UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Br3v wrote:What random advice would you give your 1L self if you were to go back in time?
Also, it is way to early to even start debating about 0L prep but I plan to at least read GTM towards summer. Well advised?
I'm looking for suggestions on anything, whether that be law school related, charlottesville related, etc.

0L prep is pointless. Skim GTM if you must.

Spend time now getting in shape and enjoying life. Have happy memories for when 1L gets rough.

Network if you want, but it's hard to do and low expected value "cold." If a UVA 0L contacted me being like "herp derp I'm going to UVA in 9 months how are you?" I'd respond politely but not go to bat with my employer for one of 360+ people per year who have that connection to me. That's not to say it can't work even when done blind/cold, and if you have more connections (smaller market, more shared background, family tie, prior employer tie, etc.) then there may be something to it... but I really doubt every 0L should be pulling lists of UVA alum to cold email.

jackson117

Postby jackson117 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Does anyone know of a good dog boarding place in Charlottesville or the surrounding area?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:What random advice would you give your 1L self if you were to go back in time?
Also, it is way to early to even start debating about 0L prep but I plan to at least read GTM towards summer. Well advised?
I'm looking for suggestions on anything, whether that be law school related, charlottesville related, etc.

0L prep is pointless. Skim GTM if you must.

Spend time now getting in shape and enjoying life. Have happy memories for when 1L gets rough.

Network if you want, but it's hard to do and low expected value "cold." If a UVA 0L contacted me being like "herp derp I'm going to UVA in 9 months how are you?" I'd respond politely but not go to bat with my employer for one of 360+ people per year who have that connection to me. That's not to say it can't work even when done blind/cold, and if you have more connections (smaller market, more shared background, family tie, prior employer tie, etc.) then there may be something to it... but I really doubt every 0L should be pulling lists of UVA alum to cold email.

I found 0L and 1L Christmas network to be helpful, but that was 1) in a smaller market for UVa alumni and 2) the rest were family connections/ties. If you're in a smaller market, hit up all your UVa Law alumni for lunch/coffee to ask for their advice on law school. Do the same in a big market with any attorneys that you have ties/connections with through family and family friends. Even if it doesn't land you a job after law school, it's still worth getting advice from someone who is in the field you're wanting to go into. Especially as a 0L, you likely know nothing about what the practice of law is like other than your Grisham novels and your Law & Order appointment every afternoon. These people can provide you some insight into the soul-crushing reality of being a barrister.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Br3v wrote:Pjo that sounds like a great idea I never would have thought of, thank you. My follow up Q, what do I say to them? "Hi I'm Br3v and I'm going to UVA"? Also, who at UVA should I contact for alum info?

I agree and disagree with what Sealocust said. I probably should have highlighted the part where I said if you're from a secondary market. Networking as an 0L was EXTREMELY helpful for me, but I'm also from a market that has a total of about 20 UVA law alums. Reaching out to all of them was fairly easy (just search each firm's website by law school). While not all were receptive, the majority were, and as I said before, many went to bat for me to help me get interviews prior to OGI. I don't think this would work if you were trying to do this in NYC/DC/LA because as Seal said, there's just too many UVA ppl gunning for those markets, you're aren't unique. However, if you're generally interested in a secondary market, the UVA alums in secondary markets tend to really want more UVA alums in the area and they usually will do what they can to help you out (at least from my own experience).

There are two ways to reach out to these people: 1) a firm website search by school (like I said above) and 2) I remember when I was deciding where to go, the admissions office sent out emails asking if we wanted them to put us in touch with an alum. I was pretty specific in my requests, and they set me up with phone meetings with UVA alums in the market I requested. Although we technically were supposed to be talking about "why uva" I always shaped it as "how is UVA with placing in the market", which always led to working in the market etc. I don't know if the admissions office will do this though if you've already committed.

If I were cold-emailing, I would introduce myself, say I was going to UVA, say you saw they went to UVA and say you were hoping to get their advice about attending the school and positioning yourself to come back to the area after graduation. Keep it short (like 3-4 sentences); they're probably reading it on a blackberry. Say if possible you would love to grab coffee, but you understand if they're too busy to meet and talking by phone would be fine as well. Always stress that it's at their convenience (you MUST be fine with whatever day/time they suggest) and you would really appreciate their insight but understand if they are too busy currently and maybe it would be better to connect at a later day (i.e. always give them a polite way to say "no").

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Still hoping someone out there will send me the fed income tax calculation spread sheet. Please share the wealth! Thanks.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

pjo wrote:Still hoping someone out there will send me the fed income tax calculation spread sheet. Please share the wealth! Thanks.

If it exists it still hasn't found its way into my hands. Sorry, bud.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for all the input on that last question.

If one was looking to live in a house, location wise where would be the best bet in terms of price/proximity to campus and parking for campus

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 pm

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Br3v wrote:Thanks for all the input on that last question.

If one was looking to live in a house, location wise where would be the best bet in terms of price/proximity to campus and parking for campus

Tell us more about why you want a house and it will be easier to offer suggestions? Do you have family? Just brining a lot of stuff? Will you be sharing with other students? Do you want to go out regulalry (like several times a week) with classmates?

There's parking at the law school for those who don't live right next door, though not right outside the door for most 1Ls, you have to walk about three hundred yards.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm

jackson117 wrote:Does anyone know of a good dog boarding place in Charlottesville or the surrounding area?

