UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
TrialLawyer16
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:3.3 isn't the 50th percentile. It's the median, which is roughly 2/3 of any 1 class. The 50th percentile is a little higher, and 3.48 is top 25% so a huge amount of people fall b/w a 3.2 and 3.5. I'm just curious on the finer distinctions between that 3.5 and 3.7.

You do understand that you just said that the 50th percentile is higher than 2/3 (66.7th percentile) of the class, right?

well the difference between an A- and a B+ is bigger than a B and a B+ by .1 so overall, the average gpa is higher than a 3.3. There are virtually no C+'s and A+'s to even it out (1-2 a whole term?), but there are plenty of B's and plenty of A-'s.

Ok, so you meant to say "mean" (average), not "median".

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:General test books won't help. I didn't know what IRAC was until November, and practically got laughed out of the room, only to do better than like 90% of the people laughing at me.


You must be a lot of fun at parties.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 am

thesealocust wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:General test books won't help. I didn't know what IRAC was until November, and practically got laughed out of the room, only to do better than like 90% of the people laughing at me.


You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I try to add humor to everything to keep things upbeat, but I don't believe in parties until I get a job. I'm just a guy in six figure in debt until then. Ain't got shit to party about until I get that money.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:General test books won't help. I didn't know what IRAC was until November, and practically got laughed out of the room, only to do better than like 90% of the people laughing at me.


You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I try to add humor to everything to keep things upbeat, but I don't believe in parties until I get a job. I'm just a guy in six figure in debt until then. Ain't got shit to party about until I get that money.


In case you missed the point of thesealocust's post, it wasn't actually about parties...

blahblewblah
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby blahblewblah » Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:General test books won't help.


The one piece of advice regarding law school is to avoid people to speak in absolutes. There are many ways to be successful in law school, and I personally found LEEWS and Getting to Maybe VERY useful. Does everyone need to read them to be successful? Absolutely not. But they certainly CAN help.

You will figure out what works for you. Listen to what other people say, but don't take anything as gospel. Adapt what you get from other people to determine your own routine that you can be successful with.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 31, 2013 11:36 am

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not trying to gun, I'm just trying to have things to think about.

What Spring electives would help me avoid LR folks/which ones might have an easier curve? I'm presuming this means getting into something with as many stopped-caring 2Ls and 3Ls as possible.

A bunch of people seem to be adamantly against taking Admin Law, but is there anything that might fit the above criteria that I might find interesting? (I'm a poli sci and history nerd.) Seems like I'm less likely to hate the spring workload if I could find a couple I actually liked.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:What Spring electives would help me avoid LR folks/which ones might have an easier curve? I'm presuming this means getting into something with as many stopped-caring 2Ls and 3Ls as possible.

A bunch of people seem to be adamantly against taking Admin Law, but is there anything that might fit the above criteria that I might find interesting?


Con Law is a prerequisite for Admin, so you can't take it as a 1L. I would keep it simple: Evidence for 4 credits and Professional Responsibility for 2 credits. Evidence is interesting and straightforward, and PR is required for graduation (and easy), so you might as well get it out of the way.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6400
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 pm

StanleyF wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:What Spring electives would help me avoid LR folks/which ones might have an easier curve? I'm presuming this means getting into something with as many stopped-caring 2Ls and 3Ls as possible.

A bunch of people seem to be adamantly against taking Admin Law, but is there anything that might fit the above criteria that I might find interesting?


Con Law is a prerequisite for Admin, so you can't take it as a 1L. I would keep it simple: Evidence for 4 credits and Professional Responsibility for 2 credits. Evidence is interesting and straightforward, and PR is required for graduation (and easy), so you might as well get it out of the way.


Counterpoint: if you're K-JD and are sure you want to do corporate, I think you should take corporations or the accounting/corporate finance course in spring of 1L. People say stuff like that doesn't matter, but I think it's a bit helpful.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby danitt » Fri May 31, 2013 1:52 pm

5ky wrote:
StanleyF wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:What Spring electives would help me avoid LR folks/which ones might have an easier curve? I'm presuming this means getting into something with as many stopped-caring 2Ls and 3Ls as possible.

