albanach wrote:Twiqbal wrote:Three more questions about 1L Spring classes:
1. What is the grade distribution like in Professional Responsibility (Hylton AND Ryan)?
2. One of the classes I am considering offers an optional paper instead of an exam. How does grading work in these scenarios? Are the papers integrated into the curve?
3. How is International Law with Deeks?
1. I don't know about PR with Hylton & Ryan, but you can look at the grade distributions in student records or the library. They really should put these online.
2. Professors have to hit a median grade, so papers have to be included in the curve against those who take exams. I think there's usually a lot of B+ grades with the few exceptional papers / exams doing better and the ones that show signs of little effort compensating with a B. You can probably establish that yourself when you check the grades for Q1.
Don't know about 3, sorry.
Yep, check the SRO or library (where the DVDs are) and you'll find books of all the grades.
The only other thing I'll add is that professors have to hit a mean GPA (3.25 to 3.35), not a median. For seminars, there's some complex formula the professors can use to raise the mean if the average student GPA in the class is so high.