UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am

The Big Storm involved a lot of snow, far more than the region had any capacity to deal with. It was pretty crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-m1ItXo9Y

As for pickups, lots of the smaller ones are two wheel drive, and rear wheel drive at that. Quite possibly the worst configuration possible for driving in the snow, as the power is at the back but the wheels don't have the weight of an engine above them to add traction. It's very amusing to watch owners of such trucks shoveling snow onto the truck bed to add some weight.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm

albanach wrote:The Big Storm involved a lot of snow, far more than the region had any capacity to deal with. It was pretty crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-m1ItXo9Y

As for pickups, lots of the smaller ones are two wheel drive, and rear wheel drive at that. Quite possibly the worst configuration possible for driving in the snow, as the power is at the back but the wheels don't have the weight of an engine above them to add traction. It's very amusing to watch owners of such trucks shoveling snow onto the truck bed to add some weight.


I think the region's threshold for ability to deal with snow is about 1 inch.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 pm

uvabro wrote:
shibby wrote:So does anyone have any insight on what it's like to be a gay female at UVA? I've seen some responses w/r/t gay guys, but I'm curious about the lesbian side of things. Friendly atmosphere? Visible presence in the law school? Openly gay relationships?

Thanks guys

nobody cares. i guess it can be an issue if you wore melissa etheridge tshirts every day but 4-5 times a week should be ok.


well shit. what will i wear for the other 3 days?

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby uvabro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm

shibby wrote:
uvabro wrote:
shibby wrote:So does anyone have any insight on what it's like to be a gay female at UVA? I've seen some responses w/r/t gay guys, but I'm curious about the lesbian side of things. Friendly atmosphere? Visible presence in the law school? Openly gay relationships?

Thanks guys

nobody cares. i guess it can be an issue if you wore melissa etheridge tshirts every day but 4-5 times a week should be ok.


well shit. what will i wear for the other 3 days?

you can probably find some romney for prez shirts somewhere. seriously though, nobody will care unless you're good looking in which case they'd care for other reasons.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby shibby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:27 pm

uvabro wrote:
shibby wrote:
uvabro wrote:
shibby wrote:So does anyone have any insight on what it's like to be a gay female at UVA? I've seen some responses w/r/t gay guys, but I'm curious about the lesbian side of things. Friendly atmosphere? Visible presence in the law school? Openly gay relationships?

Thanks guys

nobody cares. i guess it can be an issue if you wore melissa etheridge tshirts every day but 4-5 times a week should be ok.


well shit. what will i wear for the other 3 days?

you can probably find some romney for prez shirts somewhere. seriously though, nobody will care unless you're good looking in which case they'd care for other reasons.


haha k. that´s what i like to hear. thanks.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?


There are a handful of classes UVA uses as its designated "sit-in classes," I think. So you might be with others. I'd just say hello to the professor and ask him/her where to sit.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?

I had a pretty funny 0L sit in situation last semester.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?

I had a pretty funny 0L sit in situation last semester.


Go on...

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?

I had a pretty funny 0L sit in situation last semester.


Go on...

Group of 0L sit ins gets to class before everybody else and takes their seats. 1Ls come in and sit in slightly different places because 0Ls took their assigned seats. Johnson comes in class, begins lecture, and starts to cold call. Squints at seating chart and stares at the class. Then orders 0Ls to move because class cannot continue if students are out of place. I love that guy.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 am

Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?


Just get to the class 5 minutes early, introduce yourself to the professor, and ask him/her where to sit. Alternatively, just head to the back of the class, wait for a few folks to come in, tell someone who you are and ask them where to sit. Everyone's friendly and will be glad to help you out. Just don't raise your hand/say anything in class, don't take notes, and don't go up to the professor after class (there will probably be a few students who do so and want to ask questions). I've been in classes where a number of 0Ls are all there, and I've seen plenty where it's just one. Not at all a big deal and students will be happy to help out as long as you don't do something obnoxious.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:36 am

dixon02 wrote:
Br3v wrote:So when sitting in on a class, what should I not do so I don't look stupid? I don't want to sit in someone's seat or something. I know enough not to talk in class to try to be an 0L gunner, but any other hints? Should I introduce myself to the prof? I'd rather just be invisible towards the back of the class lol. Is sitting in on a class like a structured thing? As in will I more than likely be with a few other 0L's in a class that is used to sit ins?


Just get to the class 5 minutes early, introduce yourself to the professor, and ask him/her where to sit. Alternatively, just head to the back of the class, wait for a few folks to come in, tell someone who you are and ask them where to sit. Everyone's friendly and will be glad to help you out. Just don't raise your hand/say anything in class, don't take notes, and don't go up to the professor after class (there will probably be a few students who do so and want to ask questions). I've been in classes where a number of 0Ls are all there, and I've seen plenty where it's just one. Not at all a big deal and students will be happy to help out as long as you don't do something obnoxious.


I'd say it's fine, indeed it's polite, to go to the professor after class to say a quick thank you.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby envisciguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

If you're worried about not standing out in a class, try to sit in one of the larger lecture classes on the sit-in schedule. I don't know which classes are the designated ones for spring, but this past Fall, my contracts (Mahoney) and Torts (Abraham) classes were both on the list. Definitely less noticeable in contracts. Not to say that it's a big deal either way though.

As others have said, definitely introduce yourself if possible before class. The very back seats usually have a couple empty spots and if you're ballsy, the first row is sometimes completely empty. It also can't hurt to thank the proff and introduce yourself after class. Just make sure you wait a minute or two so you're not stopping someone else from asking a question.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 am

I was just in the bookstore and noticed that all of the Stone Con Law books are on back order. If you (or someone you know) still needs this book, I have it and I'm selling it for $100, which is less than a used copy in the bookstore. I can get it to you within an hour of you telling me you want it (also quicker than the bookstore).

Also still selling the Schragger property case book.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm

pjo wrote:I was just in the bookstore and noticed that all of the Stone Con Law books are on back order. If you (or someone you know) still needs this book, I have it and I'm selling it for $100, which is less than a used copy in the bookstore. I can get it to you within an hour of you telling me you want it (also quicker than the bookstore).

Also still selling the Schragger property case book.


It's available for $50 used on Amazon, probably why you're not getting many bites.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jkpolk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Anyone around who was a 1L summer research assistant? Was it as sweet as it sounds? Or is Cville somehow incredibly boring over the summer

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

polkij333 wrote:Anyone around who was a 1L summer research assistant? Was it as sweet as it sounds? Or is Cville somehow incredibly boring over the summer


Cville is somewhat more boring in the summer then it is in other seasons. The population moves away. You'll have less friends (but likely some who will stick around). The older locals come out. Traffic is about 400 times better. It's pretty hot (if your not from this far South at least). Ultimately, Cville is fine.

I split my summer with RAing but I certainly felt like my other job (PI) was easier to talk about in interviews, more interesting, and more relevant.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Heat wrote:I split my summer with RAing but I certainly felt like my other job (PI) was easier to talk about in interviews, more interesting, and more relevant.


It may, however, be easier to secure money as an RA. And for some that will be an important consideration.

It's a bit late in the game to be worrying about PILA hours. Of course if you volunteered last semester and in January, you may have enough hours to get a grant, in which case PI may be more rewarding though it does come with less flexibility.

sherpaorlawschool
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Has anyone had Oliar for an intellectual property course? I am considering switching into his copyright course but am unsure about it. Some of the reviews on lawweb are glowing and some are scathing.

User avatar
Uncle.Joe
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Uncle.Joe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Are LLMs on the same curve as JDs?

User avatar
Deep Trench
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Deep Trench » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 am

Uncle.Joe wrote:Are LLMs on the same curve as JDs?


LLMs and JDs are on the same curve, but LLMs whose native language is not English receive 33% more time to complete their exams.

User avatar
defdef
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:11 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby defdef » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I received the email regarding ASW and whether or not I'd like to be contacted by an alum. Since I can't make it to the ASW I asked to be contacted specifically regarding the market I'm trying to get back to. Does anyone know if this is generally accepted to be just via phone/email or if it's common to ask to buy them a coffee?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

defdef wrote:I received the email regarding ASW and whether or not I'd like to be contacted by an alum. Since I can't make it to the ASW I asked to be contacted specifically regarding the market I'm trying to get back to. Does anyone know if this is generally accepted to be just via phone/email or if it's common to ask to buy them a coffee?


Probably depends on who you get, their position in the firm and the size of their firm.

A partner who is willing to do this would probably take the time to have a coffee with you. A junior associate might like to, but be under more pressure from work to be at their desk.

I see no problem in asking to meet for a coffee but acknowledging that they may be busy and saying you're happy to converse by phone/email if that is more convenient for them.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Would it be crazy to rent a room in a farmhouse and commute 20 minutes or so to the law school? They're so cheap on Craigslist and loans.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

North wrote:Would it be crazy to rent a room in a farmhouse and commute 20 minutes or so to the law school? They're so cheap on Craigslist and loans.


I know people who have done similar. It can be quite isolating and parking + traffic are hilariously bad in cville given its size, but $$$$.

Personally I think rent right around the law school is reasonable enough that it'd be a silly area to nickel and dime on, but only you know your preferences and finances.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests