility of having extra cash on hand is quite valuable. You can also accept only some of the money up front and then have Financial Aid disburse the rest of the money as you need it, but it's kind of a pain in the neck.

One other thing: summer. There's a very good chance you won't make much money over your 1L summer, so you'll want to sock away extra cash for those living expenses if you can.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
RSterling wrote:I'm getting ready to accept my loans. For the first semester, should I just take the full amount for books and living expenses? I though I'd gauge my costs and then if I have some left over, I'd use that money to pay down my loans and adjust my disbursements for the next semester. Good plan?
The only reasons you wouldn't take the full amount are 1) you're an undisciplined spender, and 2) you're worried about the amount that will accrue in interest. If your concern is #2, the amount of extra interest that will accrue by having the money a few weeks/months before you need it is pretty much a drop in the bucket as compared to the entire cost of your education, and the flexibility of having extra cash on hand is quite valuable. You can also accept only some of the money up front and then have Financial Aid disburse the rest of the money as you need it, but it's kind of a pain in the neck.

One other thing: summer. There's a very good chance you won't make much money over your 1L summer, so you'll want to sock away extra cash for those living expenses if you can.

Also you have 120 days to give back the money without accruing any interest. So you could take the full amount, then around December if you realize you have way too much extra money you could always give it back.**

**All this assuming I understood the financial aid lecture at ASW correctly.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Br3v wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Also you have 120 days to give back the money without accruing any interest. So you could take the full amount, then around December if you realize you have way too much extra money you could always give it back.**

Great advice. My concern is definitely #2. I'll be jumping back on my parents' insurance for the time being, so the only portion I won't accept is the money for health insurance. Thanks!

And can someone confirm the 120 days thing? That sounds like a really nice cushion.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:33 pm

RSterling wrote:
Br3v wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Great advice. My concern is definitely #2. I'll be jumping back on my parents' insurance for the time being, so the only portion I won't accept is the money for health insurance. Thanks!

And can someone confirm the 120 days thing? That sounds like a really nice cushion.

Pretty sure I read it in print on the fin aid section of the website where you accept loans. I'm on my phone but maybe you could find it there.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:33 pm

RSterling wrote:
Br3v wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

I'm not 100% on the number of days (although 120 sounds right), but there is a give-back grace period. I had forgotten about that.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 am

The only mention I can find on UVa's web site about order of the coif is that transfer students aren't eligible and that lots of faculty are order of the coif. Am I missing something, or does the school just never bother to explain what order of the coif is and how one qualifies?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 am

StanleyF wrote:The only mention I can find on UVa's web site about order of the coif is that transfer students aren't eligible and that lots of faculty are order of the coif. Am I missing something, or does the school just never bother to explain what order of the coif is and how one qualifies?

They probably don't list it because it's not a UVA-specific thing. It's top ten percent at graduation, wherever a chapter is.

http://www.orderofthecoif.org/COIF-const.htm, Article V.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:They probably don't list it because it's not a UVA-specific thing. It's top ten percent at graduation, wherever a chapter is.

But since schools have discretion and can set additional criteria, it seems like UVa might explain how it chooses. Other schools do this. See, e.g., http://www.law.berkeley.edu/190.htm

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Berkeley has discretion to do so because they have pass/no pass. I can't imagine there's really any discretion for schools that publish GPAs. What sort of criteria could UVA possibly set of than just the top ten percent?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:35 pm

StanleyF wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:They probably don't list it because it's not a UVA-specific thing. It's top ten percent at graduation, wherever a chapter is.

But since schools have discretion and can set additional criteria, it seems like UVa might explain how it chooses. Other schools do this. See, e.g., http://www.law.berkeley.edu/190.htm

No, it's simply top 10% at UVA, nothing else

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm

If anyone here has an opinion on this, I'd really love the advice! Thanks in advance :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=211114

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Mack12 wrote:If anyone here has an opinion on this, I'd really love the advice! Thanks in advance :D

literally no difference in terms of law school. just pick which one you want more

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm

5ky wrote:
Mack12 wrote:If anyone here has an opinion on this, I'd really love the advice! Thanks in advance :D

literally no difference in terms of law school. just pick which one you want more

awesome, thanks!

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Mack12 wrote:
5ky wrote:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=211114

Former Best Buy employee and current iOS developer here: get one of the newly announced Airs and then buy an external HDD or cloud drive. You'll be set.

(There is definitely no difference for law school, though. I just think the Air would be more convenient, especially with dat battery life - http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/)

danitt

Postby danitt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:37 pm

I've noticed the orientation documentation specifies that paying the health fee listed in the COA is not tantamount to enrolling in the health plan. How do you enroll then?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

danitt wrote:I've noticed the orientation documentation specifies that paying the health fee listed in the COA is not tantamount to enrolling in the health plan. How do you enroll then?
http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance.html

danitt

Postby danitt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:05 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
danitt wrote:I've noticed the orientation documentation specifies that paying the health fee listed in the COA is not tantamount to enrolling in the health plan. How do you enroll then?
http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance.html

Thank you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”