UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
digifly

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

danitt wrote:I thought the Pavilion was such a dream find because I've always lived in higher priced urban areas so I never even though that you could get all that for that price. I was seduced by it.

In my area of SoCal the Pavilion would probably run something like $1,300-$1,400 per month. Easily $1,500 with the utilities and furniture. And that's for a two bedroom. I'm paying $500 to SPLIT a bedroom in a house. And that includes nothing.

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

digifly wrote:
danitt wrote:I thought the Pavilion was such a dream find because I've always lived in higher priced urban areas so I never even though that you could get all that for that price. I was seduced by it.

In my area of SoCal the Pavilion would probably run something like $1,300-$1,400 per month. Easily $1,500 with the utilities and furniture. And that's for a two bedroom. I'm paying $500 to SPLIT a bedroom in a house. And that includes nothing.

I looked at a 2/2 apartment similar to the Pavilion when I first moved to DC - $3700 a month. (I didn't take it.Duh!)

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
digifly wrote:
Wow, I had no idea that pavillions included all utilities and furniture. In the long-run, that could save me some serious money and wouldn't come out to much more than ivy. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Yeah, not sure why they aren't advertising this more heavily.

Br3v wrote:I feel really poor the more I hear people talk about the Pavilion.

Only reason I moved on it was because of my scholarship and because I've secured a limited income from my currently employer for 1L. Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

AKA: The Jeffersonian

I don't care what people say, the Jeff still kicks ass. I just checked the rates at the Pavilion because all the talk on this thread made me think I was missing out. Rent for a 2BR in the Pavilion is within 50 dollars of being double what I am paying to live in a fully furnished 2BR at the Jeff, and that's including what I pay for internet/cable.

Also, the Pavilion site says the price includes "water, cable and internet". Everyone should note that it doesn't include electricity (unless it says this somewhere and I'm missing it). You don't pay for water at the Jeff (and pretty sure not at Ivy either), so the Pavilion is basically just paying your internet and cable (not full utilities). You should also figure out if parking is included (I heard you have to pay to park in their garage).
Last edited by pjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 pm

pjo wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
digifly wrote:
Wow, I had no idea that pavillions included all utilities and furniture. In the long-run, that could save me some serious money and wouldn't come out to much more than ivy. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Yeah, not sure why they aren't advertising this more heavily.

Br3v wrote:I feel really poor the more I hear people talk about the Pavilion.

Only reason I moved on it was because of my scholarship and because I've secured a limited income from my currently employer for 1L. Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

AKA: The Jeffersonian

I don't care what people say, the Jeff still kicks ass. I just checked the rates at the Pavilion because all the talk on this thread made me think I was missing out. Rent for a 2BR in the Pavilion is within 50 dollars of being double what I am paying to live in a fully furnished 2BR at the Jeff, and that's including what I pay for internet/cable.

Also, the Pavilion site says the price includes "water, cable and internet". Everyone should note that it doesn't include electricity (unless it says this somewhere and I'm missing it). You don't paid for water at the Jeff (and pretty sure not at Ivy either), so the Pavilion is basically just paying your internet and cable (not full utilities)
1 BR's at the Pavilion are running about $500 more than the Jeffersonian too. So glad I snagged the last 1 BR at the Jeffersonian :) You have to pay for electricity and good wifi/cable but that's still way less. Oh and Jeff has free parking for its residents!

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Also, the Pavilion site says the price includes "water, cable and internet". Everyone should note that it doesn't include electricity (unless it says this somewhere and I'm missing it). You don't paid for water at the Jeff (and pretty sure not at Ivy either), so the Pavilion is basically just paying your internet and cable (not full utilities)

I mentioned the electricity point a page back. I agree with you that in general there isn't really a way to classify the Pavilion as a steal given its relative expense for the area. For me it was a combination of convenience and scholarship funding opening up my budget.

I don't know if it matters for your comparison, but the Pavilion's also got a 24-hour gym downstairs, a pool, a spa, etc. Clearly they are adding a bunch of stuff we all likely won't need or even have time for, but it's worth noting I suppose.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 am

Btw to clarify, i'm not hating on anyone living in pavilion. Place looks amazing, that location is virtually the same as Jeffersonian, and it's not that drastic of a price difference. Seems like a great place to live for a year or more.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:13 am

OTOH, supply and demand. You can't just choose the Jeffersonian over the pavilion, it fills up crazy fast. You can compare the prices, but you probably can't actually choose between them - at least as a first year.

