UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon sequitur

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 pm

dansw wrote:Do any current students have T-mobile? I'm loving their new plan pricing, fairly worried about their coverage. If anyone knows anything about how their reception is in cville generally and around the laaw school in particular, I'd greatly appreciate some info.

Not that good. I frequently drop to 2g when driving around cvilles less developed areas. I Get HSPA in areas around north grounds and downtown, Long 29, etc. still, worth the price.

dansw

Postby dansw » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
dansw wrote:Do any current students have T-mobile? I'm loving their new plan pricing, fairly worried about their coverage. If anyone knows anything about how their reception is in cville generally and around the laaw school in particular, I'd greatly appreciate some info.

Not that good. I frequently drop to 2g when driving around cvilles less developed areas. I Get HSPA in areas around north grounds and downtown, Long 29, etc. still, worth the price.

But you at least have voice and some sort of data pretty much everywhere?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am

dansw wrote:But you at least have voice and some sort of data pretty much everywhere?

Yeah, there's only one real dead spot I know of, I can pretty much always make a call or check email. It's good enough for me, considering the price.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Anyone done OTIP in LA/SF? Know anyone who had success? Worth the trouble for somewhat below median students with ties to the state?

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:16 pm

[quote="anon sequitur"]Anyone done OTIP in LA/SF? Know anyone who had success? Worth the trouble for somewhat below median students with ties to the state?[/quote

I know people who did it and had success. Every application is "worth the trouble" for below median students anyway.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Cool, thanks. To clarify, I meant worth the trouble of flying out to LA/SF when I'll be on the East Coast this summer. I didn't know if this would be something that is practically only for top students even though ostensibly open to anyone.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Unless they changed up the format from last year, OTIP is 100% preselect. So you should know in advance how many interviews you'll have. You can decide whether to actually go based on that.

I think OTIP is a great opportunity, and anyone considering the markets it covers should definitely apply.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Unless they changed up the format from last year, OTIP is 100% preselect. So you should know in advance how many interviews you'll have. You can decide whether to actually go based on that.

I think OTIP is a great opportunity, and anyone considering the markets it covers should definitely apply.

What is OTIP?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:33 pm

http://www.ontourinterview.com/. Career Services will probably start sending emails about it over the summer. Basically, you get yourself to Chicago/LA/SF/Dallas/Houston (and it looks like they're adding Miami this year) and do a mini-OGI with just employers from that city. Some of the cities have more firms participating than others, but it's definitely something that's worth looking into if you're trying to end up in one of those places.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:http://www.ontourinterview.com/. Career Services will probably start sending emails about it over the summer. Basically, you get yourself to Chicago/LA/SF/Dallas/Houston (and it looks like they're adding Miami this year) and do a mini-OGI with just employers from that city. Some of the cities have more firms participating than others, but it's definitely something that's worth looking into if you're trying to end up in one of those places.

man, I will be doing SA positions in Houston and Dallas that end the 3rd... and the Houston one is the 1st and Dallas the 2nd. That is really horrible timing.... I will be in the area too!

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:http://www.ontourinterview.com/. Career Services will probably start sending emails about it over the summer. Basically, you get yourself to Chicago/LA/SF/Dallas/Houston (and it looks like they're adding Miami this year) and do a mini-OGI with just employers from that city. Some of the cities have more firms participating than others, but it's definitely something that's worth looking into if you're trying to end up in one of those places.

man, I will be doing SA positions in Houston and Dallas that end the 3rd... and the Houston one is the 1st and Dallas the 2nd. That is really horrible timing.... I will be in the area too!

Has anyone participated in this before? Do any participating firms actually give callbacks from this? Seems like a massive advantage if one sets aside the money and spends a week hitting all the markets they'd be interested in working in.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 am

Yeah, I feel like these events are definitely worth the $, especially if you have ties to the market, and especially if you can get more than 1 interview. It may be expensive to fly/hotel, but law school's expensive and you want to make sure you give yourself as many chances as possible to get hired. Although almost everyone gets a lot of interviews at OGI, most people I know who got jobs with middle of the pack grades skated by with 1-2 offers, and you never know where they're going to come from. Plus, even if you bomb the interviews, you'll know what not to do when it comes time for OGI.

When it gets closer, I would call the recruiters of those Texas firms and try to get an interview after your SA. I would think at least some of them would react positively to you being in the area and having a SA in the area.

dsn32 wrote:

Has anyone participated in this before? Do any participating firms actually give callbacks from this? Seems like a massive advantage if one sets aside the money and spends a week hitting all the markets they'd be interested in working in.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Anyone know for sure when they're releasing next year's COA? I think the website just says that it will be around April, so I'm hoping it's fairly soon.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm

turkeysub wrote:Yeah, I feel like these events are definitely worth the $, especially if you have ties to the market

Do you guys think doing my UG in the Bay Area could count as ties, even though I grew up in oregon?

I met a guy at West Coast Wahoos who said he got SF with no ties at all, so I imagine it's possible, but not sure how likely it is.

Also I'm not IP. I don't know if you have to be IP for the Bay Area.

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
turkeysub wrote:Yeah, I feel like these events are definitely worth the $, especially if you have ties to the market

Do you guys think doing my UG in the Bay Area could count as ties, even though I grew up in oregon?

I met a guy at West Coast Wahoos who said he got SF with no ties at all, so I imagine it's possible, but not sure how likely it is.

This is the definition of a tie.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:

Yes that is definitely a tie. No, you (obviously) dont have to be IP for the Bay Area. But yes, IP is big in CA and especially NorCal, but that doesnt mean its the only practice.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Good to hear. Thank you both for the input.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 pm

To anyone even considering the issue of expense vis-a-vis OTIP, keep in mind that even if it costs you $500 to attend one of these events (I think it cost me about $350 to do the Dallas/Houston swing two years ago), that's less than the amount of money you'll make your first day as a summer associate. Do it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:

Feel free to pm if you are interested in SF otip or SF interviewing. I'm SAing in SF this summer.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Charlottesville . . . what a place.

walkthegoose

Postby walkthegoose » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey does anybody here have a criminal procedure or administration of criminal justice exam from the exam database that they would be willing to send to me? I'm from another university and our professor is teaching this course for the first time and does not have any old exams on file.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

You really love spreadsheets!

And I really love your spreadsheets.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

O shoot, I did it thinking I would get the COL based on my numbers. I put 0 for food costs....can you undue that? Dont want to mess up the average

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 am

shadowofjazz wrote:I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

O shoot, I did it thinking I would get the COL based on my numbers. I put 0 for food costs....can you undue that? Dont want to mess up the average
What's your actual food costs? I'll fix it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”