UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 am

When is the add/drop period? And was Geis's Corp class completely cancelled or just switch prof?

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

pjo wrote:When is the add/drop period? And was Geis's Corp class completely cancelled or just switch prof?


For now it's cancelled, but they're trying to get Kitch to take it. Even if that's the case, there will still be a mass exodus. CB said he was going to send something out soon about drop/add, so we should probably find out before 2013.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:36 am

What is up with the Civil Liberties seminar?

From the course description: "Students are graded on the basis of class participation. Neither an examination nor a paper is required."

Sounds too good to be true...

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:13 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:What is up with the Civil Liberties seminar?

From the course description: "Students are graded on the basis of class participation. Neither an examination nor a paper is required."

Sounds too good to be true...


These are the best classes. It's true. Sign up for as many with descriptions like that as you can and laugh at your friends who have 4 exams and a paper come finals time!

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey guys, when is your orientation for students entering this fall? Trying to find out when the new medians will be released.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 pm

AllDangle wrote:Hey guys, when is your orientation for students entering this fall? Trying to find out when the new medians will be released.


New medians for what? http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chem » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:59 pm

AllDangle wrote:Hey guys, when is your orientation for students entering this fall? Trying to find out when the new medians will be released.


8/20

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Median stats for the class entering this fall.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:41 pm

AllDangle wrote:Median stats for the class entering this fall.


Concerned that you may not be part of the "best class ever"?

Given we haven't heard of the entire admissions team being fired, I think you can relax.

turkeysub
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby turkeysub » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

AllDangle wrote:Median stats for the class entering this fall.


3.3

battle_tested
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby battle_tested » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:03 pm

turkeysub wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Median stats for the class entering this fall.


3.3


I think he meant admission stats, in which case, I would imagine it would be just about the same as the past few years: 3.7 and 170.

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:05 pm

I pray for 3.7, was 3.86 for last year.

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AllDangle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 pm

albanach wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Median stats for the class entering this fall.


Concerned that you may not be part of the "best class ever"?

Given we haven't heard of the entire admissions team being fired, I think you can relax.

I'm applying this fall, hoping they don't go up haha

battle_tested
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby battle_tested » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm

AllDangle wrote:I pray for 3.7, was 3.86 for last year.

.
Last edited by battle_tested on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bankrupt257
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Bankrupt257 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Vanwinkle (Or any other UVA Law Student):

Do you know how many students are accepted off of ED (ill take a rumor also if you have some idea. I believe the school has like an 11% acceptance rate regularly)?

Would me being a URM and in-state + ED give me a slight bump in chance of admissions (again a rumor is fine if there are no exact figures known)

I am trying to decide if i should apply UVA ED (which I would if i have a slight boost from your average joe/jane applicant)

Thanks

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:Vanwinkle (Or any other UVA Law Student):

Do you know how many students are accepted off of ED (ill take a rumor also if you have some idea. I believe the school has like an 11% acceptance rate regularly)?

Would me being a URM and in-state + ED give me a slight bump in chance of admissions (again a rumor is fine if there are no exact figures known)

I am trying to decide if i should apply UVA ED (which I would if i have a slight boost from your average joe/jane applicant)

Thanks


I don't even need to be a student to tell you that yes, being a URM helps. Doing ED helps. Being in state helps.

In sum, that's a good bump.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:Vanwinkle (Or any other UVA Law Student):

Do you know how many students are accepted off of ED (ill take a rumor also if you have some idea. I believe the school has like an 11% acceptance rate regularly)?

Would me being a URM and in-state + ED give me a slight bump in chance of admissions (again a rumor is fine if there are no exact figures known)

I am trying to decide if i should apply UVA ED (which I would if i have a slight boost from your average joe/jane applicant)

Thanks


I don't even need to be a student to tell you that yes, being a URM helps. Doing ED helps. Being in state helps.

In sum, that's a good bump.


This guys assessment is good. Being ED definitely gives you a bump. UVa likes the EDs because it lets them mold their class numbers to exactly what they want through knowing exactly who they will get. Being URM is a bump whether you ED or not. Being from Virginia I suppose is somewhat more debateable. Something like 40% of the students are from Virginia. Virginia has a population of somewhere around 25 million people. so for 40% of the spots you have a population of 25 million people to get applicants from in and for the other 60% you have 275 million. However, those numbers look more skewed then they are because there are probably a hell of a lot more applicants from Virginia than not and people do move to VA first to establish residency (or for other reasons but in the process establish residency).

Ultimately at least the first two factors and probably the third are all in your favor. Just keep in mind if you do ED your chances at money, while supposedly the same - (at least when I was applying) are in reality not likely to be the same. Why give scholarships to people who you know have to either accept your offer or not go to law school this year?

Edit: I just looked at through your posts quick and see your AA and 3.25. AA is a good URM to be from what I know but a 3.25 is low. That being said (you asked for anecdotal evidence) I think splitters fair well in the ED process because they can choose people to offset easier. Still you will obviously have to do well on the LSATs. The post was prior to your LSAT score so....

Bankrupt257
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Bankrupt257 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:23 am

I was just wondering...thanks.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 am

Bankrupt257 wrote:I was just wondering...thanks.


Now go crush the LSAT and join me in the UVA C/O 2016, k?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am

pjo wrote:So what happens now considering I'm only enrolled in 6 credits for this semester? Wow, I freaking hate this system.


I thought I was screwed wit 11, turns out I'm among Bennett's Chosen

Also, a "real time" add drop starting next Wednesday? I have OTIP interviews in Chicago all fucking day that day. Jesus Christ I'm gonna cut someone

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby ucbkenn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:52 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:I was just wondering...thanks.


Now go crush the LSAT and join me in the UVA C/O 2016, k?


Hey me too. Deferred this year. See you in a year!

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:47 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:I was just wondering...thanks.


Now go crush the LSAT and join me in the UVA C/O 2016, k?


Hey me too. Deferred this year. See you in a year!


Looking forward to it!

Reinschmicker
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Reinschmicker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:33 am

Anyone know when we're allowed to go to the gym? I'm getting back to CVille today, and the website says the "fall schedule" for facilities starts August 4th, but I don't remember what day we could start going last year.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Heat wrote:Being from Virginia I suppose is somewhat more debateable. Something like 40% of the students are from Virginia. Virginia has a population of somewhere around 25 million people. so for 40% of the spots you have a population of 25 million people to get applicants from in and for the other 60% you have 275 million. However, those numbers look more skewed then they are because there are probably a hell of a lot more applicants from Virginia than not and people do move to VA first to establish residency (or for other reasons but in the process establish residency).

Your intuition on this is good, but you're overstating the case. Given our ranking, UVa receives tons of applications from all over the country. The number of applications from VA residents is slightly higher than its proportion of the US population would suggest, but not overwhelmingly so. IIRC, 11% of the applications for the Class of 2013 came from VA. Given that UVa received over 8,000 total applications that year, that means that less than 1,000 VA residents competed for (at least) nearly 150 slots, while over 7,000 out-of-staters competed for (no more than) about 220 seats. That difference means that Virginians have can expect to get in with much lower numbers and/or get much more scholarship money than other folks can.

As for people showing up a year or two early, people do it (and it's very smart to do so, for the reasons set forth above), but it's not nearly as many as you might think.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I barely got into UVA because I applied instate and early decision. I'd already been waitlisted at Gtown and might not have gotten into any T14s at all were it not for being a VA resident.

If you actually look at numbers people post on lawschoolnumbers (assuming it's still up / popular) you can see that being a VA resident is a large boost, especially for people who apply early and/or early decision.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests