UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
YCrevolution

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:30 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:I was browsing the UVA course catalog and was wondering if there was a list somewhere of the courses that satisfy the writing, professional skills, and professional responsibility requirements?

The course that satisfies the professional responsibility requirement is called "Professional Responsibility". There are currently two versions offered, the "standard" one that focuses on corporate litigation, and one called something like "Professional Responsibility/Public Interest Law" that focuses on PR in a PI setting.

With regard to the writing requirements, I believe you can satisfy that by taking one of the "seminar" classes and writing a paper in it that's long enough to satisfy the requirement. These should be identified by being identified as a "seminar" somewhere in the course description.

You can also get a professor to supervise you and do an independent-study paper over a semester instead of taking a class and use that paper to satisfy the writing requirement. Since I'm still a 1L I'm not too clear on how that works (independent study is only available to 2-3Ls and we were all told we should avoid doing a seminar as 1Ls unless we love writing).

doback

Postby doback » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:18 pm

To those panicking about housing: I got an ivy apartment in late april or early may last year since I didn't commit to UVA until close to the deadline. I did have to sign a lease starting in June when I wasn't moving in until August, but it worked out because now I won't have to pay double rent when I leave cville this summer.

Ivy is great for 1L year, kind of a college dorms feel to it since so many other law students live there. I'd say about half of my section is in ivy, and those that live elsewhere tend to feel kind of isolated. And it makes cabbing to the corner much easier/cheaper when you can split one with your friends.

eljay

Postby eljay » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 pm

dook people don't party in chapel hill. if they do, they get dirty looks.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

doback wrote:To those panicking about housing: I got an ivy apartment in late april or early may last year since I didn't commit to UVA until close to the deadline. I did have to sign a lease starting in June when I wasn't moving in until August, but it worked out because now I won't have to pay double rent when I leave cville this summer.

Ivy is great for 1L year, kind of a college dorms feel to it since so many other law students live there. I'd say about half of my section is in ivy, and those that live elsewhere tend to feel kind of isolated. And it makes cabbing to the corner much easier/cheaper when you can split one with your friends.

This is a nice sales pitch for Ivy. It almost makes me wish I didn't own a 20 lb dog and a home theater set up I refuse to be unable to use for watching football games in HD.

laxgirl37

Postby laxgirl37 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

There were arlington court condos available as late as august- if you can stand it, just wait it out till you're ready. People get desperate and you can get a great deal.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 pm

laxgirl37 wrote:There were arlington court condos available as late as august- if you can stand it, just wait it out till you're ready. People get desperate and you can get a great deal.

Arlington Court has this weird policy now that you have to visit or have someone visit the unit for you. Keep that in mind if you guys try to get one of these.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
laxgirl37 wrote:There were arlington court condos available as late as august- if you can stand it, just wait it out till you're ready. People get desperate and you can get a great deal.

Arlington Court has this weird policy now that you have to visit or have someone visit the unit for you. Keep that in mind if you guys try to get one of these.

Is this for all of them or just certain units? The buildings/units have separate owners.

It's apparently for units whose owners use the management company as a leasing service to deal with leasing them out. If the owner is trying to lease it out directly, you won't (necessarily) have this problem.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Is this for all of them or just certain units? The buildings/units have separate owners.

It's apparently for units whose owners use the management company as a leasing service to deal with leasing them out. If the owner is trying to lease it out directly, you won't (necessarily) have this problem.

Yeah this was through the management company, no clue on how the individual owners deal with this.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Yeah this was through the management company, no clue on how the individual owners deal with this.

The individual owner of my unit let me rent it sight unseen. It probably varies from owner to owner.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 am

Just accepted to UVA and now looking for housing. The University Place apartments seem like a good fit for me, can anyone tell me about their experiences (good or bad) living there? Also, is the shuttle service good?

How do you deal with "specializing" in law school? How much to your advantage (if at all) is it to narrowly focus on one specific area?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:03 am

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:05 am

joemoviebuff wrote:How do you deal with "specializing" in law school? How much to your advantage (if at all) is it to narrowly focus on one specific area?

I have no experience with University Place and can't help you there, but this I can help you with.

You have six set "core" classes you have to take, plus LRW. After that you are completely free to set your schedule and take whatever classes you want. In the real world, it seems like what classes you take doesn't matter as much as your grades; the idea is that you learn how to approach the law in law school, and then actually learn the law in your field once you're in your job.

