UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:19 am

Would one of you mind posting the new medians after your orientation today?

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted ED negotiated any amount of $$$ from the school? I'm applying ED since I'm an extreme splitter, but the possibility of negotiating some money because of need/merit (LSAT) would be nice.

1. You might receive a scholarship if you're admitted via ED, but you won't be in the position to negotiate anything.
2. Very few schools, if any, give out need-based scholarships. "Need-based" aid is given in the form of loans--and everyone qualifies, so it's not really need-based.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Has anyone who has been admitted ED negotiated any amount of $$$ from the school? I'm applying ED since I'm an extreme splitter, but the possibility of negotiating some money because of need/merit (LSAT) would be nice.

1. You might receive a scholarship if you're admitted via ED, but you won't be in the position to negotiate anything.
2. Very few schools, if any, give out need-based scholarships. "Need-based" aid is given in the form of loans--and everyone qualifies, so it's not really need-based.
On point 1, I heard of one UVA ED admit from last cycle who retook the LSAT in December post acceptance, talked to Dean Richard and got some more $$ (he/she didn't say how much). Just wondering if there were any other people who encountered something along those lines or just actually emailed to see if they could get some money (and if they actually got any). I realize that its not really "negotiation" in the normal law school sense since ED admits have no leverage.

On point 2, UVA specifically says that scholarships are awarded on a combination of merit/need (weighted more towards merit). I realize most of the need-based aid is loans, but I'm hoping some do receive those merit/need scholarships (even if they're small). I'm just trying to figure out what prospects I have moving forward if I'm accepted since I will be applying ED.

616rewind
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 616rewind » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 am

How can you tell if a class has a first day requirement?

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 am

616rewind wrote:How can you tell if a class has a first day requirement?


Many professors will e-mail you about it. You can also sign on to Law Web, and you should see a list of your classes. Click on the class, and most professors will have uploaded a syllabus.

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm

AllDangle wrote:Would one of you mind posting the new medians after your orientation today?

Anyone?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm

AllDangle wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Would one of you mind posting the new medians after your orientation today?

Anyone?


They actually did not say...

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Would one of you mind posting the new medians after your orientation today?

Anyone?


They actually did not say...


Did they tell you that you're the best class ever?

jediknight2424
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 am

albanach wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Would one of you mind posting the new medians after your orientation today?

Anyone?


They actually did not say...


Did they tell you that you're the best class ever?


i don't think they did actually. someone correct me if im wrong

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:
i don't think they did actually. someone correct me if im wrong


You would've remembered

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm selling these hornbooks:

Civ Pro E&E, Glannon $10
Crim, Peter Low $5
Contracts, Chirelstein $5
Tort, Abraham $5

PM me if you are interested.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:
i don't think they did actually. someone correct me if im wrong


You would've remembered


I dont think they said that either actually.

I will say this, it is the first week and I feel a little overwhelmed with an assignment. I dont know if I am going to in depth and taking to many notes in the readings or just not sure what to look for. But there is no way it should be taking me this long I dont think. It also makes it hard not knowing if the notes I am taking are even going to be useful or if I am going about it poorly.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 pm

It's normal to have no clue.

FWIW, I think you could literally have skipped the first 2-3 weeks of all of my classes and not been in any danger of losing points on the exam as a result. Possible exception civ pro, where real-law started more like a week in.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
I will say this, it is the first week and I feel a little overwhelmed with an assignment. I dont know if I am going to in depth and taking to many notes in the readings or just not sure what to look for. But there is no way it should be taking me this long I dont think. It also makes it hard not knowing if the notes I am taking are even going to be useful or if I am going about it poorly.


You might want to try a different, faster approach. Try reading the cases, highlighting as you go, and then writing a case brief once you're done. The case brief should be very short, and shouldn't take more than 5 to 10 minutes to write. If you were assigned "The Lawyer's Craft" for LRW, chapter 3 discusses reading cases and writing briefs.

You don't need to memorize or dissect the cases, so taking copious notes as you read is probably overkill. You are reading them so you can go into class and understand what the professor is saying. If you get cold called, as long as you've read the case, you'll do fine.

When you start doing outlines, you will realize that most of the cases that seemed so sprawling and complicated the first time through really become a one sentence holding in your outline. The exceptions will be those that lay out multi-prong tests that have become the black-letter law, and those are the easiest cases to deal with.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chem » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 pm

I haven't heard anything, but from the median thread

KevinP wrote:
top30man wrote:Last cycle was very telling. Between traditionally stingy schools being generous (eg Gulc) and schools awarding significant money off the wl the paradigm has changed. I think the most interesting immediate indicator is what happens with ED this year (eg relaxing of Gpa
Floors). We should know a couple months into the cycle if it will be another cycle indicative of this new normal.

Yeah. I'm hoping apps dive even more so that even this "new normal" looks tame in comparison.

justonemoregame wrote:any news on UVA's profile?

Virginia (#7): 170 (0), 3.87 (+.01), 358 (+1, +0.28%)

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:07 pm

chem wrote:I haven't heard anything, but from the median thread

KevinP wrote:
top30man wrote:Last cycle was very telling. Between traditionally stingy schools being generous (eg Gulc) and schools awarding significant money off the wl the paradigm has changed. I think the most interesting immediate indicator is what happens with ED this year (eg relaxing of Gpa
Floors). We should know a couple months into the cycle if it will be another cycle indicative of this new normal.

