UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
albanach

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Is it worth doing the MBA with a very sold business background or would the business law program be more appropriate? I think I remember hearing that people with business backgrounds skip over some coursework in the business law program (accounting/finance) or go into more intensive versions of that coursework.

You don't need an MBA for a job as an associate in a law firm. If there comes a time later when your having an MBA will benefit your employer, they will pay for you to do an executive MBA.

If you want to do corporate transactional stuff, the law and business program will be all you need and more.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 pm

digifly wrote:
mh013 wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm really feeling UVA right now (I got a nice scholarship) and I will likely attend, with the main competitors being Penn and NYU.

Does anyone know about people getting jobs in CA out of OCI?
I have ties (undergrad in LA).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PM'd ya!

Aren't you an 0L as well?

UVA does well in CA, there is a group on campus called the West Coast Wahoos (WCW) and they are really great. Everyone in it is from/interested in going to CA. I have multiple friends going to LA/OC firms (Latham, Quinn, OMM). You will be fine getting to CA with strong ties. Also, if you have good grades, your ties dont even have to be that strong.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks!

I have a completely different and unrelated question.
What type of music do people in Virginia usually listen to?
Or do enough people from around the country go to UVA that there is no consensus whatsoever?
Back when I was considering Vandy I heard that people went to Honky-Tonk bars and I found this to be hilarious.
Is it anything like that at UVA? (I've only lived in various West Coast locations so I have absolutely no idea what to expect haha)

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 pm

mh013 wrote:Thanks!

Or do enough people from around the country go to UVA that there is no consensus whatsoever?
Back when I was considering Vandy I heard that people went to Honky-Tonk bars and I found this to be hilarious.
Is it anything like that at UVA? (I've only lived in various West Coast locations so I have absolutely no idea what to expect haha)
Incoming student here, but DMB started in Charlottesville so I'm guessing some of that?

On another note also, physical textbooks v. iPad v. Kindle v. combinations of those (looseleaf + ebook). What have people had success with? Also, is a printer recommended?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 pm

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

Incoming student here, but DMB started in Charlottesville so I'm guessing some of that?

On another note also, physical textbooks v. iPad v. Kindle v. combinations of those (looseleaf + ebook). What have people had success with? Also, is a printer recommended?

Definitely physical textbook. You'll likely want to highlight and write in the book, plus most exams are open book which I believe have to be your physical textbook. I haven't seen anyone use an ebook in class. A printer isn't really necessary since there are plenty of printers in the law school and you have a $25 balance to use each semester. Can't hurt to have one though.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 pm

envisciguy wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

Definitely physical textbook. You'll likely want to highlight and write in the book, plus most exams are open book which I believe have to be your physical textbook. I haven't seen anyone use an ebook in class. A printer isn't really necessary since there are plenty of printers in the law school and you have a $25 balance to use each semester. Can't hurt to have one though.
Thanks, I'll hope my textbooks have the looseleaf+ebook option so I can bring what I need to class/highlight but also read on the go easily without taking everything. Does physical textbooks also count for supplements (i.e. the E&Es)? Some of those I have heard aren't allowed on exams and I don't know if those are typically highlighted when read through. Also, do students typically run low on printing (/how much does $25 get you in pages)?

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

As far as taking things on the go, lockers really cut down on the weight of textbooks being a problem, but if you want to use an e-book for everyday reading, I'm sure that's fine. The use of supplements for an exam will vary by professor. Some let you use literally everything possible, while others will only let you use the textbook. And I don't know about other people, but I highlighted and wrote in my horn books too, though that's all a matter of personal preference.

For printing, each page costs 5 cents, so $25 lasts a fairly long time.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 pm

envisciguy wrote:As far as taking things on the go, lockers really cut down on the weight of textbooks being a problem, but if you want to use an e-book for everyday reading, I'm sure that's fine. The use of supplements for an exam will vary by professor. Some let you use literally everything possible, while others will only let you use the textbook. And I don't know about other people, but I highlighted and wrote in my horn books too, though that's all a matter of personal preference.

I think printing costs are 7 or 8 cents a page now

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

5ky wrote:
envisciguy wrote:As far as taking things on the go, lockers really cut down on the weight of textbooks being a problem, but if you want to use an e-book for everyday reading, I'm sure that's fine. The use of supplements for an exam will vary by professor. Some let you use literally everything possible, while others will only let you use the textbook. And I don't know about other people, but I highlighted and wrote in my horn books too, though that's all a matter of personal preference.

I think printing costs are 7 or 8 cents a page now

I'm pretty sure it's still 5. My print history as recent as last week on lawweb says 5 cents a page.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 am

You can buy your E&Es at the PILA book sale the first week of semester. I think they're $20 each now. If you don't mind textbooks with highlighting, you can probably get most your textbooks there too.

