UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gunna4Life

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Gunna4Life » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 am

albanach wrote:
Gunna4Life wrote:
Sorry I did not clarify. Prof Brooks use to teach at UVA, and now she is at GULC. Thanks in advance!

Con Law!

That's not really my point. Most professors make past exams available via our online system, lawweb. When we download them we usually have to agree not to share them or redistribute them. To do so would be an honor violation.

I'd suggest asking your prof directly for more past exams.

There's an outline from 2007 you can find on the Virginia SBA website. That might be helpful.

Sorry, I didn't know it involved the honor code. If it doesn't, Id appreciate it.

And thanks for the insight on the outline!

chem

Postby chem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 am

Would ya'll suggest

Fed Tax
Evidence
Evidence
Evidence

as a class list or

Evidence
Evidence
Evidence
Tax

?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 am

chem wrote:Would ya'll suggest

Fed Tax
Evidence
Evidence
Evidence

as a class list or

Evidence
Evidence
Evidence
Tax

?

I'd probably go:

Evidence (Collins)
Evidence (Barzun)
Tax
Evidence (Brown)

Can't imagine Brown's Evidence starting at 8:50 is going to fill up when there are two other sections out there. Also doubt Tax fills up because it rarely does. Collins will absolutely fill very quickly, Barzun's probably will.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Word on the street has it that there's a supersecret, but superawesome excel spreadsheet floating around for Fed Income tax which vastly simplifies the calculations. If you've got a copy you're willing to share, shoot me a PM and I will love you forever.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm

dailygrind wrote:Word on the street has it that there's a supersecret, but superawesome excel spreadsheet floating around for Fed Income tax which vastly simplifies the calculations. If you've got a copy you're willing to share, shoot me a PM and I will love you forever.

On that note, is Fed income tax a bad idea as a 1L if you dont have any experience in accounting/tax/finance? Or does it assume no prior knowledge?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:52 pm

dailygrind wrote:Word on the street has it that there's a supersecret, but superawesome excel spreadsheet floating around for Fed Income tax which vastly simplifies the calculations. If you've got a copy you're willing to share, shoot me a PM and I will love you forever.

I can only speak authoritatively on Robinson's class, but I can't imagine a Fed Income Tax final that would require anything but the most basic calculations.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:

On that note, is Fed income tax a bad idea as a 1L if you dont have any experience in accounting/tax/finance? Or does it assume no prior knowledge?

It helps if you have a background in finance or something similar. It makes the concepts more intuitive. You could definitely roll in there with no prior background and do well, but it'd be a little bit harder to compete. I'd probably avoid it, but mostly for reasons that have little to do with backgrounds in finance - in my professional opinion this class blows goat chunks. So. Many. Goddamn. Rules.

bgdddymtty wrote:

I can only speak authoritatively on Robinson's class, but I can't imagine a Fed Income Tax final that would require anything but the most basic calculations.

Yeah, I think it simplifies depreciation (the one that's not straight line is computationally irritating), and maybe a few other things. It's an open question whether the prof would be dick enough to put a computationally irritating problem on a law school exam, but hey, if there's a spreadsheet that simplifies it, that'd be nice.

thand42292

Postby thand42292 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Hey guys,

In undergrad, I was able to get a gig working a computer lab making minimum wage-is a situation like that at all possible at Virginia Law? Do you know anybody who does part-time gigs for "beer money" while at school?

Also, does anyone live in the Ranges? What's that like?

Thanks!

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 pm

I have a question pertaining to your terms of acceptance... What were the requirements for keeping your acceptance to the law school?

I have read that some peoples' acceptance letters contain a specific GPA that the person cannot fall below or something like that.. Are any of you familiar with that?

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 pm

noobishned wrote:I have a question pertaining to your terms of acceptance... What were the requirements for keeping your acceptance to the law school?

I have read that some peoples' acceptance letters contain a specific GPA that the person cannot fall below or something like that.. Are any of you familiar with that?

No they dont really care as long as it isn't drastic. Just dont send your final transcript to LSAC. They dont have to report your final GPA, just what LSAC has.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm

noobishned wrote:I have a question pertaining to your terms of acceptance... What were the requirements for keeping your acceptance to the law school?

No they dont really care as long as it isn't drastic. Just dont send your final transcript to LSAC. They dont have to report your final GPA, just what LSAC has.

Thanks for the reply! I am just worried b/c I really want to be able to go this year but I have two horrible teachers and my GPA will probably drop this semester! Ugh. Only time will tell I guess!

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:30 pm

noobishned wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I am just worried b/c I really want to be able to go this year but I have two horrible teachers and my GPA will probably drop this semester! Ugh. Only time will tell I guess!

What do you mean go this year? Start in August? Seriously, if you are accepted you dont even need to turn in your final transcript till you are in classes here.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

thand42292 wrote:Hey guys,

In undergrad, I was able to get a gig working a computer lab making minimum wage-is a situation like that at all possible at Virginia Law? Do you know anybody who does part-time gigs for "beer money" while at school?

Also, does anyone live in the Ranges? What's that like?

Thanks!

Some people do have part-time jobs. I'm an LSAT teacher/tutor, which (for the right company) is about as high-paying a gig as you're likely to get during school. Other folks are Lexus/Westlaw reps or research assistants for professors or local attorneys. One particularly imposing 3L even works as a bouncer at a bar on the Corner.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 am

0L applying next cycle here, trying to decide where I'm going to ED as a splitter. Are football games well attended by law students at UVA? My UG had zero sports to speak of.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 am

armedwithamind wrote:0L applying next cycle here, trying to decide where I'm going to ED as a splitter. Are football games well attended by law students at UVA? My UG had zero sports to speak of.

There are definitely groups that go to most the games. But if college football is an important factor, none of the T14 will do well except Berkeley. Texas is probably closest to a T14 with a great football tradition.

I think UVA has one of the better ones in the T14 though.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 am

armedwithamind wrote:0L applying next cycle here, trying to decide where I'm going to ED as a splitter. Are football games well attended by law students at UVA? My UG had zero sports to speak of.

There are definitely groups that go to most the games. But if college football is an important factor, none of the T14 will do well except Berkeley. Texas is probably closest to a T14 with a great football tradition.

Michigan.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 am

Tom Joad wrote:

Michigan.
This. Also, Stanford has been to BCS bowls the last two years and controls their own destiny to go to another this season.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

I would say that if you had no sports to speak of you'll be pleased with UVa sports. Coming from an undergrad that didn't even have a football team I think the games are well attended. UVa isn't a power house football team but we do play big names. We have prime time games (case in point last Saturday and this Thursday). We also have a top 20 recruiting class coming in. I'd still imagine Michigan's atmosphere is better.

Also, if you like basketball that's points for UVa which has a sweet arena.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:59 am

Awesome thanks a bunch. I'm probably going to drive down on a Thursday night to check out a couple classes Friday morning. Any recommendations out of this list?

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/about/visit.htm#schedule

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Awesome thanks a bunch. I'm probably going to drive down on a Thursday night to check out a couple classes Friday morning. Any recommendations out of this list?

I hear Dean Mahoney's great. If you're thinking about practicing criminal law, Bowers is well-respected/a cool guy.

It's too bad you're not coming on a Monday. Abraham/Mahoney/Geis/Coughlin is an all-star line-up.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:Awesome thanks a bunch. I'm probably going to drive down on a Thursday night to check out a couple classes Friday morning. Any recommendations out of this list?

I hear Dean Mahoney's great. If you're thinking about practicing criminal law, Bowers is well-respected/a cool guy.

It's too bad you're not coming on a Monday. Abraham/Mahoney/Geis/Coughlin is an all-star line-up.

Will definitely check out Bowers then. Thanks for the tip.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm

If your coming in Thursday keep in mind that at least on Saturdays game traffic is absolutely awful. Also, the night game starts at 7:30. You can get a student guest ticket for like $30. Probably cheaper to scalp it, though.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm

got killed with the lottery. do firms care what classes u take at oci?

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 pm

uvabro wrote:got killed with the lottery. do firms care what classes u take at oci?

First off, don't worry - you'll get courses during January add/drop.

Secondly, employers care much more about grades than courses. Saying you struck out in the lottery and are now taking X,Y and Z in your 2L year should satisfy any interviewer.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 pm

lottery sucks
Last edited by seahawk32 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”