UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dixon02

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 pm

firstimer wrote:
pjo wrote:
dixon02 wrote:The general consensus is that the faculty is very strong teaching wise, on average. There are obviously plenty of exceptions. I personally didn't have any 1L professors who I considered poor professors. Some were just average, some were fantastic. I know we are commonly ranked very high in polls/surveys for teaching quality.

One thing I think everyone would agree on is that compared to many other schools, our professors are extraordinarily accessible outside of class.

I really can't figure out why everyone keeps saying this.

Interesting experiences. Anyone else have any feedback? Teaching quality / accessibility of faculty is very important to me because I didn't necessarily get the opportunity to get to know my professors in undergrad.

Also, couple of other random questions:
1) is it possible to get part-time (<10 hours per week) jobs on campus / be an RA in the residence halls?
2) what % would you say of your class (if you're a 3L) has not found a job for the next year? Do people in the school-funded fellowships genuinely want to be there, or have they been pushed into it to boost the school's employment numbers?
3) free food opportunities...many or few? (pretty trivial q)
4) is the social scene pretty good? (also trivial q)

Thanks for any info!

1) Yes, it's possible, but it's not common. I would in fact say it's a flat-out bad idea during 1L. After that, you could try. I've heard of people being RAs. Personally, I think that would be miserable. Too much noise and commotion for me.
2) Not going to get too specific since I'm a 2L. I will say I think it's a really difficult question to answer, because people without jobs tend not to talk about not having jobs. As for the fellowships, I think it's a mixed bag but do think it's overrated on TLS. I know a number of people who are basically banking on those fellowships to go into public interest. The truth is if you want to go into PI, aside from public defense, it's just really hard and there simply aren't jobs there for new graduates. I know multiple people who are basically assuming that if they don't get a Skadden, Equal Justice Works, or Powell (UVA's two-year fellowship that goes to one person), they'll take one of the school funded positions and try to get hired coming off that. So while I'm sure there are people who are in these spots because they struck out, some of them are absolutely there because they've chosen to be.
3) Tons of free food opportunities. Especially during spring semester, you could go to a free lunch most days of the week.
4) Social scene is great. Only word of caution is that it's an insular community. People will know your business, that's the nature of going to a law school in a small town. But people go out all the time, and Charlottesville has a great social scene between the Corner (where college kids go out) and the Downtown [outdoor] Mall (which attracts an older crowd).

firstimer

Postby firstimer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 am

Appreciate the answers. Was wondering if people without any ties to Virginia can get a good job in the state? How about those without ties to Cali or Atlanta - does UVA open doors there or do you pretty much need ties?

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:31 pm

firstimer wrote:Appreciate the answers. Was wondering if people without any ties to Virginia can get a good job in the state? How about those without ties to Cali or Atlanta - does UVA open doors there or do you pretty much need ties?

The right grades from UVa open doors anywhere. What those grades have to be changes by market. In my experience, Virginia was a tough market. Its pretty well saturated with UVa students since so many residents of Virginia compared to the other states attend to UVa.

UVa's alumni network is strong and fairly dispersed. This means if you have a legitimate reason to be in a state, you don't have to have actual ties to get a shot. Your grades are going to be critical to opening up new markets (and really all jobs). To anyone who wants a job in a city they don't have a tie to: I'd always recommend creating a tie now or 1L summer.
Last edited by Heat on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:35 pm

UVA is a national school and won't hold you back by name, but employers understandably have biases towards hometown heroes and against people applying to jobs across the country without reason.

There's no bright line rule when it comes to ties, but it matters no matter who or where you are.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:UVA is a national school and won't hold you back by name, but employers understandably have biases towards hometown heroes and against people applying to jobs across the country without reason.

There's no bright line rule when it comes to ties, but it matters no matter who or where you are.

Does a 1L summer gig in a city where you have no other ties make a difference?

Also, way ahead I know, but when one goes into 2L SA hiring, does one generally have a city they want to target and target that city hard? Personally there would be a few places I would like to work in, but I imagine that if you spread your choices around too much your outcome wouldn't be as good as say a kid who targeted a particular city.

TL;DR of paragraph above: Does one need to know which city they would like (hope) to work in before SA hiring?

alphabro001

Postby alphabro001 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm

How hard is it to get into the Innocence Clinic?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:UVA is a national school and won't hold you back by name, but employers understandably have biases towards hometown heroes and against people applying to jobs across the country without reason.

Does a 1L summer gig in a city where you have no other ties make a difference?

Also, way ahead I know, but when one goes into 2L SA hiring, does one generally have a city they want to target and target that city hard? Personally there would be a few places I would like to work in, but I imagine that if you spread your choices around too much your outcome wouldn't be as good as say a kid who targeted a particular city.

TL;DR of paragraph above: Does one need to know which city they would like (hope) to work in before SA hiring?

There aren't any bright line rules. If you pick your home city and only apply there you'll have better luck then if you apply to one law firm in every metropolitan city in North America. Everything else is inbetween.

Ideally you'll have a compelling story for the area(s) you apply to. But you can get jobs without any ties... it'll just be more of an uphill battle. And I know people who got offers at great firms in several different cities, so it's not like you have to just pick one and stick it out.

