UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
digifly

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby digifly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 pm

RE-POST FROM CO2016 THREAD:

I've had a ridiculously slow day at work today, so when I went to set up my UVa email I decided to make a few backgrounds for it. These could double as wallpapers if anyone is interested. If anything, it makes your Virginia email look way more legit haha. The small images are just previews, click the links for the hi-res shots. Also, the ones with the logos placed on the middle-left of the image are the best for use as a gmail background.

http://i.imgur.com/aNsIrI9.png
http://i.imgur.com/CqKGdgf.png
http://i.imgur.com/e3F4bfp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yTycCcF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cYBhINm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qGLtKof.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HS3z4iX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZGcTPAP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XEFEmlR.jpg

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:03 pm

digifly wrote:
Br3v wrote:Thanks for the sports info Polk.

So, in regards to the kindle debate above, are some of you other 0L's already looking at what supplements and textbooks to buy? How would you even know which ones to get?

I have no clue what to buy. A 3L sent some advice, but he emphasized not getting anything until school starts.

On another note, I've submitted my deposit and am about to withdraw my apps at every other school to which I've been admitted. Before I do, is there any reason I shouldn't?

I'm going to break away from the mold here and recommend the E&E for CivPro. It is just such an absurd topic that being familiar with the way everything works ahead of time will be a huge timesaver. Reading it now won't really correlate to any better of a grade in that particular class, but the time you can save will be invaluable and you can dedicate it to your other courses. Other than that though I would agree that reading anything outside of GTM is a huge timesink.

(actually come to think of it I would maybe recommend "Acing CivPro" for this particular endeavor ahead of the E&E which you should get anyways for when you start studying for finals.... ACP though is super short, you can probably get through it in 48 hours, and gives a good base)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Heat wrote:

So, in regards to the kindle debate above, are some of you other 0L's already looking at what supplements and textbooks to buy? How would you even know which ones to get?

There is differing advice on this. I would say the majority of people will recommend not reading anything/reading Getting to Maybe if you really need it to feel better.

Honestly, you'll have time as a 1L to read supplements if you want them. The supplements will make more sense because you'll have learned things in class, they will be better targeted because you'll know what you've covered, and you can ask your Professor which supplements they prefer. Reading them before may give you a better general understanding for things like cold-calls (which in virtually every class could not matter less) but to be effective for the exam (which is all that matters) there is a good chance you'll need to reread much of them.

As far as textbooks you won't know until you get a section assignment. This happens like a week before orientation if I remember correctly.
I specifically have compiled the list from a few posts ago from reading this thread (almost all UVA students seem to recommend those). I'm waiting to buy them to see if I need them/new editions as needed. I'm not planning on any 0L prep other than GTM and Law School Confidential (has an excellent chapter on things you should do when you're getting settled (bringing copies of your diplomas, transcripts, passport, etc))

Lol, I remember when I was an over eager 0L. You dont need supplements till you get here. There will be students eager to sell the supplements they used and there will be a sale called "Pila Sale" where you can also pick up supps for cheap.

For instance I will be selling an E&E for each first semester class as well as Acing Civil Procedure. I also have a couple case brief supplements. The good thing with that is you can also ask the students what did and didnt help. I know most of my friends will have a lot of the same ones.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm

JRustle wrote:
digifly wrote:

I have no clue what to buy. A 3L sent some advice, but he emphasized not getting anything until school starts.

On another note, I've submitted my deposit and am about to withdraw my apps at every other school to which I've been admitted. Before I do, is there any reason I shouldn't?

I'm going to break away from the mold here and recommend the E&E for CivPro. It is just such an absurd topic that being familiar with the way everything works ahead of time will be a huge timesaver. Reading it now won't really correlate to any better of a grade in that particular class, but the time you can save will be invaluable and you can dedicate it to your other courses. Other than that though I would agree that reading anything outside of GTM is a huge timesink.