We board with our vet. If you're looking for someone with a farm where your dog can run with friends all day, that might not be the place for you, but we've had no complaints over many years using them.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Are there any numbers for how OCI went last year? % of participants who got offers? Seems like CLS and Chi have leaked these but they are hard to get for any other T14

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Are there any numbers for how OCI went last year? % of participants who got offers? Seems like CLS and Chi have leaked these but they are hard to get for any other T14

BruceWayne gave the official report on top-law-schools.com, perhaps you missed it?

Unfortunately no one received offers this year or last. Unless you're offered a full scholarship to HYS, law school will be harmful to your future prospects. Don't go.

Hoocheez

Postby Hoocheez » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 pm

albanach wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Are there any numbers for how OCI went last year? % of participants who got offers? Seems like CLS and Chi have leaked these but they are hard to get for any other T14

BruceWayne gave the official report on top-law-schools.com, perhaps you missed it?

Unfortunately no one received offers this year or last. Unless you're offered a full scholarship to HYS, law school will be harmful to your future prospects. Don't go.

At face value, this is absolute bs. Fear-mongering at its best. Sad to see such idiocy finding its way into our top law school's classrooms.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Hoocheez wrote:
albanach wrote:

At face value, this is absolute bs. Fear-mongering at its best. Sad to see such idiocy finding its way into our top law school's classrooms.

albanach was being facetious and trying to make a joke at BruceWayne's expense. BruceWayne has a reputation, deserved or otherwise, for taking a dim view on the legal hiring market relative to TLS conventional wisdom.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 pm

albanach wrote:
Br3v wrote:Thanks for all the input on that last question.

Tell us more about why you want a house and it will be easier to offer suggestions? Do you have family? Just brining a lot of stuff? Will you be sharing with other students? Do you want to go out regulalry (like several times a week) with classmates?

There's parking at the law school for those who don't live right next door, though not right outside the door for most 1Ls, you have to walk about three hundred yards.

Moving up with SO and dog. House isn't a necessity but we both like the idea of getting our first "place" together. In regards to social life, I would like to be somewhat close to where other students are but I don't plan on going out "several times a week", so really location wise I am most concerned with commute time.

And thank you Ycrev, in my research so far it seems like barracks is a good place to look.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

What is Charlottesville downtown like? Worth looking for a place there?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Also, can 2L's and 3L's get Va residency?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Br3v wrote:Also, can 2L's and 3L's get Va residency?

For tuition? 99.9% no. If you were close to getting it as a 1L year, married, etc. it might not be impossible, but it's very much non-standard.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:

For tuition? 99.9% no. If you were close to getting it as a 1L year, married, etc. it might not be impossible, but it's very much non-standard.

How can someone be "close"? I mean don't you either live in state or you don't right?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

How can someone be "close"? I mean don't you either live in state or you don't right?

As you will soon learn, laws aren't black and white. VA requires an 'intent to stay' type standard for students seeking residency. One of the ways around it is to marry a VA resident.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:

This doesn't seem right. According to http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html , you need to reside in VA for 12 months prior to the first day of classes for that year, have a VA driver's license, pay VA income taxes. That means you need to move down by July of your 1L year, get a license, and file your income taxes in VA that year. Not impossible for 2L/3L

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm

I love Bruce Wayne's work.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

This doesn't seem right. According to http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html , you need to reside in VA for 12 months prior to the first day of classes for that year, have a VA driver's license, pay VA income taxes. That means you need to move down by July of your 1L year, get a license, and file your income taxes in VA that year. Not impossible for 2L/3L

I love that you cite TLS as some sort of law.

Section 05. Residence for educational purposes.

A. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes will not confer domiciliary status. For example, a student who moves to Virginia for the primary purposes of becoming a full-time student is not a Virginia domiciliary, even if the student has been in Virginia for the required one-year period.

http://www.schev.edu/students/vadomicileguidelines.asp

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 pm

5ky wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I love that you cite TLS as some sort of law.

Section 05. Residence for educational purposes.

A. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes will not confer domiciliary status. For example, a student who moves to Virginia for the primary purposes of becoming a full-time student is not a Virginia domiciliary, even if the student has been in Virginia for the required one-year period.

http://www.schev.edu/students/vadomicileguidelines.asp

This is a good resource...I never said TLS was law though. Don't be a dick

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Br3v wrote:Moving up with SO and dog. House isn't a necessity but we both like the idea of getting our first "place" together. In regards to social life, I would like to be somewhat close to where other students are but I don't plan on going out "several times a week", so really location wise I am most concerned with commute time.

And thank you Ycrev, in my research so far it seems like barracks is a good place to look.

I'd look further North. There are apartments and town homes off of Hydraulic/Commonwealth/Rio West (That's pronounced Rye-Oh). Pretty much all will offer better accommodation and better value without adding significantly to your commute. I live in that area and can leave home and get to class in Slaughter (the further away wing in the law school) in about 12 minutes.

Is your SO planning to work while here? If you know where that might have some bearing on where you want to stay.

If you read the local newspaper there are often private rentals that are significantly more affordable than managed properties. Of course you also have to deal with someone who might be less familiar with their obligations as a landlord, so that can work both ways.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”