I don't think an e-book will ever be as convenient for law school as the paper equivalent. Unless you're directed to your casebook by a specific exam question (rare, but does happen) then you're unlikely to have time in an exam to have any time to look at your casebook.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey guys, so UVA is basically at the top of my list. I'm applying next cycle and hoping for the best. Can you guys fill me in on the softball at UVA? Who do you guys play? How many games? Do you guys ban certain bats? When do you guys play? I'm assuming co-ed, right? How much does a season run? Helmet required?

I once worked at an adult softball complex for years while in HS so I'm well aware how enjoyable it can be. Where I worked it wasn’t odd to see someone leave in an ambulance every night or see drunken grown men fight each other over softball. I really hope UVA has epic softball.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Hey guys, so UVA is basically at the top of my list. I'm applying next cycle and hoping for the best. Can you guys fill me in on the softball at UVA? Who do you guys play? How many games? Do you guys ban certain bats? When do you guys play? I'm assuming co-ed, right? How much does a season run? Helmet required?

I once worked at an adult softball complex for years while in HS so I'm well aware how enjoyable it can be. Where I worked it wasn’t odd to see someone leave in an ambulance every night or see drunken grown men fight each other over softball. I really hope UVA has epic softball.

We have a website, if that tells you anything: NGSL.com

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Oh rad. Thanks for that!

mh013

Postby mh013 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Do people tend to get bored and restless due to the small-town vibe?
What do people tend to do for fun other than drinking and softball (not that I remotely dislike either-it sounds fun).
I grew up in a biggish city and went to undergrad in LA so I am kind of nervous about going to school outside of a metro area.

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

mh013 wrote:Do people tend to get bored and restless due to the small-town vibe?
What do people tend to do for fun other than drinking and softball (not that I remotely dislike either-it sounds fun).
I grew up in a biggish city and went to undergrad in LA so I am kind of nervous about going to school outside of a metro area.

According to this guy I spoke to on Saturday night Charlottesville has a great culture with a lot of shit to do.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

According to this guy I spoke to on Saturday night Charlottesville has a great culture with a lot of shit to do.

I hope so! I'm going to the admitted students days this weekend so hopefully I like it. UVA is definitely up there on my list!

Postby 005618502 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:09 pm

mh013 wrote:Do people tend to get bored and restless due to the small-town vibe?

I have the same background basically and I find plenty to do. You will have more to do than you will have time for. Between apartment parties, the downtown area, the Corner, the wineries, and trying to spend time with friends... you will wish you had more time.

defdef

Postby defdef » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

I was contacted by a big law alumni and I sent a reply the following day. At the time the person seemed very interested and offered to speak to me over the phone or via email. However, I didn't hear back for about a week and a half so I sent a short follow up email explaining there was no rush but I just wanted to make sure my reply didn't get lost. A week after my follow up, still no reply. Should I contact the alumni office again or should I go out on a limb and directly contact an alumni in the geographic area I'm interested in?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

defdef wrote:I was contacted by a big law alumni and I sent a reply the following day. At the time the person seemed very interested and offered to speak to me over the phone or via email. However, I didn't hear back for about a week and a half so I sent a short follow up email explaining there was no rush but I just wanted to make sure my reply didn't get lost. A week after my follow up, still no reply. Should I contact the alumni office again or should I go out on a limb and directly contact an alumni in the geographic area I'm interested in?

I would definitely not contact that alumni again. You can ask career services for a different contact, just know, they really are not going to be able to tell you anything that you dont already know from this site and other sources (at least from what I have heard about people who contacted alumni last year)

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:45 pm

2Ls and 3Ls how has UVA placed in NYC comparatively to its peers (M/P)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 am

armedwithamind wrote:2Ls and 3Ls how has UVA placed in NYC comparatively to its peers (M/P)

Worse than Penn and better than Mich? That's my guess, but nobody is going to have a clear answer for you on that. I'm 100% sure it has to be worse than Penn, though.

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am

Are there any current UVA students who are (interested in) pursuing public service employment? If so, are you involved in any of UVA's programs/clinics? UVA's PI offerings look incredible out of almost any school into which I have looked. I would love to hear a current student's perspective on this area.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am

5ky wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:2Ls and 3Ls how has UVA placed in NYC comparatively to its peers (M/P)

Worse than Penn and better than Mich? That's my guess, but nobody is going to have a clear answer for you on that. I'm 100% sure it has to be worse than Penn, though.

Do you have any anecdotes of people getting NYC median or below?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am

armedwithamind wrote:
5ky wrote:

Do you have any anecdotes of people getting NYC median or below?

Sure - this one time, some dude I knew got NYC. He was below median.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”