UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 am

Can we (1L) expect grades to be posted as they are submitted. Or is it more likely they will all be posted at one time?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Can we (1L) expect grades to be posted as they are submitted. Or is it more likely they will all be posted at one time?

Back in my day, one at a time.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am

thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Can we (1L) expect grades to be posted as they are submitted. Or is it more likely they will all be posted at one time?

Yeah, it'll be one at a time. I suspect in the coming days the SRO will send out an email titled FALL 2012 GRADES, or something equally obnoxious. Your heart will skip a beat when you see it, but it'll just say the date by which grades are "due" (used loosely).

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 am

5ky wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Yeah, it'll be one at a time. I suspect in the coming days the SRO will send out an email titled FALL 2012 GRADES, or something equally obnoxious. Your heart will skip a beat when you see it, but it'll just say the date by which grades are "due" (used loosely).

Wow that's just mean. I wonder if they do that on purpose. They have to know.... Lol

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 am

Yeah, it's good times.

The email subject:

The actual email:

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 am

Does Cary Bennett hate students?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 am

Tom Joad wrote:Does Cary Bennett hate students?

yes

Wahoos

Postby Wahoos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

My friend got back a Civ Pro grade this morning, so it's definitely one at a time

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am

Wahoos wrote:

My friend got back a Civ Pro grade this morning, so it's definitely one at a time

Do you know what prof your friend had?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Wahoos wrote:

Do you know what prof your friend had?

This is how it should work:

1. Grades for a particular class go up at 7:00 PM on the nose. You can check at 7:01, and if you don't have anything, there's no real need to check again til the next day. It didn't used to be this precise, so you'd have to check a lot.

2. Course evaluations for classes whose grades posted go up the following day (these used to come out before the grades actually got posted, but that's now changed). So you can check Lawweb and see if any grades went up the previous night.

Looks like Heytens and Mitchell's CivPro went up last night, and Barzun's Torts.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I have a macbook air. Will this suffice for anything and everything computer related I need at UVA?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:I have a macbook air. Will this suffice for anything and everything computer related I need at UVA?

I don't see why not, should be fine. I've seen others with them.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

WOAH curve change at UVA (mostly for our dearly departed who don't get emails anymore)

Grading Adjustment: The law school recently adjusted its grading policies for all courses where the incoming mean GPA of the students enrolled in the course is greater than 3.35. Starting in the spring 2013 semester, instructors for these courses are permitted (but not required) to have the mean of the grades for the course be as high as the average incoming mean GPA of the enrolled students. Prior to this revision, this policy only applied to courses with 16 or fewer students.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 pm

5ky wrote:WOAH curve change at UVA (mostly for our dearly departed who don't get emails anymore)

Grading Adjustment: The law school recently adjusted its grading policies for all courses where the incoming mean GPA of the students enrolled in the course is greater than 3.35. Starting in the spring 2013 semester, instructors for these courses are permitted (but not required) to have the mean of the grades for the course be as high as the average incoming mean GPA of the enrolled students. Prior to this revision, this policy only applied to courses with 16 or fewer students.

This is awesome right? So now it may even be to your benefit to be in a class with a bunch of high gpas where as previously you may have been more likely to get median pawned right?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Br3v wrote:
5ky wrote:WOAH curve change at UVA (mostly for our dearly departed who don't get emails anymore)

This is awesome right? So now it may even be to your benefit to be in a class with a bunch of high gpas where as previously you may have been more likely to get median pawned right?

Maybe. But there's still going to be a curve, and people are going to be on the bottom of it. Plus, professors don't HAVE to do anything.

What I'd really be curious to know is in how many classes the mean GPA is higher than a 3.35. One would think it shouldn't be all that many, probably most of the Nelson/Jeffries/Laycocke/etc etc classes.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Maybe. But there's still going to be a curve, and people are going to be on the bottom of it. Plus, professors don't HAVE to do anything.

What I'd really be curious to know is in how many classes the mean GPA is higher than a 3.35. One would think it shouldn't be all that many, probably most of the Nelson/Jeffries/Laycocke/etc etc classes.

Is my understanding correct however, that this new policy will either A) not do anything, or B) help you? As in, it can't hurt can it? That is unless I am not accounting for any long term effects from potential grade inflation?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Br3v wrote:Is my understanding correct however, that this new policy will either A) not do anything, or B) help you? As in, it can't hurt can it? That is unless I am not accounting for any long term effects from potential grade inflation?

It's gonna make rank calculation a little more dicey, and it might make the earlier grads look a little more stupid in comparison to the later grads. Like the SATs all over again.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am

Br3v wrote:
Is my understanding correct however, that this new policy will either A) not do anything, or B) help you? As in, it can't hurt can it? That is unless I am not accounting for any long term effects from potential grade inflation?

I'm not sure that's quite correct. But its impact isn't going to be all that high for 1Ls, which is when grades really matter. The difference will come because the classes with a larger proportion of higher GPAs (your Nelson courses, Schauer, Heytens, Jeffries, etc) will give out more A level grades (probably). But other classes won't. So that'll mean higher GPAs for the former folks, which raise their ranks relative to students in classes where the GPA isn't higher. If that makes sense.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Just got an email from Student Records to inform me that a grade had been posted in SIS. This is a brave new innovation for UVa Law.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 pm

StanleyF wrote:Just got an email from Student Records to inform me that a grade had been posted in SIS. This is a brave new innovation for UVa Law.

Well that certainly saves me from checking the Completed Course Evaluations everyday. Just to be clear, it was for a non-1L class right?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm

5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:

I'm not sure that's quite correct. But its impact isn't going to be all that high for 1Ls, which is when grades really matter. The difference will come because the classes with a larger proportion of higher GPAs (your Nelson courses, Schauer, Heytens, Jeffries, etc) will give out more A level grades (probably). But other classes won't. So that'll mean higher GPAs for the former folks, which raise their ranks relative to students in classes where the GPA isn't higher. If that makes sense.

Are those professors you keep listing? Do their classes historically consist of people with higher gpas or something?

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:
StanleyF wrote:Just got an email from Student Records to inform me that a grade had been posted in SIS. This is a brave new innovation for UVa Law.

Well that certainly saves me from checking the Completed Course Evaluations everyday. Just to be clear, it was for a non-1L class right?

It was actually for a short course that ended in October, and the grade had actually been on SIS for over a week before the email showed up. But hey, at least it's (kind of) an improvement over no notice at all.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Br3v wrote:
5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Are those professors you keep listing? Do their classes historically consist of people with higher gpas or something?

Some are just rock-star professors (wrote the book, pioneered the field, etc), some have niche specialties that people legitimately want to learn about/have on a resume. I think the feeling is that more motivated students are going to gravitate towards that sort of thing either to get an edge in hiring or just because they want to be the best taking the class from the best.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

StanleyF wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:

It was actually for a short course that ended in October, and the grade had actually been on SIS for over a week before the email showed up. But hey, at least it's (kind of) an improvement over no notice at all.

Gee. You got me all hopeful about SRO for a minute there.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

StanleyF wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:

I had the same thing. Maybe Cary Bennett saw the last libel show.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”