UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 am

nacho cheese wrote:
BigLawer wrote:Has anyone on here taken Stephan for property? Just finished his final. Feel like it was fair... but no idea what he was looking for. Seemed like one big issue spotter. Curious if anyone knows anything about his grading/what he looks for... then again, I dont see how this is even an answerable question.

I typed a shitton, which may be good for some professors, but not others. Know now that I missed a couple issues, but I guess who doesnt miss at least a couple.

lol 1Ls

I dont get it. But I guess thats cause I am a 1L as well?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
nacho cheese wrote:
BigLawer wrote:Has anyone on here taken Stephan for property? Just finished his final. Feel like it was fair... but no idea what he was looking for. Seemed like one big issue spotter. Curious if anyone knows anything about his grading/what he looks for... then again, I dont see how this is even an answerable question.

I typed a shitton, which may be good for some professors, but not others. Know now that I missed a couple issues, but I guess who doesnt miss at least a couple.

lol 1Ls

I dont get it. But I guess thats cause I am a 1L as well?

Pretty much.

Pro tip: your professors are looking for good legal analysis. The question could literally be "tell me how you feel about law" and you would get points for displaying good legal analysis and not-points for not-doing so.

Unless it's multiple choice, all law school exams are looking for the exact same thing.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 am

Br3v wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Shadow and br3v... I think this has all the information you need.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm

So if I, a student, use my car to drive to school and random errands, then I do not have to register my car in Virginia/get Va plates? But I have to pay some sort of property tax on the car even though my parents own it?

The DL part is still vague too.

What did you fellow out of staters do?

Don't register your car in Virginia if your parents own it. As far as anyone is concerned you are borrowing it from your parents temporarily. It's their car. You pay no taxes on it. Win.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 am

After taking 17 law school exams, I have found my response is exactly the same after every single one: I wake up in the middle of the night realizing that I missed Issue X, or forgot to answer part of the question, or something. I can tell you with certainty that there is zero correlation between my post-exam anxiety and the final grade; no matter how well or poorly I did, I always have the same anxiety. The best way to cope with this, I think, is to realize (1) post-exam stress is a normal response to a high-stakes exam, and (2) there is nothing you can do about the exam now, so let it go and move on to the next one.

Trying to handicap how you did on the exam after you have taken it is only going to stress you out and waste your time. Don't bother counting pages, or re-reading the exam, or comparing your answer with others. There will be plenty of time to do all that after you know the grade.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 pm

StanleyF wrote:

After taking 17 law school exams, I have found my response is exactly the same after every single one: I wake up in the middle of the night realizing that I missed Issue X, or forgot to answer part of the question, or something. I can tell you with certainty that there is zero correlation between my post-exam anxiety and the final grade; no matter how well or poorly I did, I always have the same anxiety. The best way to cope with this, I think, is to realize (1) post-exam stress is a normal response to a high-stakes exam, and (2) there is nothing you can do about the exam now, so let it go and move on to the next one.

Trying to handicap how you did on the exam after you have taken it is only going to stress you out and waste your time. Don't bother counting pages, or re-reading the exam, or comparing your answer with others. There will be plenty of time to do all that after you know the grade.

Stanley - why are you still stressing about your exams? But yes, you are correct in that most post-finals anxiety means nothing. If, however, you are certain you bombed an exam because you walked out 30 minutes early since the fact pattern was too confusing, then you're probably right (thanks Nachbar!).

chem

Postby chem » Wed May 01, 2013 12:13 pm

desertlaw wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

Stanley - why are you still stressing about your exams? But yes, you are correct in that most post-finals anxiety means nothing. If, however, you are certain you bombed an exam because you walked out 30 minutes early since the fact pattern was too confusing, then you're probably right (thanks Nachbar!).

Fantastic. Nachbar exam monday

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm

desertlaw wrote:Stanley - why are you still stressing about your exams? But yes, you are correct in that most post-finals anxiety means nothing. If, however, you are certain you bombed an exam because you walked out 30 minutes early since the fact pattern was too confusing, then you're probably right (thanks Nachbar!).

I just can't help it. I've tried to be one of those people who doesn't worry about exams, but I just can't do it. Must be that I was raised in the wild by a pack of gunners.

