UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Still missing grades. Lulz.

North

Postby North » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm

How is the library? I prefer to study there rather than at home where I get nothing done. Is it open 24/7? Cozy? Plenty of nooks?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:27 pm

North wrote:How is the library? I prefer to study there rather than at home where I get nothing done. Is it open 24/7? Cozy? Plenty of nooks?

Not cozy, not 24/7 but plenty of nooks

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:47 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:plenty of nooks

hey-o

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
North wrote:How is the library? I prefer to study there rather than at home where I get nothing done. Is it open 24/7? Cozy? Plenty of nooks?

Not cozy, not 24/7 but plenty of nooks

However, the school is open 24x7 and there are several places with desks and chairs that you can pick from. There's also a 24x7 printer available. So if you want to work at school in the hours after the library closes, it shouldn't be a problem. That said, I was in overnight on one of the journal tryout weekends and they decided to test every fire alarm in the building for about an hour at four or five in the morning. It did a great job of waking me up, but it wasn't my most productive hour.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Still missing all my exam classes

I got a grade yesterday and my final one this evening, so things are still happening even on the weekend.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Does anyone have the stats on how many UVA students retain their merit scholarships? My award letter says that I'd have to maintain a 2.3 GPA, which seems rather low compared to other school's requirements that I've come across. Is there some caveat that I should know about it or is this as good as it sounds?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:36 pm

digifly wrote:Does anyone have the stats on how many UVA students retain their merit scholarships? My award letter says that I'd have to maintain a 2.3 GPA, which seems rather low compared to other school's requirements that I've come across. Is there some caveat that I should know about it or is this as good as it sounds?

If you don't have at least a 2.3 I don't think you're even allowed to start your second year. Like scholarships at most good schools, there are no actual stipulations. You won't lose it without flunking out.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:54 pm

5ky wrote:
digifly wrote:Does anyone have the stats on how many UVA students retain their merit scholarships? My award letter says that I'd have to maintain a 2.3 GPA, which seems rather low compared to other school's requirements that I've come across. Is there some caveat that I should know about it or is this as good as it sounds?

If you don't have at least a 2.3 I don't think you're even allowed to start your second year. Like scholarships at most good schools, there are no actual stipulations. You won't lose it without flunking out.

Awesome. I thought that might be the case, but I know a bunch of people on TLS are constantly warning 0Ls to be aware of the scholarship requirements at schools. Thanks for the help!

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Tagging this thread just so I can follow it. Thanks to a substantial scholarship offer, UVA is one of my top options right now, so I'm interested in what kinds of questions and answers people have, even though I don't have any myself yet.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey everyone. As of now, UVA seems to be the place I'll pick. I'm starting to look into the area and was wondering when I should get serious about finding housing. I'm a girl who wants to live on her own, and I'm trying to find a good balance between being nice and close to school/library/gym, being close enough to fellow students to hang out but not being in a place that's noisy (I prefer to go to parties when I want to go, and not have them going on in the next apartment while I'm trying to read), and avoiding undergrads. :) Do any current students have experience with Arlington Ct Condos or Cresap Apts? IS JPA full of UGs? Thanks for any wisdom.

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone. As of now, UVA seems to be the place I'll pick. I'm starting to look into the area and was wondering when I should get serious about finding housing. I'm a girl who wants to live on her own, and I'm trying to find a good balance between being nice and close to school/library/gym, being close enough to fellow students to hang out but not being in a place that's noisy (I prefer to go to parties when I want to go, and not have them going on in the next apartment while I'm trying to read), and avoiding undergrads. :) Do any current students have experience with Arlington Ct Condos or Cresap Apts? IS JPA full of UGs? Thanks for any wisdom.

I live on Arlington and love it. The only reason I wish I lived in Ivy instead is that I like to go out more than most, and 90% of meetups are there so I have to walk half a mile instead of 100 yards. Not sure about Cresap but Arlington Ct Condos are great.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone. As of now, UVA seems to be the place I'll pick. I'm starting to look into the area and was wondering when I should get serious about finding housing. I'm a girl who wants to live on her own, and I'm trying to find a good balance between being nice and close to school/library/gym, being close enough to fellow students to hang out but not being in a place that's noisy (I prefer to go to parties when I want to go, and not have them going on in the next apartment while I'm trying to read), and avoiding undergrads. :) Do any current students have experience with Arlington Ct Condos or Cresap Apts? IS JPA full of UGs? Thanks for any wisdom.

JPA is blend of UG and non-law/darden grads. probably 65-35 UG-not. some of the areas down JPA can be rowdy, but certainly not to the extent that you should expect on 14th street, wertland, or rugby. hard to generalize which areas will be loud; you'd think the closer to grounds the louder, but the white ones at the mouth of JPA (woodrow i think?) were mostly tame in my experience (engineering/math UG+grad) and the most consistently loud pocket of JPA i've ever seen was way out on fontaine one year. kinda a crapshoot, based on your stated preferences.

in general the places that are still available today aren't going to experience a huge crunch availability-wise with the possible exception of places on arlington court as law students settle on uva > wherever else, and maybe some places in what i would call mid-town (between the corner and the downtown mall) will start flying once the med school students come in for their admitted students weekend.

obviously availabilities in other places will be declining, but not in any predictable pattern. the crunch anywhere within walking distance of main grounds occurred in october / november. i'd take your time, use http://www.brac.com/ , and not worry too much because ivy gardens is a fine+guaranteed fallback.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks so much for the info everyone. It would feel pretty good to wrap up housing before I left for my trip. It is just such a huge decision to settle on a school :-O It doesn't help that a friend is insisting that I will end up destitute and interview-less if I choose UVA over Chicago. :-P

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Thanks so much for the info everyone. It would feel pretty good to wrap up housing before I left for my trip. It is just such a huge decision to settle on a school :-O It doesn't help that a friend is insisting that I will end up destitute and interview-less if I choose UVA over Chicago. :-P

Tell your friend that Charlottesville gets better weather.

Both are great schools, I'm sure you'd like either. Personally though, I love Charlottesville and the school has good reach into every market.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Does UVA do Latin honors? If so, does anyone know what the gpa cut-offs are?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:Does UVA do Latin honors? If so, does anyone know what the gpa cut-offs are?

lolno

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere. There are 276 pages and to go page-by-page looking for this is overwhelming.

Are any current UVA students in this thread doing/planning to do the joint degree program with the Master's in Economic Law at Sciences Po in Paris? I have a couple of questions regarding the program and am considering it. The only other T-14 that I've seen with it is Penn.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 pm

kfischm1 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere. There are 276 pages and to go page-by-page looking for this is overwhelming.

Are any current UVA students in this thread doing/planning to do the joint degree program with the Master's in Economic Law at Sciences Po in Paris? I have a couple of questions regarding the program and am considering it. The only other T-14 that I've seen with it is Penn.

I hope you have a damn good reason. Schools love tuition and academic thought, but the JD is a professional degree that already has like half a year's worth of utility stretched over three years. It's not something that will make you more employable, or if it does at all, not by nearly the cost in time and money.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere. There are 276 pages and to go page-by-page looking for this is overwhelming.

I hope you have a damn good reason. Schools love tuition and academic thought, but the JD is a professional degree that already has like half a year's worth of utility stretched over three years. It's not something that will make you more employable, or if it does at all, not by nearly the cost in time and money.

It's a three year joint program that allows the third year to be spent studying at a university in Paris. Upon completion I would have a JD from UVA and also a French law diploma, allowing me to sit for the bar in France. My fiance is from France, and although we plan on living in the U.S. for the foreseeable future, it would be nice to have the option to be able to work in France (obviously I would have to meet other requirements as well, but having a French degree would certainly be helpful). A JD from the U.S. seems that it would be pretty useless in France.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

polkij333 wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:Does UVA do Latin honors? If so, does anyone know what the gpa cut-offs are?

lolno

UVA does order of the coif though which is somewhat equivalent. Cut-off varies.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 am

kfischm1 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

It's a three year joint program that allows the third year to be spent studying at a university in Paris. Upon completion I would have a JD from UVA and also a French law diploma, allowing me to sit for the bar in France. My fiance is from France, and although we plan on living in the U.S. for the foreseeable future, it would be nice to have the option to be able to work in France (obviously I would have to meet other requirements as well, but having a French degree would certainly be helpful). A JD from the U.S. seems that it would be pretty useless in France.

Very interesting - that may actually be somewhere between a damn good reason and perfect. Wish I had more info on it for you!

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

lolno

Thanks!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

lolno

harder to get, though, as it's just top 10%

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 am

albanach wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Thanks so much for the info everyone. It would feel pretty good to wrap up housing before I left for my trip. It is just such a huge decision to settle on a school :-O It doesn't help that a friend is insisting that I will end up destitute and interview-less if I choose UVA over Chicago. :-P

Tell your friend that Charlottesville gets better weather.

Both are great schools, I'm sure you'd like either. Personally though, I love Charlottesville and the school has good reach into every market.

That's pretty much exactly what I said. :lol: Not to mention a six figure scholly! That was pretty much the dream scenario. And I mean, you gotta factor in the wind chill.

Today my mother is in Charlottesville (she lives right near DC) and I asked her to scope out a spot I'm really interested in for me - she brought me the bad news that she's seen multiple people walking dogs. Noooooooooooooo. My last two apartments taught me how quickly an untrained, unattended dog can ruin lives.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”