UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
joan_mgl

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby joan_mgl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks for the tip dude. really appreciate it!
joemoviebuff wrote:
joan_mgl wrote:What about this set?
Section G:
Civil Procedure-Woolhandler, Nettie A.
Contracts-Mahoney, Paul G.
Criminal Law-Harrison, John C.
Legal Research and Writng (YR)Moran, Karen M.
Torts ( Sprigman)

Woolhandler is the nicest lady you'll ever meet and your cold calls will be really easy, but she's an incredibly shitty teacher. My classmates said she was a lot better at explaining the material one on one, so make sure you take advantage of her office hours. Sprigman assigns a lot of reading, and sometimes adds a hefty assignment without much notice at all. He's also very smug but I felt he was an effective teacher and overall I had a favorable experience in his class.

joan_mgl

Postby joan_mgl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Aw man! Can you elaborate?

RVP11 wrote:
Section G:
Torts ( Sprigman)

Ouch.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:03 pm

joan_mgl wrote:Aw man! Can you elaborate?

RVP11 wrote:
Section G:
Torts ( Sprigman)

Ouch.

Mahoney: one of the best professors.
Sprigman: kind of a douche, and has ridiculous expectations of student reading.
Harrison: bizarre human being.
Woolhandler: I've heard she's bad.

MobyDick

Postby MobyDick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 pm

How about this set? Particularly Sinclair, Harmon, and Buck.

Section F
Civ Pro – Sinclair (MTR) 2:10-3:30
Contracts (w/ D) – Geis (MWR) 10-11:20
Crim Law (w/ E and J) – Harmon (MW) 3:40-5
LWR – Buck (F) 10-11
Torts (w/ G and K) – Sprigman (TRF) 8:30-9:50

Thanks!

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Last edited by seahawk32 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:33 pm

when do we get syllabi? first day of class?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:35 pm

MobyDick wrote:How about this set? Particularly Sinclair, Harmon, and Buck.

Section F
Civ Pro – Sinclair (MTR) 2:10-3:30
Contracts (w/ D) – Geis (MWR) 10-11:20
Crim Law (w/ E and J) – Harmon (MW) 3:40-5
LWR – Buck (F) 10-11
Torts (w/ G and K) – Sprigman (TRF) 8:30-9:50

Thanks!

Read the post from Esq. here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86231&start=4275

Good luck!

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:when do we get syllabi? first day of class?

You'll typically have reading to do for the first day of class and folk will be cold called on it. Terrifying as that might be, it's actually good to be cold called when there's no real expectation upon you to know anythiung.

Usually you'll get the syllabus on law web in advance. If not you'll get the first one or two assignments posted and get the syllabus at some point in the first week. Depends on the professor, whether they have tought the course recently and whether or not the casebook has changed.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:04 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Armacost - She can be a tough cookie, but people seem to like her. She's had some scathing cold calls from what I've heard. She's a good professor all things considered.

Bowers - He's cool. He's young, energetic and really into the subject matter. He was a Bronx public defender which is the Yankees of PD offices. You'll like him.

Stewart - She's sweet and totally adorable. She's a good LRW professor, but it's pass/fail and only meets an hour a week so there's less interaction.

I'm one of the people who really liked Armacost. Had her for Torts and then took 2 more classes with her, basically took the last one just because she was teaching it. I'd say she can be a little strict in 1L classes, but most profs are at least stricter with 1st semester 1Ls. I thought she was one of the best lecturers I had at the law school. Obviously opinions vary, but I just felt like she explained things very clearly. Plus, she usually starts her lectures with a 10-15 minute review of what you talked about last time and how it all fits into the bigger picture, which is very helpful, especially 1L year when it can be easy to lose the forest for the trees, as they say. Oh, also, she is just plain one of the nicest human beings I have ever met.

As far as tips for torts with her, she is really into the facts of the cases, so I would make sure you pay attention to the details when you are preparing for class. She also loves note cases. She has a tendency to have something really particular in mind that she's looking for during a cold call, and it can be hard to hit on the exact phrasing she's looking for, which I know can frustrate people. However, I wouldn't sweat that, because as long as you demonstrate with your answers that you read the case, she's not going to flip out about it (although she'll probably keep questioning you). Also, if you ever are unable to be prepared for class for some reason, just email her about it. She's really good about not calling on you if you email her ahead of time, as long as you don't abuse it. (But she does tend to get irritated if you do get called on and then say that you're not prepared, possibly more so than other profs, probably because she does give you this option.)

tl;dr version: Armacost is a solid lecturer who likes to ask questions about the facts and note cases.

ETA: The stuff about note cases. Not sure how I forgot about that.
Last edited by ILikeIke on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh, and about Harrison--he is another one of my favorite profs. I'd say he's definitely a love him or hate him kind of professor, though. He's incredibly funny, and he actually does explain things really well, but you have to trust that there's a method to his madness. Basically, it will often seem like he's just telling random stories (and a lot of people zone out or start gchatting like crazy when that happens), but he actually really crafts everything to relate back and support the point he's trying to get across, although this may not be clear until the very end of the semester when you are going through your notes to outline.