Nachbar was one of those exams that I was certain I bombed when I left, woke up in a cold sweat for days afterward thinking about it, and then got one of my best law school grades. Like I said, no correlation between stress and result.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed May 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Any 2Ls or 3Ls have any advice for Cannon's Environmental Law final? I'm taking the exam Friday and the style of his old exam questions are really making me worried.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu May 02, 2013 8:01 am

envisciguy wrote:Any 2Ls or 3Ls have any advice for Cannon's Environmental Law final? I'm taking the exam Friday and the style of his old exam questions are really making me worried.

His exams are really difficult, IMO. They are not true issue spotters. It favors people who have a naturally high IQ (which there's just nothing you can do about that now). Seriously, knowing the material/law is just not enough to get above a B+. Knowing a lot of admin law will help. Having a background in biology/science also helps. Basically not much you can do right now about it other than just know the law cold and try and think how the concepts fit together (i.e. think about the policy implications of doing one thing or another thing/ implementing one law over another). Sorry I can't be more helpful, but truthfully there's not much you can do this late in the semester that will help you for his test.

Don't worry too much though because everyone is in the same boat. It's really difficult, but it's difficult for everyone.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 am

pjo wrote:
envisciguy wrote:Any 2Ls or 3Ls have any advice for Cannon's Environmental Law final? I'm taking the exam Friday and the style of his old exam questions are really making me worried.

His exams are really difficult, IMO. They are not true issue spotters. It favors people who have a naturally high IQ (which there's just nothing you can do about that now). Seriously, knowing the material/law is just not enough to get above a B+. Knowing a lot of admin law will help. Having a background in biology/science also helps. Basically not much you can do right now about it other than just know the law cold and try and think how the concepts fit together (i.e. think about the policy implications of doing one thing or another thing/ implementing one law over another). Sorry I can't be more helpful, but truthfully there's not much you can do this late in the semester that will help you for his test.

Don't worry too much though because everyone is in the same boat. It's really difficult, but it's difficult for everyone.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. That's pretty much how I was feeling about the exam, but it's good to hear the same from someone who's already taken it.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm

envisciguy wrote:
pjo wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. That's pretty much how I was feeling about the exam, but it's good to hear the same from someone who's already taken it.

Just to be clear, I didn't take this years exam, I'm speaking from previous classes. Don't want anyone to think I'm on here talking about a current exam.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm

I think Canon's old exams are fairly indicative of what to expect on the essays. The multiple choice was difficult; remember that because you have three sentences to explain each answer (which is a lot when you factor in semicolons, em dashes, and parentheses), if you're stuck between two choices, choose one and argue why another answer could be correct instead—that seemed to work for me.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 pm

pjo wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
pjo wrote:

Just to be clear, I didn't take this years exam, I'm speaking from previous classes. Don't want anyone to think I'm on here talking about a current exam.

Yeah, sorry pjo. I meant avoid that implication by asking for advice from 2Ls and 3Ls since they would've taken it prior years, but then realized that my class isn't all 1Ls. So I guess I should clarify too - I was asking about people who had taken old exams, since those are what I was studying.

And thanks Cavalier, those ways to extend a sentence are good ideas.

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 am

Some of ya'll were discussing classes you wished you'd taken at UVA looking back... what / who were your favorite classes / professors at UVA? I know I won't be able to pick any of my sections 1st semester of 1L in the fall, but I'm just curious which professors and classes students say they have liked the best so far :)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri May 03, 2013 12:33 pm

lookingin wrote:Some of ya'll were discussing classes you wished you'd taken at UVA looking back... what / who were your favorite classes / professors at UVA? I know I won't be able to pick any of my sections 1st semester of 1L in the fall, but I'm just curious which professors and classes students say they have liked the best so far :)

UVa really needs to implement a P/F option so that more students can take some of the "all-star" profs and not worry about competing with gunners and VLR people. I know that some schools let you take something like 6-12 credits of P/F. I avoided Fed Courts with Jeffries/Nelson because of this.

My favorite prof was probably Nachbar, despite his ridiculous exam. Laycock is great if you're interested in Religious Liberty issues. Jeffries in Crim Law was amazing, so I'm sure he's just as good in Fed Courts. Bowers and Coughlin are amazing from what I've heard, but I never had them. You'll find out more when you get to school; your peer advisors will tell you which profs to take and which to avoid.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm

lookingin wrote:Some of ya'll were discussing classes you wished you'd taken at UVA looking back... what / who were your favorite classes / professors at UVA? I know I won't be able to pick any of my sections 1st semester of 1L in the fall, but I'm just curious which professors and classes students say they have liked the best so far :)

One thing that I never did in law school was take or not take a course based on the other students in it. To me, there is just nothing to be gained by trying to guess how well others are going to do, the point is just to work as hard as you can to learn the material, so my first piece of advice would be to take classes you want because you want them. That said, for 1L spring, I would keep it very vanilla, taking Evidence and something else that's pretty black-letter.

Professors with whom I would take anything, in no particular order: Nachbar, Harmon, Coughlin, Mitchell, Schauer, Duffy, Jeffries.

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Awesome :) Thanks for the names! I was just wondering.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 pm

StanleyF wrote:

One thing that I never did in law school was take or not take a course based on the other students in it. To me, there is just nothing to be gained by trying to guess how well others are going to do, the point is just to work as hard as you can to learn the material, so my first piece of advice would be to take classes you want because you want them. That said, for 1L spring, I would keep it very vanilla, taking Evidence and something else that's pretty black-letter.

Professors with whom I would take anything, in no particular order: Nachbar, Harmon, Coughlin, Mitchell, Schauer, Duffy, Jeffries.

Of course, with professors now having the option to make the mean grade of a class = to the mean GPA of all of the students, I think that risk is somewhat lessened now.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Sat May 04, 2013 5:47 pm

I don't know. I have some professors who I believe feel obligated to keep the mean GPA of the class as low as possible.

Postby 005618502 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

UVAIce wrote:I don't know. I have some professors who I believe feel obligated to keep the mean GPA of the class as low as possible.

I havent gotten that feeling, but maybe I just havent taken enough classes at this point.

Anyone know if that applies to 1L classes? I have a feeling one of my classes is paired with the other super gunnerish section. I think my section did VERY well in our classes with other sections. I cant be sure, but sure seems like this class will be higher than a 3.3 mean/median or whatever

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat May 04, 2013 7:35 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Anyone know if that applies to 1L classes? I have a feeling one of my classes is paired with the other super gunnerish section. I think my section did VERY well in our classes with other sections. I cant be sure, but sure seems like this class will be higher than a 3.3 mean/median or whatever

Self reporting. The B's and B-'s tend not to shout too loudly about their grade. therefore there's a perception in every class that way more get median and above than actually do. Maybe that's also because it's still a good majority that achieve that, with about 1/3 typically getting below median.

It's certainly possible a section could outperform, but I wouldn't expect it to be by much.

Postby 005618502 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:01 pm

albanach wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Anyone know if that applies to 1L classes? I have a feeling one of my classes is paired with the other super gunnerish section. I think my section did VERY well in our classes with other sections. I cant be sure, but sure seems like this class will be higher than a 3.3 mean/median or whatever

Self reporting. The B's and B-'s tend not to shout too loudly about their grade. therefore there's a perception in every class that way more get median and above than actually do. Maybe that's also because it's still a good majority that achieve that, with about 1/3 typically getting below median.

It's certainly possible a section could outperform, but I wouldn't expect it to be by much.

Yeah I figured this was a possibility. I must just be close with some of the people who did really well. 3 people are in the 3.85+ range, which blows my mind.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 pm

5ky wrote:
Of course, with professors now having the option to make the mean grade of a class = to the mean GPA of all of the students, I think that risk is somewhat lessened now.

They can also curve between a 3.2 and a 3.4 mean now (used to be 3.25-3.35)

If anyone is wondering about that and stuff.

Also not sure if that applies to adjusted GPAs but I'm assuming so.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
albanach wrote:

Yeah I figured this was a possibility. I must just be close with some of the people who did really well. 3 people are in the 3.85+ range, which blows my mind.

You have a sample size of one semester, dude. I had several friends in the 3.8+ range after the Fall semester, and most of them were not in the 3.8+ range after the Spring.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 pm

About 5% of the class has a 3.8+.

Math gonna math, etc.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”