(actually come to think of it I would maybe recommend "Acing CivPro" for this particular endeavor ahead of the E&E which you should get anyways for when you start studying for finals.... ACP though is super short, you can probably get through it in 48 hours, and gives a good base)

I'm not recommending to do this (do it if you want, but I don't think you'll get an edge by reading before you start). I'm bumping it to reiterate how Acing Civil Procedure is THE supplement everyone should be using for Civ Pro. I had Spencer for Civil Procedure (he was visiting from Washington and Lee) and he was an AMAZING professor. I actually learned Civil Procedure and it made sense (as opposed to basically everyone else who takes Civ Pro and says all they really learned/can remember is Erie). He basically taught the class the same as the supplement. It's really a great, understandable, supplement for Civ Pro.

OP, if I could recommend one thing to do before school, it would be to just get all your shit in order. Get all your finances situated. Tie up any loose ends you may have. Basically anything that you anticipate could pop up during 1L, take care of it now. Make sure your resume is up to date. Buy a suit. Make a list of firms/places that you would be interested in working 1L summer (that actually hire 1Ls) and to whom to send all the application materials. When Dec. 1 rolls around and you're freaking out about finals, you can send out all your applications no-sweat, while everyone else is wasting valuable study time trying to revamp their resume/figure out where to send everything.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Nvm

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Pjo, tbf acing civ pro was basically the best possible outline for Spencer's course just because he wrote it.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Yeah, I didn't find acing civ pro to be that great. Helpful on a few topics, but like all the supplements for civ pro I looked at, it didn't match up well with my prof's areas of emphasis.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 am

anon sequitur wrote:Yeah, I didn't find acing civ pro to be that great. Helpful on a few topics, but like all the supplements for civ pro I looked at, it didn't match up well with my prof's areas of emphasis.

Both acing civ pro and the E&E were good for my class

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 am

Acing Civ Pro helped with my class too. Didn't cover everything my professor did and put some emphasis on things we didn't discuss, but it's a good refresher/overview.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:37 pm

sundance95 wrote:Pjo, tbf acing civ pro was basically the best possible outline for Spencer's course just because he wrote it.

Yeah that's a fair point, but at the same time, Spencer's class (which mirrored the supplement) was very clear and an understandable approach to Civ Pro (which is not typical for a civ pro class). It's a statutory class. I don't see why his teaching style wouldn't transfer over to any Civ Pro class regardless of who is teaching it. I know I knew more about Civ Pro generally after taking his class than other 1Ls in other classes (others in his class also said the same thing). Overall, I think it's the best supplement for giving you an actual game plan to attack the test. It's probably not the best if you want more detail about a specific rule or case though.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

pjo wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Pjo, tbf acing civ pro was basically the best possible outline for Spencer's course just because he wrote it.

Yeah that's a fair point, but at the same time, Spencer's class (which mirrored the supplement) was very clear and an understandable approach to Civ Pro (which is not typical for a civ pro class). It's a statutory class. I don't see why his teaching style wouldn't transfer over to any Civ Pro class regardless of who is teaching it. I know I knew more about Civ Pro generally after taking his class than other 1Ls in other classes (others in his class also said the same thing). Overall, I think it's the best supplement for giving you an actual game plan to attack the test. It's probably not the best if you want more detail about a specific rule or case though.

UVA has some real pros teaching Civpro, let's not get carried away here duder

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:09 pm

How's the wireless at UVA? Is there a device limit on the school network?

Also, if anyone is from Chicago/Boston...what are the best ways you have found to get to those cities from Charlottesville?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:How's the wireless at UVA? Is there a device limit on the school network?

Also, if anyone is from Chicago/Boston...what are the best ways you have found to get to those cities from Charlottesville?

The wireless is pretty good. Charlottesville has an airport that can take you where you need to go, although you'd need to connect to get to Chicago or Boston.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm

5ky wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:How's the wireless at UVA? Is there a device limit on the school network?

The wireless is pretty good. Charlottesville has an airport that can take you where you need to go, although you'd need to connect to get to Chicago or Boston.

They actually added direct service to O'Hare in the last year or so. It's relatively cheap too (think I paid ~$220 for my flight the one time I did it). Boston requires a connection. Alternatively, you can drive to Richmond (~75 minutes) or Dulles (~2 hours), but neither are particularly convenient.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Quick question that has probably been already answered: How long into the summer is there typically housing available? Specifically at Ivy and other places near the north grounds.

