UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 am

digifly wrote:

I am from SoCal... it has lows in the 40s/50s ALL the time. For example, the low today is 37 and high is 57. I hate when people try to make it sound like its actually always 70s in Cali.

First of all, the rough winter thing was a joke. Laughing at 51 being "early summer weather was not." You ever see a high of 51 in early summer that wasn't an oddity? Sure it's 57 right now in OC, but in two days we're back at 75. And the average is consistently higher. Unless you are comparing CA in the middle of the night with the East Coast at midday. Then sure, the weather is the same.

That graph is actually pretty crazy to see. Damn CA and their perfect weather
Though I will say one thing I miss is how it gets "cool" at night even during the summer. I guess my points are pretty relative. I think of Cville as freezing, CA as cold and TX as hot lol.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Though I will say one thing I miss is how it gets "cool" at night even during the summer. I guess my points are pretty relative. I think of Cville as freezing, CA as cold and TX as hot lol.

Today it was so cold, I had to put on flip flops when I went to grab my newspaper.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:18 pm

digifly wrote:

Today it was so cold, I had to put on flip flops when I went to grab my newspaper.

:lol:

Saw your scholly offer. Congrats man. You decided on UVA?

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks! I'm leaning heavily towards UVA. I want to practice in CA eventually but it's not top priority, so the scholarship is influencing my decision a lot. As of now I'm held at Harvard and expecting dings/waitlists at the higher ranked schools I haven't heard back from yet; that's all okay, though, Cville seems like a great place to call home.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 am

ercmilla wrote:I grew up in Virginia and actually attended UVA for undergrad. Upon graduation, I stayed in Virginia and worked for some time. About a year ago, I moved to Georgia (got a Georgia drivers license, Georgia address, and file taxes here because it's where I receive my check). However, I still have a residence in Virginia and I live/work in there for roughly 2 months every year. Would I be considered an in-state student by UVA at this point?

Either way, I figure it won't hurt to at least apply. Nothing to lose, lots to gain.

Someone else posted this, but it's worth a read—this is the statute on in-state tuition http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... cod+23-7.4

It says that to get in-state tuition, you must "establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the alleged entitlement [which would be the first day of school], he was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if such existed."

"Domicile" is defined as "the present, fixed home of an individual to which he returns following temporary absences and at which he intends to stay indefinitely. No individual may have more than one domicile at a time. Domicile, once established, shall not be affected by (i) mere transient or temporary physical presence in another jurisdiction or (ii) the establishment and maintenance of a place of residence in another jurisdiction for the purpose of maintaining a joint household with an active duty United States military spouse."

Notice the "intends to stay" language. To prove that, you must prove "domiciliary intent" which is "present intent to remain [in Virginia] indefinitely." The statue says that "[A]ll of the following applicable factors shall be considered [to determine domciliary intent]: continuous residence for at least one year prior to the date of alleged entitlement, except in the event of the establishment and maintenance of a place of residence in another jurisdiction for the purpose of maintaining a joint household with an active duty United States military spouse; state to which income taxes are filed or paid; driver's license; motor vehicle registration; voter registration; employment; property ownership; sources of financial support; military records; a written offer and acceptance of employment following graduation; and any other social or economic relationships with the Commonwealth and other jurisdictions."

To me, your time in Georgia sounds like a temporary absence for work, and that you never gave up your domicile in Virginia. In other words, you never intended to stay in Georgia indefinitely, and always considered Virginia your permanent home, as reflected by the fact that you kept a residence here. But I wonder if your absence for the past year will go against a finding of "domiciliary intent." Probably the kind of question that you can only get answered by applying for in-state tuition.

efin12

Postby efin12 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 am

StanleyF wrote:
ercmilla wrote:I grew up in Virginia and actually attended UVA for undergrad. Upon graduation, I stayed in Virginia and worked for some time. About a year ago, I moved to Georgia (got a Georgia drivers license, Georgia address, and file taxes here because it's where I receive my check). However, I still have a residence in Virginia and I live/work in there for roughly 2 months every year. Would I be considered an in-state student by UVA at this point?

Either way, I figure it won't hurt to at least apply. Nothing to lose, lots to gain.

I was in a similar situation as you when I applied for residency. I work in DC but still have a Virginia address. When I spoke to the residency office, they said once you establish Viriginia as your domicile, you can temporarily live outside the state, as long as you don't do anything to indicate an intent to establish domicile elsewhere. I made sure not to get a DC license or register to vote in DC so I wouldn't lose Virginia as my domicile. They granted me in-state status as long as I file taxes in both DC and VA. They might be willing to offer you the same situation as long as you file in GA and VA, but I'm not sure how they will handle you getting a GA license, which indicates intent to establish GA as your domicile. That being said, each situation is different, so your best bet would be to call and ask. The first time I called, the woman basically said I had to move to Arlington (ew) if I wanted to still be a VA resident, but I applied anyways and the second person I spoke to was much more understanding.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Anybody have a rough idea what the top 10% cutoff is at graduation, year-to-year? High 3.6s?

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 am

You guys need to start freaking out about housing again.
I'm starting to feel...relaxed...

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 am

5ky wrote:Anybody have a rough idea what the top 10% cutoff is at graduation, year-to-year? High 3.6s?

Slightly lower.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=177572

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am

albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:Anybody have a rough idea what the top 10% cutoff is at graduation, year-to-year? High 3.6s?

Slightly lower.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=177572

ty

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 am

The NeedAccess app was the biggest load of BS I've ever seen. Hopefully that was submitted correctly.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 am

digifly wrote:You guys need to start freaking out about housing again.
I'm starting to feel...relaxed...

Hmm indeed. Well, I found a place still available on Arlington and after observing the crazy TLS housing rush was immediately like

--ImageRemoved--

so I could nab it.

Signed my lease yesterday. I really hope it turns out OK for me. :lol:

And with all the use of the word domicile on this page, all I can think of is Breaking Bad. :oops:

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Still missing a grade. Lolz

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Still missing a grade. Lolz

I just got my last one. Happy Valentine's Day from SRO.

BSC

Postby BSC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Quick question: There's an alumni reception in my city next wednesday that admitted students are invited to. Should I attend? I don't know anyone else going, and I don't really know what this is. Anyone have experience with this?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:35 pm

BSC wrote:Quick question: There's an alumni reception in my city next wednesday that admitted students are invited to. Should I attend? I don't know anyone else going, and I don't really know what this is. Anyone have experience with this?

Free food and drink, you might get to meet the dean, he goes to those sometimes. If you like this sort of thing, or are really big on "networking", I'd go. I didn't go to any of them.

hooma

Postby hooma » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 pm

BSC wrote:Quick question: There's an alumni reception in my city next wednesday that admitted students are invited to. Should I attend? I don't know anyone else going, and I don't really know what this is. Anyone have experience with this?

I went to two and enjoyed both. I spent the majority of time talking to alumni at both events, but I also got to meet a handful of my future classmates. If you don't have anything else to do I would go, but you're not missing a lot if you can't.

BSC

Postby BSC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the responses! I think I'm gonna go

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I see that some grades still aren't in, but when are last semester's grade distributions posted?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 pm

seahawk32 wrote:I see that some grades still aren't in, but when are last semester's grade distributions posted?

2 years ago they were available in February or March, but last year they waited and didn't put them out until maybe the end of summer, when they released the spring ones.

Twiqbal

Postby Twiqbal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 pm

5ky wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:I see that some grades still aren't in, but when are last semester's grade distributions posted?

2 years ago they were available in February or March, but last year they waited and didn't put them out until maybe the end of summer, when they released the spring ones.

When you say grade distributions are you referring to the particular class distributions available in the library or a GPA distribution for the 1L, 2L, ad 3L classes? If the latter, where is this posted? If the former, are these also posted online somewhere?

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 pm

5ky wrote:2 years ago they were available in February or March, but last year they waited and didn't put them out until maybe the end of summer, when they released the spring ones.

Thanks.

Twiqbal wrote:When you say grade distributions are you referring to the particular class distributions available in the library or a GPA distribution for the 1L, 2L, ad 3L classes? If the latter, where is this posted? If the former, are these also posted online somewhere?

Particular classes. I don't know if the latter exists.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, don't think the latter exists. The grade breakdowns for individual classes can be found in binders in the library and Student Records. Don't think they put them online.

l0g0s

Postby l0g0s » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Does anyone here have any experience with clinics? I'm specifically interested in the prosecution clinic, but also criminal defense and immigration, as well as experiences in general.
Are they generally difficult to get into or are there enough spots for pretty much everyone who wants to do them? Could you do one 2L and 3L year (and would you recommend that)?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 pm

l0g0s wrote:Does anyone here have any experience with clinics? I'm specifically interested in the prosecution clinic, but also criminal defense and immigration, as well as experiences in general.
Are they generally difficult to get into or are there enough spots for pretty much everyone who wants to do them? Could you do one 2L and 3L year (and would you recommend that)?

I believe both the prosecution and defense clinics are for 3L's only, you need a 3L practioner's certificate. I don't think they're hard the ones you mentioned are hard to get into, but the Supreme Court clinic, and I think the innocence clinic are hard to get into, maybe some others, too.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”