UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mindarmed

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby mindarmed » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 am

Heat wrote:If your coming in Thursday keep in mind that at least on Saturdays game traffic is absolutely awful. Also, the night game starts at 7:30. You can get a student guest ticket for like $30. Probably cheaper to scalp it, though.

Probably gonna crash at my fraternity's UVA chapter. Hopefully they're chill.

defdef

Postby defdef » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 am

how competitive is the Program in Law and Public Service? do you need top UG grades or is the number of applicants relatively low due to biglaw self-selection?

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:02 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
Heat wrote:If your coming in Thursday keep in mind that at least on Saturdays game traffic is absolutely awful. Also, the night game starts at 7:30. You can get a student guest ticket for like $30. Probably cheaper to scalp it, though.

I have no idea how where your sleeping impacts either of those statements. I hope they are chill too though.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Heat wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

I have no idea how where your sleeping impacts either of those statements. I hope they are chill too though.

:lol:

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

new page bump
Last edited by seahawk32 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm

seahawk32 wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:Any info on Cannon's environmental law class?

new page bump

I haven't taken it.

Have you read the course evaluations? It looks like folk either love it or hate it. And there were several folk who clearly had a strong interest in environmental law who hated it, so that doesn't appear to be a deciding factor.

The very poor quality of the casebook was mentioned a lot, so it would be worth figuring out if that has been rectified.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks for the input. Yeah I read the course evals. Kind of looking for pro tips from people who have taken the course.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:23 am

seahawk32 wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:Any info on Cannon's environmental law class?

new page bump

The casebook sucks (but I think in general the company that makes the red casebooks does a shitty job compared to the company that makes the blue casebooks...and it's a red casebook). He also assumes you have a pretty decent (but not substantial) knowledge of environmental issues and science stuff. Do you know what NoX, acid rain, ozone, CO2 sequestration...stuff like that is? He assumes you do, and so do the cases. If you don't, you can learn it during the course (I had to), but you'll have to take time reading Wikipedia and stuff to learn it when you could be doing other stuff.

I took it as a 1L. Class was filled with LR people. Couldn't find a good supplement to compliment the reading, and I knew very little about the "science" behind the cases. I did ok, but I'm pretty sure my grade would have been higher in a class like PR.

The good part is that you really don't cover much, maybe 5 things: Clean Air Act, NEPA, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, APA.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 am

Someone asked a page or two back, but I'll give it another go. Any opinions on international law or professor Deeks? Lost out on the lottery, not really sure this is an appropriate class for 1L.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 am

anon sequitur wrote:Someone asked a page or two back, but I'll give it another go. Any opinions on international law or professor Deeks? Lost out on the lottery, not really sure this is an appropriate class for 1L.

Deeks sounds new, hence little/no feedback. International law is fine, neither highly desirable or highly undesirable for a 1L, hence little/no feedback.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 am

thesealocust wrote:Deeks sounds new, hence little/no feedback. International law is fine, neither highly desirable or highly undesirable for a 1L, hence little/no feedback.

Thanks, sounds good enough for me.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Heat wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

:lol:

Well this is what happens when I TLS drunk.

sherpaorlawschool

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 am

Anyone have any insight about tackling Harrison exams? I have no idea what his foreign relations exam will look like.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:Anyone have any insight about tackling Harrison exams? I have no idea what his foreign relations exam will look like.

+1 for his crim law exam

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:26 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:Anyone have any insight about tackling Harrison exams? I have no idea what his foreign relations exam will look like.

+1 for his crim law exam

If either are anything like his property exam, it's pretty straightforward. Some questions are pretty issue-spottery. Some are pretty theoretical. There was nothing absolutely wacky expect, perhaps, for a question on an obscure case from the beginning of the semester.

With that said, I hope his foreign relations exam is something similar to that.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Can any current 1Ls tell me if there are midterms (and if so, when) or whether we only have finals. If there are not midterms, is there any time other than finals that will be hectic and full of studying? My sister is trying to plan her wedding for next fall (around september/october) and I just want to tell her if there's a specific week I'll be really busy.

Thanks!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Can any current 1Ls tell me if there are midterms (and if so, when) or whether we only have finals. If there are not midterms, is there any time other than finals that will be hectic and full of studying? My sister is trying to plan her wedding for next fall (around september/october) and I just want to tell her if there's a specific week I'll be really busy.

Thanks!

Generally each 1L section will have 0-1 professors who give a midterm, but it can be hard to predict the timing. 1L tends to be very social and calm in August and September and a little more neurotic/crazed in November, positively fever-pitch in December. October you'll start having memo due dates in LRW, might have midterms, and some people will start getting stressed but it's still going to have calm times.

If she picks a date in September, there's a 99.9% chance you won't have an issue.

The school also probably publishes the fall break schedule - a 4 day weekend sometime generally in October - which would obviously be a perfect time.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:34 am

thesealocust wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Can any current 1Ls tell me if there are midterms (and if so, when) or whether we only have finals. If there are not midterms, is there any time other than finals that will be hectic and full of studying? My sister is trying to plan her wedding for next fall (around september/october) and I just want to tell her if there's a specific week I'll be really busy.

Thanks!

Generally each 1L section will have 0-1 professors who give a midterm, but it can be hard to predict the timing. 1L tends to be very social and calm in August and September and a little more neurotic/crazed in November, positively fever-pitch in December. October you'll start having memo due dates in LRW, might have midterms, and some people will start getting stressed but it's still going to have calm times.

If she picks a date in September, there's a 99.9% chance you won't have an issue.

The school also probably publishes the fall break schedule - a 4 day weekend sometime generally in October - which would obviously be a perfect time.

Thank you! This was super helpful

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:00 am

Fall break is tentatively scheduled from Monday, October 7 - Wednesday, October 9. Obviously you have the weekend before off.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Fire Mike London.

Postby 2014 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:08 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Fire Mike London.

Solid post #1k :lol:

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

If anyone on here has the calculation spread sheet for Fed Tax, I would appreciate if you could PM it to me. Thanks!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:07 am

What random advice would you give your 1L self if you were to go back in time?
Also, it is way to early to even start debating about 0L prep but I plan to at least read GTM towards summer. Well advised?
I'm looking for suggestions on anything, whether that be law school related, charlottesville related, etc.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 am

Br3v wrote:What random advice would you give your 1L self if you were to go back in time?
Also, it is way to early to even start debating about 0L prep but I plan to at least read GTM towards summer. Well advised?
I'm looking for suggestions on anything, whether that be law school related, charlottesville related, etc.

The only thing I did as an 0L that was helpful (and I felt it ended up being pretty helpful): take some time to work on/update your resume. You should be able to access the sample resume on the UVA law website and just work off that template (the one on Harvard Law is good too). Also, if you are from a secondary market, make a list of all the larger firms (>50), with their name, address, hiring recruiter, managing partner, specialty (if any), if they have accepted 1Ls in the past, and how to apply. You can also do this with public interest firms/government positions (like DA's/PD's offices). If at all possible, try to meet someone at each of those places. Talk to friends and family and see if they know someone there (you'd be surprised). You can also contact UVA and ask them if they can put you in touch with an alum in the area (and more often than not, they work at one of those firms).

There's two reasons why this is helpful: 1) when you would be doing this otherwise (slightly prior to Dec. 1) you'll just want to be studying for finals, so most people half-ass the 1L job search at first because they don't have time to really put in the necessary time to find elusive 1L SA positions (although they do exist, but they go fast. If you wait until after finals to apply, you won't get one). The second reason this is helpful pertains to the last part (contacting people at the firm). Networking doesn't work for most people because they only network when they need something. Networking is just building relationships. It takes time, and you can't just reach out when you need something. If you wait to start until a few months before OGI (like most people), you're too late. UVA alums are especially great about helping out other UVA law students, but you still have to be genuine. I reached out to about 5 UVA alums as an 0L (after I knew I was heading to UVA), I kept in touch with them throughout 1L and into 2L. All of them took me out to lunch over 1L Christmas break, and one got me my interview for my 1L SA job. When OGI rolled around, I just submitted my stuff to them, rather than the recruiter and they made sure I got interviews (all of them did this). They don't get you the job (unless they're the hiring partner), but they can get you interviews.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am

Pjo that sounds like a great idea I never would have thought of, thank you. My follow up Q, what do I say to them? "Hi I'm Br3v and I'm going to UVA"? Also, who at UVA should I contact for alum info?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”