Yeah. I'm hoping apps dive even more so that even this "new normal" looks tame in comparison.

justonemoregame wrote:any news on UVA's profile?

Virginia (#7): 170 (0), 3.87 (+.01), 358 (+1, +0.28%)
UVA posted the medians as a news story on its website.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Where can we see a professors grade distribution?

I would like to see which ones give me As and therefore more below B+ and which give a crapton of B+

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Where can we see a professors grade distribution?

I would like to see which ones give me As and therefore more below B+ and which give a crapton of B+


There's a book in the reserve room in the library and a book in student records.

Don't worry about it. There's really no reason to change your "strategy" based on the prof's curve. You should try to learn all the laws then get all the points no matter what distribution is involved. Grades are way too chaotic to be able to game based on distributions.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Where can we see a professors grade distribution?

I would like to see which ones give me As and therefore more below B+ and which give a crapton of B+


There's a book in the reserve room in the library and a book in student records.

Don't worry about it. There's really no reason to change your "strategy" based on the prof's curve. You should try to learn all the laws then get all the points no matter what distribution is involved. Grades are way too chaotic to be able to game based on distributions.


Got it. How do we go about finding an outline for the classes we are taking. I am more interested in seeing what should be incorporated than one to study off of. I would like to end up making my own but have no idea what the difference between an outline and the regular notes I take when studying should be.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Where can we see a professors grade distribution?

I would like to see which ones give me As and therefore more below B+ and which give a crapton of B+


There's a book in the reserve room in the library and a book in student records.

Don't worry about it. There's really no reason to change your "strategy" based on the prof's curve. You should try to learn all the laws then get all the points no matter what distribution is involved. Grades are way too chaotic to be able to game based on distributions.


Got it. How do we go about finding an outline for the classes we are taking. I am more interested in seeing what should be incorporated than one to study off of. I would like to end up making my own but have no idea what the difference between an outline and the regular notes I take when studying should be.


Google 'UVA SBA outline bank' and it'll come up. But really, you need to relax at this point. There is no way you should be outlining; you don't know how to outline, nor will you yet be able to tell what the most important part of the reading is (which will go in the outline). I don't starting outlining until mid-November. Also, the point of outlining is not to have a good outline, it's to memorize the material. Outlining now is not going to help you memorize the material in December, so don't bother.

The only thing you should be doing right now is what was suggested earlier. Read, highlight, take some quick notes that will allow you to follow the professor in class, then take notes on what the professor said in class. The first month of law school is really about understanding how to read cases and what you should get out of them. This gets easier and easier, and you get much faster at doing it. Ignore all the other stuff. You don't need to gun it. Just do your work, take a deep breath, and have faith that it will all start to come together by the time it matters.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:32 pm

dixon02 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Where can we see a professors grade distribution?

I would like to see which ones give me As and therefore more below B+ and which give a crapton of B+


There's a book in the reserve room in the library and a book in student records.

Don't worry about it. There's really no reason to change your "strategy" based on the prof's curve. You should try to learn all the laws then get all the points no matter what distribution is involved. Grades are way too chaotic to be able to game based on distributions.


Got it. How do we go about finding an outline for the classes we are taking. I am more interested in seeing what should be incorporated than one to study off of. I would like to end up making my own but have no idea what the difference between an outline and the regular notes I take when studying should be.


Google 'UVA SBA outline bank' and it'll come up. But really, you need to relax at this point. There is no way you should be outlining; you don't know how to outline, nor will you yet be able to tell what the most important part of the reading is (which will go in the outline). I don't starting outlining until mid-November. Also, the point of outlining is not to have a good outline, it's to memorize the material. Outlining now is not going to help you memorize the material in December, so don't bother.

The only thing you should be doing right now is what was suggested earlier. Read, highlight, take some quick notes that will allow you to follow the professor in class, then take notes on what the professor said in class. The first month of law school is really about understanding how to read cases and what you should get out of them. This gets easier and easier, and you get much faster at doing it. Ignore all the other stuff. You don't need to gun it. Just do your work, take a deep breath, and have faith that it will all start to come together by the time it matters.


This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm

dixon02 wrote:Google 'UVA SBA outline bank' and it'll come up. But really, you need to relax at this point. There is no way you should be outlining; you don't know how to outline, nor will you yet be able to tell what the most important part of the reading is (which will go in the outline).

While I agree with the general message of "Relax!" I think there is significant value in downloading and following along with an outline for the very reason that you don't yet (necessarily) know what you're looking for. You shouldn't try to cut corners and rely exclusively on others' work, but it's helpful to read a case, get an idea of what you think is important, and then look at what a (successful) student with some experience and hindsight thinks you should take away from it. Likewise with professors' lectures.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I think there is significant value in downloading and following along with an outline for the very reason that you don't yet (necessarily) know what you're looking for. You shouldn't try to cut corners and rely exclusively on others' work, but it's helpful to read a case, get an idea of what you think is important, and then look at what a (successful) student with some experience and hindsight thinks you should take away from it. Likewise with professors' lectures.


Along these same lines, I found that using canned briefs -- the ones you can buy that are keyed to your casebook -- was helpful in the first semester. I'd brief a case, then look at the canned brief to see if I'd understood the case.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I worked exclusively off the outlines of others and have done just fine. To each their own.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm

.
Last edited by plenipotentiary on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests