UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pjo

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Just got an email from SRO. LLMs schedule next week, transfers schedule the week after. So, if you're like me, waiting on the waitlist to see if you'll have enough credits, you won't know until like 3 days before class starts. Total bull shit.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm

616rewind wrote:So how bad is Kitch? The whole reason I signed up for corporations was to take Geis, but if I drop it now, I won't have any doctrinal classes. Does that look bad to employers?

His 60+ person slot securities regulation class often wound up being like 12 die-hards who were forced to take the class by their firm so couldn't drop it.

So... yeah. Check the course reviews.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm

pjo wrote:Just got an email from SRO. LLMs schedule next week, transfers schedule the week after. So, if you're like me, waiting on the waitlist to see if you'll have enough credits, you won't know until like 3 days before class starts. Total bull shit.

Are you actually at risk of not being able to get enough classes/credits, or is it a case of there are insufficient classes you'd like to do given their subject matter and/or time slot?

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:20 pm

albanach wrote:
pjo wrote:Just got an email from SRO. LLMs schedule next week, transfers schedule the week after. So, if you're like me, waiting on the waitlist to see if you'll have enough credits, you won't know until like 3 days before class starts. Total bull shit.

Are you actually at risk of not being able to get enough classes/credits, or is it a case of there are insufficient classes you'd like to do given their subject matter and/or time slot?

The latter, although I haven't actually looked into how many classes don't have a wait list currently. I'm currently 1 class short of the required 12 credits, so I'm assuming that there is still some 3 credit course still open and fits with my schedule. It's pretty lame though that we pay 50K+/yr and you don't even get to take classes you're interested in.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:27 pm

pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

The latter, although I haven't actually looked into how many classes don't have a wait list currently. I'm currently 1 class short of the required 12 credits, so I'm assuming that there is still some 3 credit course still open and fits with my schedule. It's pretty lame though that we pay 50K+/yr and you don't even get to take classes you're interested in.

Very often if you're willing to wait out the waitlists, you will get in.

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:
616rewind wrote:So how bad is Kitch? The whole reason I signed up for corporations was to take Geis, but if I drop it now, I won't have any doctrinal classes. Does that look bad to employers?

His 60+ person slot securities regulation class often wound up being like 12 die-hards who were forced to take the class by their firm so couldn't drop it.

So... yeah. Check the course reviews.

Bah. The people who took him last year thought he was just fine. Not saying to ignore course reviews, just bound by personality to give the glass half full response.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 am

How do I access course reviews

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 am

Pretty sure you have to be on LawWeb. Submitted Course Evaluations and such. Though there might be another way.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 am

found it breh thx

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 am

gladiator wrote:
pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

Very often if you're willing to wait out the waitlists, you will get in.

Also, don't be afraid to just straight up and ask a Professor to squeeze you in his class by increasing the cap.* I did that and it turned out not be to be a big deal or even necessary because (surprise!) people go to class for a while and then decide to withdraw from that particular class after the first week or so.

*Caveat; I did kind of know that Professor already so...you know, don't take my advice as saying you should bum rush Collins for Civ Rights Lit or something.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am

Does anyone have a Fed Income Tax textbook they're looking to sell? I don't care about the condition of the book.

Also, to 1L's, I'm selling my Crim Law book (it's the same for all crim classes) for $110. It's in good condition, minimal highlighting.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 am

pjo wrote:Does anyone have a Fed Income Tax textbook they're looking to sell? I don't care about the condition of the book.

Also, to 1L's, I'm selling my Crim Law book (it's the same for all crim classes) for $110. It's in good condition, minimal highlighting.

That's pretty high there man. You can buy it new right now for $125 and used in very good condition for like $60.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am

Lockers -- are they worth it?

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am

Heat wrote:
pjo wrote:Does anyone have a Fed Income Tax textbook they're looking to sell? I don't care about the condition of the book.

That's pretty high there man. You can buy it new right now for $125 and used in very good condition for like $60.

Fair enough, I would take $100, seeing as that's what the law school is charging for used ones. I know those amazon ones go quickly though, and considering everyone at our school uses that book, there's not 360 used ones with that price on there.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am

seahawk32 wrote:Lockers -- are they worth it?

Depends. If you live in Ivy or on Arlington I would say definitely not. If you live anywhere else, it's all personal preference.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:36 am

pjo wrote:

Depends. If you live in Ivy or on Arlington I would say definitely not. If you live anywhere else, it's all personal preference.

Carrying several casebooks and a laptop is no fun. Neither is carrying your coat all day when it's cold or wet.

I think the lockers are useful and good value.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:45 am

Yes. definitely.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 am

I have the casebook Yale used. I believe it was the same one others used. I will sell it for $60. I also have this code book http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sGITWrCyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg that I hardly touched (I had a different one that I marked the heck out of). This is the one that Yin used, but it is the same code sections for the most part. If you have Yale though, Id probably get the other one.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I had him for Corporations this past spring. I'll be blunt: he's not a great professor. We spent a surprising amount of time looking at Google maps of states where the events of the case took place or Wikipedia articles about companies that were mentioned in the casebook. We also never discussed Revlon, so I had to teach myself that for the bar exam. I never skipped class, because I don't like to do that, but I really don't think I benefited from being there.

However, on the plus side, the cold calls were never very hard, and he doesn't give a damn if you blow your cold calls. Also, I was able to teach myself the material from an old outline from another class that used the same textbook, and the exam was pretty straightforward. I'd say the benefit of Kitch's corporations is that you might not have to work very hard; the downside is that you will probably learn less than if you took another prof.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm

ILikeIke wrote:

I had him for Corporations this past spring. I'll be blunt: he's not a great professor. We spent a surprising amount of time looking at Google maps of states where the events of the case took place or Wikipedia articles about companies that were mentioned in the casebook. We also never discussed Revlon, so I had to teach myself that for the bar exam. I never skipped class, because I don't like to do that, but I really don't think I benefited from being there.

However, on the plus side, the cold calls were never very hard, and he doesn't give a damn if you blow your cold calls. Also, I was able to teach myself the material from an old outline from another class that used the same textbook, and the exam was pretty straightforward. I'd say the benefit of Kitch's corporations is that you might not have to work very hard; the downside is that you will probably learn less than if you took another prof.

That class sounds like the perfect class.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:19 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:

That class sounds like the perfect class.

Yeah, for second semester of my 3L year, it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm

are there any big malls around here? i need to buy clothes but have no store preference

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:are there any big malls around here? i need to buy clothes but have no store preference

Fashion square mall down 29, though i wouldn't describe it as "big." For the good stuff, you'll probably have to drive to Richmond.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm

pjo wrote:
Heat wrote:

Fair enough, I would take $100, seeing as that's what the law school is charging for used ones. I know those amazon ones go quickly though, and considering everyone at our school uses that book, there's not 360 used ones with that price on there.

In this thread, UVA loses its reputation for being collegial as a student tries to sell a used book to an incoming 1L for a higher price than the bookstore charges for the same used book.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Law Sauce wrote:

Yes. definitely.

For 1L? Eh.

For OGI? Hell yes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”