Rent in various other places along Arlington is something like 400-600 per month, with power/water/whatever coming in somewhere under a hundred, if memory serves.

I recall rent for a 1 bedroom in the Jeffersonian was like 3 pieces of chewing gum and a nickel per month.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 am

Last edited by Hspeaksfriend on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:30 am

Hspeaksfriend wrote:I snagged a spot at Jeff, but I'll definitely be making friends with people who are at Pavillion :D

LAW SCHOOL ISN'T ABOUT FRIENDS ONLY SELF LOATHING AND RANKING THINGS

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:34 am

thesealocust wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:I snagged a spot at Jeff, but I'll definitely be making friends with people who are at Pavillion :D

Saw a 1L scouring the W&L Official Journal Ranks, died a little on the inside

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 am

thesealocust wrote:

Jeffersonian is definitely T14.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:49 am

Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

Box=TTT, however you probably won't have to take out loans, unless it's a really nice box.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 am

5ky wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Saw a 1L scouring the W&L Official Journal Ranks, died a little on the inside

Tragic. This means we have failed to do our job.

For any 1Ls out there still deciding, let me sum it up for you like this. Law Review is highly regarded and has some single digit ranking. The rest of the journals are not highly regarded (despite what VJIL tries to tell you) and have some other ranking that is basically a 200-way tied for 'insignificant.' Choose the one with the least amount of work, or something that might serve as a useful signal/talking point to employers. The importance of your journal's ranking falls somewhere between your high school's prestige and your softball team's record.

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

mh013 wrote:
Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

Box=TTT, however you probably won't have to take out loans, unless it's a really nice box.

Man, if it's a box with a JD inside of it you'll probably have to take out loans.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:17 am

I was joking. I am (possibly) staying at the Jeffersonian. How is the pool there? Is it open a lot?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 am

NoodleyOne wrote:I was joking. I am (possibly) staying at the Jeffersonian. How is the pool there? Is it open a lot?

I think they open it for a week every summer but hire a bouncer to keep law students out.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 am

thesealocust wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I was joking. I am (possibly) staying at the Jeffersonian. How is the pool there? Is it open a lot?

I think they open it for a week every summer but hire a bouncer to keep law students out.

Is it a list type thing where I can pretend I go to Darden or can they just smell my liberal arts degree?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 am

Hey everyone, does anyone know if UVA ever increases initial scholarship amounts? Cornell offered me $15K total more than UVA today. I figure it's not much leverage but I was just wondering.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, does anyone know if UVA ever increases initial scholarship amounts? Cornell offered me $15K total more than UVA today. I figure it's not much leverage but I was just wondering.

I believe they are at least open to doing so, but based on what I've seen the past 2 cycles, it isn't all too common.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm

So I did the second round rankings, and they had us rank our choices 1-5. Anyone know how this works? I mean do they see the number you ranked them? I am a little concerned about the process as I just found out someone else already heard back from the journal I put as #2, but I got nothing. Also, the law review lady sent out the second round info much earlier to some than others. So I received and submitted days after some other people... getting pretty nervous.

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:So I did the second round rankings, and they had us rank our choices 1-5. Anyone know how this works? I mean do they see the number you ranked them? I am a little concerned about the process as I just found out someone else already heard back from the journal I put as #2, but I got nothing. Also, the law review lady sent out the second round info much earlier to some than others. So I received and submitted days after some other people... getting pretty nervous.

I promise you will get on a journal. I also promise you will hate being on a journal when your cite checks come in and you spend a few hours doing completely useless work.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:So I did the second round rankings, and they had us rank our choices 1-5. Anyone know how this works? I mean do they see the number you ranked them? I am a little concerned about the process as I just found out someone else already heard back from the journal I put as #2, but I got nothing. Also, the law review lady sent out the second round info much earlier to some than others. So I received and submitted days after some other people... getting pretty nervous.

I did my ranking purely based on what I thought would be least competitive. I wonder if other people had the same idea, sabotaging my plan.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Last edited by 005618502 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Last edited by 005618502 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:55 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Heat wrote:

I promise you will get on a journal. I also promise you will hate being on a journal when your cite checks come in and you spend a few hours doing completely useless work.

I dont care, I still hope you are correct! lol I just dont want to be one of the few going through OGI w/out a damn journal.

Let's start a journal, bro. Way better to found a journal than be a boring articles editor.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”