Also, I'm mostly leaning towards ivy because a. it seems like that's where most 1Ls live and b. it seems that everything (lease, deposit, etc.) can be done from far away (I'm out west and won't be in Charlottesville until I actually move there). If you know of any other apartments that have a pretty streamlined process similar to ivy, I'd appreciate it.

One more thing: You have to send in a deposit with your application to ivy, yes? How much will that run me?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Last year there were places in Ivy available in August. I don't think they actually fill up at all. Also, last year there were people who changed their mind and deferred or got in off waitlists and needed to get out of leases, so there were some good bargains available. This year there's a new, more expensive, place opening up on Arlington,where the closest apartments all are. I bet there will be units available there pretty late in the summer.

You can definitely do all the sign-ups for Ivy remotely, although I don't think that'd be much of a problem at any complex.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 pm

RSterling wrote:Quick question that has probably been already answered: How long into the summer is there typically housing available? Specifically at Ivy and other places near the north grounds.

Also, I'm mostly leaning towards ivy because a. it seems like that's where most 1Ls live and b. it seems that everything (lease, deposit, etc.) can be done from far away (I'm out west and won't be in Charlottesville until I actually move there). If you know of any other apartments that have a pretty streamlined process similar to ivy, I'd appreciate it.

One more thing: You have to send in a deposit with your application to ivy, yes? How much will that run me?

The new place on Arlington is called the Pavilion. It's "expensive" for the area, but depending on where you live on the West Coast it may seem like a bargain. I did everything for it online, though I did stop by it during ASW.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

digifly wrote:
RSterling wrote:Quick question that has probably been already answered: How long into the summer is there typically housing available? Specifically at Ivy and other places near the north grounds.

The new place on Arlington is called the Pavilion. It's "expensive" for the area, but depending on where you live on the West Coast it may seem like a bargain. I did everything for it online, though I did stop by it during ASW.

Bargains should be determined relative to other options in the area, although the 3 bedroom places weren't that much more.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Bargains should be determined relative to other options in the area, although the 3 bedroom places weren't that much more.

I agree, and there are certainly much cheaper places to live. The sheer convenience that it presents for someone coming from out of state should be a factor, though. Right now there is no deposit, no sign-up fees (this deal may have ended), and the rent includes all utilities (except electricity) plus internet and cable.

On top of that, the rooms have washers in dryers in them (in their own laundry room), and they are fully furnished (which normally costs extra but is going for free right now).

It depends on how much you value the convenience, and also on your budget, but I didn't think it was ridiculously overpriced as some at ASW suggested.

I haven't moved there yet, though (obviously), so this could turn out to be a terrible idea haha.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm

digifly wrote:

I agree, and there are certainly much cheaper places to live. The sheer convenience that it presents for someone coming from out of state should be a factor, though. Right now there is no deposit, no sign-up fees (this deal may have ended), and the rent includes all utilities (except electricity) plus internet and cable.

On top of that, the rooms have washers in dryers in them (in their own laundry room), and they are fully furnished (which normally costs extra but is going for free right now).

It depends on how much you value the convenience, and also on your budget, but I didn't think it was ridiculously overpriced as some at ASW suggested.

I haven't moved there yet, though (obviously), so this could turn out to be a terrible idea haha.

Wow, I had no idea that pavillions included all utilities and furniture. In the long-run, that could save me some serious money and wouldn't come out to much more than ivy. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm

I feel really poor the more I hear people talk about the Pavilion.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Wow, I had no idea that pavillions included all utilities and furniture. In the long-run, that could save me some serious money and wouldn't come out to much more than ivy. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Yeah, not sure why they aren't advertising this more heavily.

Br3v wrote:I feel really poor the more I hear people talk about the Pavilion.

Only reason I moved on it was because of my scholarship and because I've secured a limited income from my currently employer for 1L. Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

digifly wrote:

Only reason I moved on it was because of my scholarship and because I've secured a limited income from my currently employer for 1L. Otherwise, I'd probably be living out of a box on the steps of the law school.

AKA: The Jeffersonian

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 pm

I thought the Pavilion was such a dream find because I've always lived in higher priced urban areas so I never even though that you could get all that for that price. I was seduced by it.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:17 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
digifly wrote:

AKA: The Jeffersonian

Ouch.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”