We have a professor who became a criminal prosecutor, and she points out to students that she never took any classes in criminal law beyond the core class "Criminal Law". A lot of people go into corporate litigation without ever having taken Corporations or an accounting class.

With that said, it's a different economy now. The job market is suddenly hypercompetitive, and I've been highlighting my fall electives as both being criminal law classes in the hopes that'll help show my dedication to pursuing a criminal law career and thus convince some prosecutor or public defender to take me as his/her intern. I can't say that's necessarily paying off though, and given how nervous I'm getting I'm about to broaden my job search well outside of criminal law to make sure I have something to do my 1L summer.

But from what I hear what you do your first summer matters little anyway, it just matters that you get legal experience your 1L summer. You'll have time your second and third years to take classes that interest you, and to be sure, to take a few that you can highlight or that open doors to you.

For instance you can get a third-year practice certificate to actually practice law under supervision as a 3L if by the end of your 2L year you take certain classes (Evidence, Professional Responsibility, and ... maybe one other class, I forget what) and then you can take a prosecution clinic as a 3L and actually prosecute cases yourself.

But, especially when it comes to law firms, the focus is on grades, your personality in interviews, and your extracurriculars. What classes you've taken doesn't sound like it matters too much... though with this economy changing the way it is, that may change too. Time will tell.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 am

So for extracurriculars, I'm thinking that I'll be a member of BLSA (probably won't look to hold a position there). Aside from that, I'd obviously love to do a journal and if that doesn't work out then I'll try to join a clinic. Would that be enough for the resume (aside from a 1L summer position)? Additionally, anecdotally, how competitive is the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic?

What's the best set of summer positions/extracurriculars if one is gunning for a post-grad clerkship and then biglaw/lit boutique?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:How do you deal with "specializing" in law school? How much to your advantage (if at all) is it to narrowly focus on one specific area?

I have no experience with University Place and can't help you there, but this I can help you with.

You have six set "core" classes you have to take, plus LRW. After that you are completely free to set your schedule and take whatever classes you want. In the real world, it seems like what classes you take doesn't matter as much as your grades; the idea is that you learn how to approach the law in law school, and then actually learn the law in your field once you're in your job.

We have a professor who became a criminal prosecutor, and she points out to students that she never took any classes in criminal law beyond the core class "Criminal Law". A lot of people go into corporate litigation without ever having taken Corporations or an accounting class.

With that said, it's a different economy now. The job market is suddenly hypercompetitive, and I've been highlighting my fall electives as both being criminal law classes in the hopes that'll help show my dedication to pursuing a criminal law career and thus convince some prosecutor or public defender to take me as his/her intern. I can't say that's necessarily paying off though, and given how nervous I'm getting I'm about to broaden my job search well outside of criminal law to make sure I have something to do my 1L summer.

But from what I hear what you do your first summer matters little anyway, it just matters that you get legal experience your 1L summer. You'll have time your second and third years to take classes that interest you, and to be sure, to take a few that you can highlight or that open doors to you.

For instance you can get a third-year practice certificate to actually practice law under supervision as a 3L if by the end of your 2L year you take certain classes (Evidence, Professional Responsibility, and ... maybe one other class, I forget what) and then you can take a prosecution clinic as a 3L and actually prosecute cases yourself.

But, especially when it comes to law firms, the focus is on grades, your personality in interviews, and your extracurriculars. What classes you've taken doesn't sound like it matters too much... though with this economy changing the way it is, that may change too. Time will tell.

Thank you vanwinkle and YC for your prompt and helpful responses! Where did you two live as 1L's? Pros and cons?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

joemoviebuff wrote:Thank you vanwinkle and YC for your prompt and helpful responses! Where did you two live as 1L's? Pros and cons?

We're both living in residences along Arlington Blvd. There are several such places, including The Jeffersonian Apartments, Arlington Court Condos, Arlington Park Townhomes, and the Graduate Center. Which is best for you depends on a number of things, but all share a common and highly desirable trait, that being their presence on Arlington Blvd. This is the ideal place to live IMO; you're a very quick walk from the law school, and also a short walk from Barracks Road Shopping Center and its two 24-hour grocery stores.

That said, I think the waiting list at the Jeffersonian is so long by now you won't get an apartment there for this fall. Arlington Court Condos are rented out one at a time by each condo unit owner, so finding them for rent can be difficult. Arlington Park Townhomes only offers larger townhomes, suitable for if you have a roommate. The Graduate Center rents you a separate bedroom/bathroom, but you share a living room/kitchen with 2 or 3 other residents (you can decide who your roommates will be in advance if you can find some; I know last year some TLSers got together during ASW and agreed to room together at the GC).

Given how much it keeps snowing, I consider being a very brief walk from the law school to be valuable. Hopefully it won't be like this again next year, though.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 am

How many 1Ls live in Arlington Park Townhouses?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 am

D Brooks wrote:How many 1Ls live in Arlington Park Townhouses?

I don't personally know any that do, but if you need a larger place, it's just as ideal as places like the Graduate Center, and they look kind of newish (at least compared to Arlington Court, where the condos are so old that some of them still have honest-to-God fuse boxes instead of circuit breakers).

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:44 am

D Brooks wrote:So for extracurriculars, I'm thinking that I'll be a member of BLSA (probably won't look to hold a position there). Aside from that, I'd obviously love to do a journal and if that doesn't work out then I'll try to join a clinic. Would that be enough for the resume (aside from a 1L summer position)? Additionally, anecdotally, how competitive is the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic?

What's the best set of summer positions/extracurriculars if one is gunning for a post-grad clerkship and then biglaw/lit boutique?

Do you realize that it's so hard to get 1L SA positions. It probably won't happen.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:52 am

avacado111 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:So for extracurriculars, I'm thinking that I'll be a member of BLSA (probably won't look to hold a position there). Aside from that, I'd obviously love to do a journal and if that doesn't work out then I'll try to join a clinic. Would that be enough for the resume (aside from a 1L summer position)? Additionally, anecdotally, how competitive is the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic?

Do you realize that it's so hard to get 1L SA positions. It probably won't happen.

He did say "1L summer position." That can mean many things.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

Hahaha... okay...1L Firm positions (that pay 3k a week) are rare :)

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 pm

avacado111 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

Hahaha... okay...1L Firm positions (that pay 3k a week) are rare :)

Diversity initiative 1L position FTW. Also, living in a secondary market that would drool over any T14 1L who they think will return is also FTW.

But yeah, I was talking about any 1L summer position.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm

On the topic of summer 1L jobs...

According to this page (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/1Lstats.htm ), more people found jobs in Charlottesville than any other city by far. Would you say this is due mostly to self-selection, or is it just tough to get a summer job outside of Cville? I'd love to spend my 1L summer in San Francisco, but only 2 people did that last year.

There were also more academic jobs than jobs of other types. Out of curiosity what would be some examples of these?

Thanks a ton everyone, appreciate it! This thread has been great.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:56 pm

TigerBeer wrote:On the topic of summer 1L jobs...

According to this page (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/1Lstats.htm ), more people found jobs in Charlottesville than any other city by far. Would you say this is due mostly to self-selection, or is it just tough to get a summer job outside of Cville? I'd love to spend my 1L summer in San Francisco, but only 2 people did that last year.

There were also more academic jobs than jobs of other types. Out of curiosity what would be some examples of these?

Thanks a ton everyone, appreciate it! This thread has been great.

I can only speculate on this. However, I know that I'd like to have a local job because my apartment is leased on a 12-month term and I'm paying for it for the summer whether I do an internship here or elsewhere.

There's also the Legal Aid Justice Center which is designed to provide legal services to disadvantaged residents of the area, and they're based here in C-ville, to be close to the university I'm sure. They have a variety of programs covering child advocacy, child health advocacy, immigrant advocacy, an "institutionalized persons project" that brings civil rights initiatives on behalf of prison inmates whose constitutional rights are violated, and several clinics that are run in conjunction with UVA Law. They offer quite a few opportunities to do pro bono work during the year and I'm sure a bunch of 1Ls end up doing work there during the summer as well. A couple LAJC projects are on grounds this week doing Public Service OGI interviews, and I know a bunch of 1Ls applied for them.

Plus anyone who wants to stay in C-ville can become a research assistant for a professor over the summer. I'm sure those account for a whole bunch of those "academic jobs" and every single one of those is right here in C-ville at the law school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”