UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 am

Should I buy LEEWS? I wouldn't use it till summer but I'm trying to look ahead.

And thanks for the input on the last question Heat.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:26 am

Br3v wrote:Should I buy LEEWS?


No.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 am

thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:Should I buy LEEWS?


No.


I know....which is why I don't understand why I still will and am seeking validation.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 am

Heat wrote:Where/what is the castle? Also, I don't disagree with most of those recommendations. (I removed the rest of the quote because man that thing was long.)

haha it's the only on-main-grounds dining experience worth having. it's in the basement of bonnycastle dorm, right adjacent to the lewis mountain road area. anytime someone wants to go to the white spot, they're drunk enough to walk to the castle. cyclops burger, add bacon.

charlottesville food is glorious, except the pizza in my humble opinion.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 pm

sprezz wrote:
shibby wrote:visiting this friday!

any good restaurant/coffee suggestions during my stay?



if anyone tells you riverside, they mean martin's grill (they just may not know it yet)


This is the Riverside I know and love. http://www.yelp.com/biz/riverside-lunch-charlottesville

Also, if you are a fan of "real" Chinese food (i.e., the kind of food you'd find in a decent-sized city's Chinatown, but not what you would eat in China) check out Peter Chang's and Taste of China.

You should also definitely walk the Downtown Mall.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

I love that Student Records just casually informed us 3Ls that we need to apply for graduation by 5 p.m. tomorrow, as if we would have somehow "noticed" the link in SIS on our own.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 pm

StanleyF wrote:I love that Student Records just casually informed us 3Ls that we need to apply for graduation by 5 p.m. tomorrow, as if we would have somehow "noticed" the link in SIS on our own.


Did they say what happens if you don't apply? Will they keep you for another year?

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bluecrab5448 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:Should I buy LEEWS?


No.


I know....which is why I don't understand why I still will and am seeking validation.

Don't do LEEWS - the "conflict pairs" method for writing out exams is useless. I tried to do that (just on a midterm, thank God), and got an awful grade. I talked to a professor about that strategy (he never heard of LEEWS) and he ranted on for a good five minutes about how stupid it was. You'd be throwing money down a toilet if you buy it.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:Don't do LEEWS - the "conflict pairs" method for writing out exams is useless. I tried to do that (just on a midterm, thank God), and got an awful grade. I talked to a professor about that strategy (he never heard of LEEWS) and he ranted on for a good five minutes about how stupid it was. You'd be throwing money down a toilet if you buy it.

Is GTM credited?

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby digifly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 pm

What are the best ways to go about starting the housing search?
Has anyone found something but thinking about rooming?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm

Blaqbella I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying in regard to rankings. Rankings DON"T matter, beyond the fact that there are certain schools that are so elite that firms prefer hiring form there (top 14). These schools are all highly ranked because of the prestige that employers associate with them along with other secondary factors that come along with that (strong faculty etc.). But as far as the rankings that US News comes up with for the rest of the schools, employers really don't care. In other words, Alabama making a jump up to 22 would not mean anything to law firms. And honestly this is true even within movement within the top 14. For example although NYU has been in the "top 6" for years now, legal employers outside of NYC haven't changed their hiring patterns to say, give NYU a leg up over the schools in the top 14 that US News has ranked below them. The same thing with Berkeley etc. etc.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby envisciguy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Br3v wrote:So what is the typical social scene like? I'm honestly not looking to have too active of a nightlife, but I'm curious about what the norm is. Weekends? Usually houses/apartments? Bars? Which ones? Do people tend to split up into their own little clicks or do large groups of sections tend to go to the same place?


Thursday nights for bar review, then a decent number of people go out Friday and/or Saturday too. Most gatherings that start at apartments end up at the Corner, but there's sometimes parties at apartments or houses too. The main bars are usually BIltmore, No.3, Trinity, and pretty much anything else on the Corner. Every time that I've gone out what starts as a couple people usually grows into a good chunk of my section.

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bluecrab5448 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:24 pm

North wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:Don't do LEEWS - the "conflict pairs" method for writing out exams is useless. I tried to do that (just on a midterm, thank God), and got an awful grade. I talked to a professor about that strategy (he never heard of LEEWS) and he ranted on for a good five minutes about how stupid it was. You'd be throwing money down a toilet if you buy it.

Is GTM credited?

I just skimmed GTM in between Call of Duty and Diablo. It's easy to read and the "forks" analogy is pretty useful in wrapping your mind around how issue-spotting works, but otherwise I did zero 0L prep and haven't regretted that at all.

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bluecrab5448 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

envisciguy wrote:
Br3v wrote:So what is the typical social scene like? I'm honestly not looking to have too active of a nightlife, but I'm curious about what the norm is. Weekends? Usually houses/apartments? Bars? Which ones? Do people tend to split up into their own little clicks or do large groups of sections tend to go to the same place?


Thursday nights for bar review, then a decent number of people go out Friday and/or Saturday too. Most gatherings that start at apartments end up at the Corner, but there's sometimes parties at apartments or houses too. The main bars are usually BIltmore, No.3, Trinity, and pretty much anything else on the Corner. Every time that I've gone out what starts as a couple people usually grows into a good chunk of my section.

Also: FEB CLUB. Otherwise known as a month of themed house parties for your inner bro. This year's even has a Tumblr account.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

envisciguy wrote:
Br3v wrote:So what is the typical social scene like? I'm honestly not looking to have too active of a nightlife, but I'm curious about what the norm is. Weekends? Usually houses/apartments? Bars? Which ones? Do people tend to split up into their own little clicks or do large groups of sections tend to go to the same place?


Thursday nights for bar review, then a decent number of people go out Friday and/or Saturday too. Most gatherings that start at apartments end up at the Corner, but there's sometimes parties at apartments or houses too. The main bars are usually BIltmore, No.3, Trinity, and pretty much anything else on the Corner. Every time that I've gone out what starts as a couple people usually grows into a good chunk of my section.


0L question, what is "bar review"?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby danitt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Br3v wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
Br3v wrote:So what is the typical social scene like? I'm honestly not looking to have too active of a nightlife, but I'm curious about what the norm is. Weekends? Usually houses/apartments? Bars? Which ones? Do people tend to split up into their own little clicks or do large groups of sections tend to go to the same place?


Thursday nights for bar review, then a decent number of people go out Friday and/or Saturday too. Most gatherings that start at apartments end up at the Corner, but there's sometimes parties at apartments or houses too. The main bars are usually BIltmore, No.3, Trinity, and pretty much anything else on the Corner. Every time that I've gone out what starts as a couple people usually grows into a good chunk of my section.


0L question, what is "bar review"?

Hitting the bars with your sections mates I think. Which brings me to another question, are there no classes on Friday morning? Why does bar review seem to always be on a Thursday?

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby hooma » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:59 pm

danitt wrote:
Br3v wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
Br3v wrote:So what is the typical social scene like? I'm honestly not looking to have too active of a nightlife, but I'm curious about what the norm is. Weekends? Usually houses/apartments? Bars? Which ones? Do people tend to split up into their own little clicks or do large groups of sections tend to go to the same place?


Thursday nights for bar review, then a decent number of people go out Friday and/or Saturday too. Most gatherings that start at apartments end up at the Corner, but there's sometimes parties at apartments or houses too. The main bars are usually BIltmore, No.3, Trinity, and pretty much anything else on the Corner. Every time that I've gone out what starts as a couple people usually grows into a good chunk of my section.


0L question, what is "bar review"?

Hitting the bars with your sections mates I think. Which brings me to another question, are there no classes on Friday morning? Why does bar review seem to always be on a Thursday?

Bar review is sponsored by the Student Bar Association and is open to the entire law school, and gets an impressive turnout from 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls every week. A lot of people have class on Fridays, but usually not until at least 10 and only have one or two. I'm not sure why bar review is on Thursday, but at my old job our holiday/any other major parties were always on Thursdays for risk management reasons. And that would make a lot of sense here.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:Should I buy LEEWS?


No.


I know....which is why I don't understand why I still will and am seeking validation.


Haha dont worry, every 1L does this. I freaked out about 0L prep for months. Didnt do anything at all, not even GTM and am very happy with my test results. Just relax before starting.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Oh hey its the last day of January, 3 out of 4 of my grades get posted.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Heat wrote:Oh hey its the last day of January, 3 out of 4 of my grades get posted.


Still missing all my exam classes

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Heat wrote:Oh hey its the last day of January, 3 out of 4 of my grades get posted.


Still missing all my exam classes


They should increase tuition by $40 a semester and pay a $10 per exam bonus to faculty that get a course graded and submitted within fourteen days. Most these guys have tenure, so nothing but a financial incentive is really going to get them to move more quickly.

I know most of the faculty are well enough rewarded so as not to be short for cash. However if they have to grade the exams anyway, being rewarded for doing it more quickly might motivate some.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:Should I buy LEEWS?


No.


I know....which is why I don't understand why I still will and am seeking validation.


haha, i totally feel the same way. i am thinking about it unless i can be thoroughly convinced not to.

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bluecrab5448 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm thinking of doing a Spring 2013 Research Assistant position to earn some cash. Does anyone know how much the hourly wage is?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:I'm thinking of doing a Spring 2013 Research Assistant position to earn some cash. Does anyone know how much the hourly wage is?


You can be a research assistant during the semester? I have heard wages are about 11-13 an hour

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bluecrab5448 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:I'm thinking of doing a Spring 2013 Research Assistant position to earn some cash. Does anyone know how much the hourly wage is?


You can be a research assistant during the semester? I have heard wages are about 11-13 an hour

Thanks! I just know this one prof is looking because he brought it up during a "take your prof out to lunch" thing.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests