UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 pm

VIJL had already put congratulatory letters in some people's mailboxes on Saturday, which seemed strange that they would do it a few days ahead of the notification deadline like that.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:So I believe journal decisions are going to come out tomorrow. Where do we look to find out if we made the first cut? lol

The bulletin board right outside of the fish bowl study room will have the new editorial boards posted. Some journals will also email you/leave candy in your mailbox.

Is that the one right by the student records office? Its going to suck finding out I didnt get onto a journal lol

Yup. But it's not the bulletin board right outside SRO, it's the one next to the various student organization bulletin boards. I think most journals do email you with congratulatory news, but if you want the sweet glory of seeing it on paper, just show up at 8:30ish and look for a large cluster of people. Good luck!

Is this serious? People care enough to crowd around before class and check? lol

I was told that everyone who really wanted on a journal will get one (I heard crim law you didnt even have to tryout last year). So since it doesnt matter what the secondary journal is...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Is this serious? People care enough to crowd around before class and check? lol

I was told that everyone who really wanted on a journal will get one (I heard crim law you didnt even have to tryout last year). So since it doesnt matter what the secondary journal is...

Relax bro, let them cook.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 am

Has anyone done a full-time or part-time externship during the semester?
Are the full-time ones hard to get? If someone has done one, was it a good experience?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am

Dang nothing in the mail box or inbox, looks like i didn't get anything

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Dang nothing in the mail box or inbox, looks like i didn't get anything

I wouldn't get too down on yourself bro. Everyone that I know so far who was accepted on a secondary journal only received one acceptance. I think it's just a case of a lot of people applying to the same journals. What two did you pick? If you don't feel like sharing on here just PM me.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Dang nothing in the mail box or inbox, looks like i didn't get anything

Did you check the boards? That's where the lists actually go with a deadline of this morning. My year the lists went up at o'dark thirty monday but further communication came later in the day.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I didn't get a journal after the first round my 1L year. Got an email a week or so later saying they were doing second round. Ended up on the managing board of that Journal. Be patient.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Is it crazy to be on two secondary journals 2L year while also being a Dillard? I'd imagine it would probably be too much work, but wanted to get a second opinion.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 pm

envisciguy wrote:Is it crazy to be on two secondary journals 2L year while also being a Dillard? I'd imagine it would probably be too much work, but wanted to get a second opinion.

It is literally the lowest conceivable return on investment you could obtain in law school. Journal work is pointless bullshit, nobody in the legal industry cares about it.

It's not a question of work, it's a question of utility (zero. zilch. nada).

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm

thesealocust wrote:
envisciguy wrote:Is it crazy to be on two secondary journals 2L year while also being a Dillard? I'd imagine it would probably be too much work, but wanted to get a second opinion.

It is literally the lowest conceivable return on investment you could obtain in law school. Journal work is pointless bullshit, nobody in the legal industry cares about it.

It's not a question of work, it's a question of utility (zero. zilch. nada).

Ha, understood. One journal it is. Thanks!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:43 am

Unlike colleges and law schools, firms don't care about how many extracurriculars you list on your resume. As long as you can say you've done something in law school besides studying, you'll be fine.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience with unbinding books?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Does anyone have any experience with unbinding books?

Is this some new study strategy?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Seems like a pain in the ass, but they sell lots of loose leaf editions for a little cheaper in the bookstore.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Seems like a pain in the ass, but they sell lots of loose leaf editions for a little cheaper in the bookstore.
Cool, I'm looking to not carry too much weight if I can help it.

Tim0thy222 wrote:

Is this some new study strategy?
No, just a physical health consideration. If you unbind books you can just take what readings you need on a certain day. Most of my business textbooks in undergrad were looseleaf editions for that very reason.

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:56 pm

No, just a physical health consideration. If you unbind books you can just take what readings you need on a certain day. Most of my business textbooks in undergrad were looseleaf editions for that very reason.

Do you even lift bro?? :P

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 pm

digifly wrote:

I do, but carrying a laptop + 2-3 casebooks to classes each day would get annoying very quickly (from a weight and a logistical perspective). A laptop and 1 binder would make things easier and I could continue to use my messenger bag instead of using a backpack.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm

You'll also have a locker at the school so you can put stuff there

mh013

Postby mh013 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Does anyone play golf at the course near campus? Is it expensive?

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:

I do, but carrying a laptop + 2-3 casebooks to classes each day would get annoying very quickly (from a weight and a logistical perspective). A laptop and 1 binder would make things easier and I could continue to use my messenger bag instead of using a backpack.

Don't worry, I was kiddin'. I'd use a Kindle if only it were feasible.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

mh013 wrote:Does anyone play golf at the course near campus? Is it expensive?

http://www.boarsheadinn.com/Golf/About-Birdwood/Green-Fees-Passes.asp

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:03 pm

digifly wrote:Don't worry, I was kiddin'. I'd use a Kindle if only it were feasible.
I'm planning on using a kindle for everything except the casebook.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

mh013 wrote:Does anyone play golf at the course near campus? Is it expensive?

I play there regularly. Most people who do get a semester pass which is $445 and gets you unlimited rounds. Otherwise the student rate varies from $20-$45 or so depending on the day.

My favorite course in the area is http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/. Very nice course and only a 20 minute drive from cville. They regularly run deals where you can get greens fees + cart for 20 bucks.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 pm

I play there regularly. Most people who do get a semester pass which is $445 and gets you unlimited rounds. Otherwise the student rate varies from $20-$45 or so depending on the day.

My favorite course in the area is http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/. Very nice course and only a 20 minute drive from cville. They regularly run deals where you can get greens fees + cart for 20 bucks.

Thanks! Time to get good at golf so I can impress fancy business people down the road.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”