UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Not that it matters for us mere mortals, but looking at the CoA clerkship prior to the SC clerkship is very informative. Our 'in' with many SCJs runs via (notorious SC feeder) judge Wilkinson, for example.

These things are very cloak and dagger. The hiring breakdown might reflect a certain ideology and its causes may have some ideological ties, but it's not the direct cause.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:Not that it matters for us mere mortals, but looking at the CoA clerkship prior to the SC clerkship is very informative. Our 'in' with many SCJs runs via (notorious SC feeder) judge Wilkinson, for example.

These things are very cloak and dagger. The hiring breakdown might reflect a certain ideology and its causes may have some ideological ties, but it's not the direct cause.

Yeah, it's the tie-in with Wilkinson that really does it for UVA. It looks like he normally hires one UVA student every year, and he sends an absurd amount of his clerks on to the S.Ct, as he's pretty much the top conservative feeder.

UVA also has a number of professors who clerked for conservatives judges, which also helps give the students a tie-in, since recommendations like that play an invaluable role in the process

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

Do any (1L) professors prohibit laptops in class?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Do any (1L) professors prohibit laptops in class?

Yes, but it's luck of the draw as to whether you end up with one (or more).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am

Several, desafortunadamente.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

bgdddymtty wrote:

Yes, but it's luck of the draw as to whether you end up with one (or more).
thesealocust wrote:
Several, desafortunadamente.
Knowing my luck...

It sucks that we won't find out until a few days before classes start! :(

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 am

Yeah, don't plan your whole academic strategy on using a laptop. 3/4 profs wouldn't allow them, 4/5 if you count LRW. You're in the same boat as everyone else in class, so don't stress.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 am

anon sequitur wrote:Yeah, don't plan your whole academic strategy on using a laptop. 3/4 profs wouldn't allow them, 4/5 if you count LRW. You're in the same boat as everyone else in class, so don't stress.

I think my 1L grades might have been significantly better if some of my profs had banned laptops. I don't have the self-discipline not to surf all class long.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 pm

I kind of hope my professors do. That way I'll actually pay attention and take notes.

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I kind of hope my professors do. That way I'll actually pay attention and take notes fall asleep.

FTFM.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm

While I was at ASD I noticed that all the liquor stores seemed to be owned/operated by the state -- I saw lots of VA-ABCs, for instance. Is booze really expensive in VA because of this?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

danitt wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I kind of hope my professors do. That way I'll actually pay attention and take notes fall asleep.

FTFM.

Law school is a rigorous mental exercise. Sleep will be the last thing on your mind as you sit on the edge of your seat, enthralled in the intellectual goodness of 18th century English Common Law. Caffeine is for the masses, Blackstone is for the aspiring legal minds.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

North wrote:While I was at ASD I noticed that all the liquor stores seemed to be owned/operated by the state -- I saw lots of VA-ABCs, for instance. Is booze really expensive in VA because of this?

All the liquor stores are state-run, and that's the only place you can buy liquor. Grocery stores, to my knowledge, are only allowed to sell beer and wine. The benefit of this is that it's all uniform across the state, and can see every price online. You can compare for yourself to see if you think it's expensive:

--LinkRemoved--

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm

how big are football and basketball games amongst the law students? my UG has no sports really and i'd be lying to myself if one of the major selling points of UVA wasnt ACC sports

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 am

Aside from the first football game at home (was that homecoming?) I didn't hear anything about it. But I know some people go to the games. If you're into it, you can find other people to go with I'm sure.

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 am

armedwithamind wrote:how big are football and basketball games amongst the law students? my UG has no sports really and i'd be lying to myself if one of the major selling points of UVA wasnt ACC sports

I'm not sure how big they are with the rest of the students but my friends and I pre-gamed/tailgated all the big football games plus a few more. We also went to 80% of the basketball games-the student section is right behind the benches and it's fairly easy to get good seats. They just completed a new indoor football facility and the recruiting class has been trending up lately. We also have better football opponents this year (which could either be exciting or a disaster).

The basketball team had a stellar freshman class this year and should be solid for the next three years.

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 pm

sccjnthn wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:how big are football and basketball games amongst the law students? my UG has no sports really and i'd be lying to myself if one of the major selling points of UVA wasnt ACC sports

I'm not sure how big they are with the rest of the students but my friends and I pre-gamed/tailgated all the big football games plus a few more. We also went to 80% of the basketball games-the student section is right behind the benches and it's fairly easy to get good seats. They just completed a new indoor football facility and the recruiting class has been trending up lately. We also have better football opponents this year (which could either be exciting or a disaster).

The basketball team had a stellar freshman class this year and should be solid for the next three years.

I'll add that my friends and I went to every single football home game the last two years and multiple basketball games. The football team also had a top 25 recruiting class this year including the first 5 star recruit (RB - Mizzel which I can't spell) since 2005.

The football schedule while likely to be exciting is also likely to be a disaster. It is fun to go and watch but our sports teams aren't particularly great. Better then average but not top echelon. Coming from a school with no teams, its awesome. If I was coming from Bama undergrad I'd be embarrassed.

EDIT: Also homecoming is like the first home game in October. It is not the first home game of the year.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 pm

5ky wrote:
North wrote:While I was at ASD I noticed that all the liquor stores seemed to be owned/operated by the state -- I saw lots of VA-ABCs, for instance. Is booze really expensive in VA because of this?

All the liquor stores are state-run, and that's the only place you can buy liquor. Grocery stores, to my knowledge, are only allowed to sell beer and wine. The benefit of this is that it's all uniform across the state, and can see every price online. You can compare for yourself to see if you think it's expensive:

--LinkRemoved--

Scotch is way too expensive.

The governor was going to privatize liquor sales, but then backed down when he realized what a cash cow he was sitting on. Apparently this is one area where it's okay for the government to control the market.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:21 am

So - grocery stores still sell beer, right? What's the variety like? I'm not entirely complete without my IPAs! :P

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 am

digifly wrote:So - grocery stores still sell beer, right? What's the variety like? I'm not entirely complete without my IPAs! :P

People love their beer. Lots in the groceries and lots of specialty beer shops (Beer Run, etc.) plus local breweries around the area.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 pm

So I believe journal decisions are going to come out tomorrow. Where do we look to find out if we made the first cut? lol

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:So I believe journal decisions are going to come out tomorrow. Where do we look to find out if we made the first cut? lol

The bulletin board right outside of the fish bowl study room will have the new editorial boards posted. Some journals will also email you/leave candy in your mailbox.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:So I believe journal decisions are going to come out tomorrow. Where do we look to find out if we made the first cut? lol

The bulletin board right outside of the fish bowl study room will have the new editorial boards posted. Some journals will also email you/leave candy in your mailbox.

Is that the one right by the student records office? Its going to suck finding out I didnt get onto a journal lol

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:

Is that the one right by the student records office? Its going to suck finding out I didnt get onto a journal lol

Yup. But it's not the bulletin board right outside SRO, it's the one next to the various student organization bulletin boards. I think most journals do email you with congratulatory news, but if you want the sweet glory of seeing it on paper, just show up at 8:30ish and look for a large cluster of people. Good luck!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't remember emails (at least first thing), but I may be wrong or things may have changed.

Don't let it stress you too much. Journals are awful, especially when you have to do work on them as 1L. If you do miss getting on one, it will absolutely not destroy your career prospects. Make sure you've got some legal stuff to slap on your resume so you look involved, keep your chin up, and it'll be alright - I know people without journals who got great jobs.

If you do get on a journal and it has a bar night thing, please by all means go and drink their free booze :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”