A bunch of people seem to be adamantly against taking Admin Law, but is there anything that might fit the above criteria that I might find interesting?


Con Law is a prerequisite for Admin, so you can't take it as a 1L. I would keep it simple: Evidence for 4 credits and Professional Responsibility for 2 credits. Evidence is interesting and straightforward, and PR is required for graduation (and easy), so you might as well get it out of the way.


Counterpoint: if you're K-JD and are sure you want to do corporate, I think you should take corporations or the accounting/corporate finance course in spring of 1L. People say stuff like that doesn't matter, but I think it's a bit helpful.

This would where the whole "Law and Business" concentration comes in?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6400
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 pm

danitt wrote:
5ky wrote:
StanleyF wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:What Spring electives would help me avoid LR folks/which ones might have an easier curve? I'm presuming this means getting into something with as many stopped-caring 2Ls and 3Ls as possible.

A bunch of people seem to be adamantly against taking Admin Law, but is there anything that might fit the above criteria that I might find interesting?


Con Law is a prerequisite for Admin, so you can't take it as a 1L. I would keep it simple: Evidence for 4 credits and Professional Responsibility for 2 credits. Evidence is interesting and straightforward, and PR is required for graduation (and easy), so you might as well get it out of the way.


Counterpoint: if you're K-JD and are sure you want to do corporate, I think you should take corporations or the accounting/corporate finance course in spring of 1L. People say stuff like that doesn't matter, but I think it's a bit helpful.

This would where the whole "Law and Business" concentration comes in?


It's easiest to forget that Law and Business is a thing. It's not a thing. The only thing you have to know is that you can't take a course with "Law and Business" in the title unless you take accounting first (or took it in undergrad). There are no classes exclusively "Law and Business," i.e. there are sections of Bankruptcy Law and Business and just regular Bankruptcy. There is literally no difference.

User avatar
Hspeaksfriend
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Can any current students shed some light on the computer law bundles? It says they are highly recommended because of support/the ability to get a loaner laptop if yours needs fixing. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's really worth it or not.

Legen..waitforit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Legen..waitforit » Fri May 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Question: I have private health insurance through Kaiser (in CA) but it doesn't cover prescriptions and is pretty much the cheapest insurance option one can buy. For the UVA pre-health requirements, do any of you know if something like my insurance plan qualifies under the "health insurance requirement"? Do I just photocopy my card and send it in with the immunization record? How strict are they with making sure you have some kind of 'right' insurance? Thanks

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Can any current students shed some light on the computer law bundles? It says they are highly recommended because of support/the ability to get a loaner laptop if yours needs fixing. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's really worth it or not.

did it for undergrad; was convenient, especially because i started out without a car or any familiarity with uva. chose not to do it for law school though. you can buy a good netbook for emergency use with the money left over from getting a non-bundled computer. i think i spent that on bourbon instead, but it was an option (that i saw others employ)

re: health insurance q--i thiiink health insurance is a binary question for domestic students and only international students have to prove their insurance is 'good enough,' but i don't remember where i heard this

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm poor and will have to buy a laptop when loan $ comes in. Does this seem like a problem at all? The only problem I see is that it says on the law school computer site that it takes like 4 weeks to get one of the bundles so my plan was to just go to Best Buy or something. Is that one time school computer loan thing available before classes start and/or when regular loans come in (which my notes tell me 10 days prior to class start)?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 31, 2013 6:48 pm

Br3v wrote:I'm poor and will have to buy a laptop when loan $ comes in. Does this seem like a problem at all? The only problem I see is that it says on the law school computer site that it takes like 4 weeks to get one of the bundles so my plan was to just go to Best Buy or something. Is that one time school computer loan thing available before classes start and/or when regular loans come in (which my notes tell me 10 days prior to class start)?

newegg man. Shit, I can help you find a decent one for cheap.

Edit: These bundles are huge fucking ripoffs. They're marked up like crazy.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 pm

k
Last edited by bananapeanutbutter on Fri May 31, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6400
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Can't you just check SIS bro

I had a class with him, we got our grade on the last possible day

readyforUVA
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby readyforUVA » Fri May 31, 2013 11:00 pm

I know these questions are probably a little premature, but I figured I would ask them now before I forget when the time comes.

