UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pjo

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Same here, but the grade was posted to SIS over a month ago. Weird that they would send an email now.

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

anyone have anything to add regarding antitrust with nachbar, class action / aggregate litigation with rutherglen, or criminal law in the SC with Low?

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Last edited by turkeysub on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bluesupernova

Postby bluesupernova » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 am

Professor Schwartzman is visiting and teaching Con Law at UCLA this semester.

Are there any kind UVA students out there who would be willing to share an outline or general advice about him/his exams?

Thanks in advance! :)

defdef

Postby defdef » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am

Anybody have any advice regarding health insurance (especially for families)? Using the 2012-2013 Spring information posted here, it would cost about 6100 dollars per semester. Is the quality of service good? Does anyone recommend any other options that are usable at the UVA Medical center?

I've been living overseas for the past 4 years, so my familiarity with US health insurance is a bit rusty.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 am

Anyone considering the new apartment building that is being built near the law school (The Pavilion)

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 am

Accidentally ended up with two antitrust (Nachbar) books last year. Will sell either for $30. PM me.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:56 pm

defdef wrote:Anybody have any advice regarding health insurance (especially for families)? Using the 2012-2013 Spring information posted here, it would cost about 6100 dollars per semester. Is the quality of service good? Does anyone recommend any other options that are usable at the UVA Medical center?

I've been living overseas for the past 4 years, so my familiarity with US health insurance is a bit rusty.

Assuming your child(ren) wouldn't be eligible for Medicaid, I don't think you have much option unless your partner is working and you can piggyback on their coverage.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 pm

defdef wrote:Anybody have any advice regarding health insurance (especially for families)? Using the 2012-2013 Spring information posted here, it would cost about 6100 dollars per semester. Is the quality of service good? Does anyone recommend any other options that are usable at the UVA Medical center?

Seems like either spouse should have coverage or you would be eligible for state aid. Why is this not the case?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:00 pm

What do you do at ASW?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Br3v wrote:What do you do at ASW?

They have a bunch of short sessions where you learn info about the school, employment, charlottesville, student organizations, etc. There's down time where you can explore cville and lots of free food and drink.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:14 pm

If you are asking if it is a big deal not to attend, its not a big deal. It is simply a formal way to see if you think that you will be comfortable at the school. All schools ASWs say very similar things, but you do get to see the town, school, students, etc. You could visit another time and get the same thing out of it.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Law Sauce wrote: You could visit another time and get the same thing out of it.

Without the food and drink

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:

They have a bunch of short sessions where you learn info about the school, employment, charlottesville, student organizations, etc. There's down time where you can explore cville and lots of free food and drink.

From the little they have sent us about ASW already, it appears you can't bring a guest to the sanctioned events. Did anyone go with a guest however? My original plan was to explore the city and such with my SO then split up a few times when I have to go to a student event, but the more I hear about ASW it seems like events go all day.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

From the little they have sent us about ASW already, it appears you can't bring a guest to the sanctioned events. Did anyone go with a guest however? My original plan was to explore the city and such with my SO then split up a few times when I have to go to a student event, but the more I hear about ASW it seems like events go all day.

Also curious about this

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

From what I remember- nobody is going to check if you are really an admitted student so you could probably bring in a guest/snag free food if you're a hobo. Another piece of advice; when someone tells you something is "mandatory," ask yourself "what is the consequence of not participating." This may help you avoid shitty events down the line.

defdef

Postby defdef » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:

Seems like either spouse should have coverage or you would be eligible for state aid. Why is this not the case?

Not sure what you mean. Spouse isn't American, the country we live in has national health insurance, so currently neither of us are covered in the US, and after some brief checking I doubt that we would be covered for state aid due to income/savings. I suppose technically we'd be below 133% of the poverty level just because I'd be a student but I'm not sure it works that way. Worth checking though.

Does anyone use plans like Anthem/Blue Cross to good effect at UVA medical center?
Last edited by defdef on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

From what I remember- nobody is going to check if you are really an admitted student so you could probably bring in a guest/snag free food if you're a hobo. Another piece of advice; when someone tells you something is "mandatory," ask yourself "what is the consequence of not participating." This may help you avoid shitty events down the line.

This +1 remember this during your first semester as well

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 am

defdef wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Spouse isn't American, the country we live in has national health insurance, so currently neither of us are covered in the US, and after some brief checking I doubt that we would be covered for state aide due to income/savings. I suppose technically we'd be below 133% of the poverty level just because I'd be a student but I'm not sure it works that way. Worth checking though.

Does anyone use plans like Anthem/Blue Cross to good effect at UVA medical center?

I don't see why they'd count loans as income. That should be easy to check. I'd expect they are strict about savings though.

I'd expect the plans you mention will be regularly used at UVA. The hospital also has financial screening that may reduce the cost of any care you receive there.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:34 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:This +1 remember this during your first semester as well

Definitely skip any sanctimonious crap from hulvey, the financial aid lady. Or just about anything that doesn't sound interesting.

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Also curious about this

ASW does run throughout the whole day, but you can pick and chose which sessions you are interested in attending. Honestly, your SO might find it absurdly boring if they tag along, but no one would really notice if they did. You are given a name tag, but I lost mine early on when I went, and it wasn't a problem. Your SO might be interested in attending the specific Q&A session for parents/SOs, from what I have heard, people have really appreciated getting that perspective and hearing how others have handled having an SO in law school/getting a job in Cville/so on.

Also, Cville is just a great town to spend a weekend in with your SO - eat of one of the many amazing restaurants/go to a winery/walk around the Downtown Mall/check out housing options.

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 am

defdef wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Spouse isn't American, the country we live in has national health insurance, so currently neither of us are covered in the US, and after some brief checking I doubt that we would be covered for state aid due to income/savings. I suppose technically we'd be below 133% of the poverty level just because I'd be a student but I'm not sure it works that way. Worth checking though.

I'm covered under my mother's insurance, Blue Cross, and I had to go to the UVA hospital for a couple of X-rays this past semester. I had no problems using my insurance and I got the bill for my co-pay about 2-4 weeks later. If you go that route, you should be fine.

defdef

Postby defdef » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 am

memaha wrote:
defdef wrote:Does anyone use plans like Anthem/Blue Cross to good effect at UVA medical center?

I'm covered under my mother's insurance, Blue Cross, and I had to go to the UVA hospital for a couple of X-rays this past semester. I had no problems using my insurance and I got the bill for my co-pay about 2-4 weeks later. If you go that route, you should be fine.

Thanks, good to hear!

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Classes definitely start next Monday (1/21) right? For some reason, no classes are showing up for the 21st on my SIS weekly schedule and it's giving me false hope.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:Classes definitely start next Monday (1/21) right? For some reason, no classes are showing up for the 21st on my SIS weekly schedule and it's giving me false hope.

Pretty sure. Maybe you just don't have any Monday classes?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”