This is something career services can help with, because you have to thread the needle between too narrow and too wide of a search, and it can be tricky depending on your background.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 am

geverett wrote:Charlottesville . . . what a place.

:shock: Do my eyes deceive me? Gev?! Long time no see bud.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:34 pm

alphabro001 wrote:How hard is it to get into the Innocence Clinic?

I assume it depends on how many people apply, but I don't think it's terribly hard. I know a decent number of people on it, all 2Ls. They mostly like it, though it's probably the most work intensive clinic of all with the possible exception of the SCOTUS clinic.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:59 pm

How much do utilities typically run someone with a studio? Or I guess if you haven't lived by yourself, how much does your household typically pay for utilities if you live in an apartment?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am

How does the personal property tax on vehicles work and is there anything I can do to minimize the tax?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 am

While we are at it, do I have to switch to Va tags and DL?

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am

Shadow and br3v... I think this has all the information you need.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 am

Is there a student who ended up taking a larger scholarship at UVA over a T6 that could PM me? I've got less than 24 hours to make a decision, and I'd really like to hear how others worked through it.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm

So I am about to take my last exam ever as a law student, and, thinking back on my three years here, I'm wishing I'd taken remedies, conflict of laws, and maybe fed courts. Am I right that I missed some important stuff? Anyone else have classes they wish they'd taken? Or classes they took and really wish they hadn't?

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:How much do utilities typically run someone with a studio? Or I guess if you haven't lived by yourself, how much does your household typically pay for utilities if you live in an apartment?

I'm very conscious about my power use but usually paid about $30-75 (electric) for a 450 square foot studio. Plus about 60 for TV and Internet.

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 pm

StanleyF wrote:So I am about to take my last exam ever as a law student, and, thinking back on my three years here, I'm wishing I'd taken remedies, conflict of laws, and maybe fed courts. Am I right that I missed some important stuff? Anyone else have classes they wish they'd taken? Or classes they took and really wish they hadn't?

Wish I'd maxed out on clinics and writing classes instead of taking "substantive" classes. Looking at how little I retained from these classes makes me regret agonizing through outlining and exams.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

sccjnthn wrote:
StanleyF wrote:So I am about to take my last exam ever as a law student, and, thinking back on my three years here, I'm wishing I'd taken remedies, conflict of laws, and maybe fed courts. Am I right that I missed some important stuff? Anyone else have classes they wish they'd taken? Or classes they took and really wish they hadn't?

Wish I'd maxed out on clinics and writing classes instead of taking "substantive" classes. Looking at how little I retained from these classes makes me regret agonizing through outlining and exams.

I think the agonizing of outlining and exams is for the grade, not the knowledge. At least thats my though, I dont remember much of anything from first semester classes

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 pm

sccjnthn wrote:Wish I'd maxed out on clinics and writing classes instead of taking "substantive" classes. Looking at how little I retained from these classes makes me regret agonizing through outlining and exams.

Good point. My favorite classes—or at least the ones where I felt I got the most out of them—were the practical skills classes like legal research. I should have taken more of those.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm

sccjnthn wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:How much do utilities typically run someone with a studio? Or I guess if you haven't lived by yourself, how much does your household typically pay for utilities if you live in an apartment?

I'm very conscious about my power use but usually paid about $30-75 (electric) for a 450 square foot studio. Plus about 60 for TV and Internet.

Great, thanks for the info!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I wish I had taken more classes unrelated to what I practice (for instance, accounting and corporate finance, bankruptcy, secured transactions, etc.). If you go to UVA, you're (probably) smart enough to learn whatever you practice on the job. But you'll probably never have the opportunity to get in-depth exposure to unrelated practice areas after you graduate. So in retrospect, as a litigator (sort of), I think taking more transactional classes would have been beneficial.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Has anyone on here taken Stephan for property? Just finished his final. Feel like it was fair... but no idea what he was looking for. Seemed like one big issue spotter. Curious if anyone knows anything about his grading/what he looks for... then again, I dont see how this is even an answerable question.

I typed a shitton, which may be good for some professors, but not others. Know now that I missed a couple issues, but I guess who doesnt miss at least a couple.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 pm

BigLawer wrote:Has anyone on here taken Stephan for property? Just finished his final. Feel like it was fair... but no idea what he was looking for. Seemed like one big issue spotter. Curious if anyone knows anything about his grading/what he looks for... then again, I dont see how this is even an answerable question.

I typed a shitton, which may be good for some professors, but not others. Know now that I missed a couple issues, but I guess who doesnt miss at least a couple.

It's too late now, just move on to the next one.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Shadow and br3v... I think this has all the information you need.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm

So if I, a student, use my car to drive to school and random errands, then I do not have to register my car in Virginia/get Va plates? But I have to pay some sort of property tax on the car even though my parents own it?

The DL part is still vague too.

What did you fellow out of staters do?

nacho cheese

Postby nacho cheese » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 pm

BigLawer wrote:Has anyone on here taken Stephan for property? Just finished his final. Feel like it was fair... but no idea what he was looking for. Seemed like one big issue spotter. Curious if anyone knows anything about his grading/what he looks for... then again, I dont see how this is even an answerable question.

lol 1Ls

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”