1) Law review - I keep hearing that burn out for that weekend is crazy high but are we talking that in a class of 350 - 360 - 80% initially come to bat and only 50% or less finish or are we saying that 80% try and only 70 % give their best effort.

2) 1L summer - what is the most rewarding experience to do ? I'm not necessarily looking for prestige or any of that noise but something that teaches you something about the law that can be applied or at least talked about in fall recruiting.
Last edited by readyforUVA on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 pm

Trying to rank 1L summer experiences is sort of like trying to rank coffee tables. It's not that you can't do it, it's just that it's kind of silly. They vary immensely and are mostly mediocre. Try to do something that will be informative to your own pursuits, and try to get paid?

As to law review and the right on competition, don't even worry about it. Most people do it and put in a decent effort, there are probably spots for 70-80% of the UVA class on journals of one kind or another. But journal work is awful and pointless and if anything just prepares you for tedium and randomly difficult assignments prior to becoming an associate :D

Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.

Somebody needs to start the 2013 OGI thread...

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:04 am

thesealocust wrote:Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.


Getting it all in now before it becomes anathema to seem like I care about any part of the process :D

Given that it's a day commitment to travel anywhere from UVA, is it common practice to schedule callbacks from the same city on the same day? E.g. do students take a "DC day" or a "New York day" so as to minimize missed class time?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.


Getting it all in now before it becomes anathema to seem like I care about any part of the process :D

Given that it's a day commitment to travel anywhere from UVA, is it common practice to schedule callbacks from the same city on the same day? E.g. do students take a "DC day" or a "New York day" so as to minimize missed class time?


A callback takes at least half a day. You can schedule two in a day, but it's exhausting and you run a real risk of having to leave the first interview early or be late to the second. You also get callback invitations randomly and firms have random availability to schedule the callbacks themselves, so it's not always realistic to even schedule your callbacks in city X on back to back days.

Nobody comes to law school for the purpose of attending their classes first semester of 2L year, they do so to get a job - missing class is just a cost of doing business.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.


Getting it all in now before it becomes anathema to seem like I care about any part of the process :D

Given that it's a day commitment to travel anywhere from UVA, is it common practice to schedule callbacks from the same city on the same day? E.g. do students take a "DC day" or a "New York day" so as to minimize missed class time?

LOL. The whole point of trying hard in law school is to get good grades. The whole point of good grades is to get a good job. You do what the firm you want to work at asks you to do. Otherwise, it's like taking viagra to take a vow of celibacy.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6400
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:23 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Also, I'm enjoying the rising 1Ls and former 1Ls competing for most overly neurotic ITT right now.


Getting it all in now before it becomes anathema to seem like I care about any part of the process :D

Given that it's a day commitment to travel anywhere from UVA, is it common practice to schedule callbacks from the same city on the same day? E.g. do students take a "DC day" or a "New York day" so as to minimize missed class time?

LOL. The whole point of trying hard in law school is to get good grades. The whole point of good grades is to get a good job. You do what the firm you want to work at asks you to do. Otherwise, it's like taking viagra to take a vow of celibacy.


Chill, baby bird. Firms ask you when YOU want to schedule the callback, though I did have one with a smaller boutique firm that scheduled my cb with them specifically on the same day as another, ostensibly so they could split travel/hotel costs with the other firm.

I tried whenever possible to schedule my callbacks as close together as I could. I ended up having 2 or 3 in a week on back to back days for a few weeks in August and September.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Forgive me for a question that is particularly specific to my situation, but regarding OGI: I'm K-JD and a relatively young one at that (I don't turn 21 for a couple more months), so my resume isn't super-deep. Everything it does have is DC--pretty much every activity is DC-specific, and all my professional contacts are there as well.

After the cutoff for DC (top third-ish?), people seem to recommend going back to a midsize market where you have ties, but I don't really have any other ties, and no sector I've ever worked in really operates outside of DC. My resume is pretty much tailor-made to work in DC Biglaw if I have the grades. If.

So my question is, if I whiff on top third or whatever the DC grade cutoff is, how screwed would I be? Is there any way I could make it work with midsize city interviewers as a babyfaced K-JD with no practical experience in their fields and markets?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest