UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uvabro

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby uvabro » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:11 am

so what grades will i need for SoCal with no ties? my exams def aren't boring reads but might be a little bit too out there - crazy in depth on what i considered the big issues, skipped many other stuff, but cracked out 2200-2500 wph.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:45 am

uvabro wrote:so what grades will i need for SoCal with no ties? my exams def aren't boring reads but might be a little bit too out there - crazy in depth on what i considered the big issues, skipped many other stuff, but cracked out 2200-2500 wph.

PM me to discuss.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 am

uvabro wrote:so what grades will i need for SoCal with no ties?

I don't have direct experience, but getting a good job somewhere without ties seems extremely difficult if you're at or below median.

uvabro wrote: my exams def aren't boring reads but might be a little bit too out there - crazy in depth on what i considered the big issues, skipped many other stuff, but cracked out 2200-2500 wph.

None of this matters. You'll get the grades you get when you get them, there isn't a 1L who has ever walked the earth with the ability to even ballpark exam performance.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 am

How much does it snow? I have only seen snow a few times in my life so what are some things I need to know about living in it?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

It didn't snow at all during the fall semester. It has snowed 2 days over winter break so far. Both were very light and I was still able to easily drive around. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:It didn't snow at all during the fall semester. It has snowed 2 days over winter break so far. Both were very light and I was still able to easily drive around. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Cool, thanks.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Is there a cheaper option to Chem's supp for con law? Anyone selling one? Even used on amazon it's 60 bucks

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:56 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Is there a cheaper option to Chem's supp for con law? Anyone selling one? Even used on amazon it's 60 bucks

Hit the PILA booksale early and you should be fine. Everyone gets it, so my guess is they'll have a lot of copies. I think supplements are like $25.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 am

Anyone interested in selling any of the following books?

Evidence (Fisher, 3d edition)
Evidence Statutory Supplement 2012-2013
Criminal Procedure: Investigation & Right To Counsel (Allen, 2d Edition)
Cases and Materials on the Rules of the Legal Profession (Cohran and Collett, 2d Edition)

And if anyone needs to buy Social Science in Law (7th ed.), I'm selling that one.

PM me if you want to sell or buy. Thanks.

BBALLGIRL071

Postby BBALLGIRL071 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Sorry if this has already been discussed and I just missed it... but can any UVA 2L's speak to how OCI went this year? Did pretty much everyone who wanted a big law SA position get one? How successful were the 2Ls in getting the markets they wanted? DC, CA, NY, etc. Thanks!

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 pm

BBALLGIRL071 wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed and I just missed it... but can any UVA 2L's speak to how OCI went this year? Did pretty much everyone who wanted a big law SA position get one? How successful were the 2Ls in getting the markets they wanted? DC, CA, NY, etc. Thanks!

the word through the grapevine is the students gave OCI a b+, and commented "good but speaks too much in class"

pjo

Postby pjo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Posting this again:

Selling the following:
-Property Casebook with NO highlighting/marks at all (this is the one you'll need if you have Schragger. It's loose leaf though, so it's in a plastic binder) $100
-Property E&E $20
-Cherminsky's Con Law Supplement $50
-Emmanuel Supplement for Environmental Law (This is by and large the best supp if you're taking Enviro with Cannon) $25
-Constitutional Law Case Book w/ fair amount of highlighting, marks. I'll throw in the 2011 supplement to this book which I'd imagine is identical to the 2012 supplement (This is the casebook you'll need if you have Martin, Driver or Nachbar) $100

PM me if interested.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

For those who have applied to the Jeffersonian before...how likely is a wait list number of 37. I sent right at 12 and drew some bad luck apparently.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:53 pm

BBALLGIRL071 wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed and I just missed it... but can any UVA 2L's speak to how OCI went this year? Did pretty much everyone who wanted a big law SA position get one? How successful were the 2Ls in getting the markets they wanted? DC, CA, NY, etc. Thanks!

Tippity-top of the class got whatever they wanted. I think 3.45 seemed to be good enough for NY, but that's a terribly blunt estimate, and a lot of intangibles, like interview prep, personal ties, and plain charisma matter a lot. I've heard of medians getting upwards of 8+ callbacks and 3.5s getting less than 5.

Three of my close friends struck out. I will say that they were targeting super-competitive places (like D.C.), but there was still tons of miscommunication between them and CSO. It also doesn't help that OCI is generally viewed as this now-or-never opportunity to land a job, at least for biglaw, and once November rolls around, CSO starts focusing all their attention on the 1Ls, leaving some 2Ls out in the cold.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:54 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:For those who have applied to the Jeffersonian before...how likely is a wait list number of 37. I sent right at 12 and drew some bad luck apparently.

Depends on what you applied for. I was around 45 last year and was offered an unfurnished 1-BR. The furnished places go fast.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:For those who have applied to the Jeffersonian before...how likely is a wait list number of 37. I sent right at 12 and drew some bad luck apparently.

Depends on what you applied for. I was around 45 last year and was offered an unfurnished 1-BR. The furnished places go fast.

What seem to be the most sought after, 1 or 2 bedrooms? I don't know how I expect you to know this however.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:

I applied for a 1 bedroom unfurnished, maybe I'll get lucky :)

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Br3v wrote:
bluecrab5448 wrote:

What seem to be the most sought after, 1 or 2 bedrooms? I don't know how I expect you to know this however.

Lol no idea. Most of my friends who live in Jeffersonian have roommates, and with Cville rent being cheaper than in DC or NYC, I can definitely see the allure of the 2-BR.

But I also wouldn't be too worried if you end up losing Jeffersonian. Ivy gets a bad rep but you will have a bunch of your fellow 1Ls living close by. I lived in Ivy 1L year and I'm probably going to live in Ivy 3L year too, and aside from an exploding toilet right before the journal try-out weekend, I haven't had too many problems. The walls are PAPER THIN tho.

defdef

Postby defdef » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Another family housing related question: Is it ever possible for a 2 parent 1 child family to be eligible for a 3brm place? or is that strictly limited for multiple children?

and if family housing on campus is a bust, any recommendations for areas that aren't too far from campus?

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:33 pm

anyone in UVA looking to sell a used car?

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm

defdef wrote:and if family housing on campus is a bust, any recommendations for areas that aren't too far from campus?

I know little about on grounds housing but have lived in Charlottesville for years. Do you and your partner both drive? Will you be a two car household? Do you have any idea roughly what your housing budget will be?

defdef

Postby defdef » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm

albanach wrote:
defdef wrote:and if family housing on campus is a bust, any recommendations for areas that aren't too far from campus?

I know little about on grounds housing but have lived in Charlottesville for years. Do you and your partner both drive? Will you be a two car household? Do you have any idea roughly what your housing budget will be?

the current plan is to have one car. and our housing budget is 1.1k, but preferably under

appreciate the advice if you have any!

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm

defdef wrote:the current plan is to have one car. and our housing budget is 1.1k, but preferably under

appreciate the advice if you have any!

With one car, on grounds housing has many attractions. It's well worth checking out.

If that doesn't work for you, or you'd prefer something a bit nicer, I'd look at the many apartment and town-home complexes along the route of the #5 bus. It's not great in that it runs every 30 minutes, but it does take you to within easy walking distance of the school. City buses are free for students with their ID card.

The main roads to consider for housing then would be Georgetown, Commonwealth and Four Seasons Drive. There are lots of housing options in this area that will work.

For public transit, your best alternative is to try and live closer to downtown along the route of the #8 bus. Housing there is likely to be more expensive, but the walking distance to downtown might be especially attractive.

Definitely look for private listings for houses and apartments, they're typically cheaper than the complexes. The downside is your landlord might be less prepared to help if there's a problem. The last thing you want is the water heater to blow up the week exams start and your landlord to say they can't afford to get it fixed until they get paid at the end of the month.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 pm

There are a few two bedroom + den places as well as townhouses on Arlington, which is super close, well below 1100. Just gotta look out out on Craigslist, since its mostly condos with private owners and no convenient website. If you're willing to drive ten minutes you can get all sorts of stuff in that price range.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

anon sequitur wrote:There are a few two bedroom + den places as well as townhouses on Arlington, which is super close, well below 1100. Just gotta look out out on Craigslist, since its mostly condos with private owners and no convenient website. If you're willing to drive ten minutes you can get all sorts of stuff in that price range.

Yes, I should have been clearer when I mentioned on grounds, you should look on Arlington. The biggest disadvantage is if you have a child there might be limited options for outdoor play.

There are plenty of options within a ten minute drive, but being on the bus route is going to be helpful if you have a partner and a child and only one car.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”