My advice for his class is to stay with it and try not to allow yourself to zone out, because he does have a point. Also, do not interrupt him with questions during class--like I said, he seems to really carefully craft his lectures, and if you start interrupting with questions from last time or whatever, it'll completely throw him off. (You can just ask him your questions after class, that's fine.)

princesspeach123

Postby princesspeach123 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Just got my schedule. Does anyone have general advice and/or supplement advice? I'm also looking for good outlines to follow along in class. Send me a PM if you can help. I'd be really really grateful.

Civil Procedure Collins, Michael G.
Contracts Johnston, Jason S.
Criminal Law Bonnie, Richard J.
Legal Research Stewart, Sarah
Torts Armacost, Barbara E.

I'd like to know about supplements for these profs too!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 pm

You DEFINITELY don't need supplements of any stripe during the first month of law school. Chill on those for a while, you'll be surprised how obvious it can be come (some profs straight up recommend one on their syllabus, etc.)

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm

RVP11 wrote:Sprigman: kind of a douche, and has ridiculous expectations of student reading.

Dude gave me an 80 page reading assignment once. Skimmed like a motherfucker and prayed I wouldn't be cold called.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Is he the one who wrote a memo to his class once about how sad he was that nobody did the reading and impressed upon us that we should do bullshit assignments for no particular reason because that's the true meaning of Christmas or w/e?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Maybe. There are a lot of interesting Sprigster tales floating around out there. I should note for the incoming 1Ls that some people really love the shit out of him. I don't like the dude at all, but that doesn't mean others won't enjoy his teaching style.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 pm

princesspeach123 wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:Just got my schedule. Does anyone have general advice and/or supplement advice? I'm also looking for good outlines to follow along in class. Send me a PM if you can help. I'd be really really grateful.

for CivPro I think most everyone uses the E&E.

For Crim, I think there's one by Low who is a co-author on your casebook.

Armacost will likely require Abraham and in the past has structured her teaching heavily around it without typically talking about the supplement in class. You can get a big part of your outline from the Abraham supplement if she does that again.

For contracts I used the E&E. Others might have a more specific recommendation for Johnston's class.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:Is he the one who wrote a memo to his class once about how sad he was that nobody did the reading and impressed upon us that we should do bullshit assignments for no particular reason because that's the true meaning of Christmas or w/e?

Yes.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 pm

albanach wrote:
princesspeach123 wrote:

for CivPro I think most everyone uses the E&E.

For Crim, I think there's one by Low who is a co-author on your casebook.

Armacost will likely require Abraham and in the past has structured her teaching heavily around it without typically talking about the supplement in class. You can get a big part of your outline from the Abraham supplement if she does that again.

For contracts I used the E&E. Others might have a more specific recommendation for Johnston's class.

Johnston assigned readings from Chirelstein last year.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

As far as supplements, like someone else said, profs will tell you which ones they like. I liked the E&E's for a couple of classes my first semester because they have practice questions and doing them helped me to remember not to just answer "yes" or "no." Second semester, though, I bought some supplements and never even opened them. After that I stopped buying them at all and just took thorough notes in class and studied entirely off of those. Some people love supplements, though. My point is just that you should figure out what works for you, and supplements are definitely not a necessity.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I posted this in the c/o 2015 page, but if you're a 1L and you have Mahoney for contracts, I'm selling the textbook you'll need plus the Law in a flash K Flashcards for $100 total. Just PM me if interested.

Anyone taking Evidence with Mitchell, I'm selling the casebook and the supplements I have, together for $100.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Has anyone who has been admitted ED negotiated any amount of $$$ from the school? I'm applying ED since I'm an extreme splitter, but the possibility of negotiating some money because of need/merit (LSAT) would be nice.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:15 pm

answered

hooma

Postby hooma » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Can anyone who has taken Contracts with Mahoney give an idea of how much attention we should be paying to the notes following a case? I guess I would have the same question for all classes if there is general advice. Thanks.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:51 pm

hooma wrote:Can anyone who has taken Contracts with Mahoney give an idea of how much attention we should be paying to the notes following a case? I guess I would have the same question for all classes if there is general advice. Thanks.

Not sure about Mahoney specifically, but typically Notes and Notes cases aren't usually important unless the professor tells you otherwise. 1L, I'd read through them and maybe make notes in the margins. 2L, I would read maybe half. 3L? 3Lol.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 am

desertlaw wrote:
hooma wrote:Can anyone who has taken Contracts with Mahoney give an idea of how much attention we should be paying to the notes following a case? I guess I would have the same question for all classes if there is general advice. Thanks.

Not sure about Mahoney specifically, but typically Notes and Notes cases aren't usually important unless the professor tells you otherwise. 1L, I'd read through them and maybe make notes in the margins. 2L, I would read maybe half. 3L? 3Lol.

If you have a class with Armacost, expect note cases to be covered in many classes. She will cold call on notes cases.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”