UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
digifly

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby digifly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am

This is what really matters:

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 pm

digifly wrote:You guys need to start freaking out about housing again.
I'm starting to feel...relaxed...

Haha, I'll bring that topic back!

Any of you current students care to dish on any of the below places? I know the Pavilion for example is brand new so there's probably not much to say there, but in terms of quality and proximity to the law school -- any thoughts? I'm perusing all the one bedroom options they have available. I'll probably be living in one of them with my SO (they're all probably gonna be small and comfy, but hey we'll take what we can get! Good thing we get along so great! ;) Haha).

Ivy Gardens (All the reviews online are HORRIBLE so I'm hoping someone's got some good stuff to say about them maybe!)
GrandMarc at the Corner
Pavilion at North Grounds
Stonefield Commons
Any of the Arlington Court Commons listings (I think I read elsewhere on here NOT to rent from realpropertyinc. but wanted to get some more opinions)
University Heights
Eagles Landing
The Barringer at Monroe Lane (looks ridiculously expensive but thought I'd include all types of options for now!)

I know the Jefferson ones aren't options anymore... Any other obvious options I've left off anyone might recommend looking into?

I'm definitely out-of-state too so I can't just pop up to C-ville any random time to look around like I wish I could!

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:35 pm

lookingin wrote:
digifly wrote:You guys need to start freaking out about housing again.
I'm starting to feel...relaxed...

Haha, I'll bring that topic back!

Any of you current students care to dish on any of the below places? I know the Pavilion for example is brand new so there's probably not much to say there, but in terms of quality and proximity to the law school -- any thoughts? I'm perusing all the one bedroom options they have available. I'll probably be living in one of them with my SO (they're all probably gonna be small and comfy, but hey we'll take what we can get! Good thing we get along so great! ;) Haha).

Ivy Gardens (All the reviews online are HORRIBLE so I'm hoping someone's got some good stuff to say about them maybe!)
GrandMarc at the Corner
Pavilion at North Grounds
Stonefield Commons
Any of the Arlington Court Commons listings (I think I read elsewhere on here NOT to rent from realpropertyinc. but wanted to get some more opinions)
University Heights
Eagles Landing
The Barringer at Monroe Lane (looks ridiculously expensive but thought I'd include all types of options for now!)

I know the Jefferson ones aren't options anymore... Any other obvious options I've left off anyone might recommend looking into?

I'm definitely out-of-state too so I can't just pop up to C-ville any random time to look around like I wish I could!

Jefferson Ridge and Huntington Village (Ivy Garden's slightly nicer neighbor) are two other options.

I've lived in Ivy for the past two years and it's fine. There's some wear and tear in the kitchen and in the bathroom, but other than the really weak soundproofing (I can hear my upstairs neighbor sneeze), you get what you pay for: proximity to the law school and the North Grounds gym. Management is curt but they'll fix your leaking ceiling or clogged drain the next day. My only serious complaint is the Internet problems at Ivy. We currently have a company that absolutely sucks balls with regular outages and horrific customer service. They've been sending emails out about possibly switching over to another company but just a heads-up. Also, if you're into natural light, I would shell out the extra $50 or so dollars a month to get an apartment with a balcony. I had a subterranean apartment my first year and it just felt dark and stuffy all the time.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 am

Props to UVA students and alum for reaching out NON-STOP. Very helpful!

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 am

bluecrab5448 wrote: Jefferson Ridge and Huntington Village (Ivy Garden's slightly nicer neighbor) are two other options.

I've lived in Ivy for the past two years and it's fine. There's some wear and tear in the kitchen and in the bathroom, but other than the really weak soundproofing (I can hear my upstairs neighbor sneeze), you get what you pay for: proximity to the law school and the North Grounds gym. Management is curt but they'll fix your leaking ceiling or clogged drain the next day. My only serious complaint is the Internet problems at Ivy. We currently have a company that absolutely sucks balls with regular outages and horrific customer service. They've been sending emails out about possibly switching over to another company but just a heads-up. Also, if you're into natural light, I would shell out the extra $50 or so dollars a month to get an apartment with a balcony. I had a subterranean apartment my first year and it just felt dark and stuffy all the time.

Thanks, I'm looking into those now too!

And yes thank you everybody for being so responsive and helpful :) Ya'll are the best!

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am

lookingin wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote: Jefferson Ridge and Huntington Village (Ivy Garden's slightly nicer neighbor) are two other options.

Thanks, I'm looking into those now too!

And yes thank you everybody for being so responsive and helpful :) Ya'll are the best!

If you're moving in with an SO, do not live in Ivy. Same goes for GrandMarc, which is almost all undergrads. If don't mind living farther away, Jefferson Ridge, Eagles Landing, Woodlands, and Villas at Southern Ridge (best deal of all those) are nice places for couples, although I think they're a bit of a hike. Huntington Village is a little classier than Ivy, so worth looking into. There are also a number of apartments in the Preston/Rugby area that are a little quieter and nicer than Ivy but not too far away from the school. Finally, the Stonefield places are brand new (don't think they're even done building them yet) but they'll probably be nice and that's also not too far away from school.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

anon sequitur wrote:
l0g0s wrote:Does anyone here have any experience with clinics? I'm specifically interested in the prosecution clinic, but also criminal defense and immigration, as well as experiences in general.
Are they generally difficult to get into or are there enough spots for pretty much everyone who wants to do them? Could you do one 2L and 3L year (and would you recommend that)?

I believe both the prosecution and defense clinics are for 3L's only, you need a 3L practioner's certificate. I don't think they're hard the ones you mentioned are hard to get into, but the Supreme Court clinic, and I think the innocence clinic are hard to get into, maybe some others, too.

I believe this is right. Pretty sure the prosecution and defense clinics require practice certificates, so only open to 3Ls. I don't know about competitiveness, but I don't get the sense that they're overly competitive. And I know there are several 2Ls doing the Innocence clinic, so it's definitely doable. I also know people doing the international clinic and the children's clinic as 2Ls. And yes, you can do one clinic your 2L year and one your 3L year.

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

dixon02 wrote:
If you're moving in with an SO, do not live in Ivy. Same goes for GrandMarc, which is almost all undergrads. If don't mind living farther away, Jefferson Ridge, Eagles Landing, Woodlands, and Villas at Southern Ridge (best deal of all those) are nice places for couples, although I think they're a bit of a hike. Huntington Village is a little classier than Ivy, so worth looking into. There are also a number of apartments in the Preston/Rugby area that are a little quieter and nicer than Ivy but not too far away from the school. Finally, the Stonefield places are brand new (don't think they're even done building them yet) but they'll probably be nice and that's also not too far away from school.

Awesome, all good stuff to know! Thanks so much :)

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Any idea when we are supposed to get J-Term grades?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Heat wrote:Any idea when we are supposed to get J-Term grades?

The deadline is mid-March, I think. Looks like about half of them are already in based on course evals.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Anyone know how long it takes to get MPRE results?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Question for current students:

Have you received any need based aid?

I was accepted ED so I am not holding my breath for merit based aid, but I made 25k last year, and my parents each made less than 15k (pretty much only social security), so I think if need based aid really exists I've got a decent shot at it.

Also, does anyone know when we'll hear back from the financial aid office? I just submitted the NeedAccess and FAFSA a few days ago.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. Didn't want to flip back through 279 pages of this thread to find it :D

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Need-based aid = student loans.

I had an EFC of 0 and received $0 of free money due to that.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 pm

UVAIce wrote:Need-based aid = student loans.

That's too bad. I've seen some people on TLS say that, but they all seemed to have parents making decent money, so I was hoping the broke parents thing would change that.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
UVAIce wrote:Need-based aid = student loans.

That's too bad. I've seen some people on TLS say that, but they all seemed to have parents making decent money, so I was hoping the broke parents thing would change that.

Sorry, HYS are your only shots for need-based aid.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 pm

I believe only a few schools like HYS, Berkeley, and GULC give bona fide need based grants. It's tough, every dollar they spend on need based aid is a dollar they can't use on merit aid to keep their numbers up. And I think there are a lot of applicants who are independent, worked low paying jobs after graduating, and have EFCs near zero.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm

anon sequitur wrote:I believe only a few schools like HYS, Berkeley, and GULC give bona fide need based grants. It's tough, every dollar they spend on need based aid is a dollar they can't use on merit aid to keep their numbers up. And I think there are a lot of applicants who are independent, worked low paying jobs after graduating, and have EFCs near zero.

HYS doesnt do merit based aid

I dont think Berkeley does need based aid really..... am I wrong?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:HYS doesnt do merit based aid

I dont think Berkeley does need based aid really..... am I wrong?

Yeah, I know that GULC does, and I was told by a number of Berkeley students that they do, read it in their forums last year when I was applying as well. I imagine it's much less than at hys, but don't really know. And yeah, you're right about the merit aid at HYS, I just meant its hard for the mere mortal schools to give out money that doesn't directly boost their medians.

I think need based grant aid is ridiculous anyway, they should use that money to beef up LRAP. no need to subsidize a broke dude who ends up getting biglaw over a guy who made 60k/year before law school and saved up some money so he could go to law school and go into public service.

TryHard

Postby TryHard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 am

I hear posters like BruceWayne speaking so much about how UVA (and other similar law schools) is a terrible investment at sticker price. I wanted to get others opinions. I'd love to also tell you that I will work extremely hard to be at the top of my class, but I hear that is what everyone thinks and I have no way of differentiating myself from others. However, class placement seems to be the crux of the issue - if you place high in your class your future is bright and if you place low your future is all but destroyed.

Anyway, thoughts...?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 am

TryHard wrote:I hear posters like BruceWayne speaking so much about how UVA (and other similar law schools) is a terrible investment at sticker price. I wanted to get others opinions. I'd love to also tell you that I will work extremely hard to be at the top of my class, but I hear that is what everyone thinks and I have no way of differentiating myself from others. However, class placement seems to be the crux of the issue - if you place high in your class your future is bright and if you place low your future is all but destroyed.

Anyway, thoughts...?

You basically summed it up. UVA is a great school and, on average, easily worth the price. But you won't have the average results, you will have your result, which could mean lots of debt and struggle for employment, or could mean a job you love that pays you well.

Buy the ticket, take the ride?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 am

thesealocust wrote:
TryHard wrote:I hear posters like BruceWayne speaking so much about how UVA (and other similar law schools) is a terrible investment at sticker price. I wanted to get others opinions. I'd love to also tell you that I will work extremely hard to be at the top of my class, but I hear that is what everyone thinks and I have no way of differentiating myself from others. However, class placement seems to be the crux of the issue - if you place high in your class your future is bright and if you place low your future is all but destroyed.

Anyway, thoughts...?

You basically summed it up. UVA is a great school and, on average, easily worth the price. But you won't have the average results, you will have your result, which could mean lots of debt and struggle for employment, or could mean a job you love that pays you well.

Buy the ticket, take the ride?

I will agree with this but add an opinion in the other direction. I, as well as many of my friends, have 1L SA positions lined up. I didnt get mine until grades came out, so in my case, my good grades likely helped a lot. Though, I do have 3 friends who got offers at market paying firms before grades were ever released. This is not typical, but it just goes to show how far the UVA name goes in certain markets. I think you should definitely take into account what market you are targeting when making your decision. For me, I am very happy at UVA at sticker (would be more happy with a scholly, but what can you do).

But yes, everyone (almost) comes in thinking they are going to work hard and be at the top, the problem is everyone cant realistically do that....so there is definitely some risk involved. One thing that helped me was getting in early contact with a couple 2/3Ls who did well to get some tips. This site also helps a lot and people on here will go out of their way to help you as they remember being in your shoes. So dont be afraid to reach out.

TryHard

Postby TryHard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 am

I attended UVA as an undergrad, where I lived with two law school students. We became good friends and still keep in touch with on another. One of them works as a tax lawyer in DC and the other was a clerk for a supreme court justice and is now at a great biglaw firm, where they took care of his student loan debt :lol: .

Does UVA OCI put me in a good position to capitalize on these relationships? More to the point - is law a "who you know" kinda field?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out what advantages I have going into law. I know I can put in the hours. I know I can research great studying techniques and not waste time doing pointless work that plague many 1Ls. Of course, I don't think I'm particularly special in this respect, but I must say that history has shown that I achieve great things when I point all my efforts into something.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 am

Hey all, I'm curious if any grads/students can share with me good/bad experiences re the pursuit and attainment of both clerkships and opportunities to litigate at the appellate level as a student and beyond. Thanks!

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

TryHard wrote:I attended UVA as an undergrad, where I lived with two law school students. We became good friends and still keep in touch with on another. One of them works as a tax lawyer in DC and the other was a clerk for a supreme court justice and is now at a great biglaw firm, where they took care of his student loan debt :lol: .

Does UVA OCI put me in a good position to capitalize on these relationships? More to the point - is law a "who you know" kinda field?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out what advantages I have going into law. I know I can put in the hours. I know I can research great studying techniques and not waste time doing pointless work that plague many 1Ls. Of course, I don't think I'm particularly special in this respect, but I must say that history has shown that I achieve great things when I point all my efforts into something.

Knowing people obviously can help, but unfortunately your friends will likely only be able to help you if you have strong grades. Law placement after school is mostly about grades, school, resume, and a little bit personality. In that sense, I'd say it is less a who-you-know and more a straight meritocracy. Your friends may be able to get you in the room at a big firm, but thats about it. Even partners can't really hire people who they cant sell to their recruiting committees.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

TryHard wrote:I attended UVA as an undergrad, where I lived with two law school students. We became good friends and still keep in touch with on another. One of them works as a tax lawyer in DC and the other was a clerk for a supreme court justice and is now at a great biglaw firm, where they took care of his student loan debt :lol: .

At a good law school, unlike within the average population, history has shown every single person the same thing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”